Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

I thought he would have gotten a better deal.  

Agreed. When I heard the deal I was wondering why wouldn't the Mets have given him that deal? Seemed like he rushed to sign. He should have been able to do better than that, though the annual amount is high.

Did Scherzer have to take Duda's #? 

jfinnegan said:

Agreed. When I heard the deal I was wondering why wouldn't the Mets have given him that deal? Seemed like he rushed to sign. He should have been able to do better than that, though the annual amount is high.

Pure speculation:  He did not like Cohen or the direction to Mets were going in.  Or perhaps he felt slighted by the Mets somehow.  

As to rushing to sign, perhaps he just wanted to make sure he locked a deal up before the lock-out came.  I mean, I would certainly be happy enough with a guaranteed $71 million over three years.

mfpark said:

Pure speculation:  He did not like Cohen or the direction to Mets were going in.  Or perhaps he felt slighted by the Mets somehow.  

As to rushing to sign, perhaps he just wanted to make sure he locked a deal up before the lock-out came.  I mean, I would certainly be happy enough with a guaranteed $71 million over three years.

He did seem annoyed that they didn't make him a priority. He would have been a nice #3. 

I saw a rumor that Granderson is up for manager. He's one of my favorites, but there is no way they're going with a first time manager.

I was hoping to buy t-shirts for my nephews with the Mets' latest acquisitions. They don't have anything available for any of the free agent signings. You would think they would try to cash in a bit around the holidays. Not that I plan on buying Syndergaard stuff, but you would also think they would put it on discount. 

jfinnegan said:

I was hoping to buy t-shirts for my nephews with the Mets' latest acquisitions. They don't have anything available for any of the free agent signings. You would think they would try to cash in a bit around the holidays. Not that I plan on buying Syndergaard stuff, but you would also think they would put it on discount. 

it may be due to the lockout.  MLB has removed all references to current players on the teams' sites.  If you go to the Mets site now, all you'll see are highlights from the 80s and 90s 

It could be. I can't believe they have let it go this far. The last thing the sport needs is to alienate the fans again. 

I think that there are some very difficult issues to work out in the new CBA, but I don't think that they worked with any real urgency to address them in advance.  That is a little tone deaf, if you ask me.  

DanDietrich said:

I think that there are some very difficult issues to work out in the new CBA, but I don't think that they worked with any real urgency to address them in advance. That is a little tone deaf, if you ask me.

How would you expect the urgency to show, though? My union’s urgency comes through in shop papers and other such internal communications, but outsiders would never know. And in my experience, there’s very little that either side can control in union contract negotiations, including tone.

I agree in general.  But I don't think that they were meeting every other day for weeks on end over the summer.  Both sides knew well in advance what the sticking points were.  I suspect that the owners saw an advantage in a stoppage during the free agent season and didn't make much effort over the summer.

jimmurphy said:

Showalter!

I like the move. 

I love it.

Screw the Yankees.

sbenois said:

I love it.

Screw the Yankees.

What? Like, all of them?

Oofah. Tall order.

mrincredible said:

sbenois said:

I love it.

Screw the Yankees.

What? Like, all of them?

Oofah. Tall order.

Did you ever the one about the old bull and the young bull? 

sbenois said:

Screw the Yankees.

That'll land u in Soul's top 9 contributors, I would think.

Train_of_Thought said:

sbenois said:

Screw the Yankees.

That'll land u in Soul's top 9 contributors, I would think.

sbenois knows who invented that saying. Just saying.

Here is a YouTube video I found with Showalter discussing rules.  It makes me feel even better about his hiring.  I just hope he brings in some younger coaches for mentoring.

I'm not surprised by the amount of outs on the infield, but I am surprised by the amount of popouts in foul territory down the 3rd base line. 

I couldn't see that image on my phone, but he needs to go back to what got him there, and stop trying to hit home runs 

DanDietrich said:

I couldn't see that image on my phone, but he needs to go back to what got him there, and stop trying to hit home runs 

Agreed. They left the left side of the infield open for him and he rarely would take advantage. Just slap a ball down the line and take a single or double. 

if McNeil is still around next season, he needs to clean this up.  I think a lot of people wanted to blame the incident in the dugout on Lindor, but it looks like his anger at McNeil may have been justified.  The disrespect toward a Gold Glove teammate is pretty ballsy from a guy like McNeil.  Because if the team has to decide between the two, we all know who's going to be sent packing.

McNeil made two additional misplays on defense as a result of his positioning in late-April when the Mets got swept by the Cubs at Wrigley Field. And as Puma also reported, then manager Luis Rojas actually threatened to bench McNeil if he continued to refuse getting on board with the club's shifting.

As it turns out, Rojas followed through with his warning by sitting McNeil on April 22 in Chicago and April 25 at Citi Field vs. the Nationals, but it is unknown which game he was sat down for disciplinary reasons, per Puma. 

McNeil was dismissive about the team's positioning strategy, which angered Lindor and led to the eventual blow up on May 7. 

“[Lindor] would always try to get him to move and Jeff would be like, ‘Shut up, I got it,’ ” a source told The Post. “It was building and building.”

I think those things clear up pretty easily in general.  That said, as much as I like McNeill I would trade him for minor league prospects.  Same with Smith and Davis.  They are earning team friendly salaries and the farm is close to empty.  

JEFF MCNEIL
2B, NEW YORK METS

Pat Ragazzo of SI.com reports that the Mets plan to make Jeff McNeil available via trade after the lockout ends.
Ragazzo says that the club intends to target pitching help in return. It wouldn't be the ideal time to shop McNeil since he's coming off a disappointing .679 OPS in 2021, but the Mets "have received a substantial amount of calls" asking about his availability, per Ragazzo. Ragazzo also mentions in the report that McNeil's relationship with several teammates has "soured" following an altercation with Francisco Lindor in May, which apparently boiled over in part due to McNeil sometimes refusing to comply with the Mets’ defensive shifting philosophy. McNeil, who turns 30 in April, is under team control through 2024.
SOURCE: SI.com

DanDietrich said:

I think those things clear up pretty easily in general.  That said, as much as I like McNeill I would trade him for minor league prospects.  Same with Smith and Davis.  They are earning team friendly salaries and the farm is close to empty.  

I'm not concerned about grudges. I'm concerned that McNeil will continue to ignore the coaches regarding positioning. 

I wonder if he ignored the coaches with regards to hitting as well. Stick Cano at 2nd. No issues with him ranging too far to get in Lindor's way.

It took me a few mins to figure out this classic baseball puzzle. How about you? 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.