Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

I can't understand why the Mets and Yankees players that are unvaccinated can't play in NY, but unvaccinated visiting teams' players are allowed to play. Where's the logic in that? Has there been anything that lists the % of players that are vaccinated? I know they hadn't reached the threshold last year. I don't believe Conforto was vaccinated.  

jfinnegan said:

I can't understand why the Mets and Yankees players that are unvaccinated can't play in NY, but unvaccinated visiting teams' players are allowed to play. Where's the logic in that? Has there been anything that lists the % of players that are vaccinated? I know they hadn't reached the threshold last year. I don't believe Conforto was vaccinated.  

it's a mandate that employees of NY businesses be vaccinated.  It's not a regulation requiring visitors to those businesses to be vaccinated.  It doesn't make sense on its face, but the intention of the law was to give incentive to residents to get vaccinated, not to force every person who visits a work site to be vaccinated.

Kris Bryant off to the Rockies. Clearly feared Queens.

I'm pretty happy with the team right now, except for the odd relief pitcher. 

Moammar said:

Schwarber to Philly. No fear there.

Top 3 teams in the division looking tough. 

ml1 said:

jfinnegan said:

it's a mandate that employees of NY businesses be vaccinated.  It's not a regulation requiring visitors to those businesses to be vaccinated.  It doesn't make sense on its face, but the intention of the law was to give incentive to residents to get vaccinated, not to force every person who visits a work site to be vaccinated.

And fans can attend the games without being vaccinated.  Really stupid.

yahooyahoo said:

And Kyrie Irving can be in the stands screaming and supporting the Nets without a mask, but he can't play.  

Moammar said:

Now that is a poorly run franchise. I can't believe he would choose to go there. I guess he already has his World Series ring. 

yahooyahoo said:

ml1 said:

jfinnegan said:

again, it only seems stupid because that wasn't the intent of the regulation, to keep fans and players from infecting each other.  It was meant to drive up the overall vaccination %.

Adams is a big Mets fan.

He's been quoted multiple saying times that he thinks "something can be worked out" by the start of the baseball season, which coincides with the start of the NBA Playoffs.

I'm not concerned.

jfinnegan said:

Now that is a poorly run franchise. I can't believe he would choose to go there. I guess he already has his World Series ring. 

His numbers will get inflated in the thin atmosphere, while he gets paid a guaranteed $182MM over 7 years.  The Rockies had him high on their draft wish list before the Cubbies snagged him with a number 2 pick, and later the Rockies tried to trade for him to replace Arenado.  So they have been dialed in on him for years.  The owner apparently loves the guy.

I agree this is one messed-up franchise, with an owner who is far too deep in the mix on major decisions.  The fact that Story refused to seriously consider staying says a lot, especially after Arenado bolted with a ton of ill-will.

jimmurphy said:

Adams is a big Mets fan.

He's been quoted multiple saying times that he thinks "something can be worked out" by the start of the baseball season, which coincides with the start of the NBA Playoffs.

I'm not concerned.

there is a really, really, really simple solution to this "problem."

I've got to believe when J.D. Davis went to university in California he submitted to a multitude of vaccine requirements.  Same with Nimmo when he went to public school in Wyoming.  But now they are apparently among the unvaccinated Mets.  They can just pretend it's an MMR shot, and get themselves vaccinated.

I was discussing with my friends which players would you not be too concerned about if they couldn't play half the season. Nimmo was never mentioned. They're a different team when he's playing. I'm trying to be optimistic and assuming they'll figure this out in the next 3 weeks, but how will it work if a player isn't allowed to play? Will they be able to bring somebody up to replace him or will they have to play with less players?

deGrom today.  Two innings.  Five Ks. 

jeffl said:

In an attempt to make you jealous, I’ll be at Mets-Cards on Sunday in Port Saint Lucie (fingers-crossed for deGrom) and ‘Stros-Cards on Monday in West Palm.  (Mets are off Monday).

I’ll say hi to Yadi. ;-)

jimmurphy said:

jeffl said:

In an attempt to make you jealous, I’ll be at Mets-Cards on Sunday in Port Saint Lucie (fingers-crossed for deGrom) and ‘Stros-Cards on Monday in West Palm.  (Mets are off Monday).

I’ll say hi to Yadi. ;-)

I AM jealous!   Have a great time.  

DeGrom has shoulder tightness and will probably miss his next spring start.  I really hope this isn't more of the same.

Out until at least June. I wonder if he still plans on opting out. 

jfinnegan said:

Out until at least June. I wonder if he still plans on opting out. 

this is a pretty serious injury, there's no way around that.  I think it will now be difficult to opt out, even if he pitches a great half season.  I don't know how many teams will exceed his current contract given the possibility of recurrence of this particular injury.  Honestly, I don't even think we can count on him coming back at anything near 100%.

I had to bail on Twitter on this particular topic.  A lot of fans there seem to need someone to blame for this.  There are people blaming management, the training staff, the abbreviated spring training.  Sometimes there is no one to blame.  Throwing a baseball puts tremendous stress on the arm.  And it may not even be a result of Jake throwing 100 MPH.  Michael Wacha also had this injury early in his career.  Matt Harvey had this injury after he recovered from TOS and wasn't throwing near 100.  Sometimes bad stuff just happens, and there is nobody at fault.

Now Scherzer tweaked his hamstring. 

ml1 said:

this is a pretty serious injury, there's no way around that.  I think it will now be difficult to opt out, even if he pitches a great half season.  I don't know how many teams will exceed his current contract given the possibility of recurrence of this particular injury.  Honestly, I don't even think we can count on him coming back at anything near 100%.

I had to bail on Twitter on this particular topic.  A lot of fans there seem to need someone to blame for this.  There are people blaming management, the training staff, the abbreviated spring training.  Sometimes there is no one to blame.  Throwing a baseball puts tremendous stress on the arm.  And it may not even be a result of Jake throwing 100 MPH.  Michael Wacha also had this injury early in his career.  Matt Harvey had this injury after he recovered from TOS and wasn't throwing near 100.  Sometimes bad stuff just happens, and there is nobody at fault.

I'm trying to be optimistic and listen to Brandon McCarthy on this. He said he had this injury five times and was able to recover fairly quickly. It's tough giving him another big contract when he can't stay healthy for the entire year. 

I'm happy they didn't panic and trade Dom for a pitcher that hasn't been able to crack the Padres' pitching staff. I would have liked Manaea from the A's though. 

I didn't mind Dom for a starter and reliever, but I didn't want Hosmer. Essentially we were adding 24 million to the deal.

jfinnegan said:

ml1 said:

I'm trying to be optimistic and listen to Brandon McCarthy on this. He said he had this injury five times and was able to recover fairly quickly. It's tough giving him another big contract when he can't stay healthy for the entire year. 

I'm happy they didn't panic and trade Dom for a pitcher that hasn't been able to crack the Padres' pitching staff. I would have liked Manaea from the A's though. 

I read McCarthy's comments.  He recovered fully, but he had the same injury multiple times, so while it's great that he always came back, it wasn't so great that the injury kept recurring.  Michael Wacha might be a better scenario.  He had the injury once early in his career, and came back about 2.5 months later.  So that timeline would have deGrom back in late June.

We'll see if the "can't stay healthy" complaint about Jake is fair when he gets back from this injury.  Aside from missing the last month with a nerve impingement in '16, he's been very durable until a year ago.  I believe he's Top 10 in IP among all pitchers from 2014-21.  Some of the injuries last year appeared to be from hitting, so that's nothing to worry about going forward.  So if we look at the last 12 months he's had the UCL sprain and the stress reaction as serious injuries from pitching.  That could point to a trend, or it could just be two unrelated injuries that aren't going to recur.  

and with regard to deGrom opting out, it makes no sense for him NOT to, unless it turns out he can't pitch at all this year.  I didn't realize this until recently, but his contract was structured in such a way that a big chunk of his next two years' salary is deferred.  The money he would get within the years '23 and '24 is way, way below market value.  It's way below what Verlander got coming off TJS.

My guess is that the last two years of the contract were essentially insurance for both sides if deGrom had suffered a career-ending injury before the opt-out year.  That way his family would be paid millions stretched out over many years, and the team wouldn't be on the hook for a big number in those last two years for a guy who wouldn't be pitching.

I really have no issue with his opt out.  That's just business, and I would expect him to look out for himself.  I hope he comes back strong.

DanDietrich said:

I really have no issue with his opt out.  That's just business, and I would expect him to look out for himself.  I hope he comes back strong.

same here. But I didn't realize until a day or two ago that it would be stupid to not opt out. 

I have no problem with him opting out either. He's my favorite Met, but I would be reluctant to offer him more than a 3 year deal. 

I can't make any assessment of what I think he is worth until I see how he does this year, how many pitchers are available on the market, and where salaries stand when he opts out.  

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/jacob-degrom-injury-mets-ace-still-planning-to-opt-out-of-contract-after-2022-season-despite-shoulder-issue/

Despite a stress reaction in his shoulder that will sideline him at least four weeks, New York Mets ace Jacob deGrom still intends to opt out of his contract following the 2022 season, he told reporters this weekend. DeGrom can walk away from the final year and $30.5 million remaining on his deal. His contract also includes a $32.5 million club option for 2024.

"Once this gets behind me, I should be good to go. Body-wise, I felt great, and then this popped up. Once we get this behind us, I'll be good to go," deGrom told MLB.com's Anthony DiComo on Saturday. "... I felt like I put myself in a good position strength-wise this offseason. I think what's the most frustrating part is how good I felt throwing this spring, and then for this to pop up out of nowhere."

It's odd that Conforto hasn't been signed. I had read he hurt his shoulder back in January and was only able to begin fully swinging a couple of weeks ago. Boras cost him tens of millions of dollars. I figured the Dodgers were going to sign him once they traded Pollock for Kimbrel.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.