Movie Talk

I loved "The Railway Men," on Netflix, about the Union Carbide gas leak in Bhopal. You should turn on dubbing though. Pretty much impossible to follow with just subtitles. Such a horrible story well told.  

jeffl said:

I don't know if any of you have heard of this movie, Barbie, but it was great!

On the other end of the spectrum, I loved this movie too... grin

jeffl said:

I don't know if any of you have heard of this movie, Barbie, but it was great!

I keep waiting for Max to release it.  I saw the Fall - then October - then November - as seen here:

Considering the fall season is nearing its end, this latest update could indicate a late November streaming date for Barbie on Max.
119 days after its theatrical opening would be Friday, November 17, a realistic streaming date, but was recently announced at the streaming premiere for DC's Blue Beetle.
Barbie may be released on Max a week later on Friday, November 24, or go slightly past this month to Friday, December 1, 133 days after it opened and kicking off the conclusion of 2023.

And I ended up seeing Blue Beetle - ugh - I really don't like these cookie cutter super hero flicks.

Saw Godzilla Minus One today.

It made me cry.

Recommended.

(Though the next to last  scene was a bit unbelievable. Probably added by some nepo of the producer. And yes, I'm complaining about unbelievable scenes in a monster movie.)

On another note, this was my first movie in Ohio, after living here for a year.

Cost about $6.50.

Yay Ohio!

Apparently the budget for Godzilla was only 15 million, which is pretty astounding.

The documentary about Jon Batiste is very good.

It's on Netflix.

Documentary on Max/CNN about Little Richard is very well done.  Looking forward to the Batiste doc soon.

Oscar are out - no surprises on the list.  Oppenheimer will probably win a few:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/23/entertainment/oscar-nominations-2024/index.html

ugh - another awards show.  I have award show exhaustion.  At least Kimmel is hosting it - that's one plus.

Curious how Rob Peace movie will be, premiering tomorrow at Sundance. Found the book very compelling.

I saw Teacher's Lounge last week - a German-language film that was nominate for best foreign picture. Lots to unpack in this film: it's sort of an allegory of the post-war German psyche. I recommend it. 

I was underwhelmed by the Barbie and Monk movies.  The Barbie movie wants to think its a whip smart surprise like the Lego movies were but its much more of a typical overstuffed Hollywood mess.  Not horrible but hardly special.

Society of the Snow was very good. Excellent acting and cinematography.

It's not graphic but some scenes are tough to watch.

bub said:

I was underwhelmed by the Barbie and Monk movies.

Until I googled “monk movie,” I thought you meant American Fiction.

yahooyahoo said:

Society of the Snow was very good. Excellent acting and cinematography.

It's not graphic but some scenes are tough to watch.

Yeah, I liked it very much. And, yeah, I agree with your description.

DaveSchmidt said:

bub said:

I was underwhelmed by the Barbie and Monk movies.

Until I googled “monk movie,” I thought you meant American Fiction.

There was a Monk movie? Like, in the theaters?

Monk movie streaming on Peacock.

I watched Past Lives tonight on prime. It’s a Korean/American film; beautiful and melancholy. And Greta Lee, wow, va-va-voom. That haircut alone sends chills down my spine. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I watched Past Lives tonight on prime. It’s a Korean/American film; beautiful and melancholy. And Greta Lee, wow, va-va-voom. That haircut alone sends chills down my spine. 

It was very good. Excellent writing and acting.

Started to watch ANATOMY OF A FALL (2023) on Prime. (A woman is suspected of her husband's murder, and their blind son faces a moral dilemma as the main witness. In English, French and German.) After about 45 mins, I shut it off. Too slow, too boring. Too annoying. 

Airplane is still pretty funny.

Also, I came across this good youtube doc about Galaxy Quest.

drummerboy said:

Airplane is still pretty funny.

Also, I came across this good youtube doc about Galaxy Quest.

Amazon Prime has an official doc about Galaxy Quest called Never Surrender which I think is better, although that one's pretty good if you don't have Prime.

Yup. I've seen never surrender.

How did I just find out that Cooper Hoffman, of Licorice Pizza, is the son of  Philip Seymour Hoffman?

What?

drummerboy said:

How did I just find out that Cooper Hoffman, of Licorice Pizza, is the son of  Philip Seymour Hoffman?

What?

More nepotism.  yaayyyyyy.

yahooyahoo said:

drummerboy said:

What?

More nepotism.  yaayyyyyy.

Wait till you find out that Alana Haim's mom was Paul Thomas Anderson's elementary school art teacher, and that her character's family is played by her own family, and that Leonardo Di Caprio's dad is in it, and that Anderson was best friends with Philip Seymour Hoffman and made home movies with him and Cooper as he was growing up, and that Anderson wrote the part with Cooper in mind, and that Anderson's kids are also in it.

yahooyahoo said:

More nepotism. yaayyyyyy.

When an uncle asked to be my avatar, I declined.

I just saw Origin, which is based on the book Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents by Isabel Wilkerson

Holy ****!

blew me away. I was in tears for the last hour of the movie. No joke.

If you care about the issue of racism, see it. Not a fun movie though, to say the least.

Now I need to read the book, which has been on my list for awhile...

They're showing Godfather 2 on the big screen here next week. Think I'll go. I've always loved the depiction of the Italian neighborhoods in old New York. Some of my most favorite bits of movie-making.

I just saw American Fiction.

Quite good - better than I expected. Funny. Clever. Half way through I realized that the movie was about itself and then at the end it actually became about itself. A well done turn.

And I had no idea Leslie Uggams had become a well-known actress. At first I thought it was some other Leslie Uggams, but no, it's that one. And geez she looks good for 80. Which is what a first threw me because I couldn't see how this youngish looking person could be the 60's singer I grew up with.

Anyway, thus ends my African American History Month at the Movies (TM)

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.