Movie Talk

bub said:

Roadhouse is an oddity.  A truly terrible, supremely dumb movie but somehow entertaining.  You can't look away.  

I agree. A dumb movie but entertaining. Jake was good, in my opinion, but Conor McGregor was awful.

Anatomy of a Fall is wonderful. 

This was a sweet, low key sci fi movie and only 90 minutes. It purports to

take place in Boonton "PA" but I could tell it was filmed in Boonton NJ

and the production notes say it was filmed in Chatham as well.  With Ben Kingsley and

Jane Curtin.

Jules

Jules

Jules follows Milton (Ben Kingsley) who lives a quiet life of routine in a small western Pennsylvania town, but ...

bub said:

and the production notes say it was filmed in Chatham as well.  With Ben Kingsley and

Jane Curtin.

Jules

Jules

Jules follows Milton (Ben Kingsley) who lives a quiet life of routine in a small western Pennsylvania town, but ...

Streaming? Or in a theater?

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

bub said:

Jane Curtin.

Jules

Jules

Streaming? Or in a theater?

Streaming now on Paramount+ w/ Showtime. It came out last year.

I think I streamed it on Kanopy.  I don't get Paramount or Showtime.

it's available all over the place

drummerboy said:

it's available all over the place

It's available with subscription on Paramount+ w/ Showtime, or you can rent it for $3.99. 

Watched Musica on Prime last night. It's a fun personal journey written and directed by an actor/musician with synesthesia named Rudy Mancuso. If you're one those people, like me, that see and hear music everywhere (for me, it's rhythm; I'm constantly tapping and drumming along with life on the table, on the steering wheel; for others it could be melody and/or harmony) this film is for you. It's short (90 mins.) and I thought it was very charmingly done. Fun cameo by JB Smoove. 

rcarter31 said:

Scoop on Netflix!

Prince Andrew's "Tour de Force"

ridski said:

It's available with subscription on Paramount+ w/ Showtime, or you can rent it for $3.99. 

It’s on Kanopy for free.

Okokokok said:

ridski said:

It’s on Kanopy for free.

It is on my Library account, but not on my University account.

Saw a 1942 film with Hepburn and Tracy that had political dialogue that could have been in any current CNN discussion. Keeper of the Flame directed by George Cukor. Worth watching. It was on the Movie channel on Optimum.

Morganna said:

Saw a 1942 film with Hepburn and Tracy that had political dialogue that could have been in any current CNN discussion. Keeper of the Flame directed by George Cukor. Worth watching. It was on the Movie channel on Optimum.

It's a goody!   Making the rounds on Movies! Channel on Comcast

rcarter31 said:

It's a goody!   Making the rounds on Movies! Channel on Comcast

That revelatory Hepburn speech near the end was completely relevant to today's political climate.

Someone is wide awake at programming.

Think I'm gonna see Civil War today. Will report back.

Civil War was excellent. Just great. Gripping. Clever.

There are a handful of horrific and brutal scenes. A few times it was hard to watch. Not gory, but graphic and intense.

The politics are kept in the deep, deep background - we don't know how the conflict started at all and the sides and issues are barely delineated. Just hinted at here and there. Scenes actually depicting one side fighting against the other are few and far between and usually ambiguous. The movie is primarily about 4 journalists driving about 900 miles to get to D.C.

For anyone who cares, the Prez is clearly a Trump figure (at least to me he was), but that's not central at all.

Good performances all around. Jesse Plemons makes a brief but terrifying appearance. Nick Offerman as Prez has about 2 minutes of screen time, but I'm a fan so I liked his performance. The only other actor I knew was Kirsten Dunst, who does a fine job.

Recommended, but again, it has some intense moments. Not a fun movie.

drummerboy said:

Civil War was excellent. Just great. Gripping. Clever.

There are a handful of horrific and brutal scenes. A few times it was hard to watch. Not gory, but graphic and intense.

The politics are kept in the deep, deep background - we don't know how the conflict started at all and the sides and issues are barely delineated. Just hinted at here and there. Scenes actually depicting one side fighting against the other are few and far between and usually ambiguous. The movie is primarily about 4 journalists driving about 900 miles to get to D.C.

For anyone who cares, the Prez is clearly a Trump figure (at least to me he was), but that's not central at all.

Good performances all around. Jesse Plemons makes a brief but terrifying appearance. Nick Offerman as Prez has about 2 minutes of screen time, but I'm a fan so I liked his performance. The only other actor I knew was Kirsten Dunst, who does a fine job.

Recommended, but again, it has some intense moments. Not a fun movie.

Thanks, can't wait to see this one. 

I think I'm gonna see The First Omen today.

drummerboy said:

I think I'm gonna see The First Omen today.

meh. could have skipped this one. the most interesting thing was seeing how the movie paid homage to The Omen and Rosemary's Baby.

In general, I thought it was kind of confusing.

I will say though that the lead actress Nell Tiger Free (what a name) at one point puts on a display of physical acting that was very impressive. It's near the end and if you see it you'll immediately know what I'm referring to.

IMO it's not worth the price of admission though. I expected more of the movie based on the few reviews I looked at.

I think Monkey Man is next, though I have read that it's pretty gory, which is not a favorite in my old age.

Also, both Civil War and The First Omen continue the bothersome practice of depicting explicit vomiting. Worst trend in movie making of the 21st century.

If you want a different take on The First Omen, it was the following review which convinced me to go watch it.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-first-omen-movie-review-2024

I don't know the reviewer, but I think I will avoid her in the future.

You can read the comment section of the review for a more accurate view of the movie.

Morganna said:

That revelatory Hepburn speech near the end was completely relevant to today's political climate.

Someone is wide awake at programming.

If you want to catch this timely goodie, Saturday April 20, 9:45 Comcast 1177.

rcarter31 said:

If you want to catch this timely goodie, Saturday April 20, 9:45 Comcast 1177.

I caught 2 other classics with timely speeches on Movies!, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town and Meet John Doe. Would have loved to finish the night with Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. We could use another Frank Capra.

so I saw Monkey Man. don't have much to say. not really my thing. filmed in perpetual night. lots of fighting. lots of blood. well done I guess, but not for me.

I saw Interstellar today on the big screen.

I still don't understand that damn movie.

Watched GREATEST HITS yesterday. Just released a week or two ago. It's a HIGH-FIDELITY wannabe. Not so great. A bit amateurishly made and the cutesy setup left me cold. 

Last night, for no discernable reason, I decided to re-watch FLIGHT, with Denzel Washington. Aside from the fact that just about anything with Denzel Washington is worth re-watching, it's a very engaging film, full of dramatic, frightening  and comic scenes. Kudos to John Goodman for his rather hysterical cameo. Melissa Leo, one of my favorite actors, also makes an appearance in a small but powerful role at the end. I'm not usually a fan of director Robert Zemeckis (Forrest Gump, a film I continue to loathe) but he doesn't go overboard on this one with effects, just some great airplane disaster action. And what comes next. Highly recommended for a weeknight amusement. On Prime. 

I like Flight a lot. Have seen it a few times. Goodman's brief appearance is great and that whole scene is so over the top

Inception has been re-released for this week. Probably will go today or tomorrow.

I saw Villains, Inc. this past weekend. Or, almost saw. I walked out halfway through. Haven't done that in who knows how long. It wasn't that it was horrible, it was that I felt completely disconnected from what was going on in the movie. As someone said on IMDB, it was "bland and unmoving". Should have read that guy's review first.

I don't usually pick duds, but now I've picked like 3 in a row, not counting Interstellar, which was a known quantity.

Luckily movies are relatively cheap out here.

I watched "Anyone But You" on Netflix last night. This movie has been promoted as a great romcom. One of the best films on Netflix this month. I thought it was awful. Dumb-**** peeps. Some nice-looking actors, that's for sure, but a lousy movie. 

Also watched Coen "Brothers Burn After Reading" this weekend.  Also about some dumb-**** people but much more clever and funny. And a fantastic cast.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.