Movie Talk

annielou said:

Morganna King perfectly cast as mama Corleone. Uncanny in fact. Her entire family first attitude very on point.

My parents had all of those preserved albums with glamorous covers of female singers in stunning gowns and having never seen Morgana King, I guess I expected her to look like Julie London or Peggy Lee. Actually her voice had a Julie London quality.  My dad at the piano, my mother trying on a gown to wear to work. I guess those singers were frozen in time for me as were my parents.

Watching Madam Curie for the first time. Walter Pidgeon is a bit stiff, but Greer Garson makes for a pretty great and vibrant scientist.

ETA: damn. Can't remember being more affected by a character's death than I was by Mr. Curie's. I knew it was coming and I started to yell at the TV, don't die! don't die!

Very sad. (me or the death. not sure which is sadder.  cheese )

Morganna said:

My friend Michael Wincott was in the Sicilian. I'm not sure I ever got through the movie. Parts 1 and 2 were good but 3, no. The casting of Sofia Coppola in that romance with Andy Garcia that fell flat. I blocked out most of it. 

I was never mad about Diane Keaton in that series either. Come to think of it Talia Shire was annoying as well. 

I was shocked in the first movie that Morgana King was Morgana King. After hearing that moody voice singing A Taste of Honey, I had an entirely different image of her. Sometimes I'd rather just hear the song and make up my own vision of the singer.

You're friends with Michael Wincott? I love that guy!

ridski said:

We met at a club I worked at, Xenon. He and his brother Jeff were in from Canada and Michael had not landed his first part. Fun guy. We'd get  together whenever he came to town. Later he started dating the actress Kelly McGillis. We've been out of touch for a long time. I liked him in Robin Hood.

His brother Jeff landed a detective role in a Canadian series. 

Watching Compulsion on FXM Retro, which is turning into a very interesting channel. Haven't paid much attention to it before.

Orson Welles hasn't shown up yet.

Morganna said:

ridski said:

We met at a club I worked at, Xenon. He and his brother Jeff were in from Canada and Michael had not landed his first part. Fun guy. We'd got  together whenever he came to town. Later he started dating the actress Kelly McGillis. We've been out of touch for a long time. I liked him in Robin Hood.

His brother Jeff landed a detective role in a Canadian series. 

Awesome! Favorite Michael Wincott roles for me include The Crow, Basquiat, 1492: Conquest of Paradise, and Alien Resurrection (not a great movie but I liked him in it). And of course Prince of Thieves.

ridski said:

Awesome! Favorite Michael Wincott roles for me include The Crow, Basquiat, 1492: Conquest of Paradise, and Alien Resurrection (not a great movie but I liked him in it). And of course Prince of Thieves.

He also played in Along Came A Spider. Every time it is on I get excited thinking it's the other film Kiss The Girls, the other James Patterson which is much more interesting. Along Came A Spider has been on Showtime lately.

I'll have to tell my ex to look for the Basquiat film if he hasn't seen it. He's a big fan of the artist. 

Watching Eric Roberts on an episode of SVU reminded me of a seldom run movie that I really enjoyed, The Pope of Greenwich Village.

Anybody a fan?

Morganna said:

Watching Eric Roberts on an episode of SVU reminded me of a seldom run movie that I really enjoyed, The Pope of Greenwich Village.

Anybody a fan?

The book is better but the movie is not bad at all.  

Rented Fishermen's Friends over the weekend. Light fluff set in Cornwall (the same town Doc Martin is filmed in). Looks great, has some fun dialogue, and brilliantly-sung sea shanties. Basic plot is that a music agent is told to sign a group of sea shanty-singing fishermen as a joke, but realizes they are a unique act and decides to pursue getting them a record-deal. Very loosely based on a true story (but not at the expense of those in the real band, who also appear in it and provide much of the vocal performances.)  A definite recommendation if you liked The Commitments or The Sapphires, or any rom-commie thing with lots of stirring musical numbers.

I loved The Commitments.

And speaking or singing of sea shanties, has anybody seen The Secret of Roan Inish? Gorgeous story about my favorite sea creatures sung about in such a song, Selkies.

Welcome to Movie Talk, Mr. Sayles!

I'm watching Rocky Balboa and I'm sucked back into the Rocky franchise. 

Actually got to meet Stallone at Xenon when he filmed Night Hawks. 

To his artistic credit he once owned a painting by one of my favorite artists William Adolphe Bouguereau  Alma Parens.

For The Princess Bride fans, the original cast is doing a reading of the movie tonight as a benefit for the Wisconsin Democratic Party.

Contribute any amount at this link to get access to the reading.

Good Will Hunting is a great movie.

That's all.

Just concluded on TCM: 3:10 to Yuma.

From theme song to final frames, pound for pound my favorite western.

DaveSchmidt said:

Hmm, tough category for me but I'm going with Little Big Man.

good TCM lineup today : Fail-Safe, Sergeant York, Guys and Dolls, Gilda

DaveSchmidt said:

I don't think I have a favorite. The Western genre and me have never really clicked.

OTOH, does The Quick and the Dead (1995) count? That's definitely a fave.

Morganna said:

Hmm, tough category for me but I'm going with Little Big Man.

3:10 to Yuma certainly doesn’t have the sweep of some westerns like Little Big Man or one of my other faves, Once Upon a Time in the West. But for a compact 90 minutes of action, suspense and character study, with Glenn Ford and Van Heflin perfectly matched atop a cast full of fine performances and stunning B&W cinematography under the direction by Delmer Daves, it can’t be beat. (The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, though not as tight, comes close.)

drummerboy said:

good TCM lineup today : Fail-Safe, Sergeant York, Guys and Dolls, Gilda

As a musicals fan did you like Mama Mia?  I fell for several of the catchy Abba tunes although I never bought any of their music. Cheery sing along stuff for the car.

There are better Westerns than "High Noon"?

Gary Cooper gets my vote as the most overrated actor of Old Hollywood, so my answer — mind you, just one viewer’s opinion, and only because you asked — is yes.

For an overrated actor, he was awfully popular and starred in a lot more classic films than most actors of that time.

Just sayin'.

If he weren’t awfully popular, it’d be hard for him to be overrated.

He was overrated because he was so popular? So, people shouldn't have liked him?

You’ll have to explore on your own time, DB, the rare, inscrutable logic that leads someone to opine that something or someone else is overrated.

Westerns.  At the classic end, I take Shane over High Noon.  At the obscure end, I love Barbarosa, with Willie Nelson and Gary Busey, directed by Aussie Fred Schepisi.

The Sisters Brothers is a great western novel that was well adapted to the screen.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!