Movie Talk

jamie said:

Saw Wonder Woman 1984

I really didn't get the big whoop about the first one either.  Another in the crowded field of big budget, formulaic superhero movies we are afflicted with.    

jamie said:

Saw Wonder Woman 1984 - so lame.  The new Clooney one, The Midnight Sky, was pretty bad also.

I saw the Clooney one and it was riddled with space movie cliches. 

Saw a beautiful film, Ophelia. Hamlet's love from her perspective. Like walking through a Pre Raphaelite painting. On Showtime.

Watched “Residue” on Netflix. Hard to find in their lineup and would not have even known about it had it not popped up on a few “ best” lists. Don’t generally like lists but I’m glad I found this one. Can’t go home anymore, gentrification, lots of topics in this one.

Also, if u like movies about movies, Mank on Netflix is pretty good.

Morganna said:

Saw a beautiful film, Ophelia. Hamlet's love from her perspective. Like walking through a Pre Raphaelite painting. On Showtime.

A poem you might like. I did.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/11/03/didnt-get-nunnery

Went to a theater yesterday to see News of the World, the new Tom Hanks western. It was quite good if a bit quiet. Hanks can’t not be decent and slow moving. 

Wow you went to a theater.  What was it like?

Watched one last night so I'm recommending "The Trip" series of movies starring Steve Coogan, Brit comedic actor who you probably know from a number of movies, and his friend Rob Brydon, who is apparently a successful (quite funny) funnyman in Britain but unknown to me outside of these movies.  They play themselves traveling across Europe on assignment from a magazine to eat at and review restaurants in various beautiful vacation places.  There's a touch of My My Dinner with Andre about it, though funnier and broader. They spend a lot of time sitting at tables tweaking each other while waiting for their dishes, doing hilarious impressions, but also revealing their personal and career anxieties and disappointments.  It's also a bit of foodie show as well because they always show scenes of the food being prepared in the restaurants they are eating at:  https://www.polygon.com/2020/5/19/21262709/the-trip-movies-steve-coogan-rob-brydon-michael-winterbottom-travel

DaveSchmidt said:

A poem you might like. I did.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/11/03/didnt-get-nunnery

Very interesting perspective. Yes I liked it.

annielou said:

Watched “Residue” on Netflix. Hard to find in their lineup and would not have even known about it had it not popped up on a few “ best” lists. Don’t generally like lists but I’m glad I found this one. Can’t go home anymore, gentrification, lots of topics in this one.

Thanks for this.  I lived in DC late 70's, early 80's when condo conversion became a thing.  I wanted to buy one on Q st., the neighborhood featured in this film, with my dad as a co-signer.  When he drove up to look at it, he never got out of the car; just said no way because there was too much crime.  I haven't been back to DC in decades, and probably wouldn't recognize it if I did.  Very moving film.

If you like watching foodie movies, check out the documentary Funke on Amazon Prime. A fascinating look at handmade pasta, among other things.

I saw Soul. Highly recommended. On Disney Plus.

drummerboy said:

I saw Soul. Highly recommended. On Disney Plus.

I’m thinking of subscribing to Disney+ just to watch SOUL and The Stand. 

Yeah, it's worth the 7 bucks a month. And you can cancel any time.

drummerboy said:

Yeah, it's worth the 7 bucks a month. And you can cancel any time.

Thanks, will do, early next year. 

Just saw Soul - really good!  Not what I expected.

Long on my list, I finally caught up with this 17 minute sci fi animation, which has a huge cult and critical following.  It's weirdly profound sad, and funny.  Definitely thought-provoking.  You have to rent (or buy) it via Vimeo:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/world_of_tomorrow_2015

Went to a theater yesterday to see “Promising Young Woman” with Carey Mulligan. I liked it very much. It’s a weird amalgam of feelings and tones but it comes to a shattering conclusion that can’t be mistaken.  

"Crip Camp" was a revelation.  Smart, uplifting and off beat all at once.  100% rating on RT.

It's Elvis Presley day on TCM.

drummerboy said:

Hmmm, not a fan. But thanks for the tip. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

drummerboy said:

Hmmm, not a fan. But thanks for the tip. 

I'm not really either, but I decided to watch Jailhouse Rock, and it's actually pretty good.

I was back at the theater this weekend to see FATALE. (I should note that I've been going to the cinemas at Newport Mall in Jersey City ad the theater has been very sparsely attended. The 5pm show yesterday had about 8 people in attendance.) 

It was a fun, sexy, violent thriller. (What a a strange collection of adjectives.)  Cast was all really good. Not an Oscar-type movie but a very good diversion. I think it's also on streaming somewhere. 

It's been very nice being back at the theater. 

Watching In the Heat of the Night on TCM.

One of my all time favorite movies. Steiger is phenomenal in this.

Really enjoyed News Of The World.  

On Wednesday evenings, my 2 adult kids and I do a remote movie night. We all watch the designated movie and then jump on a zoom to discuss it, and then just chat about stuff. We've seen some great and not so great movies (i.e., The Lobster)

Tomorrow night we're watching The Great Escape 1963), one of my very all-time favorites.  I remember watching it as a kid. I may have even seen it in a theater at some point. 

It has special meaning for my kids because their British grandfather, my father-in-law, was an RAF flyer and was shot down and spent 4 years in the very camp this story was based on. I spoke to him about it a number of years ago, before he passed away, and he always chuckled and said that in many aspects, the film was accurate. But there was no Steve McQueen, As a matter of fact there were no Americans. 

He kept in touch with the guys from the camp and they had occasional reunions. I think the very last one passed away a few years ago. 

ETA - here’s an article about my father in law. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2474843/amp/Rolex-watch-worn-RAF-officer-queued-turn-crawling-tunnel-Great-Escape-emerges-sale.html

damn. and all this time I thought Sal Mineo was in West Side Story.

As an aside, I actually really liked The Lobster.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!