My Life with Dogs and Cats

Posted By: jeannehThanks PeggyC for rec to warm up the drops. I hadn't.

I hope that helped... I've had enough experience lately with eardrops to know that putting them in at room temperature can be downright painful. That came as quite a surprise to me!

Hope everyone at the Jeanneh house is feeling better. :flowers:

Hi jeanneh! I hope you are feeling better soon. Glad to hear Simmy and the beagle babies are doing well. I think Sim is just so lucky to be with you and have such a fun family of humans and dogs to live with. Lord knows, you are so patient and gentlke... I bet even when cursing up a string of 'em. ; )
Keep posting! I love your blog. And yes, try to get out in this gorgeous weather!
C/L

Don't underestimate the medicinal properties of doggie drool! :rolling:

Puppy Training Log 04.08.10

CALLIOPE--the drool is making me feel better already--or the Z-pack--either one or both I guess.

Yesterday morning in my delirium, I accidentally left the door to the pantry open, and took Simmy for her walk. When I returned I found Bella with her head deep in the puppy food bag. (NOT HER FOOD). She had eaten at least half the bag of Iams Smart Puppy food. Her diet has been seriously compromised!

This is the part where I shouldn't laugh at her, but I can't help myself. After an hour Bella was lethargic. She tucked her head under the couch pillows and really was feeling sick. I thought about making her throw up, but changed my mind. All day long she lay around being miserable. I can tell you that every "OUT" was greeted with great relief on her part.

By evening she wanted dinner (LOL). She's a beagle for goodness sake--they love to eat. I wavered between feeding her, and making her skip dinner. In the end I allowed her dinner, but less than her usual share. She went "OUT" a few extra times and by bed time, I thought she was finished. BUT--no--NO NO NO NO..Noooooooooo.

Twice in the night she got out of bed. I know this because twice in the night she woke me asking to lift her back up. She had been too sick or too full to jump up herself. I have been taking NyQuill so I can sleep. At the time, under the influence of drugs, I hadn't considered WHY she had gotten up. She likes to lay in front of the fan when it is hot--so I thought maybe that was it--no more thought about it.

THE PART I HATE ABOUT HAVING DOGS:
This morning I awoke, feeling better, able to breathe, and able to finally....SMELL....UGH!

My living room floor was a MESS! Poor Bella! She had been sick-thrown up, and poo'd everywhere. The puppy food is so rich, and her system just isn't used to so much rich foods. I think it more the SO MUCH part. BUT because she is a princess she had not gotten any on her paws, and remained clean (unlike Hunter and Simone a while back).

Bella remained upstairs this morning while I cleaned her mess. I did see her look down at me and then go back to bed. SHE KNOWS SHE'S IN big-T.

Since it is MY FAULT for leaving the pantry door open, I wasn't that harsh with her, since she really doesn't behave like this on a normal basis. It is clear she was seriously not feeling well.

THE PART I LOVE ABOUT DOGS:

Before I left all 3 dogs had eaten, walked and were resting together on the couch. Everyone seems happy and healthy (BELLA), and were such loves. No one breaks down anymore and howls (HUNTER), and it's a nice way to leave--knowing they are content.

Bella has my son with her all day today, so I don't expect anymore accidents. Hopefully it's all out of her system.

Oh my! Not a nice wake-up call!!!

OTHO, it's great to know your olfactory factory is functioning again!

What a mess, though. I feel ya on that one, j.

Puppy Training Log 04.09.10

I was very pleased with Simmy last night when I arrived home. She greeted me (toy in mouth) nicely and allowed Hunter and Bella to greet me without attack or tumble. And all were calm.

It just is amazing to me that I can report this over and over, and feel we've come a long way from just a few moths ago.

Like I said in an earlier post, the house is calm now. Our walks are calm, for the most part. The most part being, if Hunter spots a rabbit, or smells a fresh track of a critter, he's a' howling, and pulling, and Bella follows him--because, well, that's what beagles do.

My next huge undertaking will be walking all 3 dogs together. Currently the beagles walk together and Simmy walks alone with me. This is because previously Simmy spends her entire walk attacking the beagles and wrestling them to the ground, and no one does anything they are supposed to be doing on their walk. I'm going to start by walking Simmy with one beagle at a time, and eventually add a second beagle to the mix.

I see Cesar Millan walking like 10 dogs at once on TV and I think--I hate that man! I'm kidding, I'm just jealous....
My end goal to success is June. SO I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

Puppy Training Log 04.10.10

Poor Simmy! We saw Dr. Rogers this morning, and her ear infection seems to be getting worse with a secondary bacterial infection that is now being treated with antibiotic pills, plus ear drops. She was given a shot of antibiotics to start this morning,. The next phase will be flushing the ear--and I really don't want to go there. She already sweats like mad and sheds when she is at the vet and he really has never hurt her. Imagine if he has to actually touch her!

After going to the vet I treated Simmy to her choice of bones at the NEW Milburn pet shop (formally Maplewood Pet Shop). She was terrified of the balloons outside and we had to leave the store through the back door. Then, after all the excitement--she threw up her breakfast in the backseat of my BMW!

Oh the joy of having dogs....

Oh, poor Simmy, and poor Jeanneh! I hope she recovers soon. Ear infections can be a bitch. No pun intended. :wink:

Oh she was so over-done by just that vet visit! Off the hook, man. Poor baby. and yes, poor you. Doggy vomit in the bmw is the very definition of gross. and then terrified by the evil monster balloons.

I hesitate to mention this but ... I flush my dogs' ears when they have the need, using a drying agent with anti-microbial properties to it. Would you be able to do that? Or is the vet intending to put her under anesthesia in order to flush them ultar clear? Which of course does require Simmy be KO'd.

Do you have a pain medication for her? Some docs seem oblivious to the fact that ear infections can require something (for pain relief) to make life bearable - at least until the antibiotics and anti-fungal meds kick in and do their work.

Puppy Training Log 04.12.10

Critter--no pain meds and Simmy usually will complain if she is not 100%, so I don't think she is too uncomfortable. (LOL) on the idea that Simmy would allow me to flush her ears AWAKE! I have a hard enough time getting 4 drops of meds in each day.

Two Simmy reports--one good, one bad.

The GOOD: I have been taking Simmy and 1 beagle with me on walks and Simmy is not attacking either beagle on the walks. I have a "0" tolerance with her for even a nip, and she seems to understand me and has not really done anything bad on the walks. I'm not ready to take both beagles along with Simmy--only because I'm not sure I'd be strong enough to hold all 3 if they started acting up. It's going to be more of a work up to THAT kinda thing.

The BAD: My son came home Sunday and Simmy went nuts and I was unable to control her--no sit stay, no nothing. It was like she shut out everything around her and went into CRAZY mode. Beagles were knocked over, furniture was moved, my son was nipped, and she even nipped at me, but missed. We had to remove her from the room forcibly.

The strange part about this is, that my daughter had come home the day before, having been away a whole week, and Simmy greeted her nicely and without incident.

Puppy Training Log 04.14.10

One day until your taxes are due!!!...just reminding everyone.

Well, my order for the 30' long lead never arrived, and our frisbee playing has been on hold. I finally was able to cancel that order--since they haven't sent it, and ordered a new one from a different vendor. Hopefully soon it should arrive, and I will be playing with Simone in the front yard. She really needs more active play time.

All 3 dogs have been restless the past few days. I had to take Simone out in the dark last night to blow off some energy. She is a mess out in the dark, jumping and pulling to return home out of fear of every odd sound around her. I never thought dogs could be afraid of the dark?

Beagle and Simone walks are working with a single beagle in tow. It doesn't matter if it's Hunter or Bella that walks along--things are OK. Both kids will be with me this weekend, so I hope to have them help me with adding another beagle to the mix to see how everyone behaves walking together.

I've been mulling over an idea to make Bella a character in a children's book called Bella the House Beagle Princess. I'm looking for an illustrator. Bella has no idea I'll be using her for profit. She'll probably demand 50% of it for dog toys and treats. I'll let everyone one know how things progress.

Puppy Training Log 04.19.10

FINALLY our 30ft long lead has arrived and some of you may have observed some Frisbee fun time if you were driving by this weekend.

Simone's ears seemed to be great until last night, when she started scratching again. I am calling Dr. Rogers. I may have to just go ahead and have her ears flushed. This means my baby has to be sedated, and I hate THAT. I also hate leaving her, since she is terrified of going to the vets. Her feet sweat, and her hair sheds terrible.

On a separate topic, Bella Mia has started burrowing into my pillows at night, and I am worried I will suffocate her. All last night I kept waking up and moving her out from under a bunch of pillows, but she kept burrowing back in.

Hunter was bounced off the arm of the couch Saturday (by Simone) and I thought for sure his leg was broken. He lay on the floor crying...and when he finally got up he couldn't put weight on his leg. We were all stunned, and he wouldn't let me touch it. I was looking up the # to the emergency vet when COOKIES were offered in the kitchen. Hunter ran in (no limping) and did a little dance on his back legs....THAT BRAT! He is FINE!!! He was just ACTING.

Are there academy awards for dogs??????

Puppy Training Log 04.20.10

Poor Simone!
Thursday morning she will go to have her ears flushed.
I was so excited that her ears seemed clear and clean on Saturday, but Sunday night she started crying and scratching. By Monday night the left ear smelled AGAIN. Our vet is closed Wed, so early Thursday she'll go in for an ear flushing. Meanwhile, I have a TINY bit more of her ear drops left and will concentrate it in her left ear. Her right ear seems fine.

I hate leaving her all day at the vets. I know it really upsets her. I'll bring a chew toy and a towel that smells like me, and so hopefully that helps her deal with it. I won't be home to get her until 6:30-7pm.

I wanted to get her a head cone. Milburn Pet Shop didn't have one, and couldn't have one delivered until next week, and PetSmart has some, but they are impossible to clip on. ARG!

Bella didn't burrow into the pillows last night, so I did manage to get a better nights rest.

Puppy Training Log 04.21.10

I am so worried about Simone, I am counting down the time we'll see the vet. Last night she was talking like Scooby-Doo. She kept looking at me like "Do something about my ears!", and then would rub and rub against the couch.

My kids assure me that her behavior is reserved just for me and she does not complain to them about anything.

Both my beagles do reserve some behaviors just for me, so maybe the kids are right about Simone.

This morning Simone woke Hunter, and Hunter got up and pulled the sheets off the bed, and proceeded to unfold some folded clothes in the bedroom. By 5:15am ( THAT'S RIGHT...wee hours) I had to get up to stop the chaos and take them out. I had one eye glued shut, wearing old tattered sweats, and a head of hair that looked like someone electrocuted me as I took the dogs out. I was sooo pretty!

Bella is NOT a morning dog and would have preferred to stay in bed longer, but Hunter and Simone were raring to go! WALK, Breakfast, WALK, WALK...all in my glorious morning beauty.....

I was back in bed by 6:20am sans les chiens. I got another 45 minutes of sleep before I had to REALLY get up.

Puppy Training Log 04.22.10

Simone went to Dr. Rogers this morning at 8:45am. I was expecting to leave her for the day so I brought her food, a bone, her towel, and a bunch of dog treats. She was stressed out so much even before he examined her.
She really gets herself all worked up.

It appears that Simone does not have another ear infection after all. All the scratching, rubbing and complaining, and all the redness, and super hot feeling is allergies. She is suffering from severe allergies. Her eyes and her nostrils are effected, and I think her mouth area is extra pink today.

She does not appear to have hives or anything else.

We will start with regular Bendryl for kids, at 25mg, 3X day and hope that gives her some relief. I feel so bad for her.

On the way home she got sick in the car AGAIN! This time it was so gross I nearly lost it myself.

Posted By: jeannehAll the scratching, rubbing and complaining, and all the redness, and super hot feeling is allergies. She is suffering from severe allergies.

Yup - my cat was diagnosed with allergies yesterday. The biggest problem is getting him to take his pills (Prednisone). So far not one dose has been ingested, so I'm going to see if a pharmacy can emulsify them so I can put in ears.

Did you know that animals suffered from seasonal allergies? I had no idea!

I had a cat for 18 years who was allergic to almost everything. I couldn't have her fixed, or have her get yearly shots, or let her go outside, or wash her bedding with fabric softener, or feed her anything but Friskies seafood flavored dry food. She could not be treated for fleas, she was unable to tolerate medications....it was endless.

It is amazing she lived so long, because she was always sickly.
She was also crazy--but that didn't have anything to with her allergies.

The difference here is Simone cries and complains to me. She's waking up in the morning itching like crazy and hurting herself scratching.

Simone will eat anything I cover in peanut butter so I shouldn't have any problem getting the pills into her. Would your kitty like peanutbutter?

Hmm, haven't tried peanut butter, but both of my cats normally eschew people food, which baffles me (they will eat a little tuna but not all of the tiny bit I occasionally give them). I just called South Orange Pharmacy and my vet and they're going to confer to see if emulsified Prednisone will work. I just want him to feel better, poor boo.

Puppy Training Log (or confessions from a drug dealer) 04.23.10

Simone is stoned.

I really didn't know what to expect from giving her Benadryl, except some relief for her allergies and stop her scratching herself so badly. But this medicine knocks her on her butt.

Last night I gave her the 1st dose right before making dinner.

Usually she is at me to give her a treat, or right there to grab anything that might drop on the floor while dinner is being prepped, but that was not the case last night. By the time dinner was on the table, Simone was on the couch snoring. At 10:30pm it was time to wake her up and take her out.

She was funny...by funny I mean...outside stuff freaked her out. She was so busy freaking out over people walking by, a noise across the street, and in general...just being out there she wouldn't go to the bathroom. Finally around 11pm, my son was able to get her to do SOMETHING outside so we could go to bed.

She was so ready for bed and was in her place all curled up and sleeping before I finished getting myself ready.

This morning--she was her usual self--scratching, so I gave her another dose and wrote a warning note to the dog walker. "Dear Dog Walker--SIMONE is on drugs, and may be acting weird. Please give her another pill with peanut butter before you leave. All is on the counter."

I hope she is awake when I get home!:surprised:

I was wondering about that as soon as I read "benedryl." When I can't sleep, that's what I take, and it puts me right out. Poor Simone. But at least she's taking it, and hopefully it will give her some relief.

I've never seen a year like this for allergies, particularly with pets. Crazy stuff. Before this year I never even gave a thought to pets with allergies.

Puppy drug dealer 04.26.10

Simone remains high most of the time. Life has been peaceful to say the least. She does not scratch herself so much and all of the bright redness in her ears, her mouth and tummy are gone.

She is not so interested in playing frisbee now, nor is she really initiating any type of pull play--which she usually asks.

I've been trying to keep her outside time limited, since the vet seems to think it's the pollen that is causing such severe reactions in her. I was worried her energy level would get out of hand without long walks, but the drugs seem to keep her down.

Last night the kids came home from being away all weekend and Simone was laying on the couch with me, upside down, and her tongue hanging out..I wish I had a picture. They teased her and tickled her and she just smiled and smiled. I've got to get this on video and post it to U-tube!!!

I keep up the 3x a day until Tuesday and them slowly wean her off and see if she is OK. I've l aready invested a couple hundred dollars to her ear infections, so if drugging her keeps them at bay---I'll do it.

Bella and Hunter seem uneffected by the season. It just odd to me that Simone's allergic reactions are so serious. I had a cat for 18 years who was allergic to EVERYTHING, but never a dog!

Puppy Training Log 04.27.10

Every morning seems to be the same, except, just a little earlier each day:

I'm sleeping in my alotted 3x2 space, surrounded by dogs tightly pressed against me.
THEN WHAM!
Simmy is awake, and whomps me with her front leg, flops over and crushes me, and gives me a little wet kiss.

I can't help it, but I hug her and laugh.

Then she wakes Hunter the same way, and he grumbles and gets off the bed. Bella is last to wake up, and given the choice I think she would sleep in late.

Simone takes few minutes to sit on me in different ways, crushing me. If I don't get up, she resorts to stomping me, and sitting (a combo move). IF I will not get up at this point she diggs into the covers and licks me, and makes silly whimpering noises.

Meanwhile Bella wakes up and diggs her front tallons into me, and I MUST do at least 3 minutes of poka-dot belly rubbing.

HUNTER IS READY TO GO DOWNSTAIRS AT THIS POINT, so he pulls at my blankets. If I am not holding them, he'll pull them right off me and right off the bed.

NOW--it's time for me to get out of bed. This morning the time was 5:40am. If we keep up like this, I'll be getting up at 4:30am before June.

I will be tightening the shades tonight, so hopefully less light comes into the room and Simmy sleeps until 6:00am--her (old) usual time.

Did I mention, I'm sooooo tired!!!!

LOL! Oh yes, room darkening shades for sure!

Oh and my mom had an australian shepherd with horrible allergies. He would get worse every winter. She couldn't figure out why until the year she put up an artificial Christmas tree. He was fine all winter. Turns out he was allergic to pine on top of everything else. Hope Simone is feeling better!

Blackout curtains. I'm just sayin'... I go through the same routine with Mischa, who decides to start meowing pitifully as soon as light starts to come through the blinds. Then he has to come lie on my chest and nibble at me until I pet him. At that point, he starts to PURR like a Harley-Davidson, and he keeps that up for about 15 minutes, until I give up and get out of bed. Sheesh.

Don't you just love pets? :bigsmile:

Puppy Training Log 04.28.10

OK, so the real reason I have Simone is for the entertainment.

She's is funnier than any TV show. Last night she was presented with her DREAM bone. This is the bone that she has been requesting, pleading for, and just plain beggin' for when I take her to the store. I'll post a picture when I can.

I entered the house and handed her the 25" in long bone. She grabbed it in the center and ran around the house using the bone as a baddering ram for the furniture and walls. WHAM, WACK...THUMP, bang...LOL

"Swift move mom", my daughter laughed. Then Simmy wanted to share her DREAM bone with my daughter and smashed her in the leg with it. (I couldn't help but laugh-it was funny to me)

SO what I have purchased for my darling puppy is a weapon. A large club actually, which she uses on all of us. I have not been spared from the DREAM Bone beatings. It really does hurt when she smashes the thing into your legs--but I still think it's funny.

The most funny thing to watch is Simone trying to get her bone into her crate. She holds it in the middle, so when she tries to get through the door, the bone is too long, and she can't fit it...but she tries a few times, --BUMP, BUMP, BUMP...U-Tube viral video--here I come!

She did manage to get it there eventually.

She cracks me up.

Puppy Training Log 04.29.10

I got Simone a regular 6' nylon leash so I can ATTEMPT to walk her with both beagles this weekend (with daughter and son support if needed).

I have been taking her out with one beagle at a time, but it's harder for me because Simone is on a long lead retractable and the beagles are on nylon 6' leads, so Simone can run around and around, while the beagle has to stay close to me and it was difficult to say the least keeping track of Simone, plus trying to keep hold of the retractable handle and the regular leash band.

Simone is doing OK with one beagle at a time. If the beagle I have with us starts to bark, or gets riled up over--lets say--a rabbit...Simone will start to jump and bite at them(the beagle). I have a "0" tollerance for that business, and Simone GETS IT, but still tries a little nip here and there.

Mornings are still too early for me. Puling the curtains doesn't seem to matter---Simone wants to get up as soon as even a sliver of light breaks into the room. Today 5:22am. Luckily I was in bed by 10pm last night instead of midnight, so it wasn't so bad. YESTERDAY I fell asleep doing work--right at my desk (DON'T TELL MY BOSS!!).

Puppy Training Log 04.30.10

Simone continues to make us laugh out loud.

She was in her crate when she noticed something odd. We are sure it was a bug, or something, but we never actually saw anything with our own eyes. We can olny assume it was a bug--maybe an ant or a spider.

She first watched, tilted her head a few times, got close, backed off, and then started barking at it.
She nipped at the towels in her crate a bit, barked some more, and made some crying noises.

Then she got out of her crate, and shut the crate door! (no Kidding).
At this point we were laughing at her, an she looked at us so forlorn, like she was saying..."hey--what if a bug was in your bed?"

Meanwhile, our Dream Bone beatings continue.

The laughs are endless in our home with this dog.

Jeanneh, I think you need to learn how to use a camcorder. :wink:

Dream Bone beatings... heh, heh, heh.....

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.