My Life with Dogs and Cats

That wasn't quite the kind of film I had in mind, but what the hell...

Puppy Training Log 05.03.10

I successfully took all 3 dogs for a walk together.

I suppose successfully could mean many things, but what it means here is that Simone was able to walk with both beagles without attacking them. This is huge step in the right direction.

None of the dogs did any "business" however, so maybe successful is the wrong word to use here?

This morning's rain proved to be a challenge for me to get Bella to take a step outside. She is a princess, as many of you already know, and Princesses do not get their feet wet.

I had to use a big umbrella and coax her out. Once she was out she did what she had to do rather quickly--because Princesses should not be outside in the rain---just ask Bella!

Addition to 05.03.05 --Puppy abuse!!

Simone whacked my head right at the temple this morning as part of her GET UP method. Her head is like a rock, and my head still hurts--could I have a concussion?

I need the puppy abuse hotline!!!!

Puppy Abuse continues 05.04.10

We are all still being terrorized by the dream bone.
The worst is when I arrive home. Simone no longer attacks me, or the beagles. I trained her to get something in her mouth when someone comes to the door, so now I'm greeted with a severe Dream Bone beating.

I realize I brought this on myself.

hilariously funny, j!!!

Puppy Training Log 05.05.10

Our 101 dog tricks book has been sitting on the front entrance curio for way too long.

Now that the weather is nicer, expect to see Simone and I out in the yard more. She really needs more stimulation and she loves to play games, so that's what I plan to do. I still am giving her allergy meds in the mornings which knock her out for much of the afternoon. By the time i get home in the evening she is ready to play.

Hunter and Bella have their own way to play. I take that back...Hunter has his own way--and I play with him.
Bella is too good to play with us. Given the choice between playing, or being cuddled--she chooses cuddling, lip kissing and belly rubs over any ball or toy.

I'm worried about her Beagle-ness. She's just not a normal beagle. My daughter joked that if Bella was our only dog--it would be like we don't even have a dog.

....LOL...and if Simone was our only dog....it would be like we have 3 dogs in the house!!!!

Puppy Training Log 05.06.10

I pulled the curtains so it is somewhat dark in the bedroom in the morning. Does this help my situation? NO!

Simone loves mornings, and she wants everyone else up to enjoy them too. Today's wake up call came at 5:18am. It continued, with a sit/stomp method of waking me. I have a bruise on my throat from a suprize stomping. Tricky, but effective--I got up and out of bed 5:43am to avoid any more abuse.

Actually I enjoy the mornings before I actually get up with all 3 dogs (minus the tricky moves). Bella is the sweetest. She does a commando crawl over to me and I have to give her a series of belly rubs, and tickling. She will adjust her position so I can give her the full-belly treatment. She also needs to be cuddled completely before she'll let me go. Hunter likes to get right up and inspect the house. FOR WHAT??? I have no idea. Then he returns to the bedroom after a thorough inspection of the downstairs, and he starts making beagle sounds and pulling off my covers. Once I'm up, he also needs belly rubbing. Simone wakes me up with a solid smack with her front paw. I then grab her and put her into a headlock. She flops right on me--and I say to her "why are you crushing on me?"

The sitting, and stomping begins--this part--not so fun.

If I am very lucky I will be allowed a few seconds to nap in between sit/stomps. It's like I push her sit/stomp snooze button. She uses this time to make Scooby-Doo noises and annoy the other dogs.

Ahhh, dogs....will I ever have a morning I can sleep in????

Puppy Training Log 05.06.10

I was talking with my mother this morning, making sure she received the chocolate covered strawberries I sent her for Mother's Day.

We were discussing the idea of she and my dad getting another dog, They lost their beloved Scotty, appropriately named Duffy 3 years ago. Duffy had been the most spoiled dog I ever met (minus my own Bella). He had traveled with them, bitten people, and overall gotten his way throughout his short life. Throughout my father's illness--cancer, and then 2 heart attacks, Duffy was there for both of them. My parents adored that bratty dog. My father would say he was leaving it all to the dog, and his kids would get nothing. Sadly, Duffy developed a fast moving cancer of his blood and died 4 days after being diagnosed. My parents were devastated and my father proclaimed that he would never have another pet. The bright side to this story is that we kids are back in the will! (I'm kidding).

My mother was mentioning she and my dad are in the process of discussing getting another dog. THEY ARE DISCUSSING IT. Meanwhile she asks about her grand-dogs--and we go into a long discussion about how Bella has pee'd in the upstairs hallway and I have prof. rug cleaners coming at 8am, Hunter fell off the couch AGAIN, and may need to see Dr. Rogers after the rug cleaners leave, and Simone is beating us up with her Dream bone.

My mother pauses a moment in our conversation and says..."Maybe we should consider getting a cat instead"...(LOL).....

Puppy play day 05.08.10

Today was beagle mania day at the dog park! I was thrilled to be at the small dog side of the park with 5 other beagles. As many already know--beagles love beagles. Beagles love to play with other beagles. Beagles love to chase other beagles, and most fun is a pack of beagles chasing another dog.

Bella came home and fell asleep--woke up for dinner and a walk, and has gone right back to sleeping. Hunter is limping badly and I think he may have hurt his foot on the rocks at the park with all the running and chasing. This has happened before. I'll keep an eye on it. Dr. Rogers didn't do anything for it last time. It doesn't help that he keeps falling off the arm of the couch at home.

I'm equally exhausted from the day's events. Started at 6 am, and had rugs cleaned, breakfast, post office, pet store, and 4 furniture stores all before noon. Took the dogs to the park for more than 1 hour, and had lunch--then mowed the lawn, did some planting, and cleaned the floors downstairs. I teach my 1st & 2nd graders at Morrow in the morning--so i'm going to be in bed by 10 tonight--at least that's the plan.

I'm excited to be invited to a Mother's Day party on Sunday. I have to keep the dogs on schedule, so I can only go for a few hours. Last weekend I celebrated with L &J, and this weekend they are with their dad.

I hope to see great improvement with Simone greeting them when they arrive home Sunday night. We have been workin' on it.

Puppy Training Log: 05.10.10

Last night Simone was in her crate eating dinner when the kids arrived home.

When I let her out she was extremely excited but my son stopped her from jumping and made her sit. (that lasted a mini second)--but, she did place her butt down. She headed to the kitchen where my daughter waited with a cookie, so SIT was automatic--and no one was mauled.

A good night!

She also went to get a toy-in-mouth after the cookie, so she was able to greet them nicely, stubby tail wags, and butt wiggles and all.

I was able to sneak in a Mother's Day nap around 6:30pm, and all 3 dogs joined me. It was really sweet.
Bella especially loves cuddling at nap time.

Sometime during my nap Simone went downstairs and pee'd by the door. I was a bit shocked since she hasn't messed in the house for a little while and I thought she was over all that puppy behavior. I know it was Simone because I remember her leaping up--waking me for a moment, and then cuddling into my pillows into a cute "little dog" ball. I am always amazed how small she can make her 74lbs of bulk seem.

Recently mornings have started for us between 5 and 5:30am. I'm at work---in a fog (Don't tell my boss--who probably is reading this anyways).

Puppy Training Log 05.11.10

Exhausted!

Simone is getting her Benadryl 3X a day again. I had slowed it down to 1X a day ,but suddenly her allergies are back in force.

The Milburn pet store was kind enough to give me dog food samples to try with Simmy to see if they help reduce her allergic reactions.

I can't tell if it does, but I have to stop it. I mixed just a little into her regular food and she's a mess! Mess here means that she is suffering diarrhea and vomiting, and over all restlessness. She lept out of bed last night around 3am and raced down the stairs, and messed all over the place. I took her out, and she had MORE!

She was restless the rest of the wee-early morning, and again at 5:16am, raced down the stairs ahead of me and messed by the door. I didn't yell at her, because I can tell she couldn't help it. I'm just grateful she doesn't do this upstairs, where I JUST had the rugs professionally cleaned last Saturday. Even after I've clean it all up, the house smells like a sick dog.

....LOL....which comes just in time for my Appraisal inspector visit...lol.....maybe that will help the value DROP????

Oh poor thing. You and Simmy both!

My mom had an australian shepherd with horrible allergies. She was cooking for him for awhile. Then discovered Innova. Expensive, but she swore by it. I think the Millburn pet store carries it.

Good Luck!

Thank you Carolanne!

I'm going to return the unused samples to Millburn store Saturday. Simmy can't tolerate many foods--so switching her off her puppy food was a production. I thought she might be able to handle a new food now--but just a few bits have caused a big problem.

I'm going to keep her on her regular food--that doesn't upset her stomach for now, and then when she's a bit older I'll try to switch again. Simmy's tummy cannot tolerate people food, except for a bit of peanut butter with her allergy pills.

NEVER have I ever owned a dog with so many problems. "Problems" here means--allergies and intolerance for food changes.

Puppy Training Log 05.12.10

OK, so I can't stop laughing since I read the artichoke thread....that might rank right up there with the Ambien thread of last year.

That being said....when you walk into my house you can smell sick dog. I've cleaned everything (that I know about), but still the smell of sick dog is strong. My couch seems to have taken on the smell into the fabric. Luckily that couch is going OUT in a month. I'm not sure what to do. I'm searching around, looking to see if there is a mess hidden somewhere.

Given the good, the bad and the ugly of having dogs, this is the UGLY side of pet ownership.

It appears that Saturday will be the "SUPER SPRING" cleaning day, and I'll be moving all the furniture and cleaning all the floors. Maybe something icky is trapped under a table leg or something? I think this might be the catalyst to getting the floor guys in to refinish.

I am starting to fret about my NEW furniture on its way from North Carolina. I'll have to invest in tons of heavy blankets to cover it. I am also wondering if putting down rugs is a wise idea??? I've been rug-less since Hunter was a baby (2.6 years).

I love my dogs--really I do, but I also would like to have a nice home. How do the rest of you manage????

Puppy Training, and raising kids alone rant...05.14.10

My poor 14 year old son (who is never sick) has been sick for the last 3 weeks, with a total of 6 days absent. He complained he had phlegm chocking him, and making his throat sore, headaches, upset stomach and over all feeling of exhaustion. There were two day in the very beginning of this where he had a fever for two days. I think he has allergies, but no--he has walking pneumonia. So, yesterday I spent the entire morning at the ACC getting Xrays of his chest and then going off to see his Dr.

I thought coughing was a sign of pneumonia, but he hardly coughs.

My afternoon was spent at my daughter's surgeons, where they've moved up her major surgery to June 15, to give her adequate recovery time before Sept. start of school. She's freaking out on me! At the same time they discover my son will need a minor surgery too to correct his bite. THAT'S 2 kids in surgery this summer! So now my task is coordinating the insurance, scheduling pre-op apts around final testing, arranging the orthodontist time (soonest), and scheduling with the school, to allow her to finish her testing before she leaves school. )ON THE PHONE ALL MORNING!!!! I have only 18 more vacation days (which I've banked), and 2 personal days, so it looks like I'll have to take family leave, and go without pay.

This is the only time when I get really pissy that DAD is not in the picture to take on a task or two. It just so easy for him! He sees the kids every other weekend, unless he makes other plans, and then it doesn't matter if I had plans--his always prevail!!! (minus last year when I planned a vacation--and refused to change it). I cover the insurance, take care of all the medical, all the school things,--Everything. When the kids are at the hospital he'll show up 1 day--and spend the time out in the waiting room on the phone. When he does have them on weekends, he barely speaks to them, or complains to them about something relating to ME.....ok,ok...I'll calm down now, since this could go on and on...but you get the picture. I'm on my own...I know that! I just don't think it's fair!

I spent my commute time this morning imagining ways I would kick his ass if it didn't mean going to jail--and I feel a little better.

Sicking Simmy on him was one of my fantasies.

Meanwhile Simmy is feeling better and I did not have to give her meds this morning. Everyone was treated for flea and tick and given heartworm meds instead, and I feel I have some control of my life where the dogs are concerned. At least for today.

(((jeanneh))) it sure is a big big exhausting job for 2, let alone for 1. in a **semi** parallel situation, though, when DH's brother had to do all the practical care of their aging parents, and I apologized for not being more help (b/c we were 3,000 miles away), BIL said yeah it's work, BUT we get to spend time with them. fwiw to you.

regards, and best wishes to you, the patients, and of course, the dogs

m

thanks mjc--I don't usually complain at all about being a single parent, except when I'm the one taking care of every detail of the medical needs, and every single arrangement while juggling my full-time job, plus side job, plus using every vacation day I have to be with them whiel they recover plus having to take time off from work w/o pay (family leave), and the other half takes 1 single day, and still can fit in 2 vacations a year. Yippie for him!

...ok rant over.

Wow, that all sounds incredibly overwhelming. So sorry you and the kids are going through all this... :sad:

medical particularly sucks, and it would take more than a saint not to be po'd with the x in the circumstances. surely, MOL welcomes your (very occasional) complaints. all this and early-riser dogs too, jeez.

pls give that good boxer an ear rub on my behalf, if you can dodge the Bone, and fuss over the son if he'll stand for it.

cheers!

Puppy training log 05.15.10

Amazingly the dogs let me go back to bed this morning after breakfast and walking. I woke up about 9:30am!

Feeling much better, and handling everything in a less whining way. I guess I just needed some rest.

The dogs are so cuddly this morning--taking turns getting all loved up, with belly rubs. I needed that!

I was able to talk to the children's nanny, now living in NE. who lived with us for 6 years, and she is not only a part of our family, but a good friend. It helped a lot. THANKS ASHLEY!!!!
She called, she said, because the little voice in her head was telling her to. LOL....funny, but ironic.

mjc and peggyc --thank you for all the support!

Puppy Training Log 05.16.10

This weekend was pretty quiet.
We had a very successful walk with all three dogs together.

Simone is like a monkey see Monkey do dog--as she tried to mimic the beagles, rolling around in the grass. The funniest part was when she tried rolling on a incline and rolled right down onto Hunter. Now, normally Simone does not roll in the grass, but the beagles were rolling and rolling, so she joined in.

She thinks she is a beagle too.

I'm getting ready for a busy weekend.

Puppy Training Log 05.17.10

I love mornings!
I have to have this mantra with 3 dogs who get up early--right?

But what I love in particular is the cuddling before getting out of bed.

Before I leave for work, everyone has to get a little acknowledgment, with playing or petting. Then all 3 settle in onthe couch and allow me to leave without crying or fussing.

It wasn't always this way, and so I think back to a year ago, and say WOW--training really is making a difference!!!

Posted By: jeannehIt wasn't always this way, and so I think back to a year ago, and say WOW--training really is making a difference!!!

:clap:

The cuddling in the morning makes me think of my cat, Mischa. He loves to come up onto the bed as soon as it's light and stand on me to get his head scratched. Then he settles down into the niche between my right arm and my side, and puts his paws and chin on my chest while I pet him. He purrs and purrs and purrs. And I love it, except for the days when he wants to start this routine at 4:30.

PeggyC, your kitty sounds like such a sweet heart!

Puppy Log 05.19.10

The house is calm these days, except for dinner time (the humans dinner time), where upon, Hunter takes to teasing Simone by stealing HER bone and taking it into HER crate. CHEW CHEW CHEW....munch, crunch...

I don't reprimand him too much, since he seems to get some joy from teasing her, and she is no worse for wear. Simone will starting barking in protest, and Hunter will CHEW CHEW CHEW, like there's no tomorrow. The more she barks--the more he'll chew.

Yes--this is our dinner music-Simone barking!

In the end--it's all in fun, because Simone forgets all about her bone, and Hunter gets tired of chewing it, and everyone comes in the dinning room and sleeps at my feet for the remainder of dinner time. Bella--refuses to take part in any of the silliness, and naps on the couch straight through it all.

My biggest complaint is I can't hear the American Idols singing their songs. How will I know who to vote for?

Puppy Training Log 05.20.10

OK, ok...who snuck over and gave the dogs something to upset their tummies? Fess up.

It certainly wasn't me, nor the kids--we wouldn't wish this on anyone--especially ourselves.

I won't go into details of the mess, to avoid risking anyone who is reading this (you 3 people) from adding to mess.

Seriously though, the dogs got into something, and no one knows what. Simone is suffering the most, and making the biggest mess. Hunter isn't so bad--but right up there, and Bella, the princess she is has not yet added to the mess, but is lathargic and sad.

I left a note with the dog walker asking if they picked something up on their walk with him. He will call me if he comes into a mess at noon. I'll need to know, since Simone could start to dehydrate. She was drinking well this morning, but then....ugh!

And all this tummy upset didn't stop anyone from gobblin' down breakfast--so I can't be too worried--right?

Needless to say, I was late to work because I spent my morning cleaning up the floors, which included the top of the stairs--the rug I just had cleaned 2 weeks ago.

I also had to give Hunter and Simone Benedryl because they would not stop scratching their ears last night when I was trying to sleep. NO parasites, and both dog's ears look clean.

I have Friday off for my Maplewood's tax excuse for a home inspection, and kids' dr appointments, but I think I could fit in a visit to Dr. Rogers if I feel the need.

Posted By: jeannehPeggyC, your kitty sounds like such a sweet heart!

He is a total cuddlebug and the light of our lives. Now, if I could just stop him from humping the sheepskin rug... :shocked: He's fixed, and the sheepskin seems none the worse for wear, but STILL... :shocked:

Sorry about all the canine illness, and hope it improves soon. It wasn't me, I swear.

Puppy Training Log 05.21.10

I had today off from my NY office job (but not my life job). I had the Maplewood house Inspector here this morning, and was waiting for my contractor--who never made it because there was an emergency water problem in Newark. Hopefuly he'll be here Saturday.

So I had to put Simone in her crate while the inspector was here, and she got so upset she messed in her crate (and partly because she still is pretty sick to her stomach).

SO, just if anyone is keeping taly--I was cleaning the stain out fo the rug from yesterday, (1), pee off the rug from Bella (2), and Simmy's crate (3), and Simone herself (4). That's 4 messes from the dogs in 1 day. UGH!!

What is wrong with them???? Actually everyone seems so much better today.

I was excited to read that Molly the lucky dog from Newark is with one of our most loving MOL animal people--saved from death! I hope that if my Simone is ever in the same position, there will be loving angels lookIng out for her, just like MOLLY.

Simone and her dream bone pic #1

Simone with her dream bone pic #2

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.