My Life with Dogs and Cats

Half?! Put a tea towel around her neck and tell her to do your dishes!

mrincredible said:

I'm pretty sure she's a house elf.

Oh, I love it. Should call her Dobby, for sure. oh oh

She's named Royal. And she answers to it.

She is so cuddly and sweet. She would do well in a quiet home. She would be fine with a calm child who knows to be careful with such a tiny dog. She does startle easily. Her former owners called her a very nervous dog.

She has responded to my home with a bit of nervousness, but by evening was playing with her toys and asking me to pick her up and hold her. I haven't heard a sound from her.

She absolutely loves being in her crate. It's covered with a brown blanket, and I've put a comfy bed and a really nice blanky in there for her. The crate is open--so she has full access to the entire office.

My dogs are unaffected by her presence. She can walk with the beagles with no issues. She's a bit too nervous with Simone right now. Who wouldn't be when you're whole body is nearly the size of that big dog's head--I'd be cautious too.

Meanwhile....Simone.....has made up her mind that going outdoors sucks. It's way too scary to go out.
Yesterday the dog walker came an I asked him to help me get her out---we used smoke turkey--and it still didn't work. AND SHE WAS DOING SO WELL TOO!!!!!! I'm not sure what caused her regression back to being terrorized by the front yard.

...however at 3am ...when no a soul is around, and not a car goes by---she was more than ready to go out and do everything---REALLY FAST--but at least I didn't have to clean the floor.

The house elf has made herself right at home. Once terrified of Simone, the two play and play all evening together now.

Royal has warmed up and is no longer looking buggy-eyed scared. Her fuzzy poodle hair is growing in a bit and in a few months she should be nice and fuzzy. She is soooo soft.

Her personality, once shy and hiding, has emerged to be bold and daring.

She even made her first mess in the office by ripping into a laptop box and then vomiting the shreds. I may have to move her into the kitchen, but I fear she will scale the gate.

There is a meet and greet being arranged this weekend. FINGERS CROSSED for Royal. She may have a new family to cuddle very soon.

Awwww. Good luck, Royal.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151990303106911&l=43926525670433521

All cozy on a cold day.

Ohhhh, she looks so sweet! Those EYES!

Well, I certainly know how to spend my Super Bowl Sunday partying!

I had a real wee-ha Super Bowl event at the Westfield Emergency Vet! I'm a wild woman I tell you!

With the new puppy in the house, the pack dynamic was affected. Normally when Hunter attempts to take Simone's dinner she backs down--she's never even growled. But last night, Simone told Hunter NO WAY!!!! in a not so nice manner, and now he's wearing a cone and has a total of 13 stitches on his ear and head.

New Puppy is on her way to Queens this morning. She was too disruptive here--not that she was a bad dog--far from it---she just messed up the happy pack.

She will be available for adoption thru Abandoned Angels Cocker Spaniel Rescue.

I am so sorry to hear about Hunter's injury. Wishing him a speedy recovery!

Oh, poor Hunter! Hope he recovers fast and that peace is restored to the pack.

Peace is here--Simone doesn't seem interested in Hunter now. The cone is freaking her out (LOL). The offending puppy has gone.

The Westfiled vet advised I separate Hunter and Simone for a few days. Hunter is spending time in the kitchen. The floor is heated and he likes that. It heats his bed.

He will be fine.

It's always somethin', huh?

LOL...never a dull moment here!!!

wow, jeanneh, just catching up on your blog… u have been thru 2 years of hell and I'm sorry to hear it. Sometimes, a foster does mess up the pack's stability and although I prefer MORE dogs rather than fewer, I am keeping my numbers down right now because of some newly maturing behaviors on my (young-for-her-age) dog. I just don't want to mess up the rhythm.
I adopted out my foster this past weekend so things are calm here. I prefer to pair my dogs rather than have a trio because as (calli, maybe?) suggested, oftentimes, dogs square off and leave the odd number out. They double-team the one. Not good. So I'm not adding to the pack becz of using the time now to continue training Tara and Kyleigh to a higher standard of obedience … but that leaves me open to the trio charades that occur at times. See? I know you will understand: I need just one more doggy to even them out in pairs. I want another sheppie or collie or another silly labradoodle from a rescue but my parameters are tight… I need a laid back (but still willing to play) adult , house-trained (potty-wise) rescue of a size large enough to be off leash in the back yard with the big dogs. 80+ pounders. A little one would be trampled and possibly hurt, unintentionally of course but Tara and Kyleigh crash around like a couple of rugby players. For the brief stay of the little 20 lb foster, I paired her with Kyleigh or Finnegan and Tara with whomever for the second round of outdoor play. Tara has a high prey drive and it is easily provoked; didn't want to chance it with a little dog turning into lunch.
So ''if'' any come your way, or calli's way or carolanne's… and hello to you ladies and peggyc too! … please LMK so I can even out my odds over here, LOL! And I'm sorry for taking up so much of your blog talking about my own stuff. U know how it is, doggy talkers, right? LOL! I get carried away, that's all there is to it.

I hope you are feeling well now, jeanneh. u have had a heck of a rough patch the past few months/year(s).
Time for something really good to happen for you, IMHO!
C/L

@ critterlover, Yes, I said that cats triangulate and dogs do, too. I also think that in a pack with a stable population, it depends entirely on the sensitivity of the dogs in the resident pack. I worry about your Tara, given her tumultuous upbringing,and how smart and sensitive she is. I am afraid that she has abandonment issues,and has a hard time coping with the comings and goings of the fosters. I would venture that you might be able to correlate her backsliding with the introduction or the departure of the fosters.

Actually, I was thinking you might say this, cal! My big girl Tara is an odd sort, for sure and I am so thankful for all your insight and help with her. Here is the strange occurrence with big T and fosters…
she trains herself to go out and do her business with whomever I pair her with and having more dogs rather than fewer seems to help her remember her place. It is the weirdest thing! Most dogs would go in the other direction of back-sliding, I would think. Right?
Remember my last post to you , full of woe for her indoor preference to pee? She has not had a single accident nor has she peed in her crate since then. I am thinking that maybe I devote extra doggy time or more strictly scheduled potty times when I have a foster in the house because IDK that dog's habits yet. I am trying to find the correlation of Tara's increased continence and the foster dog. This was a very tiny dog for us, only 20 lbs and Tara was not intimidated in the least by her… so I am watching very closely now to see if she keeps to the schedule. I really think she learns from the other dogs in the family! I have a theory that when I sent the foster and Kyleigh out to potty, Tara followed the new more interesting scent and overlaid it with her own, thereby training herself to the schedule. That is just my own thinking, no basis in science that I know of but I see the pack lead other dogs into our expected behaviors quite a bit.

The number one thing on my list to help Tara remain ''dry'' indoors is to *watch* her go while she is outside. I tell everyone, if you didn't see it, as far as I'm concerned, you did not do right by her. She needs us to continue to help her keep her track record going. IOW, don't ''let the dogs out'' and go back inside. Don't assume the dog is still empty (bladder) after she has been outside for 2- 3 hours. (One of us in attendance at all times). Dogs don't think ahead: oh, it is almost time to go inside so I will go pee one last time before he calls me… but for some reason, humans believe they do think like this. I know dogs *anticipate* but that is not what I am referring to here. I think you all KWIM, right? It is MY responsibility to make sure she goes before we come in because she is still learning. My big puppy! … and this was my first ''real foster'' in over a year, almost 2 yrs actually. There is something to 'the pack' that is so fine, so good, for most dogs. I feel better myself with a pack. It makes me happy to be surrounded by my dogs!
However, my first commitment is to Tara, when it comes to taking on any extra responsibility for anything. I WILL NOT JEOPARDIZE HER HAPPINESS AND COMFORT FOR MY OWN SAKE. She is too precious. sorry:caps. new computer, and jeanne, thanks for letting me borrow your blog to have this conversation! I didn't mean to take it over!

at any rate, she is curled up all comfy and warm now, snoozing and dreaming. oh oh and I know she is happy! question

Borrow my blog anytime Critterlover. It's about LIFE WITH DOGS.

It is a puzzel why one little dog doesn't do anything to the pack (Royal), and I bring in a puppy--who has little to no contact with the others, but disrupts the whole happiness of the home. I was thinking back, and the last really bad fight was had when there were 5 dogs in the home--clearly 4 is the limit here.

Simone is now not allowed to even come upstairs at night, let alone be on my bed. Poor Hunter is not allowed on stairs while on pain meds, so he's gated in the kitchen with the heated floor at night. Bella is the only one who sleeps in my bed now.

The funniest thing about the whole fight is--while Simone had Hunter by his head and throat, and Hunter was screaming and leaping about, And I was in there breaking it up, Bella continued to eat her dinner in the same room and basically ignored the two fighting dogs. When I asked her to go sit in the crate by the door, she was happy to do it before I dashed Hunter off to the emergency room. She loves the crate!

Since the fight, she has been distant to both Simone and Hunter. She prefers to go upstairs and hang out on the bed without them.

Meanwhile, both my kids say Hunter had it coming--he's been attempting to eat both Simone's breakfast and dinner for years. He is really is a brat. Sadly--I doubt he'll learn from this experience, since he's a beagle...and not the brightest lightbulb in the pack.

Simone now eats safe behind a gate.

NO more dropping the food bowls as I am running out the door in the morning. NOPE--add an additional 7-8 minutes to my morning for feeding now.

Not ideal--but I suppose I have to do this.

SO--as many times as I left the dogs to eat alone as I ran for the Jitney, knowing Hunter would eat whatever Simone would give up--not worrying a bit about any kind of fight--why were there never any fights? Why last Sunday?

I'm just unsure what's going on with Simone. She's ignoring my commands, pooping on the floor right in front of me, dragging me along with her leash, trying to eat my dinner off my plate, and pushing me on the stairs. This is not my dog. Maybe I should have the vet check her out. I want my mellow, happy, well-behaved dog back.

Last night she asked me to rub her belly and I declined. She wanted to sit on me, and I banished her off the couch. She's not allowed upstairs, nor on the bed to sleep with me now. No more cuddling.

...I really miss my dog...

I never refuse any of my critters when they ask for affection. That helps strengthen the bond between us. I tend to think that altering your relationship, outside of the safety precautions, may be at the root of Simone's acting out. At this point, she just doesn't understand why she is being shunned, she just knows she is.

I think it only causes problems in a multi dog household when there is disparate treatment. If Simone is not allowed on the couch or the bed, don't allow the Beagles up there either. Dogs have a sense of fair play. She is doing the things that you disapprove of to regain her place in the pack---remember, just like kids, negative attention is attention.

Jeanne, I think it's time you called the Dog Whisperer. Something's going on with her.

Actually her weird behavior started the day we will call the water bottle incident. When she stopped going outside for fear of cars going by. She still isn't ok being outside, with the exception a few odd days.

Tonight, Hunter and Simone were cuddled up on the couch together.

What a difference a week makes!

Hunter got his cone off, but poor little Royal now is wearing one.

It's been a month since her spay, but today the surgical site was red and oozing yellowish clear stuff. I got a spray from the Pet store and the Rescue is sending antibiotics. She has to be 100% ok to go with her new family on 3/1. Yup--you read that correctly--she's going to be adopted by a really nice couple who are home all day to give her all the attention she desires. She will be loved.

Simone usually plays in snow--but today--this was her...

So excited to watch my daughter perform with U2 on the Tonight show!!!!

Just so amazing, she only started playing instruments in her senior year of high school!

I'm proud and in awe at the same time.

THAT WAS SO COOL!!!!!!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.