My Life with Dogs and Cats

...oh, has it ever! I have been taking Zyrtec since January---supplemented with Benedryl. I thought we were supposed to outgrow this stuff!

Gracie's ears are itchy, too.

Ahhhh, this explains so much. I started using prescription eye drops about a month ago, with great results for about a week. Then I started having a lot of dryness, itching, and excessive tearing again, and I had no idea why. Must be the changing season.

I got money back!!! I got money back!

Today I got excused from jury duty!

SO...I was home.

Bella insisted on going out around 11am, so I took her. Normally, I would not have been home, nor walking Bella off schedule. But sometimes the universe has plans for us.

As we walked by my two big trees I saw a baby squirrel dead on the ground. He looked so peaceful, and I commented to Bella how peaceful the dead squirrel looked, as if he was sleeping. And...we continued on our walk. On the way back, I told Bella I was going to get a shovel and put the poor dead baby in the trash. I couldn't have a dead squirrel on my property with all the dogs.

But, as we approached the little guy, he stretched out his front legs towards us. HE WAS ALIVE!!!!!
I raced Bella inside, and got a box filled with old clean rags and a paper towel.

The little baby was no more then 2 weeks old. So tiny, and unable to stand, hold up it's head, nor make a sound. First I noticed he was crawling with fleas. Then, as I picked him up I noticed he was severely dehydrated. (I HAD NO IDEA WHAT I WAS DOING, BUT I KNEW HE COULDN'T STAY ON THE GROUND). There were no adult squirrels anywhere. I placed him in the box.

I called my vet first to ask where to take the little guy and was directed to animal control--who was very helpful and instructed me to keep the baby warm, and to call Wild Baby Rescue Center.

I have a really great hand made shoulder warmer made with uncooked rice inside. I heated that up in the microwave, and wrapped it around the baby. Then, I was off with him to Blairstown. He stopped moving. I thought he was gone when I arrived at the rescue. He seemed unresponsive.

HIGH FIVE to the volunteers at Wild Baby Rescue Center--they quickly de-flea'd him by spraying a cloth with flea spray and gently rubbing him, and because I had kept him warm, they were able to give him pedialyte and water right away. He perked right up! They tell me he is going to be fine!!!!

So if you find an orphaned baby squirrel, keep it warm with a sock filled with uncook rice--heated in the microwave. Don't let the sock touch it directly. Call Wild Baby Rescue Center at 908-362-9453

If you want to donate $$ to this rescue go to wildbabyrescue.org. I donated $150.

what a great story, Jeanne---and such a good deed! I am copying this info on the wild baby rescue, and will have it close at hand---especially since it is bunny season (and Gracie always finds the nests, although she doesn't kill the bunnies) Thanks to you for all you do for the voiceless.

Got an update on Squirrelbert--he's doing fine and has a few other babies to cuddle with.

snake Just don't tell Bikefixed. He HATES squirrels. wink

My basement is flooding! The water is literally coming out of the french drains!
Please sunk pump---keep pumping!

OK--so it's been years since the last flood. I'm not sure why now and not during SANDY!

We actually got relatively little rain during Sandy (1-2") There has been MUCH more today! I think we ended up in a "dry slot" during Sandy or something like that. That was lucky for many of us who depend on our sump pumps since the power was off for practically everyone. The last really big RAIN was Hurricane Irene, I think.

I saw on the news Newark reported over 5" of rain fell yesterday. I've created a nice little river bed with rolled towels that is keeping the water flowing straight thru to the sunk pump, and not spreading all over the entire floor. Water was still coming in this morning and it wasn't even raining! I'll push the remaining water over to the sunk pump tonight with a long broom. ugh!

@jeanneh -- I have a WetVac if you need it (left over from Irene when I was flooded).

Thanks--might call if I need it!

Saw that you're fostering another pooch from Abandoned Angels. oh oh

Unfortunately, our foster, Mama, is going back tomorrow for a desperately needed vet visit for her ears and skin condition (stinky!). Because she constantly chases our cats, she won't be coming back. It's a real shame because she LOVES Mr. Z and is really a good doggie and sweetly endures the daily nursing from me. I think she's going to need a total ear ablation. :-(
At this point I don't know if we're going to take another, since their strong prey instinct will probably eliminate them from consideration too.

I am fostering short term--and she's adorable.

Some dogs do have strong prey instincts, and some don't. I have my own Simone who I will never trust with my cats. However, without Simone, my two beagles ignore the cats. I think 90% of my foster dogs have been cat friendly.

It's difficult taking care of a dog with such bad ears. I know, I've had a few.

Thank you for fostering! I hope you keep the idea open for another time.

LOL....I love my son (and my daughter)...but in this story, I love my son...

He NEVER is "into" taking in a new foster dog. Every time he's against it. He announces "no help" from him...

...and then....the little thing arrives..and he's like..."aww isn't she adorable!???" ...cuddle, cuddle, cuddle...."OMG she's sick...here little one come into the steamy bathroom and feel better."...cuddle...cuddle

"When does she have to leave""????...cuddle, cuddle....

...and my daughter posts this on Mother's Day! I'm so lucky to have such amazing kids!:

"Happy Mother's Day to this amazing woman! She has done so much for my brother and me, and shaped me into the person I am today. Not only is she my mom, but I also consider her to be one of my best friends. Love you Momma! "

snake You raised great kids!

Regarding fostering, I had to work so Mr Z made the trip to Bayside by himself. My poor husband broke down in front of Raymond. And was still a bit weepy over leaving Mama behind. He said maybe we could take her back if no one takes her after her vetting. Then yesterday, he went to the Lyndhurst Bergen County shelter after getting his tires fixed near there and put in an app for a Chihuahua stray!

Jeanne, maybe your son is against fostering because it hurts too much to get fond of a dog and then have to give it up? I know that's why my husband was always against getting another cat after Sasha died. He couldn't bear to go through the loss again...

Using that logic, no one would ever have a pet,except maybe tortoises and parrots. Yes, it hurts, but it a selfless act to raise a foster, to teach the dog or cat how to live in a home, maybe how to trust again, The loss is tempered by the knowledge that the animal will (hopefully) have a good,loved and long life.

I'm not saying everyone feels that way, Cali, but my husband does. I already know exactly what you are saying, but not everyone can take that approach. My parents stopped having pets for about a decade because they were both so tired of the pain of losing pets. There's nothing wrong with respecting that feeling.

PeggyC said:

I'm not saying everyone feels that way, Cali, but my husband does. I already know exactly what you are saying, but not everyone can take that approach. My parents stopped having pets for about a decade because they were both so tired of the pain of losing pets. There's nothing wrong with respecting that feeling.

Goodness! People who struggle with the emotional toll are perfectly aware of this and don't need to be made to feel morally inferior.

Uch. I am the same way. I am now in the day time, taking care of my grandson's dog. I absolutely refuse to think of him as mine. I could handle my grandson's loss but certainly not mine,

This dog has contracted mange. And he needs to be snipped. My grandson will take him to the vet tomorrow at 10am. I will not go. I will again take care of him mon 7:30 am until 5:30pm. And then I let go for him to be with his Daddy. It is the only way I can be with animals is in the support of care taking for others. I don't think I could ever have an animal of my own.

Many dogs get mange. It's not a huge deal--very treatable. Both Simone and Bella developed mange as a young dog.

Thanks for loving thisdog--even if it's part time.

Thanks for the advice and vote of confidence. I bought the medicine and grandson is doing the delivery and shampooing. He goes back in a couple of weeks for another scraping to make sure it is gone.

Poor pup. But this, too, shall pass. oh oh

Grandson is taking Gotti to his Dad's in northern Florida for the weekend. He's taking his meds and shampoo. Great Grandma has a weekend off! Phew!

PeggyC said:

Poor pup. But this, too, shall pass. oh oh

Thanks Peggyc. :X

It's been a while since I actually posted anything here.

Quick update: I had the cutest foster dog (I never posted). I got approval to put in a fence on my property--and I did it! Simone understands this concept of going out with in the fence and going potty. The beagles, however, think this fence is an extension of the home, so they don't go potty with in the walls of the fence yet. They spend their freedom off leash by eating mud, digging holes, and (in Bella's case) checking the fence for escape options.

Meanwhile, my son will be digging 10" below the fence line and putting in rock and concrete.

And now--for the most exciting news of the summer! I get July and August off!! Of course, there's a catch.
Apparently, I'm old and my body is falling apart. (Imagine my shock to learn I'm no longer 27 years old!!! I wondered who that old woman was looking at me in the bathroom mirror.)

Surgery scheduled for July 2. My poor kids will have to take care of mom for a change.

But--thank goodness I got a fence, because I'm no allowed to walk the dogs for two months.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.