My Life with Dogs and Cats

Simone adding herself to my pile of pillows pic #1

Simone refusing to remove herself from my pile of pillows

I love the art on your bedroom wall. That coupled with the image of Simone in the pillows is adorable. :bigsmile:

Thank you PeggyC.

Believe it not, that art is a gift from Milton Glaser. When I worked for him, as a young intern, I had shared that my kitty looked just like his kitty, and we got to talking about, non other than cat rescue. So one day he brought me this poster as a gift--just because I loved cats. He painted several animal posters for a rescue group in the Hamptons. This is one of them. He also gave me another of his cat, his rabbit and his wife--all sleeping in bed. (YES--I wrote rabbit..in bed...).

Puppy Training Log 05.24.10

Simmy had a great time this weekend helping me in the yard. I tied her 30' long lead around my waste and attached it to her halti, so she just sniffed the grass, bothered Max, and dug a few holes in the garden, and wanted to help with pulling weeds...but pulled a few newly planted flowers instead. I just replanted them. She was having a blast.

Lars passed by the house. Simmy said hi to Lars and baby Lars with a full-on run greeting--Sorry Lars! 74lbs of big muscled-dog, with a big head, and a large mouth heading in your direction can be pretty unnerving. Lars took it all in stride, and Simmy said hi--and then rolled in the grass like a silly-bug. REALLY intimidating...lol.

Can't she just be scary every once in a while???

Meanwhile Bella also had her time outside on the long lead and spent the majority of it sitting in the grass and watching the neighborhood. She loved saying hi to every dog that passed by willing to say hi to her. I felt sad for HUNTER, since he behaves badly on lead if a dog goes by, so i couldn't take him out the same way.

I met Molly, the rescued pitbull that las is fostering. She is an adorable spirit. When she is feeling better, I'm going ask Las if she would let Bella meet Molly for a play date.

Posted By: jeannehPuppy Training Log 05.24.10
Can't she just be scary every once in a while???

She will be when she needs to be---or rather when you need her to be.

I trust 100% that is true Calli.

Simone is commited to her family. If she was ever in a situation where her family was in danger....I have no doubt at all...the danger.....would be....in danger.

Puppy Training Log 05.25.10

OMG! Simone is so cute sometimes I have to laugh.

Simone loves my daughter. My daughter says she doesn't even like Simone. Somehow, though, Simone can charm my daughter, and last night was no exception. We were all (and when I say that--it includes all the dogs, me and my daughter) on my bed last night. Simone doesn't really want any HUMANS there except me, so she usually will nibble, stomp, and do anything as a passive aggressive way to convince them to leave, or at least, move over so she can lay right next to me. She was nibbing, and stomping on my daughter when my daughter blew in her face (a brave move, I must say). Simone stopped--looked at her, tilted her head...took a deep breathe, and went to the end of the bed and lay down--defeated.

My daughter went down to the end of the bed and cuddled Simone--and Simone had the BIGGEST smile on her face, and started kissing my daughter and playing and asking for belly rubs.. After that--my daughter could be with me, and Simone was fine with laying next to both of us. No more nibs, no more stomps. It only took a puff of air to hurt her feelings and change the situation.

I was curious about this puff thing, so leaned over and puffed at Bella who was tightly up against me near my head. Did she move? Did she go to the bottom of the bed? Was she feeling defeated at all? Heck NOOOO! She slimmed me with kisses, and went back to resting next to me.

Hunter was sleeping, and so I let him sleep. He was spared the PUFF.

Snort. The Puff of Doom! :rolling:

Puppy Training Log 05.26.10

This morning I took Simmy with me out into the front yard to water the gardens. Simmy loves water! She loves the hose. She loves mud.

...you see where this is heading right?

So I turn on the hose and start watering--Simmy jumps in the way of the water--she's soaked on one side. I hold the hose up higher, and direct the water on to the small garden next to the garage--Simmy steps right into the garden dirt and all. (but now mud) So now, she totally wet on one whole side and all 4 of her paws are muddy--still the gardens are pretty much---not watered.

I move the water over to the front gardens where it is easier to avoid the leaping dog but moving the hose side to side. And there I am watering happily, not paying attention to the dog. But she's given up trying to get wet. She's found the place where water is converging next to the NEW retaining wall--and quick as that---DIG DIG DIG--mud flying in every direction.

SO now, only a few minutes into the attempted garden watering...I have a wet dog, with mud on all 4 paws and caked under her belly.
I have to get ready for work now, and I to deceide what to do....wash the dog or leave her muddy and let her in the house.

WET DOG...MUDDY DOG...which will it be--I have to get ready for work...which will it be???? I have no time to give her a proper bath unless she goes in the shower with me.

WET DOG WINS OUT and I take the hose to her washing off the mud the best I can. NOW she's WET---dripping WET. The flowers are half watered...and I have to get ready for work.

WET dog runs into the house ....drip drip...wet paw marks everywhere....OH MOMMY can we do that again tomorrow????--A good day...LOL

I forgot to mention I had to leave my shoes outside--too wet and muddy....

This is why god invented crates... just sayin'... :devil:

jeanne...rotflmao! Hilarious visuals you paint!

Puppy Training Log 05.27.10

Last night was bath night--if you could not have already predicted.

All 3 dogs had a cool bath and are all shiny, and clean. Hunter smells like fruit and flowers. (LOL...I'm sure he hates that)

It was a great night to wash, and cool the dogs at the same time. Everyone was hot, and I think all 3 enjoyed the water, and the attention.

Mischa proved his manly worth this morning. Mr. PeggyC was looking out the window and suddenly noticed something big and hairy darting under our shrubs, and Mischa was going nuts, trying to get out through the window screen. The he took off like a shot for the back of the house, and we followed hot on his trail. And there in our back yard, churning up the driveway and out across our neighbor's planting bed, was a huge groundhog, waddling as fast as his little rump could go. Apparently, Mischa scared the bejeezus out of him. It was so cute, but I'm glad it's afraid of Mischa, because I have ecchinacea (how the heck is that spelled??) I'd like to see bloom, and with a groundhog around, they won't. But now I'm worried about my crop of lettuce on the deck in container planters. H'mmm.

PeggyC--do you need to borrow Hunter?

Thanks, but I think Mischa has it handled for now. The groundhog can see/hear/smell him through the window screens, and that appears to be enough. I'd just better remember not to let him near an open door, or he'll bolt if he thinks there's a worthy warrior out there. He's such a big mush mouse when he wants cuddles, but I need to remember he's a big, strong boy cat with claws like scimitars. Thank goodness he hardly ever uses them for anything. :shocked:

Good for your cuddler Mischa! He gets extra lovin' today for being your lawn protector.

Our outside kitty Max keeps EVERYTHING off our property--it's kinda nice. My neighbors complain about moles, and squirrels and such--we have none of that---we also don't have a bunch of other cats either--he hates them. He allowed only 2 kitties here in 10 years--and they seemed to have been just passing through. Max is getting old now, so he's not so active as he once was. My one neighbor says she has a soft spot for MAX, since he's killed a number of rats.
I had to admit, that he might not be the actual killer anymore--but maybe.

Well, if you need a dog--or just the hair of a dog--let me know. (God knows I have plenty of dog hair in the house)

Ahhhh, that gave me a great idea. We have shoals of cat hair drifting around the house from time to time, and I know where to put THAT now! New mulch for the echinacea coming up! :devil:

Should I post the pict of the dead rat I found this morning at my back door? (Naaaaa)

Puppy Training Log 05.28.10

The dogs have been waking very early now--sometimes even before 5am. I think it might be because it is so light out. It's no use for me to try and make them go back to sleep--they just won't.
I've been taking them out, feeding them breakfast, and walking them again...as is our usual morning routine, but am able to return to bed by at least 6am, and sleep until it's my turn for the shower.

This morning Simone didn't want to go back to bed, but instead wanted to Scooby-doo talk to me, and Bella while we attempted to go back to sleep. Woo, wow, ow, whop, wooo....blah, blah, blah...she's a blabber mouth!

Last night Simone was so playful. My daughter and I took turns playing with her, throwing a tennis ball around the house and then some of her favorite soft toys. I would just like to take this time to note that Simone can easily squish a tennis ball flat in her mouth and when she does, her mouth is so large, you can't see the ball in there...you have to respect a dog who can hide a tennis ball in their mouth.

Probably the funniest thing last night was Bella Mia. She has recently started starring at my daughter in a demonic way...which freaks my daughter out, but amuses the rest of us. I'm not kidding when I tell you, Bella stares straight at my daughter without any emotion--no whites showing in her eyes, and her eyes look completely black--it is a bit unnerving. She held her stare and didn't blink for almost 2 minutes last night until my daughter started yelling how creepy little innocent Bella Mia was. "She's possessed, she is starring into my soul" my daughter screams! "She wants to kill me"!

I couldn't stop laughing. Bella doesn't look at me or my son that way at all. She's always cute, tail wagging, sweet and adorable--no demonic look at all--REALLY!

I was still laughing when I joked with my daughter that she shouldn't worry--due to her lack of opposable thumbs, Bella wouldn't be able to chase her around with a knife or anything. However....she should be careful if Bella comes up behind her on the stairs....ROFLMAO.....

Puppy Training Log 05.30.10

Today was one of those lazy days. A nap was had by all. EVEN ME!!!! YEAH!

Simone enjoyed being tied out attached to me on the long lead. The kids and I were doing some cleaning and clearing in the back yard and Simone was content to chew her bone and sit in the grass. She's so easy to be tied to. Bella is not so hard, but if a dog goes by I better be ready--and Hunter, poor Hunter, he can't be tied out because he is so crazy when another dog walks by. AND TO THINK...he's so much better...lol...it used to be he would work himself up so much, even 10 minutes after the dog passed he would still be barking and going nuts. Maybe some day....

Simone is greeting everyone at the door nicely now. Lauren had a friend over Friday and Simone LET HIM IN, without a nip or a problem. In the past she has nipped this boy more than once.

I'm starting to feel i could have people over now without the fear of Simone going nuts on them. She really has matured in the past 4 months, and behaves so nicely when I take her out in public.

It's going to be hot Monday, and I've l already called it the sleep late do nothing day. I still have to get up in the morning to walk and feed the dogs--but I plan to go back to bed. Condemn me if you will, but i plan on giving Simone her allergy meds as soon as we wake up. By the time she eats and gets her walk...SHE"LL BE READY FOR BED.

I hope this is how things go. God knows my weekend has not exactly gone according to plan, with my daughter having an ear infection (a very big deal), and me with a cold, and John still getting tired easy--so this tells me he still has walking pneumonia. We were at the Dr's 9 am Saturday, and then napping unplanned...not much getting done.

Puppy Training Log 06.01.10

17 days until Bella's birthday! I keep teasing that I am planning a princess themed party for her.
Well, I've got to top last year's gift right? Last year she got a real live pitty pup.

This year--no new puppy I'm afraid.

Wow does time fly when your raising puppies! It seems like just last year we brought home Hunter for our Molly, but Hunter will be 3 years old in August. And somewhere in that fog--we brought home Bella for Hunter (he was almost 1 year old then). Now my baby will be 2 years old--and much better behaved than even 6 months ago.

Then there is Simone. I must say in the past few months Simone has calmed down, and is turning into one awesome dog. She was 1 year last Feb 14th, and between then and now, she's come a long way in activity level and behavior. I can't wait for her grand parents to see her in mid June. Simone hasn't seen them since Christmas when she was at the top of her bad behavior meter. She also has grown--they might not recognize her!

Just for the record, I don't plan on any more puppies for at least 12-18 years. From now on--it's adult dogs all the way. AND because Simone wants to eat kitties-- there will be no more kitties in the house either. I can safely say our baby pet years are behind us.

Kind of a pity not to have baby animals around ... they are so wonderful, even if they ARE so much work! But it's great that all your hard work has paid off so beautifully, barring the occasional dream bone bashing. :rolling:

Trust me...the dream bone beatings continue daily...and no one is spared...not even the other dogs.

This morning SOMEONE left her dream bone just outside the bathroom door and my son came out blurry-eyed and trip on it. It's not only a good beating tool, but also big enough to trip over! She diabolical I tell you!

Puppy Nurses 101, 06.03.10

Well the girls have gone above and beyond to make sure I don't stay sick for long!

Both girls (Simone and Bella) spent the entire Wednesday with me in bed. Simone would stomp me and check on me often. Bella would cuddle up real tight, and every once in a while give my nose a good sniffing. Bella would offer to LET ME rub her belly--you know, so I would feel better (wink).

Poor Hunter is nursing a torn ligament (or something), so he can't be allowed on the bed, in case he jumps off and re-injures himself. I think he would have been if he could have jumped up. How did Hunter hurt himself??? Dog park running. He was just running in the dog park a few weeks ago with a bunch of other beagles when he just stopped--and then was limping around. It didn't help that Simone stomped his leg a few days later. HE HATES HER!

Hunter will cry out loud if Simone even approaches him. Last night he was on the couch, and she just came over to him--not even in a playful way and he let out a howl, if you heard it...you would think she was killing him. She hadn't even touched him.

Meanwhile...I will report that our own INNOCENT little Bella Mia jumped right up on the dinner table last night and took a wedge of watermelon. This is the same Bella Mia that usually sits in another room and sleeps while we eat.

DOGS!!!

It's nice to know they'll keep me company when I'm not feeling well.

A dog that loves watermelon? Wow.

Hope you feel better soon, Jeanneh.

Thanks PeggyC!

Who knew dogs love watermelon so much???? Once she had it in her mouth--she refused to give it up--even my son attempted and she would not release it for him. Eventually he was able to work it out, but she got a good hunk of the actual fruit. And, of course, was in big "T".

06.04.10, Dog go nuts:

This morning little Hobbs from Highland Place came to visit us.

I saw this cute little fluff running behind a "regular" morning person who walks by around 6am each morning. I was outside with Simone (74lbs of bull in a China shop), and little Hobbs crossed the street to come and say hi.

"OH", I basically screamed, "You should have your dog on a leash!" Luckily Simone didn't kill Hobbs. She wanted to play--but I estimate Hobbs is about 9lbs soaking wet.

The man was shocked-he hadn't seen the dog--and it wasn't his dog. He was kind enough to catch and hold on to Hobbs while I put Simone inside--to avoid having to return a dead Hobbs. Its not that I think Simone would intentionally kill him--it's just that she's so strong, and one playful wallop could have injured Hobbs.

Luckily Hobbs tags are easy to read, and I put him in the car and drove him back home. His mom didn't realize he had escaped the yard--AGAIN!

Meanwhile back at my house...the dogs went crazy and were inconsolable. Sorry to all the neighbors within a 2block radius.

Note to self--don't touch other dogs when my dogs are watching. Also how dare I give another dog a RIDE IN THE CAR!!!!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.