Perimenopause: how do ya know???

PeggyC, I gained the 30 pounds about six years ago over the space of a couple of years. Snuck on. But thanks for helping me feel better about it.

kmk, did someone say vertigo? That's my middle name now. I take decongestants and it helps. I think it's my right inner ear. The fact that it might be hormonal never ever occurred to me. I also have tinnitus in that ear, so I figure I'll be deaf soon. But I'd rather not be deaf and spinning.

KMK, really? You had vertigo??

I've always wondered whether the onset of menopause had something to do with the fact that I developed serious Meniere's Disease when I was 50 (horrible vertigo and vomiting). I never thought about the headaches I started getting two years later as being related to menopause, but now I will wonder about that, too. Jeez.

I had pretty serious BPV for about two years. I was terrified to drive. It absolutely corresponded with the arrival of most of my perimenopause symptoms and test results verifying what was happening hormonally.

Seemed like not only did my skin, eyes and hair dry up the functioning of my inner ear did as well. I found - strangely - that if I kept WELL hydrated most of my symptoms were minimized (including the anxiety and palpitations.) Keeping well hydrated means a million trips to the bathroom however!

Well, I had my bout with Meniere's in my 20s and 30s, so I can't blame that on perimenopause... ironically, during that period I was thinner than I'd ever been in my life, and still felt like crap all the time...

I actually really like my GYN, it's my primary care doctor that chalked up all my complaints to being overweight... I have wondered about the thyroid thing, but they did blood work last year and no red flags turned up in that area.

Bluepool, any chance you were having children around the same time your Meniere's was going on? I have also heard from several younger women that their Meniere's symptoms changed dramatically when they were pregnant. Which is part of why I have come to believe there's a strong hormonal factor in Meniere's.

But we are very far off-track for this thread, aren't we?

AHHHHhhhhhhh... if it's your primary care doctor who is saying your symptoms are because you are overweight, get yourself an appointment to see your ob/gyn. You might get significant relief if your GYN tweaks your pill prescription. S/he can figure out from tests what the balance of hormones in your system is currently and help you get on a dose of the pill that is better suited, if you are starting to shift into midlife gear. I know there is a huge backlash against hormone therapy for menopause symptoms these days, but I suspect it's because doctors were doing it WRONG after the first round of studies that got it all wrong. They are more careful with it now, from what I've read.

kmk, thanks for the hydration reminder. I have been notorious throughout my life for drinking as little as possible in order to avoid bathroom trips. Then with chemo I tripled up on my water intake and since then I've let it slide again. But this is a good reminder to DRINK MORE WATER.

PeggyC, no, I was not involved in child bearing at that point in time. I had heard similar reports about a connection between pregnancy and Meniere's symptoms, which is part of the reason why we chose to become parents through adoption.

I definitely need to make the GYN appointment, not only for the midlife change thing, but because I'm starting to suspect I might have an ovarian cyst...

Here's a weird one for you all: We all know about hot flashes as a symptom of menopause... is there such a thing as COLD flashes? I feel like I've been having these over the last couple of weeks... a sudden sensation of being absolutely chilled to the bone and unable to get warm unless I put on my down coat (indoors) or stand right next to the radiator...

I used to get chilly every time my monthly cycle changed gears. Usually when I was getting my period I would feel cold.

@bluepool, yep, I get 'em.

I used feel more vulnerable to cold changes in temperature when period was due; not as sensitive to that now, but my Reynaud's is more developed so even now in the absolute heat of a blazing Aussie summer I have to wear socks on my feet at night, or wear gloves of an evening.

If you have been taking the Pill for a number of years, it's possible that you might have what is known as Reynaud's Phenomenon, which is related to Reynaud's disease or syndrome. This is a circulation problem, and it's worse in winter. Affects the extremities like nose, hands, feet (and halfway up my legs), making hem numb and much more sensitive to cool temperatures. You may develop chilblains, or notice that your fingers turn white or blue; your toes are doing the same are actually quite sensitive to frostbite before other people would feel endangered. Your nose would turn bright red in cooler temperatures, well before anyone else's. And your doc has a test to check for Reynaud's, but not all of them would think of it. There is a link with one kind of Reynaud's and arthritis, but having one doesn't mean you have the other.

i suddenly have the skin of my 13 year old self. this is ugly.

Hi all,

I'm facilitating a free discussion on perimenopause and menopause this Thursday at 7pm at Wellspring Health Collective on Valley...you're invited!

doulamomma, that sounds great, will try to make it.

Interesting to reread my postings in this thread from almost a year and a half ago... I was in bad shape! Must have been a really bad case of winter blues or something. I feel better now, although still struggling with weight issues... but as my darling husband says, the weight itself is secondary, it's more about being physically fit enough to take part in adventures and activities that require some physical effort. I went kayaking this past weekend and did fine in a single kayak, so that was a nice affirmation that I'm not completely washed up yet...

I look forward to attending. This menopause thing is really kicking my butt.

So, I'm still going! And I wish I could attend the talk.

Great - looking forward to seeing some of you all there - please come and introduce yourselves!

Heat wave + perimenopause = no fun.

Indeed, Muppet. I seem to be among the lucky ones who is going to continue to have hot flashes forever (as some do). Each summer, I get to learn anew how miserable a hot flash is when the air temp is hot too. Truly wretched!

Well. Exciting week: officially another year older, (59) another proper period and gynae agrees it's not normal. Tests ensuing. We'll know more in 2 weeks.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Rentals

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!