Winter Storm Wednesday 3/7

yellowgato said:

are trains running into NY Penn from Secaucus?  The NJ website is not running properly. 

This is the alert (email and text) I just received from NJ Transit.  As far as the website not running properly can't speak to that but you need to look at the alerts for the lines that go from Penn to Secaucus. Chances are there are several that are running.

Morris and Essex, Gladstone and Montclair-Boonton Line service remains suspended due to overhead wire problems. 
Sent: 12:06 PM

No doubt town ownership and liability issues are the case.

Any truth to the rumor that we may be getting another nor'easter on Monday!? We lost power on Friday and can't take much more of this..

wendy said:

max_weisenfeld said:

Total snow in eastern Maplewood 7.5"

Melted down to 1.5" water for a 5.4:1 ratio.

Temps never really gpt below freezing, causing very dense snow here.  This would be 15" if it had been 2° colder.

I assume that if it had been 2 degrees colder we may not have had the extent of the damage our town and surroundings are now seeing. More snow but less damage, yes?

Yes, b/c it would not have stuck to the tree limbs as much, imho.

wallflower said:

Any truth to the rumor that we may be getting another nor'easter on Monday!? We lost power on Friday and can't take much more of this..

There is another system Monday.  It is too soon to tell whether it will be a major storm or just showers.

Latest snow fall map from NWS really shows how steep the drop off was from west to east.  A few miles meant several inches!

power back on near cedar ridge!!

I hope one of the TC candidates adopts a "cut all the big trees down" platform.  We could replace them with lovely topiaries.  It would even appease the anti-blower crowds as it would vastly cut down on leaves.  #singleissuevoter

oots said:

power back on near cedar ridge!!

Power is also back on Jefferson Ave.  This storm really whacked our trees.  It was much worse on the trees than Superstorm Sandy. 

Still no power in deep Hilton. I think our two streets (Van Ness Terrace and Menzel) are the last without power in Hilton.

I almost have to believe (hope) that after the last two storms, most of all the weaker branches and trees would have been culled out for the winter.

steel said:

I almost have to believe (hope) that after the last two storms, most of all the weaker branches and trees would have been culled out for the winter.

Or,   If it can go wrong it already did

Or branches that were previously strong are now weakened, and the next storm will take them out.  Not trying to piss anyone off, just being realistic. 

spontaneous said:

Or branches that were previously strong are now weakened, and the next storm will take them out.  Not trying to piss anyone off, just being realistic. 

spontaneous said:

I think I read somewhere that we only pass this way once............sounding better and better

Trains will be up and running on a regular weekday schedule. Just got the alert.

Any word on the storm that might be hitting on Monday? @max_weisenfeld

jules867 said:

Any word on the storm that might be hitting on Monday? @max_weisenfeld

Screw bread and milk, I'm going to start stocking up on gin and tonic

I am hesitating to start a thread as most of the models right now have Monday's system missing us.  Most but not all.

FWIW my tree man suggested trimming tree branches so that they don't form a 'sail', which ups the likelihood of downed trees and branches.

I just saw flurries outside.  Enough is enough.  How can I get a restraining order against Jack Frost?

From .gov

Sunday Night
A 30 percent chance of snow after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31.

Monday
A chance of snow before noon, then a chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Monday Night
A 30 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31.

The tree carnage out there is truly impressive. What an adventure trying to get to a physical therapy appointment this morning.

Adventure walking around town too.  Lots of dangling wires remain in roadways and on sidewalks and hanging overhead.  The size and amount of severed foliage on the sides of the roads is impressive.  Two streets I would normally have taken on my travels are still roped off.

joan_crystal said:

Adventure walking around town too.  Lots of dangling wires remain in roadways and on sidewalks and hanging overhead.  The size and amount of severed foliage on the sides of the roads is impressive.  Two streets I would normally have taken on my travels are still roped off.

Be careful, Joan!  grin 

The open question on Monday's system is the track.  It is likely to be a major storm like these last two, but will it be one here?  We cannot tell.  Right now, the best modeling has it well to our east, by almost 200 miles.  But the status of the overall climate, and the systems still in place now, have been tending to move the forecast track of these systems west as they get closer in time.  So I guess the best phrase would be, I'm cautiously optimistic that this one should miss us. 

We had to drive out to Livingston today.  The amount of damage to trees and shrubs is astounding!  even young trees that one would think of as supple/limber.  Broken down branches large and small everywhere!!!!

In The Secret Garden @ 377 we lost a 7 story blue spruce now on its side on the ground

Many limbs off a magnificent evergreen in our front lawn and sadly a number of limbs off older Japanese Snowbells in one of our rear shade nooks.

Best Regards,

Ron Carter

My son had the exact same story - down to the pt appointment.  He called me from SOMA because there were so many roads closed he couldn't figure out how to get out.

angelak said:

The tree carnage out there is truly impressive. What an adventure trying to get to a physical therapy appointment this morning.

trend in the models for Monday has been west. Would not be at all surprised if we get hit again. Doubt it’s as bad though. 

A good twitter follow, arguably the best for NJ weather: https://twitter.com/jhomenuk/status/972192911172493313?s=21

Make that three at pt in SOMA today and a couple of detours.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Rentals

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!