WINTER STORM WARNING Tuesday Midnight - Thursday morning 3/20 - 3/22

Are the jitneys running this morning? I assume so, but I haven’t seen one go by.

Snow measured this morning at 5.8" showed signs of both melting and subsistance.  A calculated snow maximum of about 8" for 1:00am would be reasonable.  Melted water of 0.61" is at the very bottom of the forecast.

Significantly higher snow accumulations are being reported both east and west of MAPSO:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From the NWS:

Snowfall totals through 1am:
Islip 14.0" (measured at midnight)
LaGuardia 8.7"
Kennedy 8.4"
Central Park 8.2"
Newark 7.9"
❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️
New snow totals received through 5 am can be viewed here:
https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=OKX&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Temps today will reach 40°.  Personally, I would shovel sooner as it will get stickier as the morning goes on.

It's look like 4-5 inches max on grass in Millburn and barely anything on sidewalks and streets.  Shocking, in a good way.

Not a bust in my weird micro-climate in WO. Though the difference between accumulations on the streets and non-streets is pretty striking.

Jackson_Fusion said:

A bust. Praised be.

Didn't take long to clear the snow this morning ... it's great snowball snow but not slushy just yet. The general consensus in our house is that yesterday's snow day was unnecessary, but that's some flagrant 20/20 hindsight. If kids had gone to school and we got anything like the higher realistic projections that would have been a cluster at pickup time. Even the dreaded unplanned early dismissal (i remember the last one). Cue the pitchforks and torches at the superintendent's office if that had happened.

I'm going to advance a conspiracy theory about this storm and one of the most powerful corporate forces in the world.

Tonight is opening night for "Frozen" on Broadway. I'm just sayin'. 

18" in Islip and still snowing.

Jackson_Fusion said:

A bust. Praised be.

Hardly a bust. 

@max_weisenfeld - do you think this is the last of it for the season?

Eastern LI is pretty far away.  Considering that early predictions had us in the 12-18 zone later downshifted to 8-12, the fact that our area generally got less than 8 (a lot less by me), is a welcome bust. 

That this storm didn't take down too many more trees/wires makes it seem all that more tame compared to the last two. If it ended up a bit more icy (which I was afraid of when the ice pellets (graupel?) started on Tues night), it could have been much worse.

jules867 said:

Damn I hope so!

bub said:

Eastern LI is pretty far away.  Considering that early predictions had us in the 12-18 zone later downshifted to 8-12, the fact that our area generally got less than 8 (a lot less by me), is a welcome bust. 

Hoboken and Union got 9 inches. Many locations within ten miles of us got more. Our immediate area got lucky. 

max_weisenfeld said:

jules867 said:

Damn I hope so!

Models are finally hinting at a pattern shift. So it appears we may finally be done. Subject to change of course.

WxNut2.0 said:

bub said:

Hoboken and Union got 9 inches. Many locations within ten miles of us got more. Our immediate area got lucky. 

This area got a general and widespread 8 - 9".  People who think they got less measured this morning or on paved or sheltered surfaces.  As I explained above in part, where and when you measure matter.  I doubt anyone within 5 miles got less than 6"

Also, Islip is central Long Island and only 54 miles as the snowflake flies.  This storm was 250 - 300 miles wide and took 36+ hours to cross the region.  The distance from MAPSO to Islip is a rounding error on the global models.

Great job, as usual, in keeping us informed, Max & WxNut2.0! I review what you both say before I look anywhere else. Thank you!

Whereabouts are you? I didn't bother measuring but when I snowblowed this morning it looked like about 4", maybe 6" at the most. Upper Gregory, about 450 ft. elevation. 

drummerboy said:

Not a bust in my weird micro-climate in WO. Though the difference between accumulations on the streets and non-streets is pretty striking.

I'm across from St. Barnabas. I haven't been out to measure it myself, but it looks like 6 inches or so.

kenboy said:

Whereabouts are you? I didn't bother measuring but when I snowblowed this morning it looked like about 4", maybe 6" at the most. Upper Gregory, about 450 ft. elevation. 
drummerboy said:

I got close to 8" in Morristown.  Shoveled out at 5 AM and it was pretty slushy at the bottom under that snow but not terrible.  Forty two degrees should do some melt damage to it today and tomorrow.

By the end of yesterday, a mile from my apartment, the lawns in Livingston were largely snow free.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.