Roy Moore

drummerboy said:

Just remember - half of Alabama voted for this obviously insane individual.

Among other things he says there:  "Abortion, sodomy and materialism have taken the place of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

I don't know about that, but it would be a great band name.

isn't it the title of a Pogues' album?

bub said:

I just stumbled across an article about how Moore's son, 27, had been arrested recently for the 9th time.   Not a ringing endorsement of bible-thumping as a child rearing strategy.

From what Moore has said on the subject, the kid was probably beaten and abused from infancy.  Not an excuse but context.

He says "We are in a struggle to preserve....our religion...."  

Not plural, singular.  What a scumbag.

nohero said:

drummerboy said:

Just remember - half of Alabama voted for this obviously insane individual.

Among other things he says there:  "Abortion, sodomy and materialism have taken the place of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

I don't know about that, but it would be a great band name.

nohero, ml1, back in the 70s and 80s there was an Aussie bush band (cross between folk music, Irish music and old pioneer ballads) called Rum, Buggery and the Lash. The name was part of a quote about life on aboard a whaling ship. cheese

(This isn’t the band, but gives an idea of some of the style of music)

https://youtu.be/x6SllcxLqNw

Winston Churchill, First Lord of the Admiralty, 1913, was accused of impugning the traditions of the the Royal Navy. 

He was said to reply, 'And what are they? They are rum, sodomy and the lash'.

https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,,-1433,00.html

the name of a Pogue's album, no?

BG9, his quote was actually ‘buggery’ cheese. Ridski could probably help me out here; I believe the crime is buggery. 

joanne said:

BG9, his quote was actually ‘buggery’ cheese. Ridski could probably help me out here; I believe the crime is buggery. 

Sodomy and buggery are pretty much interchangeable, but in the UK the act of parliament such crimes fell under was the Buggery Act of 1533. And no, Winston never actually said that quote. It's misattributed, but I'm not sure who it was who said it.

And yes, Rum, Sodomy and the Lash is a fine Pogues album.

Buggery had its own Act.  Who knew?

The questions are: for the Alabamians who voted for Moore, do they hands down not believe the allegations against him OR do they believe the allegations against him but still rather have a Republican in office? I think the latter. Even if we took out the evidence of him trolling for young girls, he was an exceptionally flawed candidate -- who people still would have voted for. 

kibbegirl said:

The questions are: for the Alabamians who voted for Moore, do they hands down not believe the allegations against him OR do they believe the allegations against him but still rather have a Republican in office? I think the latter. Even if we took out the evidence of him trolling for young girls, he was an exceptionally flawed candidate -- who people still would have voted for. 

I frequently argue about this with a friend when it comes to Trump.  I think the left (us) is making a huge mistake when they treat the right as monolithic.  There are some who vote strictly over abortion.  Some who are racist.  Some who hate "big government".  It's not one thing.

FilmCarp said:

kibbegirl said:

I frequently argue about this with a friend when it comes to Trump.  I think the left (us) is making a huge mistake when they treat the right as monolithic.  There are some who vote strictly over abortion.  Some who are racist.  Some who hate "big government".  It's not one thing.

Does it really make a difference or is it helpful to us whether we regard them as monolithic or not? 

Practically they may as well be monolithic considering who they politically support and how their supports back each other. I haven't seen a strategy dealing with them that is more effective whether monolithic or not monolithic.

I watched a focus group of six Trump voters on CNN this morning. Three said they regretted voting for Trump. The reasons they gave should have been apparent to them before the Election. One man said he began regretting his vote the day after the Election because Trump was being divisive. Wasn't that apparent from Trump's campaign?

An African American man who voted for Trump was upset that Trump was hostile to the NFL players' protests. Duh!

And then there was a lady who said that Government funding for The Arts was very important to her and she was upset that Trump and the Republicans were not doing more of that.

But they did regret voting for Trump.

LOST said:

I watched a focus group of six Trump voters on CNN this morning. Three said they regretted voting for Trump. The reasons they gave should have been apparent to them before the Election. One man said he began regretting his vote the day after the Election because Trump was being divisive. Wasn't that apparent from Trump's campaign?

An African American man who voted for Trump was upset that Trump was hostile to the NFL players' protests. Duh!

And then there was a lady who said that Government funding for The Arts was very important to her and she was upset that Trump and the Republicans were not doing more of that.

Here's what I'm gathering from seeing all the FB comments from Trump supporters that I had gone to HS with.  To a person, they are reveling in Trump sticking it to the libs. They believe that they were under attack during the Obama administration, and they had to "take it."  They were motivated to vote for Trump because it would piss off the libs. And that he has done.  I don't sense that any of those people care if some of Trump's plans, like the tax bill, or trying to get rid of the ACA through a thousand cuts hurt them personally.  As long as it hurts the libs more.

ml1
said:
Here's what I'm gathering from seeing all the FB comments from Trump supporters that I had gone to HS with.  To a person, they are reveling in Trump sticking it to the libs. They believe that they were under attack during the Obama administration, and they had to "take it."  They were motivated to vote for Trump because it would piss off the libs. And that he has done.  I don't sense that any of those people care if some of Trump's plans, like the tax bill, or trying to get rid of the ACA through a thousand cuts hurt them personally.  As long as it hurts the libs more.

YES! THIS! Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face! They just want to infuriate left-of-center, college-educated Americans. They call it "stigginit" (sticking it). They don't care about consequences to themselves. They just want to take down someone else. Like the serial killer who gets a life sentence and sticks out his tongue at the victims' loved ones as he is led away from the courtroom in handcuffs.  Like the abusive husband/father who murders his kids to get back at his ex-wife. "As long as I have the power to infuriate, harm, or devastate someone else, I don't care what happens to me."

It is too bad that you all think that they are all the same.  Our elections are so close that even peeling away a few layers of the onion would help us win.  But when we smugly assume that we know what all of them are thinking it just reinforces their own stereotypes of us.

Agreed.  I know several people (well) who voted for Trump and hey don't fit this description at all.  

FilmCarp said:

It is too bad that you all think that they are all the same.  Our elections are so close that even peeling away a few layers of the onion would help us win.  But when we smugly assume that we know what all of them are thinking it just reinforces their own stereotypes of us.

ml1 said:

In what way were they "under attack"? What did they have to "take"? Really. What policies of the Obama Administration impacted them personally in a negative way?

LOST said:

ml1 said:

In what way were they "under attack"? What did they have to "take"? Really. What policies of the Obama Administration impacted them personally in a negative way?

Duh!

LOST said:

It's kind of like going to Denny's and then complaining that the food was bad.

Well, Obama took away all of their guns and nationalized all business. All of their bank accounts were emptied and the money was distributed to poor minorities. Pretty sure that happened... right?

LOST said:

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

Duh!

Is that the best you can do? He didn't say that they disagreed with Obama's policies. They say they were "under attack". Were you "under attack"? In what way?

qrysdonnell said:

Well, Obama took away all of their guns and nationalized all business. All of their bank accounts were emptied and the money was distributed to poor minorities. Pretty sure that happened... right?

LOST said:

ml1 said:

I must have been out of the Country the day that happened.

He made Christmas illegal too.

LOST said:

qrysdonnell said:

LOST said:

ml1 said:

I must have been out of the Country the day that happened.

qrysdonnell said:

He made Christmas illegal too.

I wish! 

More annoying commercials than usual. More traffic. More crowds.

Of course. I'm speaking of the 1/3 of the country that still approves of Trump. The hardcore base. 

If you look through everything I've posted on politics and what I think of who voted for Trump, I don't think "smug" would describe it. 

FilmCarp said:

this is your most eloquent post.

mtierney said:

LOST said:

ml1 said:

Duh!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.