Sarabeth and Simon's legacy: Charlotte

Loose latches only bother me when they are useful to a cat who is bent on getting into trouble.  grin 

Me, too, Peggy! This morning I let Gracie into the yard, and back in the house, before I let the cats out of their respective rooms.  I am trying the Jackson Galaxy technique to introduce the cats,again.  Because they both seemed pretty mellow and accepting, I made the mistake of putting them both in the same room at night.  While there were no fur-flying,blood shedding cat fights, Charlotte has been very hissy with Timmy.  I think she regards him as her annoying little brother. 

Yesterday, Charlotte showed  potential to become a velcro cat.  She followed me all over, was my cuddle buddy on the couch while I was reading, on top of my computer keyboard when I was trying to do something. Today, she ate part of her breakfast, and is camped out under the bed in "her" room.

Here is a shot from yesterday.

How is Timmy doing today? I wonder if his escape attempt was partly a response to stress about the vet.

Timmy is a goofball! Today, having learned my lesson, I let Gracie into the yard, and brought her back in, AND fed her her breakfast (because both the Starving Cats descended on her dinner yesterday--- I had to feed her after they were in their rooms for the night) I went up and down to the basement, doing laundry, several times, to day, and I sequestered him in the bathroom---he didn't break out, at all.  It makes me think that yesterday was a question of human error, more than puddy cat prestidigitation! Timmy is currently lounging in the dining room, not far from Gracie.

Today Charlotte seems to be very cautious around Gracie---I don't know why, because I have been there every time there has been any interaction.  She spent most of the day under the bed, in "her" room.  As long as she seems healthy, I will allow her to do that. She needs to get comfortable with the rhythms of the household.

I bought a Feliway diffuser, so I will see if that helps. 

So, a little excitement while I was preparing dinner.  Charlotte is a counter surfer. As I was at the sink, she jumped up on the counter by the stove and had fixed her sites on the cheese sauce bubbling on the stove.  She knocked off a bowl of dry pasta and was headed to the pot with the flame under it! I spun around as the bowl hit the floor,  just in time to keep her away from the burner! I had to scruff her because she was about a half second from self-immolation.

I will have to provide for these two in my will,because they will be the death of me, yet!

Wow. Some serious kitty training needed here! Cats are one reason why I don't really favor totally open concept spaces. I like being able to shut the cats out of the kitchen while I cook. Even then, when I am done, I put pans of cold water on the burners I have used to keep cat paws off them and cool them down faster (we have electric again, sigh).

Charlotte is learning--- I am clicker training her, and when I say "Off" she jumps right down. For her safety, today I didn't have time to do that- I really had to grab her (at the same time turning off the burner)  I just wish I could train her not to jump up in the first place.  Poor Gracie .  I have to lock up Timmy before I can let her out.  And when I take her for a walk, I have to lock him up because boundaries mean nothing to him.  Timmy's Theme song is  ♫♪♬Don't Fence Me In♫♪♬  and Charlotte's is ♫♪♬ Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte♫♪♬  She is very vocal, but has a tiny little kitten voice.  Timmy sounds like a baby goat.

I wonder how hard it must be for him, trying to navigate a blurred, jumbled view of the world. It would feel stable but would hard to trust what you see even if you hadn't seen any other way your entire life. 

If he sees differently from other creatures he would never know, Joanne. He has nothing to compare his world view to, so he probably just feels it's the norm.

Calli, of course you had to grab! there's no time in a crisis to hope she will respond the way you want. But let's hope the training "takes" over time. 

My cats don't spend time on the counters when I'm cooking any more, but I'm afraid that's because I gently but firmly removed them every time they jumped up while I was working in there. Now, they seem to know that if it's not their breakfast or dinner time, they should not go in there. I can live with that, although I completely see the benefits of positive reinforcement for training.

Today was the first day I saw Timmy actually play! He and Gracie played tag, like Gracie used to do with Sarabeth. Then I accidentally kicked a catnip ball, he chased it---played with it, and made it clear to me that he wanted me to play with him. This is a major breakthrough! He got into mischief, and frankly, trouble, but he never engaged with anyone, even Charlotte. Now, the two of them are companionable-- I have seen them touch noses, and pass each other without hissing. I think it may be the Feliway working. I have 2 diffusers and a little spray, that I haven't had to use since last week. Charlotte is very affectionate cat, she is always near me, on the couch, on the computer (and I mean that literally) And she does this thing she did when we were in the visiting room at PetSmart---she like to hold my hand. When I move it, she replaces her paw on my hand. She really is very sweet. I think they have both made real progress in only 3 weeks.

Wonderful!  Was Gracie excited to play again?

Oh! Was she ever! She lit up like a puppy again---it made me cry!

Oh, this is such wonderful news. Does my heart good on a chilly morning.  rolleyes 

Love it! Put a smile on my face!!

Excerpt from Timmy's Journal:

Today, I continue to plot my escape. All my attempts have been cleverly foiled by the woman and that fluffy giant sidekick of hers. That stool pigeon  (is it a Wooly Mammoth? a Grizzly Bear? it is far too smart and alert to be---dare I say it?---a D-O-G!) never stops watching my every move, and reporting it to the woman. I must find a way to elude them, disarm them with my charm and baby blue eyes.

I was so frustrated at my failed plans, today, that I smashed the china plates upon which the one called Charlotte and I dine.(BTW, the food is quite tasty, but the delivery takes so long) I have not yet begun to understand the allegiance of the one called Charlotte. She seems friendly enough, but she wants no part of my plan to break out of here. She has tried to persuade me that this place is good---warm beds and tasty meals, unlimited catnip, scratching posts, clean litter boxes, and a view from every window. Not only that, she has told me the woman is kind, and very good at ear and chin skritches. I will not be seduced! I told her there is more to life than creature comforts, I must hunt! I must explore! I must take inventory of every object behind every door, and the woman must never be allowed to be alone in the bathroom!

I must >yawn< ponder this puzzle...soon...very soon

TO BE CONTINUED

He is trying to disguise himself as an avocado, now.

Calli, can you hear me laughing??  oh oh 

I thought that was you, @emmie!

Hah!! Oh but he's so fluffy

No, no, I think he wants to be a toasted-sandwich press!!! See, just lift the two upper legs, enfold said sandwich in the tummy region, and he'll "toast" (digest) that sandwich for you....!  oh oh 

They are both so beautiful, and both seem to be making good progress toward settling into their new home. And who knew Timmy was such a comedian?

Pardon the picture quality-- I just grabbed the camera, pointed and shot.  I wanted to get all three in frame.

A bit fuzzy but still adorable.  All 3 in the same camera frame!

Gracie seems to be on high alert there... What happened next? Inquiring minds need to know.  smile 

Nothing- Gracie looked at me, Timmy walked away and Charotte resumed playing Candy Crush on the computer.--but Gracie had just been smacked by Charlotte who was eating out of Gracie's bowl,and took umbrage when Gracie wanted to finish her breakfast. So she was probably a little wary of Timmy.

Ahhh, that explains it. The ears, position of head and paws look like she was kinda excited! She must be having such a good time figuring out her new siblings.

Poor Timmy! He has Giardia. He and Charlotte are being medicated, and I was advised to provide a sample from Gracie, and to look for symptoms, myself.  Oy.

Maybe if he starts feeling better Timmy will settle down a little. Every time a door opens in this house, Timmy materializes. As a consequence, BEFORE I open a door to the outside (or the garage) I have to seek him out, and put him behind a closed door.

I now have to let Gracie into the yard and feed her breakfast, before I let the cats out of their room. I was getting ready to give them free range, but now with the Giardia development, I will continue to keep them in the guest room at night, for a while.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.