Sarabeth and Simon's legacy: Charlotte

Very glad that Gracie got her blanket back and very impressed by your art.

Thanks for the kind words on the watercolor--- I am very rusty---and I see all the mistakes in proportion , but, as i said, it was just a quick sketch, so I hope as I exercise that atrophied artistic muscle, it will grow stronger.  She was a very patient subject.  I had to keep calling her name to get her to look at me, which is why, I guess, she looks slightly startled.

Even a sketch done with "rusty skills" managed to capture her look and personality pretty darned well.  grin 

Charlotte must have scavenged and foraged for food, during the time it took her to return to her original home, after they gave her away (I think it took her almost 2 weeks to travel over 5 miles).

When she came to live here, her body condition score from the vet was "1". Every bone could be felt---her spine, her hips, her ribs all protruded ---although she is so furry, it was not as obvious, but shocking when she was held.

She's been here about 8 weeks, and while I haven't weighed her, I can feel that she has gained weight. I have been feeding her 4 small meals per day---a high quality grain free cat food with a high protein supplement added in. She loves her food, is always anxious to eat, and always seems satisfied after every meal.

YET, I cannot eat a meal without her trying to take the food right out of my mouth, or trying to eat off my plate---she doesn't care what it is. 

Now, I have had cats who were beggars, before, but nothing like this! Last night I had eggplant, my little lion acted like it was fresh killed gazelle! I had to sequester her in her room, (with plenty of treats and toys---not exactly punishment)while I ate 

This morning, I decided to have just toast and tea. Charlotte knocked all the toast on the floor, and wolfed down half a piece before I could turn around (and clean up the plate) I am going to have to take all my meals in a closet from now on--- I will feel like Harry Potter.

Charlotte has been here just over 2 months.  She and Gracie are doing pretty well---they tend to sleep in fairly close proximity.  She has gained weight, her vertebrae and ribs are no longer clearly visible. Her coat, which was dull and cottony---is now sleek and shiny and so silky to the touch. And she wants to be touched! She seeks affection at every opportunity. She has become a little love bug. She loves to hold my hand.  Sunday morning,when we were all awake, but still in bed, Charlotte slipped her paw under my wrist, her other paw on top of my hand, and then rested her head on that hand sandwich,and purred. 

A beautiful photo!  Thanks for the happy update.  Charlotte is so lucky that she is with you.

awww Charlotte!  rolleyes 

She is so beautiful, and I'm thrilled you found such a love bug.  rolleyes 

She is looking beautiful, good job Calli, I love a cuddle bum, wish my 1 year old new Slinky boy was more cuddly!

Don't give up hope, Emmie. I have three cats that never used to be lap cats, yet suddenly in the last year or two they have all become world-class cuddlers. I have no explanation.

Thanks PeggyC, hope springs eternal!

emmie, I think the key , if there is one, is to let the cat come to you. I do think it is dependent on a cat's personality, but most of them warm up, eventually.  

I was totally spoiled by my two---from the day I got her, I called Sarabeth Velcro.  And she spent every night in the crook of my arm with her head on my shoulder. I never told this story before, but after Simon died, Sarabeth woke me up, patting my face and giving me kisses---she was insistent and wouldn't stop for a long time. I don't really know what that was about, but I think she was reassuring me that she really loved me---maybe she knew she wasn't long for this world.   She was living on borrowed time. Simon would not have survived without her if she died when she was so sick in 2014.  To get an additional 18 months was truly a gift.

Calli, Slinky has been warming up since I last posted here. He jumps on the bed in the middle of the night and nudges Mr. emmie's hand with his head so he can have his ears stroked. Since I got his nails cut, earlier this week, he is no longer able to open all my dresser drawers, which is truly a good thing.He is a real sweetie  and I am so glad I rescued him from an abandoned apartment in Newark. Thanks for the encouragement! 

emmie, I am so happy that Slinky is warming up! Charlotte has been spending the last few nights in my bedroom. She starts out on the vanity bench, then moves to the bed. If I am reading or watching TV, she cuddles next to me, then when the light goes out, she settles at the foot of the bed.  She just needed time. Neither of us is going anywhere.

calliope said:

emmie, I am so happy that Slinky is warming up! Charlotte has been spending the last few nights in my bedroom. She starts out on the vanity bench, then moves to the bed. If I am reading or watching TV, she cuddles next to me, then when the light goes out, she settles at the foot of the bed.  She just needed time. Neither of us is going anywhere.

grin 

Erm...  tongue rolleye 

She's very patient! Obviously a great sense of humour, too. Did Gracie dress up?

They had body doubles (I wouldn't really do that to them.  Gracie would do it , probably, but I would never ask her.

D was about to say 'yeah, right!' With THAT look, but I gave him a "Julie-Bishop" glare!

(You need to google Julie Bishop and her glare/stare/look)

Charlotte has been settling in. Maybe  getting a little too comfortable.  She can be a brat to Gracie, daring her to cross a threshold by lounging in a doorway---confusing my poor dog, who barks for me to come rescue her. But most of time they are fairly companionable.  

She is much more affectionate than she was, coming me for "lovies" and kneading and snuggling, and sleeping on the bed with me.  But, I just dropped a sample off at the vet, yesterday, because she seems to be "irregular" had blood in her stool,  and is just not herself.  Hopefully, it will just mean a change in diet.  But, I am worried.  Because of the holiday, probably no results until later in the week. LOL

Miss May centerfold shot!  I will know for sure after we visit the vet, but she was just 8lbs when she came home in January---a mangy, rangy, bag o' bones. I think she is up to 13 lbs now---and she is a big cat, could probably use a couple more pounds.

Calli, she is just gorgeous! What a contented, seductive pose!  rolleyes 

She's a real beauty. I hope she gets a clean bill of health or, if diagnosed with something, is easily cured.

Gratuitous photo of Charlotte.

She is so beautiful. rolleyes 

You can never have too many photos of a gorgeous kitty.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!