Sarah and the Red Hen

Smedley said:
On one hand, the owner was 100% within her right to ask sarah to leave. After all, she defended a baker’s right to not bake a wedding cake for a gay couple. So you can’t have it both ways, ie allow one business owner to do what serve who they want but squawk when you’re the one who’s denied service (as Sarah did). 
On the other hand, it’s messed up that this happened and it’s reflective of the hyper-polarized times. I think it’s kind of scary and I also think it’s only a matter of time before somebody is killed. (I would have said “hurt or killed” but hurt already happened with Steve Scalise.) 

Masterpiece Cake Excerpt from Opinion: He first asserted that applying CADA [(AKA Colorado Anti-Discrimination Act)] in a way that would require him to create a cake for a same-sex wedding would

violate his First Amendment right to free speech by compelling him to exercise his artistic talents to express a message with which he disagreed. 

Hey Semdley:

Where are the artistic talents in the case of Red Hen?

I am pretty sure that the Masterpiece Cake holding is limited to those providing goods/services that involve artistic talents.  AFAIK, Red Hen has no artistic talents being used in preparing eggs and toast.

this is a completely serious question-

What country can I move to fairly easily and get a permit to work in fairly easily.? My preference would be Europe.

conandrob240 said:
this is a completely serious question-

What country can I move to fairly easily and get a permit to work in fairly easily.? My preference would be Europe.

I actually copied and pasted your question into Google and this is what I got:

https://www.wework.com/creator/start-your-business/6-countries-where-its-easy-to-snag-a-work-visa/

hmm. I’m not a “young American” or student nor am I an entrepreneur. I’ll keep digging..

Andorra...........a small land locked country on the Iberian Peninsula.  It's army has not fought a war in 700 years.  It is a tax haven.  It has the highest life expectancy rate in the world.  

Population is only 77,000 of which only a third are citizens.........which means setting up shop there looks doable.

Some small amount of English spoken but mostly the Romance languages.  Italian, Spanish etc

Looks like about 90 per cent of health care provided by the Government to working people.

No extradition treaty with the USA.

Smedley said:
I think there’s a bit of hysteria on this thread. 
If you really believe we are headed towards a true fascist/authoritarian regime, then by all means protest, harass, rise up, punch, push back, etc. Do what you have to do, no matter how ugly, to resist and out-Trump Trump. 
I do not think we are moving towards fascism/authoritarianism. I do think we have a jerky president who’s being overly muscular in certain areas and feeding on all the divisiveness. However our nation, people, and system of checks and balances are much bigger than one POTUS — he is in fact a temporary employee and he will be history in January 2021 or January 2025 at the latest. 
Just note that if we are just in the middle of a kinda sh*tty period right now but not moving towards fascism/authoritarianism, all-out resisting may have a cost in the form of upcoming elections, most notably the 2020 presidential election. There’s no way that going all Maxine Waters isn’t going to alienate some middle voters and fire up the GOP base more than it’s already fired up. 

That's a lot of #privilege speaking there.

ml1 said:
between voter suppression and gereymandering, no our elections are not free and fair compared to the rest of the developed world. 

True.

There is no way elections are fair when you have gerrymandering, where the politicians pick the voters.

And its not fair when you suppress some of the electorate. 

Smedley said:

Do you believe U.S. elections are not free and fair?

Its a structural thing but any system where you hold an election and the guy who gets 3 million fewer votes than his opponents wins is certainly not fair.

LOST said:
"Eternal vigilance is the price  of Liberty"

Agree 100%. 

I disagree with the notion that we're in a full-on crisis careening towards a fascist and authoritarian state, and we should resist accordingly.  

Steve said:
 That's a lot of #privilege speaking there.

Happy to hear your views on the topics at hand. Not much to say to a seven-word potshot. 

Smedley said:

LOST said:
 Agree 100%. 
I disagree with the notion that we're in a full-on crisis careening towards a fascist and authoritarian state, and we should resist accordingly.  

Clearly, you aren't being very vigilant.

Klinker said:

Smedley said:

LOST said:
 Agree 100%. 
 Clearly, you aren't being very vigilant.

Ok that's where we disagree.

Look I probably want to see Trump lose in 2020 -- depends on the candidate of course, but I doubt I'd dislike anyone more than Trump. I think the best way to unseat him is for the Democratic Party to focus on the issues, find a good candidate, and keep things civil (easier said than done of course). 

I think trying to out-Trump Trump with a strident and hysterical #resist movement is a prescription for failure.  

You really think it's hysterical to resist an openly racist and xenophobic administration? You think it's "civil" to not call out the likes of Steve King retweeting known neo-Nazis?

Odd that the sudden call for civility didn't arise until a few liberals started acting out.

IMO it's hysterical to say we're careening towards fascism/authoritarianism and we must act. And it's civil to not create a crowd and push back when you see someone from the administration in public. Stuff like that.

Doesn't mean sit meekly by and do/say nothing. 

Look, Trump won in 2016. He can win in 2020. The left's still going to hate trump in 2020, and the right will still (most likely) support him. That leaves the middle voters as the swing sector, as per usual. How do you reach those middle voters? Not by yelling at people in restaurants.  

Smedley said:
That leaves the middle voters as the swing sector, as per usual. How do you reach those middle voters? Not by yelling at people in restaurants.  

A counterargument is that the middle voters aren’t as crucial (or maybe not as swayable, one way or another) as a motivated base. An argument you’re not buying?

there has been so much incivility on the right for more than a quarter century that these criticisms of liberals are silly. It's like we've been slapped in the face hundreds and hundreds of times, turned the other cheek for decades, and now suddenly slapping back is beyond the pale? Nonsense. 

Not to mention that disrupting someone's dinner is such a small thing in comparison to the horror of taking children away from asylum seeking parents out of racism and xenophobia. 

We need to have perspective. Sanders hurt feelings are nothing compared to the misery she's enabling. Why should she be allowed to go through her life thinking she's a virtuous person? She clearly is not. And that's not about her political affiliation. It's about her ethics and morals. Or lack thereof. 

terp said:

shoshannah said:
This country faces a crisis for those of us who do not want to live under fascism. This is not a time to be "nice" to members of the regime who are actively dismantling the country and moving toward authoritarianism. The Red Hen performed an act of resistance. Every small act of resistance that puts sand in their gears, that calls them out, that demonstrates that Americans will not stand for fascism, is a good thing.
 We've been moving towards this for some time.  We have had militarism for decades.  We have been centralizing power in the presidency for quite a while as well.   
Obama had the chance to turn back the clock on some of this stuff but he gave into political expediency.  Thanks, in part to Obama and his predecessors, Trump can wage war as he wishes(and even have much of the left on his side), can effectively legislate quite a bit from the executive, monitor the people at a level never before seen in history, throw political opponents in jail without charging them, etc. 
To be honest, I share your concern.  I only fear that your solution is to take these very same powers  from Trump and hand them over to someone more to your liking. 

Seriously, I was waiting for someone to blame Obama. Thanks. But what about the emails?

DaveSchmidt said:

Smedley said:
That leaves the middle voters as the swing sector, as per usual. How do you reach those middle voters? Not by yelling at people in restaurants.  
The counterargument is that the middle voters aren’t as crucial (or maybe not as swayable, one way or another) as a motivated base. An argument you’re not buying?

Could be. Certainly get out the vote is critical for both sides. But in the present situation I believe for every degree the left's temperature rises, that may motivate a non-voting left voter to vote, but it will also motivate an offsetting non-voting right voter to vote. So it will come down to the middle.  

Smedley said:
I think there’s a bit of hysteria on this thread. 
If you really believe we are headed towards a true fascist/authoritarian regime, then by all means protest, harass, rise up, punch, push back, etc. Do what you have to do, no matter how ugly, to resist and out-Trump Trump. 
I do not think we are moving towards fascism/authoritarianism. I do think we have a jerky president who’s being overly muscular in certain areas and feeding on all the divisiveness. However our nation, people, and system of checks and balances are much bigger than one POTUS — he is in fact a temporary employee and he will be history in January 2021 or January 2025 at the latest. 
Just note that if we are just in the middle of a kinda sh*tty period right now but not moving towards fascism/authoritarianism, all-out resisting may have a cost in the form of upcoming elections, most notably the 2020 presidential election. There’s no way that going all Maxine Waters isn’t going to alienate some middle voters and fire up the GOP base more than it’s already fired up. 

DENIAL is a very strong defense mechanism.

Ever ask yourself how it happened in Germany, which was a very advanced society at the time? It. Is. Happening. Not a one-to-one comparison. It will be our own special form of fascism. Unique to the USA. Congrats to us.

mem said:

terp said:

shoshannah said:
This country faces a crisis for those of us who do not want to live under fascism. This is not a time to be "nice" to members of the regime who are actively dismantling the country and moving toward authoritarianism. The Red Hen performed an act of resistance. Every small act of resistance that puts sand in their gears, that calls them out, that demonstrates that Americans will not stand for fascism, is a good thing.
 We've been moving towards this for some time.  We have had militarism for decades.  We have been centralizing power in the presidency for quite a while as well.   
Obama had the chance to turn back the clock on some of this stuff but he gave into political expediency.  Thanks, in part to Obama and his predecessors, Trump can wage war as he wishes(and even have much of the left on his side), can effectively legislate quite a bit from the executive, monitor the people at a level never before seen in history, throw political opponents in jail without charging them, etc. 
To be honest, I share your concern.  I only fear that your solution is to take these very same powers  from Trump and hand them over to someone more to your liking. 
 Seriously, I was waiting for someone to blame Obama. Thanks. But what about the emails?

It's not about blaming Obama.  It's more realizing the general trajectory of things when Trump took over. I've been talking about this on this board from way before Trump. 

Smedley said:
IMO it's hysterical to say we're careening towards fascism/authoritarianism and we must act. And it's civil to not create a crowd and push back when you see someone from the administration in public. Stuff like that.
Doesn't mean sit meekly by and do/say nothing. 
Look, Trump won in 2016. He can win in 2020. The left's still going to hate trump in 2020, and the right will still (most likely) support him. That leaves the middle voters as the swing sector, as per usual. How do you reach those middle voters? Not by yelling at people in restaurants.  

You are talking some isolated incidents of individuals and raising them to the level of the policies actions of the president. Stephanie Wilkinson isn't running for president and what she did is not even 1/1,000,000th of what Trump and his supporters have done.

If a restaurant owner throwing someone out of their place is enough to convince you to vote for Trump and his...

- Muslim ban 

- Trying to throw people off of their health insurance plans

- Separating migrant parents and children

- Disinterested response to suffering Puerto Ricans

- Praising dictators and spurning allies 

- Opting into trade wars

...then you might not find an opposition candidate worth of your vote.

How many Trump voters are created every time someone gets kicked out of the Gaslight?

Yes I've been referring to the restaurant owner only. Not a Democratic congresswoman calling for open hostility.

Smedley said:
Yes I've been referring to the restaurant owner only. Not a Democratic congresswoman calling for open hostility.

Okay, I guess her comments are on par with things said and done in aggregate by Trump, Sanders, Mnuchin, Sessions, Pompeo, Coats, Pruitt and--last but not least-Miller.

Yeah, it must be tough lingering in the "middle."

author said:
Andorra...........a small land locked country on the Iberian Peninsula.  It's army has not fought a war in 700 years.  It is a tax haven.  It has the highest life expectancy rate in the world.  
Population is only 77,000 of which only a third are citizens.........which means setting up shop there looks doable.
Some small amount of English spoken but mostly the Romance languages.  Italian, Spanish etc
Looks like about 90 per cent of health care provided by the Government to working people.
No extradition treaty with the USA.

The official language of Andorra is Catalan.

Smedley said:

LOST said:
 Agree 100%. 

How do we know when we are?

Smedley,

you talk about "free and fair elections".

Do you know that in Federal elections, and in many, many state elections, Dems regularly get more than 50% of the total vote, yet end up with far less than 50% of the elected representatives. This has been going on for years and years.

How is that free and fair?

What do you think of the political persecution of Hillary Clinton by the Republicans (yes, 7 Benghazi investigations, each proving nothing, equals political persecution).

Mitch McConnell taking it upon himself to control the makeup of the Supreme Court in an unprecedented power grab.

Republicans writing major legislation in back rooms and breaking any rules that might stand in their way to get them passed.

Rallies held by our President that are as hate-filled and divisive and full of lies as anything this country has ever seen. I can only think of one or two other politicians in the last 100 years who did anything similar, but I'm hesitant to name them or else I'll be called hysterical.

Yeah, some Democracy we got here.

Here's the problem - by the time that you recognize authoritarianism, it will be way too late.

Smedley said:

Look I probably want to see Trump lose in 2020 -- depends on the candidate of course, but I doubt I'd dislike anyone more than Trump. 

You use "probably" and "doubt". I could throw something out of my window and I'd vote for whomever it hit over Trump.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.