Hamas and Israel

paulsurovell said:

Morganna said:

My earlier post referred to Congressman Gregory Meeks Democrat of New York, on the Foreign Affairs Committee. He shared the information about the babies.  I wanted to share the highest ranking official that I had heard it from. Again, it will be welcome news if this is not accurate.

I saw that interview on CNN and my understanding was that Meeks learned about the allegation of beheading from "the news" after he emerged from the classified briefing, which -- if true -- suggests that he was not told of that in the briefing itself.  Perhaps a video of Meek's interview will appear or we will be able to find the transcript tomorrow.

Here's the transcript of the Meeks interview. Yes, he was parroting what he heard on CNN, which was parroting what it heard from Netanyahu's spokesperson. Transcript appears in two segments:

https://transcripts.cnn.com/show/cnc/date/2023-10-11/segment/05

BOLDUAN: All right, thank you, we're going to keep a close eye on that. But also let's go back to the House of Representatives because house lawmakers, they just wrapped up a classified briefing on the attack on Israel. What is known, what they're learning. Joining me right now is the top Democrat on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, Congressman Greg Meeks.

Congressman, thank you so much for jumping on, obviously, in classified briefing, there's a lot you can't tell me, but can you give me a sense of what your sense is and what your headline is coming out of that briefing with top officials?

REP. GREGORY MEEKS (D-NY): That the United States and presidential administration is focused on making sure that Israel has what it needs to defend itself. That -- there's some -- and I'm still, Kate, you know, hearing reports on these babies that have been beheaded --

BOLDUAN: I know, congressman, I was going to ask you about --

MEEKS: I've got to say --

BOLDUAN: That. Let's just -- let's just -- we're just -- I mean, I --

https://transcripts.cnn.com/show/cnc/date/2023-10-11/segment/06

KATE BOLDUAN, CNN ANCHOR: Yes. Your reaction to that, did you just -- your reaction or if you have heard anything more about that --

REP. GREGORY MEEKS (D-NY): Yes.

BOLDUAN: Or if you were able to get this greater sense of the enormity of the horror in this briefing and what you've heard.

MEEKS: It's just unbelievable. It -- we've heard reports previously. I had been going back and forth. We didn't have the confirmation. I'm hearing for the first time that confirmation while I was waiting and listening to the story.

And I got to tell you. It just -- I just -- my soul is hurting. It just shows you the evil of Hamas and its people that are carrying out these horrendous, unspeakable, indefensible killings. Babies, that calf -- I just -- it's just -- and there's a lot that we've been focused on. And I agree that we have to. But it just -- I just apologize because it really just got to me. But it was confirmed.

BOLDUAN: There is absolutely no reason to apologize because there's no way to wrap your mind around how anyone could do this. This is a war crime. This is worse than a war crime. It's not OK.

Sara Sidner, who reported the story earlier in the segment, has apologized for her reporting:

Well this seems decidedly unhelpful.

and I'm no fan of Benjamin, but this is pretty scandalous. and decidedly unhelpful.

and pretty stupid and amateurish too.

I’m just astounded that Hamas actually believed they could just kill hundreds of civilians and the rest of the world would rationalize it. What were they thinking Israel would do? Beg them to release the hostages? Reward them monetarily? I mean, wtf is wrong with people? Israel got conned by Putin into making deals with Hamas and the Palestinian Authorities. Bibi just learned the hard way that you can never trust the Russians or the Arab leadership. What I’m sure of, is this crap will never happen again. It’s time to clean up the mess. 

“We can’t lose sight of the fact that the overwhelming majority of Palestinians had nothing to do with Hamas,” Biden said. “And they’re suffering as a result as well.”

Biden says humanitarian crisis in Gaza a priority as evacuation deadline nears | The Times of Israel

nohero said:

“We can’t lose sight of the fact that the overwhelming majority of Palestinians had nothing to do with Hamas,” Biden said. “And they’re suffering as a result as well.”

Biden says humanitarian crisis in Gaza a priority as evacuation deadline nears | The Times of Israel

I guess our prez should talk to their prez.

Jaytee said:

I’m just astounded that Hamas actually believed they could just kill hundreds of civilians and the rest of the world would rationalize it. What were they thinking Israel would do? Beg them to release the hostages? Reward them monetarily? I mean, wtf is wrong with people? Israel got conned by Putin into making deals with Hamas and the Palestinian Authorities. Bibi just learned the hard way that you can never trust the Russians or the Arab leadership. What I’m sure of, is this crap will never happen again. It’s time to clean up the mess. 

do you really think Hamas didn't know Israel would retaliate big time?

and what, do you think Bibi has been coddling Hamas?

drummerboy said:

and I'm no fan of Benjamin, but this is pretty scandalous. and decidedly unhelpful.

Given a tweet that shines a spotlight on a single comment, what did you find, if anything, when you looked for the rest of what the person said?

drummerboy said:

ICYMI.

nohero said:

Times of Israel:

For years, Netanyahu propped up Hamas. Now it’s blown up in our faces

"For years, the various governments led by Benjamin Netanyahu took an approach that divided power between the Gaza Strip and the West Bank — bringing Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas to his knees while making moves that propped up the Hamas terror group.

"The idea was to prevent Abbas — or anyone else in the Palestinian Authority’s West Bank government — from advancing toward the establishment of a Palestinian state.

"Thus, amid this bid to impair Abbas, Hamas was upgraded from a mere terror group to an organization with which Israel held indirect negotiations via Egypt, and one that was allowed to receive infusions of cash from abroad."

DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

ICYMI.

nohero said:

Times of Israel:

For years, Netanyahu propped up Hamas. Now it’s blown up in our faces

"For years, the various governments led by Benjamin Netanyahu took an approach that divided power between the Gaza Strip and the West Bank — bringing Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas to his knees while making moves that propped up the Hamas terror group.

"The idea was to prevent Abbas — or anyone else in the Palestinian Authority’s West Bank government — from advancing toward the establishment of a Palestinian state.

"Thus, amid this bid to impair Abbas, Hamas was upgraded from a mere terror group to an organization with which Israel held indirect negotiations via Egypt, and one that was allowed to receive infusions of cash from abroad."

I'm aware of this, and was considering adding it as a caveat to my comment.

propping up is not coddling.

DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

Given a tweet that shines a spotlight on a single comment, what did you find, if anything, when you looked for the rest of what the person said?

er what?

the entire memo was apparently not released.

drummerboy said:

er what?

Good question. Sorry, I quoted the wrong post. I meant to refer to the Herzog comment.

paulsurovell said:

Smedley said:

cramer said:

tjohn said:

How can peaceful co-existence be achieved in the region?  The current trajectory leads only to the peace of the grave.  Given the evolution of weaponry, that leads to almost everybody being dead or one side being utterly "victorious", I suppose, but no longer able to recognize the kind of people they have become.

- Destroy Hamas. 

-Have free elections in Gaza. 

-No more settlements in the West Bank. 

-Get rid of Netanyahu. 

-Get rid of Abbas. 

It's a start. 

the "no more settlements" ship sailed long ago. Look at any map of settlement expansion and you'll see why the current map can never be acceptable to Palestinians. And forget about the notion of removing settlements. If they try to remove even a remote unoccupied settlement outpost with a rusty trailer and a couple goats, settlers take up arms against the government and it's a big brouhaha.

The map can accommodate a Palestinian state if the settlements are opened up to Palestinians.

Come on, man. Pigs will fly before Jewish settlers open up West Bank settlements to Palestinians.  

Smedley said:

paulsurovell said:

Smedley said:

cramer said:

tjohn said:

How can peaceful co-existence be achieved in the region?  The current trajectory leads only to the peace of the grave.  Given the evolution of weaponry, that leads to almost everybody being dead or one side being utterly "victorious", I suppose, but no longer able to recognize the kind of people they have become.

- Destroy Hamas. 

-Get rid of Netanyahu. 

-Get rid of Abbas. 

It's a start. 

the "no more settlements" ship sailed long ago. Look at any map of settlement expansion and you'll see why the current map can never be acceptable to Palestinians. And forget about the notion of removing settlements. If they try to remove even a remote unoccupied settlement outpost with a rusty trailer and a couple goats, settlers take up arms against the government and it's a big brouhaha.

The map can accommodate a Palestinian state if the settlements are opened up to Palestinians.

Come on, man. Pigs will fly before Jewish settlers open up West Bank settlements to Palestinians.  

I almost wrote the same post, pigs and all.

Jaytee said:

A good part of the rest of the world may disapprove of the actions of Hamas (and a good deal of the world doesn't disapprove either all that strongly or at all) but also have a lot of sympathy for the plight of Palestinians.  Support for Israel peaked in, probably, 1967 and has been on the decline since then.  Support for Israel among younger Americans is a good deal lower than support for Israel among older Americans.  This is one of the problems that Israel faces.

What I am sure of is that this will happen again and again and again until Israelis and Palestinians find some way to live together in peace.

DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

Seems pretty clear to me

drummerboy said:

DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

er what?

Here's a little more detail on the memo:

Stunning State Department Memo Warns Diplomats: No Gaza 'De-Escalation' Talk

As Israel escalates its offensive, U.S. diplomats are being discouraged from publicly using three phrases that would urge calm.

By Akbar Shahid Ahmed Oct 13, 2023, 11:57 AM EDT| Updated 20 hours ag

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/state-department-internal-emails-gaza-israel_n_65296395e4b0a304ff6ff95d?ykm

As Israel escalates its attacks on Gaza, the State Department is discouraging diplomats working on Middle East issues from making public statements suggesting the U.S. wants to see less violence, according to internal emails viewed by HuffPost.

In messages circulated on Friday, State Department staff wrote that high-level officials do not want press materials to include three specific phrases: “de-escalation/ceasefire,” “end to violence/bloodshed” and “restoring calm.”

The revelation provides a stunning signal about the Biden administration’s reluctance to push for Israeli restraint as the close U.S. partner expands the offensive it launched after Hamas ― which rules Gaza ― attacked Israeli communities on Oct. 7.

The emails were sent hours after Israel told more than 1.1 million residents of northern Gaza that they should leave their homes and shelters ahead of an expected ground invasion of the region. On Thursday, the United Nations said Israel had given Gazans a 24-hour deadline to move to the south of the strip, and warned that it would be “impossible for such a movement to take place without devastating humanitarian consequences.”

Asked about Israel’s evacuation order on Friday, U.S. National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby declined to reject or endorse it, calling it “a tall order.”

“We’re going to be careful not to get into armchair quarterbacking the tactics on the ground by the [Israel Defense Forces],” Kirby said. “What I can tell you is we understand what they’re trying to do. They’re trying to move civilians out of harm’s way and giving them fair warning.”

When reached for comment on the directive, a State Department official said they would not comment on internal communications.

U.S. officials have said they expect Israel to abide by the laws of war in its operation against Hamas. But they have avoided discussion of a ceasefire, even as aid groups and some analysts have suggested that may be essential to allow civilians to flee Gaza and allow vital supplies to enter the area after Israel cut off electricity and water that the strip usually relies on. Earlier this week, Secretary of State Antony Blinken deleted and replaced a post on X, the former Twitter, in which he mentioned Turkey’s calls for a ceasefire.

Israel’s operation in Gaza has killed nearly 1,800 people so far, the Gazan Health Ministry said Friday, including 583 children and 351 women. U.S. officials believe there are 500 to 600 American citizens in the area. Israel has repeatedly bombed the exit point from Gaza that does not lead into its territory.

Last weekend’s Hamas-led attack, and Palestinian militants’ rocket fire since then, have killed a combined 1,300 Israelis, Israel said on Thursday.

U.S. President Joe Biden has repeatedly pledged to support Israel as it seeks to avenge the unprecedented Hamas assault. Yet as Israel’s biggest source of diplomatic and military support, the U.S. has significant leverage in the matter of how the country chooses to seek retribution ― and whether Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu tries to limit the civilian toll of his response.

Biden allies may nudge the president and his team to issue stronger calls for Netanyahu to prioritize humanitarian concerns. On Friday, Rep. Sara Jacobs ― a California Democrat who serves on the House foreign affairs and armed services committees ― urged Israel to reconsider its Gaza evacuation order.

“My family is still in Israel so I can only imagine the pain and anger the families of the hostages are feeling right now and understand the Israeli government’s urgency in holding Hamas responsible,” Jacobs said in a statement. “I also share the concerns of the U.N. ... Due to telecommunications and electricity outages, many civilians in Gaza cannot receive the evacuation notice, let alone evacuate quickly and safely. The short timeline of the evacuation notice does not provide the civilian population of over 1 million people enough time to evacuate, nor does it provide enough time for humanitarian organizations to ensure southern Gaza can receive an additional 1 million people.”

“Preserving our moral authority and protecting innocent lives is the right thing to do, and is also important for the long-term safety and security of Israel,” Jacobs continued.

55 Democratic members of the House of Representatives also signed a Friday letter asking Biden to “communicate that Israel’s response in Gaza must be carried out according to international law and take all due measures to limit harm to innocent civilians.”

U.S. officials often argue that private persuasion is more effective on partners like the Israelis than public pressure. They are particularly sensitive about being seen as insufficiently supportive of Israel given the country’s heavy losses and ongoing anxiety about the more than 100 Israelis kidnapped by Palestinian militants, as well as Republican efforts to depict Biden as failing a key American friend.

Blinken visited Israel on Thursday and is also visiting some of the most influential Arab states, including Egypt, Jordan and Qatar, which are historically central to Israeli-Palestinian negotiations.

On Friday, Blinken met with Mahmoud Abbas, the president of the Palestinian Authority, which controls parts of the occupied West Bank and contributes to governance in Gaza but has longstanding differences with Hamas.

Blinken “detailed U.S. efforts to coordinate with partners to prevent the conflict from widening,” State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller told reporters.

“The Secretary extended his condolences to the families of Palestinian civilian victims of this conflict, and reiterated that Hamas does not stand for the Palestinian people’s legitimate right to dignity, freedom, justice, and self-determination,” Miller said.

Not unlike this:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/biden-intervened-to-keep-israel-occupation-out-of-democratic-platform/

Biden intervened to keep Israel ‘occupation’ out of Democratic platform

Before presumptive presidential candidate stepped in, progressives had secured agreement to include word for the first time in party manifesto

By RON KAMPEAS7 August 2020, 11:32 pm 2

WASHINGTON (JTA) — Joe Biden personally intervened to keep the word “occupation” out of the official Democratic platform, according to a new report.

Foreign Policy reported Thursday that Biden intervened after pro-Israel groups appealed to him, citing three sources, including Jason Isaacson, the chief policy and political affairs officer at the American Jewish Committee.

“The question of whether to allow the text to refer to ‘occupation’ or use the phrase ‘end the occupation’ was taken to the vice president and he said ‘no,’” Isaacson told Foreign Policy.

Prior to Biden’s intervention, progressives in the party had secured agreement to include the word for the first time in the Democratic platform.

Ultimately, the section on Israel included more robust language defending the rights of the Palestinians to a state. It also condemned the boycott Israel movement.

The platform included a number of victories for progressives on domestic issues, including closing the wage gap and climate change. Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, whom Biden, the former vice president, defeated in the primaries, is working closely with Biden to shape party policies.

Yesterday in NY City:

paulsurovell said:

drummerboy said:

DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

er what?

As Israel escalates its offensive, U.S. diplomats are being discouraged from publicly using three phrases that would urge calm.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/state-department-internal-emails-gaza-israel_n_65296395e4b0a304ff6ff95d?ykm

As Israel escalates its attacks on Gaza, the State Department is discouraging diplomats working on Middle East issues from making public statements suggesting the U.S. wants to see less violence, according to internal emails viewed by HuffPost.

In messages circulated on Friday, State Department staff wrote that high-level officials do not want press materials to include three specific phrases: “de-escalation/ceasefire,” “end to violence/bloodshed” and “restoring calm.”

The revelation provides a stunning signal about the Biden administration’s reluctance to push for Israeli restraint as the close U.S. partner expands the offensive it launched after Hamas ― which rules Gaza ― attacked Israeli communities on Oct. 7.

The emails were sent hours after Israel told more than 1.1 million residents of northern Gaza that they should leave their homes and shelters ahead of an expected ground invasion of the region. On Thursday, the United Nations said Israel had given Gazans a 24-hour deadline to move to the south of the strip, and warned that it would be “impossible for such a movement to take place without devastating humanitarian consequences.”

Asked about Israel’s evacuation order on Friday, U.S. National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby declined to reject or endorse it, calling it “a tall order.”

“We’re going to be careful not to get into armchair quarterbacking the tactics on the ground by the [Israel Defense Forces],” Kirby said. “What I can tell you is we understand what they’re trying to do. They’re trying to move civilians out of harm’s way and giving them fair warning.”

When reached for comment on the directive, a State Department official said they would not comment on internal communications.

U.S. officials have said they expect Israel to abide by the laws of war in its operation against Hamas. But they have avoided discussion of a ceasefire, even as aid groups and some analysts have suggested that may be essential to allow civilians to flee Gaza and allow vital supplies to enter the area after Israel cut off electricity and water that the strip usually relies on. Earlier this week, Secretary of State Antony Blinken deleted and replaced a post on X, the former Twitter, in which he mentioned Turkey’s calls for a ceasefire.

Israel’s operation in Gaza has killed nearly 1,800 people so far, the Gazan Health Ministry said Friday, including 583 children and 351 women. U.S. officials believe there are 500 to 600 American citizens in the area. Israel has repeatedly bombed the exit point from Gaza that does not lead into its territory.

Last weekend’s Hamas-led attack, and Palestinian militants’ rocket fire since then, have killed a combined 1,300 Israelis, Israel said on Thursday.

U.S. President Joe Biden has repeatedly pledged to support Israel as it seeks to avenge the unprecedented Hamas assault. Yet as Israel’s biggest source of diplomatic and military support, the U.S. has significant leverage in the matter of how the country chooses to seek retribution ― and whether Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu tries to limit the civilian toll of his response.

Biden allies may nudge the president and his team to issue stronger calls for Netanyahu to prioritize humanitarian concerns. On Friday, Rep. Sara Jacobs ― a California Democrat who serves on the House foreign affairs and armed services committees ― urged Israel to reconsider its Gaza evacuation order.

“My family is still in Israel so I can only imagine the pain and anger the families of the hostages are feeling right now and understand the Israeli government’s urgency in holding Hamas responsible,” Jacobs said in a statement. “I also share the concerns of the U.N. ... Due to telecommunications and electricity outages, many civilians in Gaza cannot receive the evacuation notice, let alone evacuate quickly and safely. The short timeline of the evacuation notice does not provide the civilian population of over 1 million people enough time to evacuate, nor does it provide enough time for humanitarian organizations to ensure southern Gaza can receive an additional 1 million people.”

“Preserving our moral authority and protecting innocent lives is the right thing to do, and is also important for the long-term safety and security of Israel,” Jacobs continued.

55 Democratic members of the House of Representatives also signed a Friday letter asking Biden to “communicate that Israel’s response in Gaza must be carried out according to international law and take all due measures to limit harm to innocent civilians.”

U.S. officials often argue that private persuasion is more effective on partners like the Israelis than public pressure. They are particularly sensitive about being seen as insufficiently supportive of Israel given the country’s heavy losses and ongoing anxiety about the more than 100 Israelis kidnapped by Palestinian militants, as well as Republican efforts to depict Biden as failing a key American friend.

Blinken visited Israel on Thursday and is also visiting some of the most influential Arab states, including Egypt, Jordan and Qatar, which are historically central to Israeli-Palestinian negotiations.

On Friday, Blinken met with Mahmoud Abbas, the president of the Palestinian Authority, which controls parts of the occupied West Bank and contributes to governance in Gaza but has longstanding differences with Hamas.

Blinken “detailed U.S. efforts to coordinate with partners to prevent the conflict from widening,” State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller told reporters.

“The Secretary extended his condolences to the families of Palestinian civilian victims of this conflict, and reiterated that Hamas does not stand for the Palestinian people’s legitimate right to dignity, freedom, justice, and self-determination,” Miller said.

Click to Read More

Not unlike this:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/biden-intervened-to-keep-israel-occupation-out-of-democratic-platform/

Before presumptive presidential candidate stepped in, progressives had secured agreement to include word for the first time in party manifesto

WASHINGTON (JTA) — Joe Biden personally intervened to keep the word “occupation” out of the official Democratic platform, according to a new report.

Foreign Policy reported Thursday that Biden intervened after pro-Israel groups appealed to him, citing three sources, including Jason Isaacson, the chief policy and political affairs officer at the American Jewish Committee.

“The question of whether to allow the text to refer to ‘occupation’ or use the phrase ‘end the occupation’ was taken to the vice president and he said ‘no,’” Isaacson told Foreign Policy.

Prior to Biden’s intervention, progressives in the party had secured agreement to include the word for the first time in the Democratic platform.

Ultimately, the section on Israel included more robust language defending the rights of the Palestinians to a state. It also condemned the boycott Israel movement.

The platform included a number of victories for progressives on domestic issues, including closing the wage gap and climate change. Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, whom Biden, the former vice president, defeated in the primaries, is working closely with Biden to shape party policies.

Click to Read More

This is not the time for that, Paul. If you wonder what I mean by "that", please refer to responses to you the last time you posted about the Democratic platform.

[Edited to add] With luck, this will be the last time this language from the 2020 Democratic platform will have to be posted in response to that.

"Democrats recognize the worth of every Israeli and every Palestinian. That’s why we will work to help bring to an end a conflict that has brought so much pain to so many. We support a negotiated two-state solution that ensures Israel’s future as a Jewish and democratic state with recognized borders and upholds the right of Palestinians to live in freedom and security in a viable state of their own.

"Democrats oppose any unilateral steps by either side—including annexation—that undermine prospects for two states. Democrats will continue to stand against incitement and terror. We oppose settlement expansion."

RENEWING AMERICAN LEADERSHIP - Democrats

drummerboy said:

DaveSchmidt said:

Seems pretty clear to me

My question is answered. Thank you.

nohero said:

paulsurovell said:

drummerboy said:

DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

er what?

Click to Read More

Not unlike this:

Click to Read More

This is not the time for that, Paul. If you wonder what I mean by "that", please refer to responses to you the last time you posted about the Democratic platform.

[Edited to add] With luck, this will be the last time this language from the 2020 Democratic platform will have to be posted in response to that.

"Democrats recognize the worth of every Israeli and every Palestinian. That’s why we will work to help bring to an end a conflict that has brought so much pain to so many. We support a negotiated two-state solution that ensures Israel’s future as a Jewish and democratic state with recognized borders and upholds the right of Palestinians to live in freedom and security in a viable state of their own.

"Democrats oppose any unilateral steps by either side—including annexation—that undermine prospects for two states. Democrats will continue to stand against incitement and terror. We oppose settlement expansion."

you're quoting the platform?

really?

The more I read nohero the more I believe he’s auditioning for a WH comms position.

nohero said:

paulsurovell said:

drummerboy said:

DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

er what?

Click to Read More

Not unlike this:

Click to Read More

Sorry, but now is an appropriate time to show that Biden's censorship today of language challenging Israeli policy toward Palestinians has its antecedent in Biden's censorship of language challenging Israeli policy toward Palestinians in 2020.

And what you posted about the Dem platform was cited in the article I posted:

Thank god we've finally turned the discussion to domestic politics. I was afraid we'd be stuck wrestling with the awful realities and moral quandaries happening in Israel in the Palestinian territories.

paulsurovell said:

drummerboy said:

cramer said:

I don't know who Dennis Ross is, but anyone who thinks that they can militarily get rid of Hamas from within Gaza is delusional. So he's kinda getting off on the wrong foot with me.

Lindsay Graham knows how to do it (click the link to hear Lindsay's wisdom):

Lindsey is a spineless puppet.

Smedley said:

paulsurovell said:

Smedley said:

cramer said:

tjohn said:

- Destroy Hamas. 

-Get rid of Netanyahu. 

-Get rid of Abbas. 

It's a start. 

Many settlers would regard that as a better option than their forerunners were given in Gaza and the Sinai.

PVW said:

Thank god we've finally turned the discussion to domestic politics. I was afraid we'd be stuck wrestling with the awful realities and moral quandaries happening in Israel in the Palestinian territories.

For better or for worse, the U.S. has been the world's policeman for many decades, and the Middle East is arguably the region we've been most involved in. So high-mindedness aside, the reality is that our domestic politics is closely linked to the past, present and future of what's going on over there. 

PVW said:

US domestic politics are not central to what is happening between Israel and Gaza?

Smedley said:

The more I read nohero the more I believe he’s auditioning for a WH comms position.

I apologize for responding with facts, I did not know it would be a trigger.

drummerboy said:

nohero said:

paulsurovell said:

drummerboy said:

DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

er what?

Click to Read More

Not unlike this:

Click to Read More

you're quoting the platform?

really?

Just in response to someone's attempt to make the discussion about what he wants, instead of about the Hamas/Israel fighting right now.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.