Ohio is scaring me. Who scares you? NJ edition.

Sigh. Similar has been tried in so many places (including here, where the rationalisation was ‘duplication’ between the federal department and all the State departments). Usually lasts a year, two at most, unless federal/centralist national govt is wildly far right. 

nohero said:

mtierney said:

However, I am curious how Democrats will spin Menendez’s penchant for stuffing his jacket pockets and shoes with wads of cash, whilst also collecting bars of gold. A habit formed from  financial insecurity due to immigrant roots? Not buying it. I doubt any election signage message for voters could obfuscate the NJ senator’s disgrace. He needs to step down immediately.

Have you been reading the news about what Democrats are saying about Menendez?

Exactly. Numerous Democrats (including Cory Booker and Phil Murphy) have asked Menendez to resign immediately.

this whackaloon used to be a State Representative. (issue 1 is the pro-choice constitutional amendment on November's ballot)

Well, this is encouraging. Though I have no idea how good the poll is.

==================================================================

CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) -Baldwin Wallace University (BW) recently polled likely voters to see how peopleare leaning when it comes to Issue 1, a constitutional amendment to protect abortion, and Issue 2, to legalize recreational marijuana.

Related: Understanding Ohio Issue 1, the abortion and reproductive rights issue

According to the BW Community Research Institute, Issue 1 has strong support.

• Yes on Issue 1 58%
  • No on Issue 1 34%
  • Undecided 8%

Related: Understanding Issue 2, whether or not to legal recreational weed in Ohio

Issues 2, is passed, would legalize the production and sale of recreational marijuana to anyone over the age of 21.

It would also allow people to home grow weed.

According to the BW poll this issue also has strong support.

• Yes on Issue 2 57%
  • No on Issue 2 35%
  • Undecided 8%

drummerboy said:

Well, this is encouraging. Though I have no idea how good the poll is.

==================================================================

CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) -Baldwin Wallace University (BW) recently polled likely voters to see how peopleare leaning when it comes to Issue 1, a constitutional amendment to protect abortion, and Issue 2, to legalize recreational marijuana.

Related: Understanding Ohio Issue 1, the abortion and reproductive rights issue

According to the BW Community Research Institute, Issue 1 has strong support.

• Yes on Issue 1 58%
  • No on Issue 1 34%
  • Undecided 8%

Related: Understanding Issue 2, whether or not to legal recreational weed in Ohio

Issues 2, is passed, would legalize the production and sale of recreational marijuana to anyone over the age of 21.

It would also allow people to home grow weed.

According to the BW poll this issue also has strong support.

• Yes on Issue 2 57%
  • No on Issue 2 35%
  • Undecided 8%

This is a good example of the effects of gerrymandering. Assuming these polls are correct, the general population is far more moderate (or even liberal) than the state legislature.  The Ohio Senate has 27 Republicans and 7 Democrats while the House of Representatives has 67 and 32.

Yeah, the Dems here are trying to do something about the gerrymandering but no luck so far. I think they're trying to get something on the ballot about.that for 2024.

hooboy

Anecdotal information:
I was in an Ohio town recently and of the houses that did have signs, there were more saying vote no on issue 1 than vote yes.  However the number of houses that did have signs either way was relatively small, my guess is about 5%.

yahooyahoo said:

Anecdotal information:
I was in an Ohio town recently and of the houses that did have signs, there were more saying vote no on issue 1 than vote yes.  However the number of houses that did have signs either way was relatively small, my guess is about 5%.

yeah, it really depends on the area you're in. I've been driving around a lot lately (in northeast Ohio) and it's pretty obvious when you enter a blue area.

As an aside, the amount of disinformation coming out of the vote no side is pretty impressive.

DB, I know you’re aware of this part of the issues - and I sincerely apologise for writing so late at night, it’s the first chance I’ve had all day to read international news - the purging of Ohio voters registration rolls has made news all around Australia. 

For two reasons:

- the great numbers of people removed from the rolls, 

- how close to voting day this was done. 
I mean, here we’d be in early-voting mode already, and your authorities have apparently just finished (or maybe ‘almost finished’) tidying those lists. If we were actually voting for people rather than voting for constitutional changes, these late removals would totally illegal. 
How’s the mood there?? 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/nov/03/ohio-republican-election-secretary-of-state-voter-purge

Today's the day. I'm feeling optimistic that both the abortion and legal weed referendums will pass, but we shall see. Haven't seen much in the press about weed, but the abortion measure has been the subject of enormous amounts of misinformation from the anti-abortion side. Even governor DeWine has gotten involved in the blatant lying about it. Shameful.

Looks like the abortion referendum will pass, not so sure about the weed though. Ohio is still conservative, and they’re not ready for too much liberalism. Next time around maybe.

yeah, the weed issue was not very well publicized. The one poll I saw says it was winning. I've only seen a handful of signs, pretty much evenly split. Even if it passes, the enabling legislation laying out the rules and regs has to be passed by a legislature that's against it. Not sure how that's gonna work.

Everyone for it will be too stoned to remember to vote.

drummerboy said:

yeah, the weed issue was not very well publicized. The one poll I saw says it was winning. I've only seen a handful of signs, pretty much evenly split. Even if it passes, the enabling legislation laying out the rules and regs has to be passed by a legislature that's against it. Not sure how that's gonna work.

Weed wins.

yahooyahoo said:

Weed wins.

Both measures won by a decisive margin. 

Ohio probably voted for legal weed because they need something to help them cope with Jim Jordan and J.D. Vance.

And that awful pizza. Why Ohio Valley Pizza is Topped With Cold, Unmelted Cheese (thetakeout.com)

nohero said:

Ohio probably voted for legal weed because they need something to help them cope with Jim Jordan and J.D. Vance.

And that awful pizza. Why Ohio Valley Pizza is Topped With Cold, Unmelted Cheese (thetakeout.com)

I've not seen this pizza yet, let alone eaten it. It is not on my list of things to do.

drummerboy said:

and the Ohio Republicans are on the case!

After voters back abortion and pot, GOP leaders signal plans to undermine referendums

They hate it when the people's voices are heard.

They'll be as successful as Trump in overturning the 2020 election. 

can you believe these guys?

drummerboy said:

can you believe these guys?

Let me translate.

"We don't care what the people of Ohio want or approved."

yahooyahoo said:

Let me translate.

And yet Ohio keeps voting for them. I know some of that disconnect can be explained by gerrymandering, but not all.

PVW said:

yahooyahoo said:

Let me translate.

And yet Ohio keeps voting for them. I know some of that disconnect can be explained by gerrymandering, but not all.

yeah, I can't really reconcile Tuesday's results with other Ohio results. Puzzling.

drummerboy said:

PVW said:

yahooyahoo said:

Let me translate.

yeah, I can't really reconcile Tuesday's results with other Ohio results. Puzzling.

The Democratic Party has been demonized to such an extent that many, many people will NEVER vote for a member. Even if Republicans keep trying to take away the rights those voters just voted to keep.

I'm not sure this gets discussed as much as it should by the pundits who claim "Dems in disarray" and "Dems have a messaging problem."

Yes, it's a messaging problem, but the Democrats didn't create it. The GOP and right wing media did. And no amount of Democratic messaging is going to convince those voters that the party isn't hell bent on "destroying America."

drummerboy said:

PVW said:

yahooyahoo said:

Let me translate.

This is a good illustration of the difference between voting for a candidate and voting for a specific issue.

I could see someone thinking they'll never vote for a Democrat but wanting access to legal marijuana, or wanting the ability to control their own healthcare decisions.

The closer to democracy things get, the more Republicans freak out.

More from those wacky Ohio Repubs!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.