Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

drummerboy said:

mtierney said:

Gee whiz, Ridski, even this Luddite knows how to enlarge a story, with just two fingers!

you know, some of us use a PC and not a phone. and enlarging something that's already fuzzy just gives you big fuzzy. it's very hard to read.

I was on a mac, but yes: this exactly. I did enlarge it and it was too blurry to read.

nohero said:

ridski said:

Can you summarize that? My glasses aren't strong enough to read any of it.

It downplays medical treatment of things like depression or ADHD.

Does it cite any studies to back up its assertions?

ridski said:

nohero said:

ridski said:

Can you summarize that? My glasses aren't strong enough to read any of it.

It downplays medical treatment of things like depression or ADHD.

Does it cite any studies to back up its assertions?

No, but grumpy old people complaining that kids these days are soft and stupid has plenty of precedent.

Amazing story from CNS today…

Chiara Corbella’s beatification cause to take a step forward in June

facebook sharing button
twitter sharing button
Servant of God Chiara Corbella Petrillo Photo Courtesy of Christian Gennari wwwchiaracorbellapetrilloit CNA 7 18 18 2
Servant of God Chiara Corbella Petrillo. | Credit: Christian Gennari/chiaracorbellapetrillo.it
Courtney Mares

By Courtney Mares

Rome Newsroom, May 16, 2024 / 10:08 am

“Servant of God Chiara Corbella Petrillo, the joyful young mother who died of cancer in 2012, will be one step closer next month to being declared a saint.

“The Diocese of Rome announced Wednesday that it will hold the closing session of the diocesan phase of her cause for beatification on Friday, June 21, at noon in the Archbasilica of St. John Lateran.

“Since her death at the age of 28, Corbella has inspired many by her witness to faith and joy amid suffering and loss.

“Corbella met her husband, Enrico Petrillo, at the age of 18 while on a pilgrimage to Međugorje. They married six years later in Assisi on Sept. 21, 2008.

“Within the first two years of their marriage, Chiara and Enrico suffered the death of two children, both of whom died less than an hour after birth.

“Their first child, Maria Grazia Letizia, was diagnosed in utero with anencephaly, a serious birth defect in which a baby is born without parts of the brain or skull. Chiara chose to carry the baby to term and her daughter lived just long enough to be baptized in the hospital, dying within a half hour of her birth in June 2009.

“During her second pregnancy, ultrasounds revealed that her son had no legs or kidneys. Baby Davide Giovanni died in June 2010 after living for 38 minutes.

“The couple chose to share their testimony about the few minutes that they were able to spend with their children at pro-life events in Italy. They also underwent genetic testing that revealed no pathological risk to their future children.

“The Lord gave us two special children: Maria Grazia Letizia and Davide Giovanni, but he asked us to accompany them only until their birth. He gave us the opportunity to embrace them, have them baptized, and then entrust them into the hands of the Father, all with a peace and joy that we had never experienced before,” Chiara recounted.

“Corbella became pregnant for a third time with their son Francesco in 2010 and ultrasounds showed that he was in perfect health. The joyful news was short-lived as Chiara was diagnosed with cancer. Doctors removed a tumor on her tongue that turned out to be cancerous.

“Chiara rejected any form of treatment that posed a risk to her unborn son, prioritizing his life over her own. Her healthy baby boy was born on May 30, 2011.

“As the cancer metastasized, it became difficult for Chiara to speak and see clearly. A photo of her wearing an eye patch with a big smile was taken in April 2012, less than two weeks after she learned that her condition was terminal. She prepared for death by receiving the Blessed Sacrament daily.

“In a letter that Chiara wrote to their son Francesco, she recalled the line from the Gospel: “My yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

“Her husband, Enrico, has recounted how he asked Chiara about this not long before she died. He shared her response in a speech in St. Peter’s Square in 2016.

“I asked her: ‘Chiara, is this cross really sweet like the Lord says?’ She smiled at me, and with a frail voice replied: ‘Yes, Enrico. It is very sweet.’”

“Chiara died on June 13, 2012, at home in her wedding gown, surrounded by her family and friends, one year after her son was born.

“ cause for canonization was announced on June 13, 2017, the fifth anniversary of her death.

“Her parents were invited to tell her story at the 2023 World Youth Day in Lisbon, where they shared that Corbella’s son Francesco is 11 years old and inspired by his mother’s witness.

“With the closing of the diocesan investigation into Corbella’s life, virtues, and sanctity, the documented testimonies and other materials for her cause for beatification will be sealed and sent to the Vatican’s Dicastery for the Causes of Saints for further scrutiny.

“The next step in the process will be for the pope to recognize her as someone who lived a life of heroic virtue and declare her venerable.

“Corbella will need two miracles attributed to her intercession to be declared a saint.”

people talking about miracles as if they were a real thing.

we are a silly species.

mt, what do you think about this kind of catholicism?

============================================================

https://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2024/05/political-speech-and-employment

Kansas City Chiefs placekicker Harrison Butker has caused quite a little stir with a commencement speech he gave at Benedictine College, a small Catholic school in Kansas. Much of the attention has been focused on this passage:

For the ladies present today, congratulations on an amazing accomplishment. You should be proud of all that you have achieved to this point in your young lives. I want to speak directly to you briefly because I think it is you, the women, who have had the most diabolical lies told to you. How many of you are sitting here now about to cross this stage and are thinking about all the promotions and titles you are going to get in your career? Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world, but I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world.

I can tell you that my beautiful wife, Isabelle, would be the first to say that her life truly started when she began living her vocation as a wife and as a mother. I’m on the stage today and able to be the man I am because I have a wife who leans into her vocation. I’m beyond blessed with the many talents God has given me, but it cannot be overstated that all of my success is made possible because a girl I met in band class back in middle school would convert to the faith, become my wife, and embrace one of the most important titles of all: homemaker.

@db…Sounds like a beautiful love story with a happy ending. 

mtierney said:

Whatever path my daughters follow in life is fine with me.  What I don't really need to hear is a very well-paid man having no special qualifications beyond the ability to kick a ball preach to women about the path they should following in their lives.

drummerboy said:

not surprisingly he said that… after all, the parents chose this school to send their children to for a reason. I’m sure they’re applauding his speech. 

I miss George Carlin…

A clergyman will convince you that there's an invisible man who lives in the sky, who watches your every move... he has ten things he really doesn't want you to do or else he will send you to a place way down beyond the volcanoes, where you will burn and scream for ever and ever...but this invisible man actually loves you...

tjohn said:

mtierney said:

Whatever path my daughters follow in life is fine with me.  What I don't really need to hear is a very well-paid man having no special qualifications beyond the ability to kick a ball preach to women about the path they should following in their lives.

The ironic part is that this is Harrison Butker's mother -

"Winship medical physicist Elizabeth Keller Butker, MS, DABR has a special reason to watch the Super Bowl this year. Her son, Harrison Butker, a record-setting field goal kicker for the Kansas City Chiefs, will go head-to-head with the San Francisco 49ers in the sports event of the year, Super Bowl LIV, on February 2. ...

"Inspired by her father's career, Butker joined Winship in 1988 where she specializes in brachytherapy and Gamma Knife medical physics care."

https://news.emory.edu/stories/2020/01/winship_super_bowl_kicker_butker_family_ties/index.html

drummerboy said:

Kansas City Chiefs placekicker Harrison Butker has caused quite a little stir with a commencement speech he gave at Benedictine College, a small Catholic school in Kansas. Much of the attention has been focused on this passage:

For the ladies present today, congratulations on an amazing accomplishment. You should be proud of all that you have achieved to this point in your young lives. I want to speak directly to you briefly because I think it is you, the women, who have had the most diabolical lies told to you. How many of you are sitting here now about to cross this stage and are thinking about all the promotions and titles you are going to get in your career? Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world, but I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world.

I can tell you that my beautiful wife, Isabelle, would be the first to say that her life truly started when she began living her vocation as a wife and as a mother. I’m on the stage today and able to be the man I am because I have a wife who leans into her vocation. I’m beyond blessed with the many talents God has given me, but it cannot be overstated that all of my success is made possible because a girl I met in band class back in middle school would convert to the faith, become my wife, and embrace one of the most important titles of all: homemaker.

The nuns who founded that college smacked him down.

"The sisters of Mount St. Scholastica do not believe that Harrison Butker’s comments in his 2024 Benedictine College commencement address represent the Catholic, Benedictine, liberal arts college that our founders envisioned and in which we have been so invested.

"Instead of promoting unity in our church, our nation, and the world, his comments seem to have fostered division. One of our concerns was the assertion that being a homemaker is the highest calling for a woman. We sisters have dedicated our lives to God and God’s people, including the many women whom we have taught and influenced during the past 160 years. These women have made a tremendous difference in the world in their roles as wives and mothers and through their God-given gifts in leadership, scholarship, and their careers.

"Our community has taught young women and men not just how to be 'homemakers' in a limited sense, but rather how to make a Gospel-centered, compassionate home within themselves where they can welcome others as Christ, empowering them to be the best versions of themselves. We reject a narrow definition of what it means to be Catholic. We are faithful members of the Catholic Church who embrace and promote the values of the Gospel, St. Benedict, and Vatican II and the teachings of Pope Francis."

https://www.mountosb.org/home/

Jaytee said:

A clergyman will convince you that there's an invisible man who lives in the sky, who watches your every move... he has ten things he really doesn't want you to do or else he will send you to a place way down beyond the volcanoes, where you will burn and scream for ever and ever...but this invisible man actually loves you...

Yes, that is some people's viewpoint of what religion is.

nohero said:

drummerboy said:

"The sisters of Mount St. Scholastica do not believe that Harrison Butker’s comments in his 2024 Benedictine College commencement address represent the Catholic, Benedictine, liberal arts college that our founders envisioned and in which we have been so invested.

"Instead of promoting unity in our church, our nation, and the world, his comments seem to have fostered division. One of our concerns was the assertion that being a homemaker is the highest calling for a woman. We sisters have dedicated our lives to God and God’s people, including the many women whom we have taught and influenced during the past 160 years. These women have made a tremendous difference in the world in their roles as wives and mothers and through their God-given gifts in leadership, scholarship, and their careers.

"Our community has taught young women and men not just how to be 'homemakers' in a limited sense, but rather how to make a Gospel-centered, compassionate home within themselves where they can welcome others as Christ, empowering them to be the best versions of themselves. We reject a narrow definition of what it means to be Catholic. We are faithful members of the Catholic Church who embrace and promote the values of the Gospel, St. Benedict, and Vatican II and the teachings of Pope Francis."

Go, sisters!!  And go, both Mrs. Butkers!

On a slightly different angle, women, like men, need to have the skills and resources to manage on their own, should the need arise.  Not quite the same as being career-oriented in the way Butker described, but an important goal.

nohero said:

Jaytee said:

while christianity is obviously a lot more than what jaytee describes, he has accurately described its essence. everything else sort of derives from that.

nohero said:

drummerboy said:

Students speak out on Harrison Butker's 'uncomfortable' commencement address (yahoo.com)

I guess barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen doesn't play so well these days.  It's been a while actually since it played well.

nohero said:

Hashtag not all religions.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.