Twitter is a Private Company

The rudeness is astounding. I’m so glad I’ve never had an account.

joanne said:

same here. I don’t know why people still keep a Twitter account, unless of course it’s for “investigative” purposes…

Jaytee said:

joanne said:

same here. I don’t know why people still keep a Twitter account, unless of course it’s for “investigative” purposes…

The thing is, the Twitter isn't just Musk and the people he's a fan of. Just some examples - I follow (and converse with) authors in a variety of fields.  There are some other people who are just fun to have a back and forth with on current events. 

Have you seen any significant movement away from Twitter amongst those you follow?

Being somewhat of a dinosaur, I phone or use email  blank stare Newly retired, I’ve only a couple of forums of which I’m still in a member (apart from here), and yes they are fun. 
But I have to admit, even messaging interrupts my train of thought so I feel Twitter would be worse.

nohero said:

The thing is, the Twitter isn't just Musk and the people he's a fan of. Just some examples - I follow (and converse with) authors in a variety of fields.  There are some other people who are just fun to have a back and forth with on current events. 

Twit has lost traffic and major news orgs(1) over the last 3 mos and advertisers continue to spend less or just leave(2) as the site continues to allow dis/misinformation to flow(3).

PVW said:

Have you seen any significant movement away from Twitter amongst those you follow?

There's only one who I am certain has backed away from the Twitter, because he said he was doing it - he's a blogger who I've followed for years, and then we followed each other on the Twitter.  He's an exhaustive researcher and very good at "context-putting", but he couldn't take the increased ugliness and chaos.

I have found that people I follow aren't showing up as often in my "following" setting.  I'm more likely to see him in the setting called "for you", in which the Twitter will also show you people you don't follow.

I haven't done what has been suggested, to make a Twitter list of the people whose tweets you want to see, and read from there instead of the general feeds. 

I know several people who really valued twitter for discovery -- finding bloggers etc to follow. I can see how it would have that utility. I will note that this was seldom for political news, more around topics in whatever field or interests they had.

I think that makes sense as a) there's an inherent limiting factor to writing as an actual expert in a topic, which I think slows down the volume of material people can put out compared to political posts which require nothing beyond having an opinion (or even just a feeling; actual opinions seems setting the bar a bit high) and b) people posting about subjects they know deeply are generally writing in greater depth and length elsewhere, as you can't really fit full content in twitter, so it becomes a pointer to other material (again quite different from political "hot takes").

Personally, I just always found it quite overwhelming. I really hate the feeling of reading and trying to reply to something without context, which means reading all previous posts, which is unrealistic at twitter scale.

nohero said:

PVW said:

There's only one who I am certain has backed away from the Twitter, because he said he was doing it - he's a blogger who I've followed for years, and then we followed each other on the Twitter.  He's an exhaustive researcher and very good at "context-putting", but he couldn't take the increased ugliness and chaos.

I have found that people I follow aren't showing up as often in my "following" setting.  I'm more likely to see him in the setting called "for you", in which the Twitter will also show you people you don't follow.

I haven't done what has been suggested, to make a Twitter list of the people whose tweets you want to see, and read from there instead of the general feeds. 

The short answer to your question is "No".

PVW said:

I know several people who really valued twitter for discovery -- finding bloggers etc to follow. I can see how it would have that utility. I will note that this was seldom for political news, more around topics in whatever field or interests they had.

I think that makes sense as a) there's an inherent limiting factor to writing as an actual expert in a topic, which I think slows down the volume of material people can put out compared to political posts which require nothing beyond having an opinion (or even just a feeling; actual opinions seems setting the bar a bit high) and b) people posting about subjects they know deeply are generally writing in greater depth and length elsewhere, as you can't really fit full content in twitter, so it becomes a pointer to other material (again quite different from political "hot takes").

Personally, I just always found it quite overwhelming. I really hate the feeling of reading and trying to reply to something without context, which means reading all previous posts, which is unrealistic at twitter scale.

This is an uninformed opinion that is without merit.

Thanks Paul, I wasn't asking you.

Why is the leader of France meeting with the leader of the Hellscape?

PVW said:

Thanks Paul, I wasn't asking you.

You're welcome.

paulsurovell said:

nohero said:

PVW said:

The short answer to your question is "No".

The short response to you is, “No”.

paulsurovell said:

The French could never resist a splash of Musk.

paulsurovell said:

This is an uninformed opinion that is without merit.

which could also describe roughly 90% of tweets. 

paulsurovell said:

I don't know. Maybe because the hellscape is a different business from the EV company 

Just a thought. 

paulsurovell said:

Why would the President of any country want to meet with Musk? 

Definite conflict of interest. Lucky for him China blocks it or he'd have trouble boasting about "fr** sp**ch".

Meanwhile, who did Nazi something like this coming?

nohero said:

Meanwhile, who did Nazi something like this coming?

Also, Muck Fusk. 

Elon Musk says George Soros hates humanity — while, unrelatedly, a filing shows the financier sold his Tesla stake

A little snark in that MarketWatch headline.

Nearly every conspiracy theory eventually collapses into anti-semitism.

Majority of U.S. Twitter users say they’ve taken a break from the platform in the past year (Pew)

A majority of Americans who have used Twitter in the past year report taking a break from the platform during that time, and a quarter say they are not likely to use it a year from now, according to a Pew Research Center survey conducted about five months after billionaire Elon Musk acquired the site.

Six-in-ten Americans who have used Twitter in the past 12 months say they have taken a break from the platform for a period of several weeks or more during that span, while roughly four-in-ten (39%) say they have not done this, according to the survey of U.S. adults, conducted March 13-19, 2023.

Some groups are more likely than others to say they have taken a break from the platform, with especially pronounced differences by gender, race and ethnicity. Among current and recent Twitter users, women are more likely than men to say they have taken a break from the platform in the past year (69% vs. 54%). And Black users (67%) are more likely than their White (60%) or Hispanic (54%) counterparts to say the same. (There were not enough Asian American Twitter users to allow for a separate analysis.)

The future of Twitter -- smaller, whiter, and more male.

"Of all the rights claimed by a free people, perhaps none is more important than the right to speak freely and without fear, safe against capricious political retaliation or reprisal. The Founding Fathers considered freedom of speech so crucial to the experiment of self-government that they protected it in the very first amendment.

"As a free speech absolutist, only death could stop me from defending the rights of Twitter users to speak without censorship. Well, either death or a request from an autocratic leader asking that I censor certain content that could be sensitive for their regime. Whichever comes first."

From - "I WILL DEFEND FREE SPEECH TO THE DEATH. OR UNTIL AN AUTOCRAT ASKS ME TO STOP (McSweeney's)"

The author claims that death is a free speech absolutist. I have to agree.

dave said:

Good roundup on the quiet disappearance of news about "The Twitter Files":

https://www.techdirt.com/2023/01/13/the-anti-twitter-files-january-6th-committee-report-shows-how-twitter-leaned-over-backwards-to-protect-trump-conservatives/

Taibbi has been shadow-banned by Elon "Free Speech" Musk.

https://nypost.com/2023/04/11/twitter-files-journalist-matt-taibbi-shadow-banned-by-elon-musk/

Matt Taibbi, the former Rolling Stone journalist who was given access to the Twitter Files by Elon Musk, reportedly had his official Twitter account “shadow banned” by the mogul after he refused to permanently decamp from his lucrative Substack subscription newsletter site.

Taibbi’s Twitter account was “max deboosted” — which means that Twitter placed visibility filters so that users who searched for the journalist’s account would not find it, according to Mashable reporter Matt Binder.

PVW said:

And there are accusations of anti-semitism that don't pass muster.

Soros has done more good for this world than  Musk could ever hope to do.

paulsurovell said:

PVW said:

And there are accusations of anti-semitism that don't pass muster.

The Israeli minister says that Soros "finances the most hostile organizations to the Jewish people and the state of Israel". What are those organizations he is referring to, and where has Elon Musk criticized Soros for funding them? I think we need to know that to understand if the defense of Elon Musk is relevant to what Musk's focus for, and manner of, criticizing Soros actually is.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.