What does Putin want (and whatabout it)

nohero said:

nan said:

Obviously Putin is not a CIA plant.  That was the problem.  That's why they wanted Nalvalney.  He was a CIA plant. 

If Navalny is working for the CIA, you have to admire his commitment to the bit.

Navalny is not working for anyone now, but they replace him with his wife.  She's working for the CIA. 

DaveSchmidt said:

nan said:

Putin's not the only one who should have thought about some other things before getting involved in this war.

So: Here we have Putin “getting involved” in this war.

Yeah, duh, obviously. 

PVW said:

nan said:

For example, he's a major voice for those that like to deny that Ukraine has a Nazi problem:

https://www.nybooks.com/online/2014/03/01/ukraine-haze-propaganda/

I didn't realize you were a New York Review of Books subscriber -- I assume you must be, to have read the article? Do they have an option for a guest link and, if so, would you mind sharing so all of us can read the article as well?

You have to first watch a Jimmy Dore video!!!!!!   

Only kidding.  Here is a pdf. 

Ukraine_ The Haze of Propaganda _ Timothy Snyder _ The New York Review of Books.pdf

drummerboy said:

nohero said:

nan said:

nohero said:

I cannot think of any respectable commentator who has nothing but respect for the views and work of Professor Timothy Snyder, author of "On Tyranny".

[Edited to add] 

Respectable here = mainstream propaganda.    I can think of many respectable commentators--the kind of people who practice real journalism that speaks truth to power -- who don't look up to this guy.  I would love to see him in an interview with those people but that never happens.  And then there are the "elite" Yale students in the video that never question anything he says.  Was that a pre-selected class or do they normally just nod their heads and agree all the time. Yale students are protesting about Israel now, so they can't all be that passive.  And he says some really controversial stuff that should be obvious to anyone with a basic knowledge of the conflict.

For example, he's a major voice for those that like to deny that Ukraine has a Nazi problem:

https://www.nybooks.com/online/2014/03/01/ukraine-haze-propaganda/

When Professor Snyder was once again brought up on this thread, I didn't realize that it was "Hate On Timothy Snyder Week" in anti-Ukraine circles. Professor Snyder was a witness in a congressional hearing on China's authoritarianism, and Majorie Taylor Greene went after him over Ukraine.

There are videos from numerous sources, but here's a quick thread from the Twitter with a summary and a clip - worth clicking and reading the couple of tweets in the thread. 

oh look!

nan and MTG arguing the same point of view.

what a surprise.

not.

The video only showed Snyder's reply, not what MTG said so I don't know where you got that idea.  However, in the past, I have heard and agreed with things MTG said about the Ukraine war.  On that topic she can be good.  The rest . . . ewwww.

nan said:

Right on cue!  We have Timothy Snyder doing what was quoted in the article I posted:

". . . Last May, Azov supporters held a torchlit rally in Lviv, in honor of General Roman Shukhevych, the late commander of the UPA insurgent militia that helped massacre thousands of Jews in Lviv. (Ironically, the massacre has been documented in detail by Timothy Snyder, the historian-turned-apologist for Ukraine’s government)."

He's citing that 3% figure, which has been discussed in this thread before.  They have 3% but their influence is much bigger because they are well organized thugs and have no problem resorting to violence.  Snyder also mischaracterizes Russia.  He really is a propaganda puppet, and MTG is an easy mark.  Wish she had asked him why Ukraine has so many monuments to Nazi figures and why Congress wanted to ban funding to Ukraine over the Nazi issue.  

This is great - I guess you in total agreement with Putin that this is the worst Nazi scourge since WWII - so again - please please please tell us.  Where are the nazis - who is their current leader and what percentage has been denazified - how many are left - how does one identify one?  These are very basic questions that will help to assess one of Russia's prime objectives.  And should the US assist in eradicating the remaining nazis?

IT SHOULDN'T BE THIS DIFFICULT TO ANSWER WHILE YOUNG RUSSIANS ARE BEING SENT TO THE FRONT LINE!!

I'm also clueless why you never see any issues with Russian deaths - you only seem concerned about Ukrainians defending their land to avoid being ruled by a guy who will remain in power until 2036 and is currently committing genocide on their country.  Or if you don't want to call it genocide he is certainly decimating their land and claiming it already part of his motherland and we're all brothers and sisters.  No problem with Russians forced to fight.  And no press- and no protests - and you can't even call it a war.

What you are passionate about defending truly is bizarre.

Michael Tracy had a lot to say today about the voting to waste more taxpayer dollars on war. this is a small sample.

nan said:

Michael Tracy had a lot to say today about the voting to waste more taxpayer dollars on war. this is a small sample.

talk about kindness and respect…

nan said:

Navalny is not working for anyone now, but they replace him with his wife.  She's working for the CIA. 

Do you actually believe this?

nan said:

You should begin more of your posts with the words "Michael Tracy"  (or, you know, Tracey)

Makes them much easier to ignore.

nan said:

Here is a pdf. 

Thanks

jamie said:

nan said:

Right on cue!  We have Timothy Snyder doing what was quoted in the article I posted:

". . . Last May, Azov supporters held a torchlit rally in Lviv, in honor of General Roman Shukhevych, the late commander of the UPA insurgent militia that helped massacre thousands of Jews in Lviv. (Ironically, the massacre has been documented in detail by Timothy Snyder, the historian-turned-apologist for Ukraine’s government)."

He's citing that 3% figure, which has been discussed in this thread before.  They have 3% but their influence is much bigger because they are well organized thugs and have no problem resorting to violence.  Snyder also mischaracterizes Russia.  He really is a propaganda puppet, and MTG is an easy mark.  Wish she had asked him why Ukraine has so many monuments to Nazi figures and why Congress wanted to ban funding to Ukraine over the Nazi issue.  

This is great - I guess you in total agreement with Putin that this is the worst Nazi scourge since WWII - so again - please please please tell us.  Where are the nazis - who is their current leader and what percentage has been denazified - how many are left - how does one identify one?  These are very basic questions that will help to assess one of Russia's prime objectives.  And should the US assist in eradicating the remaining nazis?

IT SHOULDN'T BE THIS DIFFICULT TO ANSWER WHILE YOUNG RUSSIANS ARE BEING SENT TO THE FRONT LINE!!

I'm also clueless why you never see any issues with Russian deaths - you only seem concerned about Ukrainians defending their land to avoid being ruled by a guy who will remain in power until 2036 and is currently committing genocide on their country.  Or if you don't want to call it genocide he is certainly decimating their land and claiming it already part of his motherland and we're all brothers and sisters.  No problem with Russians forced to fight.  And no press- and no protests - and you can't even call it a war.

What you are passionate about defending truly is bizarre.

So, you are fine with this lost war dragging on (because we can't have a failed war during an election) and lots more, even younger (they lowered the draft age) Ukrainians being sent to their deaths?  Ukraine can't win, so they are dying for nothing.  But, I'm the one who is bizarre because I want peace negotiations. 

Jaytee said:

nan said:

talk about kindness and respect…

kindness and respect for the young men who are being sent to their deaths just so Joe Biden has a better chance to win the election.  

drummerboy said:

nan said:

You should begin more of your posts with the words "Michael Tracy"  (or, you know, Tracey)

Makes them much easier to ignore.

I don't always agree with Michael Tracey but he is 100% right about this vote today.  It all passed, by the way.  More money down the drain and more chance of WWIII.  We are ruled by neocon psychos.  

nan said:

So, you are fine with this lost war dragging on (because we can't have a failed war during an election) and lots more, even younger (they lowered the draft age) Ukrainians being sent to their deaths?  Ukraine can't win, so they are dying for nothing.  But, I'm the one who is bizarre because I want peace negotiations. 

Russian are also dying for nothing - why can't you ever see this side which is much more senseless.  At least Ukrainians are fighting for their freedom - and wish not to be ruled by a guy who is decimating their sovereign land illegally.  Can you ever say it's wrong to send Russian men to the front line?  What would you tell a Russian soldier his reason for putting his life on the line right now?  They are looking for Nazis.  The Vlad media portrays every Ukrainian citizen who doesn't want to be ruled by Russia as a nazi. 

I love that you think they are "dying for nothing".  What absolute propaganda that is.  I know you think it would be a dreamland for them to live under Putin - but it's not up to you to tell them what's best.  I guess you mantra is cede whatever to the bully - or he'll beat us up more.

What if we were overwhelmed by a foreign force and bulldozed us to the ground?  Would you sit by and say - great job - who is my new leader?  

jamie said:

This is great - I guess you in total agreement with Putin that this is the worst Nazi scourge since WWII - so again - please please please tell us.  Where are the nazis - who is their current leader and what percentage has been denazified - how many are left - how does one identify one?  These are very basic questions that will help to assess one of Russia's prime objectives. 

Jamie, "denazification" is so 2022. The real Russian effort is now to "desatanize" Ukraine.

"Previously, the Russian Federation tried to disguise its direct military intervention in
the Donbas region from the international community. However, since February 24,
2022, President Vladimir Putin’s desire to completely conquer Ukraine and destroy
Ukrainian statehood, identity, culture, history, language, and religious pluralism are
out in the open. Hiding behind slogans of protecting Russian speakers, 'denazification,' and 'desatanization' of Ukraine, the Kremlin has actually been implementing the ideology of the “Russkiy Mir” (Russian World). As interpreted by Russian propagandists, this ideology comprises the physical destruction of the Ukrainian people
as a nation (genocide), the elimination of Ukrainian cultural heritage, the overthrow
of the Ukrainian government, and the disappearance of the Ukrainian state."

Institute for Religious Freedom 2024 Report: "The impact of the Russian invasion on faith-based communities in Ukraine"

jamie said:

nan said:

Russian are also dying for nothing - why can't you ever see this side which is much more senseless.  At least Ukrainians are fighting for their freedom - and wish not to be ruled by a guy who is decimating their sovereign land illegally.  Can you ever say it's wrong to send Russian men to the front line?  What would you tell a Russian soldier his reason for putting his life on the line right now?  They are looking for Nazis.  The Vlad media portrays every Ukrainian citizen who doesn't want to be ruled by Russia as a nazi. 

I love that you think they are "dying for nothing".  What absolute propaganda that is.  I know you think it would be a dreamland for them to live under Putin - but it's not up to you to tell them what's best.  I guess you mantra is cede whatever to the bully - or he'll beat us up more.

What if we were overwhelmed by a foreign force and bulldozed us to the ground?  Would you sit by and say - great job - who is my new leader?  

The Russians are fighting an existential threat.  You don't think it is but you don't get to decide. 

Putin has only taken land where the Russian speaking people live. The people in the Donbas are glad to live in Russia.  They asked to be part of Russia after he took Crimea.  He said "No" by the way.  But, after two failed Minsk agreements, here we are.  What's going to happen to Ukraine after the war?  I doubt it's going to be a freedom loving Democracy.  It's not that now for sure.  The people that ended up being part of Russia most likely got the better deal.  Russia is doing well. Ukraine's future does not look so great.

How are the Ukrainians not dying for nothing since the war is lost?  Do you seriously think they can still win? Are you hoping for WWIII?

nan said:

The Russians are fighting an existential threat.  You don't think it is but you don't get to decide. 

Putin has only taken land where the Russian speaking people live. The people in the Donbas are glad to live in Russia.  They asked to be part of Russia after he took Crimea.  He said "No" by the way.  But, after two failed Minsk agreements, here we are.  What's going to happen to Ukraine after the war?  I doubt it's going to be a freedom loving Democracy.  It's not that now for sure.  The people that ended up being part of Russia most likely got the better deal.  Russia is doing well. Ukraine's future does not look so great.

Literally incorrect about Russian-speaking Ukrainians.

From way back in this thread -
https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/forums/discussion/what-does-putin-want-and-whatbout-it?page=next&limit=9870#discussion-replies-3605461

nan said:

sure we get to decide.

or are we supposed to believe every half-assed claim of an existential threat, regardless of how bereft of evidence it is?

nan said:

What was this existential threat?  Which nations or group of nations was preparing an invasion of Russia?  The same nations who can't keep Ukraine sufficiently supplied with weapons and ammunition?  Doesn't sound like NATO was prepared for war at all.

Nan, you keep saying Russia was/is facing an existential threat. You've yet to back this up with any convincing evidence or arguments. You haven't been able to point to any direct attacks on Russia. All you really have is speculation about possible future threats Ukraine might pose if it were part of NATO, ignoring the fact that Ukraine, even now, would be years from joining NATO, if that ever happens.

You've also ignored the fact that in the NATO countries that were formerly in the USSR or Warsaw Pact, troop and equipment levels had been kept low.

You've raised the possibility of Ukraine re-acquiring nuclear weapons capability, ignoring how difficult and unlikely that would be.

In short, your "existential threat" comes down to "Ukraine might, at some point in the future, present a military threat to Russia even though it does not today and is not likely to for many years."

That's a position that would justify American activities you claim to oppose -- from the Vietnam War to Iraq to a hypothetical war against Iran.

"Existential threat", the way Nan waves it around, is carte blanche for big countries to do whatever they wish.

Actually, Nan lost me when she asserted that Navalny and his wife are CIA plants.  Nan resides in an alternate reality that I cannot comprehend.

nohero said:

nan said:

https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/forums/discussion/what-does-putin-want-and-whatbout-it?page=next&limit=9870#discussion-replies-3605461

Ha!  You quote yourself.  

tjohn said:

Actually, Nan lost me when she asserted that Navalny and his wife are CIA plants.  Nan resides in an alternate reality that I cannot comprehend.

nan has intercepted communications from the CIA that reveal this to be so. Right nan?  I mean she wouldn't simply assert something with no proof. 

nan said:

Putin has only taken land where the Russian speaking people live.

nohero said:

nan said:

nohero said:

nan said:

Ha!  You quote yourself.  

As an alternative to retyping the same refutation of the same bullsh*t that the Ukraine-haters have been posting for years.

“Ha” back atcha.

tjohn said:

nan said:

What was this existential threat?  Which nations or group of nations was preparing an invasion of Russia?  The same nations who can't keep Ukraine sufficiently supplied with weapons and ammunition?  Doesn't sound like NATO was prepared for war at all.

Correct, but that's not how they saw it back in 2014-2022.  This is why I tell you to stop listening to neocons.  Back then they (and the MOL neocon fan club) were saying the Russians were idiots who could not shoot straight and they had to use washing machine parts for their weapons.  They thought the first sanctions packages was going to leave the Russian economy "in tatters."  In fact, Ursula VanDer Leden (EU) kept saying the Russian economy was in tatters.  There are so many examples and I think some of them came from tjohn so it's ironic that he's now re-writing history to say that the West/NATO are such wimps that it's preposterous for the Russians to claim an existential threat.  

nohero said:

jamie said:

This is great - I guess you in total agreement with Putin that this is the worst Nazi scourge since WWII - so again - please please please tell us.  Where are the nazis - who is their current leader and what percentage has been denazified - how many are left - how does one identify one?  These are very basic questions that will help to assess one of Russia's prime objectives. 

Jamie, "denazification" is so 2022. The real Russian effort is now to "desatanize" Ukraine.

"Previously, the Russian Federation tried to disguise its direct military intervention in
the Donbas region from the international community. However, since February 24,
2022, President Vladimir Putin’s desire to completely conquer Ukraine and destroy
Ukrainian statehood, identity, culture, history, language, and religious pluralism are
out in the open. Hiding behind slogans of protecting Russian speakers, 'denazification,' and 'desatanization' of Ukraine, the Kremlin has actually been implementing the ideology of the “Russkiy Mir” (Russian World). As interpreted by Russian propagandists, this ideology comprises the physical destruction of the Ukrainian people
as a nation (genocide), the elimination of Ukrainian cultural heritage, the overthrow
of the Ukrainian government, and the disappearance of the Ukrainian state."

Institute for Religious Freedom 2024 Report: "The impact of the Russian invasion on faith-based communities in Ukraine"

And who funds this group?  Did they have anything to say when the Ukrainians went after the Russian Orthadox church?  Is there a report on that?

Nan,

If Ukraine ends up pushing Russia out, will you say it is illegally occupying Russian land and that NATO is a imperialist organization? Because I don't think you would.

nohero said:

nohero said:

nan said:

nohero said:

nan said:

Ha!  You quote yourself.  

Click to Read More

nan said:

nohero said:

nan said:

Ha!  You quote yourself.  

As an alternative to retyping the same refutation of the same bullsh*t that the Ukraine-haters have been posting for years.

“Ha” back atcha.

I'm noticing a lot of nostalgic posts lately that want to go back and rehash what we talked about a few years ago.  It really does not matter right now how many Nazis have been killed or if the areas that Putin gained are 100% Russian speaking. Or if Navalny was a CIA agent.  Or why Timothy Snyder squanders his reputation for work as a propaganda stooge.  

For some of you those evidently were the good old days when you thought Ukraine was going to win and Putin would be sent packing.  But here we are and things are looking quite different than you all swore they would be.  As the despised J.D. Vance said a few days ago: the math on Ukraine does not add up. The people you said were "crazy conspiracy theorists" were actually way more often on the money than the rest of you. 

So, maybe it's time to reckon with reality and realize that the people who lied to you about war in the past are still lying to you now and will continue to lie to you about war in the future. And they are still trying to kill Julian Assange, a journalist who told the truth about war, too.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.