Sure, why not? Let's discuss what makes something funny

ml1 said:

and for the people who thought the Mullaney clip wasn't funny, maybe they'll like this one.  I think it's sharper than the other one.

OK. Funny, but I didn't laugh out loud or fall down. 

Mutters aside to self: ‘another of those exchanges that mtierney seems not to read, because it’s not on her thread’

Just want to thank you all for demonstrating vigorous defence of your views, no matter how circular the debate appears to be. This isn’t written sarcastically or ironically, it is genuine thanks - you’re demonstrating beautifully my point (made weakly elsewhere). 

Speaking of old comic geniuses, the Three Stooges were hysterically funny at one time, but now we generally don’t see poking someone in the eye and slapping them while you’re talking with them and calling them your friend is ‘funny’. 
We also don’t find that era’s workplace hazing acceptable anymore, and rightly call it bullying and harassment. 

ridski said:

Why is everyone obsessed with forcing us to read the same things over and over again?

It's an age thing. Short-term memory loss.

joanne said:

Mutters aside to self: ‘another of those exchanges that mtierney seems not to read, because it’s not on her thread’

Just want to thank you all for demonstrating vigorous defence of your views, no matter how circular the debate appears to be. This isn’t written sarcastically or ironically, it is genuine thanks - you’re demonstrating beautifully my point (made weakly elsewhere). 

Speaking of old comic geniuses, the Three Stooges were hysterically funny at one time, but now we generally don’t see poking someone in the eye and slapping them while you’re talking with them and calling them your friend is ‘funny’. 
We also don’t find that era’s workplace hazing acceptable anymore, and rightly call it bullying and harassment. 

I recently listened to a CD of Myron Cohen. I laughed out loud. Some of it dated and most of it timeless, but maybe you have to be of a certain generation and background so you might like it. I'll try to find something similar to link.

I’m not saying all older humour is irrelevant. Nor is all older physical humour irrelevant. But some that demeans another is no longer acceptable, and should called out for what it is. 

And yes, it’s ok for generations to view things differently but we have to accept that that’s what’s behind the sighs of passive intolerance, when the youngsters just don’t want to talk about ‘why’ anymore and move on, already. 
adding the smile, because we’re friends cheese

STANV said:

OK. Funny, but I didn't laugh out loud or fall down. 

but did you laugh at the Dog Head Guy in the Sam Rockwell video?

ml1 said:

but did you laugh at the Dog Head Guy in the Sam Rockwell video?

Yes.

Norbet Leo Butts was at SOMA Film Festival at Woodland a couple of weeks ago and told something interesting about Rockwell. When shooting a film he does not leave the set during a beak. Everyone else may go to a trailer or someplace else but Sam Rockwell stays on set, presumably to not break his concentration. 

STANV said:

Yes.

Norbet Leo Butts was at SOMA Film Festival at Woodland a couple of weeks ago and told something interesting about Rockwell. When shooting a film he does not leave the set during a beak. Everyone else may go to a trailer or someplace else but Sam Rockwell stays on set, presumably to not break his concentration. 

that's what I loved about him on SNL.  He was 100% committed to every character he played.  Some actors go on SNL and put some ironic distance between themselves and the characters but Rockwell was all in on that sketch.  Just like Tom Hanks as David S. Pumpkins.  The skit is so stupid, but Hanks completely sells out and commits to it.  It's pretty funny when an Oscar winner gives this much effort to a sketch so dumb.

For people who think I'm being a pedant about what's funny or not, take a look a this.  Sid Caesar's writers discussing what makes for a funny number.  And of course, they are correct.  Some numbers are not funny.  Some are.

So, is ‘silly’ the same as ‘funny’?

I’m not quoting, because for me the question could apply equally to several SNL skits, and other clips. 

joanne said:

So, is ‘silly’ the same as ‘funny’?

I’m not quoting, because for me the question could apply equally to several SNL skits, and other clips. 

In the Venn diagram, there's lots of overlap.  

I've been watching I dream of Jeanie season one on Roku.  It's funny and ridiculous.

lord_pabulum said:

"A sense of humor keen enough to show a man his own absurdities will keep him from the commission of all sins, or nearly all, save those worth committing." Samuel Butler

and there are only a few things more absurd than a politician thinking they're funny.

Are snowflakes ready for humor?

mtierney said:

Sure.  Try posting some.

nohero said:

mtierney said:

Sure.  Try posting some.

And it wasn't that humorous considering the stereotyping of certain groups. Such gays having hissy fits.

You can tell this was written by a Canadian, because he didn't get his rifle and murder all his neighbors.

That was mildly amusing. That's the good news. The bad news is that this may be a sign that mtierney's unique brand of spouting MAGA crap while never directly responding to criticism of such crap, may be spreading beyond the WH/Rose Garden thread.    question

ridski said:

You can tell this was written by a Canadian, because he didn't get his rifle and murder all his neighbors.

Also because he was able to complete a snow person — a zaftig one, no less — in five minutes.

mtierney said:

generally it's not a great idea to begin your (allegedly) humorous anecdote by insulting the audience.  

actually the funniest part of that joke is the "Intended for a chuckle and not to offend anyone" disclaimer.

Nothing proves a sense of humor more than the dogged pursuit of accurate quotations, no matter how minor the discrepancies. Here, word for word, is what Samuel Butler actually wrote:

“A sense of humour keen enough to show a man his own absurdities, as well as those of other people, will keep him from the commission of all sins, or nearly all, save those that are worth committing."

“Snowballs.” Now I get it.

ml1 said:

generally it's not a great idea to begin your (allegedly) humorous anecdote by insulting the audience.  

My question answered!

mtierney said:

The Onion?

Yes, it's the satirical website that some Republicans think is a real news outlet.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.