Sure, why not? Let's discuss what makes something funny

Before we got all woked up, humor (not hatred) celebrated our differences. 

mtierney said:

Before we got all woked up, humor (not hatred) celebrated our differences. 

back when you could make fun of the gays for throwing hissy fits.  Good times!

to be serious, it's an important point to consider -- things that used to be broadly funny to a lot of people, but aren't any more.  Amos & Andy were quite a hoot at one time.  People laughed at the black crows in Dumbo.  There's a brief minstrel-type musical bit in "Duck Soup."  Some people long for the day when you could tell any joke you wanted and nobody could express offense.  Standup comic Jeff Garlin, who is nobody's idea of a "snowflake" has his own thoughts about comedy and "political correctness":

Comedian Jeff Garlin isn't afraid of political correctness

Because I'm going to tell you a few things. No. 1, I have no fear of saying something racist or really ignorant. That's not going to come out of me. It's not. It's not. If it did, it would be as a character, which would be clear that it was a character. Speaking as myself, as a stand-up, no chance. This whole climate thing, do you know what it is? Here's the climate. We should do what we always should be doing, which is respect other people, their sexuality, their race, whatever it is. Show them respect. When hasn't that been true in terms of proper behavior? It's always been true. Now, people are being called out, what have you. It has not changed comedy. It's not changed my comedy, it's not changed anyone I know, who's funny, it's not changed their comedy.

This is a professional, "edgy" standup comic saying that it's important to show people respect, which is just basic manners.  Just insulting people isn't funny.

Nobody is worried, who's funny, before they go up. Now if you're into shock comedy, and you're not that funny, you may go to places that are just like, "Hey, it's comedy man." Like it's your excuse. Those types of comedians, that's for them to deal with. But everyone I know is funny, who is funny, is still funny. And I think you can still make comedy movies. There's so much, it's not changed. People still love comedy. They still love irreverence. “Curb” is proof of that. People love irreverence. People love comedically being politically incorrect. If it's funny, funny is the key. Nothing else.

It's not humorless to think the "snowflakes" post isn't funny.  It's just insulting people (or "punching down" as the cliché goes). And while some people might laugh at it, most people see it for what it is.  A lame attempt at insulting groups of people while hiding behind the "just kidding" disclaimer.

ml1 said:

It's not humorless to think the "snowflakes" post isn't funny.  It's just insulting people (or "punching down" as the cliché goes). And while some people might laugh at it, most people see it for what it is.  A lame attempt at insulting groups of people while hiding behind the "just kidding" disclaimer.

Don’t forget: “Snowballs.”

DaveSchmidt said:

Don’t forget: “Snowballs.”

How could I forget such a boffo line?

DaveSchmidt said:

Also because he was able to complete a snow person — a zaftig one, no less — in five minutes.

Your use of that word is offensive to Jews, Anti-Semites, and the "weight challenged".

What do you call a leader of a great Nation who abruptly leaves an International Conference because some other leaders of great nations make a joke at his expense?

Not a humor issue, but symbolic  of the trend to increased government involvement in our lives. Wausau, Wisconsin has banned snow ball throwing — in public, even playgrounds, by anyone.

I guess you can do it in the privacy of your own home. blank stare

mtierney said:

Not a humor issue, but symbolic  of the trend to increased government involvement in our lives. Wausau, Wisconsin has banned snow ball throwing — in public, even playgrounds, by anyone.

I guess you can do it in the privacy of your own home.
blank stare

you know what is funny?  How people like yourself get duped over and over again by such stories.  That ordinance is not indicative of any trend, because it's been on the books for nearly 60 years (at least).  My BS meter went off immediately (as yours should have as well, assuming you have one).  And a few seconds with the google uncovered this:

Yes, throwing snowballs is illegal in Wausau. But it’s not a new rule.

“I searched the hard copy ordinance books I could find in our office and found it in its exact form today, at least as far back as 1962,” Jacobson told Wausau Pilot and Review. “But we could not definitely determine when it was first enacted.”

so yes, it's funny that you and anyone else who fell for that story was punked oh oh

Bill Clinton's Box Under the Bed (internet joke):

When Bill and Hillary first got married Bill said, "I put a box under the bed. Promise me you will never look in it." In all their 40+ years of marriage, Hillary never looked. On the afternoon of their 40th anniversary, curiosity got the best of Hillary and she lifted the lid and peeked inside. In the box were 3 empty beer cans and $10,000 in cash.

Hillary closed the box and put it back under the bed. Now that she knew what was in the box, she was doubly curious as to why there was such a box and with those contents. That evening, they were out for a special anniversary dinner. After dinner, Hillary could no longer contain her curiosity and she confessed, saying, “I'm so sorry, Bill. For all these years, I kept my promise and never looked into the box under our bed. However, today the temptation was too much and I gave in. But now I need to know, why do you keep the 3 beer cans in the box?”

Bill thought for a while and said, "I guess after all these years you deserve to know the truth. Whenever I was unfaithful to you, I put an empty beer can in the box under the bed to remind myself not to do it again.” Hillary was shocked, but thought, "Hmmm, Jennifer, Paula and Monica. And since I know he is addicted to sex, three times is not too bad.”

She said, ”OK Bill, I guess I can forgive you.” Bill thanked her for being so understanding. They hugged and made their peace. A little while later Hillary asked Bill, "So what is the $10,000 cash in the box  all about?”

Bill answered, "Well, whenever the box filled up with empty cans, I took them back for the deposit."

STANV said:

What do you call a leader of a great Nation who abruptly leaves an International Conference because some other leaders of great nations make a joke at his expense?

Donald Trump 

Trump/Melania Internet Joke

Why was Melania so excited when Donald Trump became president?

Because Melania can now call herself the first lady instead of the third wife.

George Bush goes to an elementary school (internet joke):

George Bush while president goes to an elementary school to talk about the Iraq war. After his talk, he offers to answer questions.  One little boy puts up his hand and GWB asked him "What is your name?"

The child responded with "Bob."

GWB:  And what is your question, Bob?

Child1:  I have 3 questions.

First, why did the USA invade Iraq without the support of the UN?

Second, why are you president when Al Gore got more votes?

Third, what happened to Osama bin laden?

Just then, the bell rings for recess.  GWB informs the kids that they will continue the question and answer session after recess concludes.  When they resume GWB says, Ok where were we?

GWB:  Oh, that's right. Question time. Who has a question?

A different little boy raises his hand.  George points him out and GWB asked him what is your name?

Child2:  Steve

GWB:  And what is your question Steve?

Child2:  I have 5 questions.

First, why did the USA invade Iraq without the support of UN?

Second, why are you president when Al Gore got more votes?

Third, what happened to Osama bin laden?

Fourth, why did the recess bell go off 20 minutes early?

Fifth, where is Bob?

ml1 said:

so yes, it's funny that you and anyone else who fell for that story was punked 
oh oh

Joke is, the law is still on the books 

mtierney said:

I hope this is a joke 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/we-can-impeach-again-democratic-congressman-suggests-continuous-impeachment-effort%3F_amp%3Dtrue

I know thread drift can't be prevented, but why are you posting this here? Why not on your own "Rose Garden" thread?

Setup:

mtierney said:

the trend to increased government involvement in our lives. 

Punch line:

ml1 said:

been on the books for nearly 60 years (at least).

Sad trombone:

mtierney said:

Joke is, the law is still on the books

DaveSchmidt said:

Nothing proves a sense of humor more than the dogged pursuit of accurate quotations, no matter how minor the discrepancies. Here, word for word, is what Samuel Butler actually wrote:

“A sense of humour keen enough to show a man his own absurdities, as well as those of other people, will keep him from the commission of all sins, or nearly all, save those that are worth committing."

Thanks for the quote correction the addition makes the quote even better. To quote me "one cannot trust the veracity of the quote interwebs" . Quite.

ml1 said:

I know thread drift can't be prevented, but why are you posting this here? Why not on your own "Rose Garden" thread?

I believe threads are open to one and all. But, to answer your question, this thread is ostensibly dedicated to political humor. Once in awhile, I like to join the choir.

Some folks want to suppress free speach I guess

lord_pabulum said:

because asking someone to post in another thread is suppression?

mtierney said:

I believe threads are open to one and all. But, to answer your question, this thread is ostensibly dedicated to political humor. Once in awhile, I like to join the choir.

sure. But your last post isn't a joke by anyone else's definition. 

ml1 said:

lord_pabulum said:

It is if you're a snowflake. 

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

I guess you can do it in the privacy of your own home.
blank stare

you know what is funny?  How people like yourself get duped over and over again by such stories.  That ordinance is not indicative of any trend, because it's been on the books for nearly 60 years (at least).  My BS meter went off immediately (as yours should have as well, assuming you have one).  And a few seconds with the google uncovered this:

Yes, throwing snowballs is illegal in Wausau. But it’s not a new rule.

oh oh

I believe in order to have a bs meter one must have some critical thinking capability.

nohero said:

It is if you're a snowflake. 

now THAT'S funny 

ml1 said:

How is this right?

ml1 said:

sure. But your last post isn't a joke by anyone else's definition. 

Two singing cats are not funny?

mtierney said:

Two singing cats are not funny?

BG9 said:

I believe in order to have a bs meter one must have some critical thinking capability.

But what has been missing is exactly “critical thinking capability”. Choir singing with all sopranos is grating — balance is necessary to keep the audience tuned in.

Definition: 

“The earliest documentation of critical thinking are the teachings of Socrates recorded by Plato. Socrates established the fact that one cannot depend upon those in "authority" to have sound knowledge and insight. He demonstrated that persons may have power and high position and yet be deeply confused and irrational. He established the importance of asking deep questions that probe profoundly into thinking before we accept ideas as worthy of belief.”

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!