The Bitching Thread

Speaking of language, I hate it when people write or say "my bad."

hans said:

Speaking of language, I hate it when people write or say "my bad."

I would agree, unless they go on to write something like "dog pissed all over the floor again."

I'm with you there, don't get me started on how the internet and texting has bastardized the English language as a whole. It bugs me when adults use 'LOL' instead of saying "That was funny, it made me laugh". Have we really run out of time to say things correctly?

MonJay said:

I'm with you there, don't get me started on how the internet and texting has bastardized the English language as a whole. It bugs me when adults use 'LOL' instead of saying "That was funny, it made me laugh". Have we really run out of time to say things correctly?

Idk.

In a Nick Hornby book, an American shouts out, "The f*ck!" And a Brit asks what that means. Another Brit explains that Americans don't have time to say, "What."

Tom_Reingold said:

In a Nick Hornby book, an American shouts out, "The f*ck!" And a Brit asks what that means. Another Brit explains that Americans don't have time to say, "What."

It's not "the f*ck!" it's "da f*ck?"

Brooklyn is cool when you can't afford Manhattan.

The current trend to say almost everything in the historical present tense really annoys me. I mean, just last month this guy walks up to me and he is draped in velvet!

Oh, and people from Brooklyn who move out of Brooklyn. That's really annoying, too. Since it's so great, just stay there. ;-)

mrincredible said:

It bugs me when people write posts and leave out the beginning of a sentence, usually the word "I" or the phrase "I am" or "we are". I cannot think of the name for that particular part of speech or language.

Examples might be something like "Wondering why that guy was in the park so late at night" or "Praying that little doggie finds his way home safely". This is an incorrect way to start a sentence, & it grates on my nerves. It would sound very awkward if spoken.

I was thinking of starting my own thread to discuss this matter, but I believe this is a more appropriate place to rant and and get over it.

But seriously, stop doing it. The English language begs you.

Are you talking about posts here, or on facebook? Because a lot of people like to write status updates like that because their names head whatever they write.

Example:

Mark Zuckerberg really digs this new format for the newsfeed.

debby said:

mrincredible said:

It bugs me when people write posts and leave out the beginning of a sentence, usually the word "I" or the phrase "I am" or "we are". I cannot think of the name for that particular part of speech or language.

Examples might be something like "Wondering why that guy was in the park so late at night" or "Praying that little doggie finds his way home safely". This is an incorrect way to start a sentence, & it grates on my nerves. It would sound very awkward if spoken.

I was thinking of starting my own thread to discuss this matter, but I believe this is a more appropriate place to rant and and get over it.

Are you talking about posts here, or on facebook? Because a lot of people like to write status updates like that because their names head whatever they write.

Example:

Except that's not how the Facebook newsfeed works anymore. It's one of the few changes to Facebook I like, actually, that now you're not prompted to write in the third person!

Things I did not want to do today (a sunny Friday in the Australian winter): Spend 10 hours in the Emergency Dept with my FIL while he has an enema for chronic constipation (yep, we waited 6 hours until things started to move even slightly) then listen to him explain to his doctor why he wouldn't drink more, eat more fruit or veg, or exercise more.

Things I do not want to start doing from tomorrow: keeping a 'bowel diary' for my FIL, after having asked him daily if he's sat on the toilet.
:0&

This rainy cool weather stinks. Wasting my yearly pool membership for the third week in a row.

Blackcat- There is a reduced pool membership if you join after August 1st.

debby said:

mrincredible said:

Example:

Here. It's not writing about oneself in the third person. It's starting the sentence with a verb which goes along with a first-person subject such as "I" or "we".

I think it stems from the character economy practiced in texting but it annoys me in a full format forum like this one.

I know in some languages the subject becomes implicit based on the verb but not in English.

Say "full format forum" three times fast.

UGH. To the guy in the Kiki 88 license plate Accura Coupe who is obviously suffering from a mid life crisis. Dude take a chill pill and please cool it with the giving me the finger because I was making a Jersey left turn (this is from rt22 to New Providence Road) It is not my fault that the road has no room for someone making the left turn to turn into. Deal with it. Instead of being pleasant and letting me go as I was blocking the road at no fault of my own, you decided to force your car ahead and then give me the finger. Way to go... BTW, the car is not helping you dude. You are old and not cute. Get a life!

marylago said:

I get a little peeved that people from Brooklyn think it's the coolest place on earth and yet, where are they living? Sheesh!

I know, sorry! Well I can't afford to live in the coolest place on earth, but well, I like it here too! cheese if that helps...

svitale03 said:

Oh, and people from Brooklyn who move out of Brooklyn. That's really annoying, too. Since it's so great, just stay there. ;-)

I can totally understand how annoying this is but sometimes it's hard to control ourselves. Maybe it's part of a healing process or something. I've moved several times in my life and I have to say, nothing was never even close to how hard it was to leave Brooklyn. It sounds crazy but I'm sure some people understand what in saying.

And to contribute with my Iil bitchin, this humid weather? Blergh!

Gioamorim, I understand that the weather is bad and this aggravates you yearning for Brooklyn; I also understand that you have stuck to the one-subject, bitching and ranting rule, and that you have not introduced new sources of bitching, but you have multiple bitching posts, and this is a violation of the bitching thread rules. question We can't have it.question

May I suggest that you practice displacement. Just bitch about someone else's bitching, like I am illustrating :* right now.

I do not get the "cool Brooklyn" thing. I lived there for 10 years and couldn't wait to get out. The only worse thing for me would have been Staten Island.

Sorry, Copihue, I know I'm breaking the rules. Can I bitch about the fact that there are rules to our bitching???

F*ing bitching rules.

Or do I mean, "Bitching rules!"

I'm breaking the rules by admiring the 'bitching displacement' rule!!! ;-)

I have a hard time with people who give away their pet(s) after they have a baby, saying it's just too much work. I see this on a parenting listerve I belong to all the time. I mean, if you can't find enough time to feed and walk a dog with a baby in the house, I hope you aren't planning on having more than one child. I can just see the posts now, "Rehoming our lovely toddler. She is great, but with a newborn in the house, we just don't have the time to give her the attention she needs."

It is totally allowed to admire someone's rant in the Bitching Thread. For example, adifferentone, has nailed it. Wow! If this were a contest, and if I were the only judge, you would win the Bitching contest.

PeggyC, I think that we need to start the Whinning Thread. In the Whinning Thread one can mull over the same thing ad nauseum. That is the requirement of whinning, but not in Bitching. In Bitching it's once, and you're done! You can take up a whole page if you wish.

I reviewed the rule book, and I found the following rule: If poster has the urgency to bitch on a second post about a totally different subject, the said poster may earn bitching credits by posting 1.1 praise posts. But you have to bitch about a different topic. A expansion on the first bitch rant constitutes a whine, and praise posts cannot be used to make whinning posts on the bitching thread. You must also keep track of your own praise credits. So make two praise credits, and you will get 1 bitching post and .9 bitching post credits on account.

Brooklynites bitching about how food here isn't any good. No one asked you to move here and call our food lousy though it is your right to do so. And it is my right to tell you that If you are that picky about food stay home and learn how to cook.

Yeah! Learn to cook or go back to dirty, smelly,
crowded, phony Brooklyn.

Lizziecat, I see two bitching rants for you on the subject of Brooklyn. I am afraid that you will need to move to the Whinning Thread to continue to rant about Brooklyn. Don't worry. I will start it for you. Give me a minute.

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.

Actually, I think "Moaning" would be a more natural offshoot of a thread on bitching.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.