Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

Well, if Chris Rock said it, it must be gospel.

I guess this explains your claims to be a Chris-tian.  I knew it couldn't have anything to do with that other guy.

Quick musings from the future (it’s almost 8:30 am on 8 March here):

1) Happy Holi! Watch out for that coloured powder!! And remember to laugh if/when you get caught - remember that we want Good to triumph over Evil!!

2) Happy International Women’s Day! Wear our wonderful colours - white for innocence, purple for dignity, green for hope - and recall your inspiring yet probably overlooked women role models.  question

Today’s Gospel…

Gospel

Mt 20:17-28

As Jesus was going up to Jerusalem,
he took the Twelve disciples aside by themselves,
and said to them on the way,
“Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem,
and the Son of Man will be handed over to the chief priests
and the scribes,
and they will condemn him to death,
and hand him over to the Gentiles
to be mocked and scourged and crucified,
and he will be raised on the third day.”

Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee approached Jesus with her sons
and did him homage, wishing to ask him for something.
He said to her, “What do you wish?”
She answered him,
“Command that these two sons of mine sit,
one at your right and the other at your left, in your kingdom.”
Jesus said in reply,
“You do not know what you are asking.
Can you drink the chalice that I am going to drink?”
They said to him, “We can.”
He replied,
“My chalice you will indeed drink,
but to sit at my right and at my left,
this is not mine to give
but is for those for whom it has been prepared by my Father.”
When the ten heard this,
they became indignant at the two brothers.
But Jesus summoned them and said,
“You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them,
and the great ones make their authority over them felt.
But it shall not be so among you.
Rather, whoever wishes to be great among you shall be your servant;
whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave.
Just so, the Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve
and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

Hey, Mtierney, isn’t that Reading a bit early?? Passover isn’t until April 9th, ie Last Supper isn’t until that night, so their sacrifice isn’t due for a month. Why would they trudge so slowly to ‘hasten to do Good for Gd’ (my paraphrase)? 
I’m very very confused. 

joanne said:

Hey, Mtierney, isn’t that Reading a bit early?? Passover isn’t until April 9th, ie Last Supper isn’t until that night, so their sacrifice isn’t due for a month. Why would they trudge so slowly to ‘hasten to do Good for Gd’ (my paraphrase)? 
I’m very very confused. 

If you get a chance, joanne, I think you'd very much enjoy the new Mel Brooks TV series History of the World Part II. Very funny, very irreverent (so mtierney wouldn't like it) but the sections around the last days of Jesus (titled Curb Your Judaism) were particularly brilliant. Not sure what channel would show it over there, but be on the lookout for it.

(Hubby is a Mel Brooks fan so is probably trying to download it to watch on catchup)

Ah, that whacky Moses. A great role model when it came to infanticide and human trafficking. From the Book of Numbers 31: 14-18 (The Rape of the Midianites)

14 And Moses was wroth with the officers of the host, with the captains over thousands, and captains over hundreds, which came from the battle.

15 And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive?

16 Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the Lord in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the Lord.

17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.

18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

One doesn't need to vivid of an imagination to know what keeping the virgin women children "for yourselves" meant. Perhaps the Israelites souls would have been better served if they had not listened to Moses.

Does the prudent follower of Chris respond to a post about the rape of the Midianite children with a quote from a man like Mr. Sheen who's Sainthood was recalled because

Now, why was Mr. Sheen's Sainthood recalled???

To answer my own question, I believe the correct word is "indiscretion".

cheese

Before you go searching through your rogue's gallery for another quote, let me just say that I believe Cardinal Pell would also be unsuitable, for similar reasons.

He said to him,
'My son, you are here with me always;
everything I have is yours.
But now we must celebrate and rejoice,
because your brother was dead and has come to life again;
he was lost and has been found.'"

I am the one that is “confused” here, Joanne, about how you follow this thread, may I say, religiously, often interjecting off topic comments, and deflecting, here and there. Suggesting the Catholic Lenten Schedule is off, however, is over the top!

joanne said:

I’m very very confused

joanne said:

I’m very very confused. 

isn’t Passover on the 6th of April?

mtierney said:

mtierney said:

I am the one that is “confused” here, Joanne, about how you follow this thread, may I say, religiously, often interjecting off topic comments, and deflecting, here and there. Suggesting the Catholic Lenten Schedule is off, however, is over the top

she never said the schedule was off, it seemed too early for that piece of Gospel. 

mtierney said:

I am the one that is “confused” 

That is abundantly clear. 

mtierney said:

you follow this thread, may I say, religiously, often interjecting off topic comments, and deflecting, here and there. 

Indeed you are very confused.  What could be more topical to a discussion of modern Christianity and Catholicism than a post about the tragedy of clerical abuse?

mtierney said:

Suggesting the Catholic Lenten Schedule is off, however, is over the top!

One might even suggest that you are disoriented.  If you had read the Gospels, instead of spending all your time watching Chris Rock specials, you would know that the schedule for Easter is intimately connected to that of Jewish Passover.  Only the most ignorant and/or the most virulently antisemitic would try to separate them.  

You can tell me which of those two categories you fall into.

GoSlugs said:

mtierney said:

Suggesting the Catholic Lenten Schedule is off, however, is over the top!

One might even suggest that you are disoriented.  If you had read the Gospels, instead of spending all your time watching Chris Rock specials, you would know that the schedule for Easter is intimately connected to that of Jewish Passover.  Only the most ignorant and/or the most virulently antisemitic would try to separate them.  

You can tell me which of those two categories you fall into.

Why are you suggesting that she's trying to separate them?

nohero said:

Why are you suggesting that she's trying to separate them?

Well, she seemed to take offense at the idea that a Jew would comment on the Lenten schedule (or on her Catholicism thread in general).

I, for one, have always enjoyed Joanne's contribution's to this thread.  There are some truths that can only be seen by looking at a system from the outside.  

Plus Australia.  Fascinating!

Mtierney, this year Passover and Easter are connected on the calendar. Further, the Greek Orthodox Lent strictly follows the lead-up to Last Supper (our Seder),  recognising it one week before observing their Easter. 
How is this off-topic?

How is recognising the ancient sacrificial cycle in the Holy Temple off-topic, when the sacrifice would not be made for a month so there’s no point in getting to Jerusalem early?? Australian Catholics had the same reading, and an alternate one that most churches chose to use instead. However each time I try to copy the reference, it disappears (as the calendar is old).

Edited to correct Mtierney’s name.

And yes, earlier in the thread we’ve discussed clerical abuse and Church coverups, so I keep you updated on the Australian legal scene. 

Keeping secular dates, Hebrew calendar, Greek calendar, Indian and Thai calendars plus a couple of others - which I’ve had to do, professionally, for decades - gets all jumbled in my brain. You’re right. 
It’s the Wed night; Good Friday follows. 

Jaytee said:

isn’t Passover on the 6th of April?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.