Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

joanne said:

And yes, earlier in the thread we’ve discussed clerical abuse and Church coverups, so I keep you updated on the Australian legal scene. 

Our press in the U.S. covers this topic thoroughly, Joanne, sadly enough. What is it about a discussion on faith in God that makes some folks so angry, do you think?

Love hearing stuff about your beautiful country, though.

mtierney said:

joanne said:

And yes, earlier in the thread we’ve discussed clerical abuse and Church coverups, so I keep you updated on the Australian legal scene. 

Our press in the U.S. covers this topic thoroughly, Joanne, sadly enough. 

This is something I have never understood about you.  Why do you think these issues should not be discussed in the press?

cool cheese From other US friends, I gather that in fact US media doesn’t keep you abreast of all the nuances in our religious news. I doubt, for instance, that you’ve heard the day-by-day horrors of the Malka Liefer abuse case (currently in the courts) (remember?  that took place in the teeny chasidic school where my mother had taught kindergarten with the previous Principal).

Upthread, someone responded to one of the readings with a comment about Moses’ leadership. We are taught that Moses was not an ideal example of humanity - flawed in ability (for example, he spoke with a very pronounced lisp) and in personality (quick to anger, often unreasonable etc). In fact, his flaws are used to teach us to hold ourselves in check, to ask ourselves if it’s right to demand ‘perfection’ in ways people can’t deliver.  Anyway, I’ve just read this interesting article on Ethiopian Jewish texts

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/history/articles/ethiopian-jews-sacred-scripture
There’s an ancient Book of Moses they use to understand history, and Commandments. Quite different to the texts we know. Could be worth following up. 

Oh! I’ve just learnt that generally you don’t discuss interfaith & cross-cultural matters as openly, as freely as we do, in the casual run of daily conversations. 
I’m sorry for any cultural missteps; kinda assumed we know each other well enough by now to ‘hear’ the genuine friendliness in most of our conversations and questions. 

joanne said:

Oh! I’ve just learnt that generally you don’t discuss interfaith & cross-cultural matters as openly, as freely as we do, in the casual run of daily conversations. 
I’m sorry for any cultural missteps; kinda assumed we know each other well enough by now to ‘hear’ the genuine friendliness in most of our conversations and questions. 

you don’t have to apologize for anything Joanne. Some people are so rigid in their thinking that their brain might crack if you introduce some levity into the conversations. She’s not the only one, at times it appears as if this message board is a display case for superior intelligence, and perfection. 
I’m sure she has zero interest in the Ethiopian Jew. 

The Moses reply was for PVW or GoSlugs, I think, who made their observation about him. cheese

This is the fourth part of today’s Gospel — had a “ devil” of a time copying and pasting! As Lent goes along, and the Gospels become longer, I think my resolve might weaken! 

“I have food to eat of which you do not know.”
So the disciples said to one another,
“Could someone have brought him something to eat?”
Jesus said to them,
“My food is to do the will of the one who sent me
and to finish his work.
Do you not say, ‘In four months the harvest will be here’?
I tell you, look up and see the fields ripe for the harvest.
The reaper is already receiving payment
and gathering crops for eternal life,
so that the sower and reaper can rejoice together.
For here the saying is verified that ‘One sows and another reaps.’
I sent you to reap what you have not worked for;
others have done the work,
and you are sharing the fruits of their work.”

Many of the Samaritans of that town began to believe in him
because of the word of the woman who testified,
“He told me everything I have done.”
When the Samaritans came to him,

they invited him to stay with them;
and he stayed there two days.
Many more began to believe in him because of his word,
and they said to the woman,
“We no longer believe because of your word;
for we have heard for ourselves,
and we know that this is truly the savior of the world.”

joanne said:

I don’t think it’s that. It may be that some Americans are more confident giving opinions on, or even putting down, beliefs that they don’t really know that much about.

The same could be said for politics, which is another subject many people don’t think should be brought up in polite conversation. 

joanne said:

Similarly, I don't think there is anything to apologize for.  As I said earlier, I have always felt that this discussion is brightened by an outside perspective. Of course, there are always those who, for one reason or another, feel more comfortable away from the light.

I sometimes wonder if all these people who witnessed incredible things and documented them in the Bible, were smoking weed? I mean, these guys basically sat around under some big trees watching sheep all day… did Moses accidentally caused that bush to burn like that? Ezekiel said he saw a spaceship land and God was the pilot. That pot that was coming out of India at the time was potent. After all… the first Rastafarians came from India…even Jesus journeyed there for some inspiration…

There was a theory, a couple of decades ago, that it was all based on rotting grain (ergot) or magic mushrooms…  Well, after all, Gd created all didn’t he/she??  

The birthday partying is over — but the disingenuous take on Christianity here continues unchecked, even from a biblical scholar who should know better!

Hope the birthday was lovely, and your year ahead will be full of good health and happiness  question

There are several YouTube clips on the theory, and all kinds of academic reviews on it, but for our purposes, this wiki article is probably best :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sacred_Mushroom_and_the_Cross  Note that in many places hallucinogenic were used in Christian services and religious study sessions, until the Inquisition times disapproved. 

Ergot, wheat and biblical links have been discussed for centuries. For one thing, you have the Salem witch connections. Also, from time immemorial, ergot has been used by midwives to help bring on birth and dull labour pains. It’s also known to help with difficult periods. And it’s known as an hallucinogenic… https://ianchadwick.com/blog/bread-madness-and-christianity/  It’s mentioned several times in the Bible, if you recognise the descriptions. 
https://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/bible.html   Truffles? Mushrooms? Bitter melons??  ask a prophet!  (It’s worth noting how ergot affects the meat of animals that have eaten it, and may therefore explain some of the kashrut and halal laws - pigs, for instance, are affected permanently by a very small amount) 

joanne said:

There are several YouTube clips on the theory, and all kinds of academic reviews on it, but for our purposes, this wiki article is probably best :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sacred_Mushroom_and_the_Cross  Note that in many places hallucinogenic were used in Christian services and religious study sessions, until the Inquisition times disapproved. 

That wasn't actually a "thing".  Not that there couldn't have been some people throughout history who decided to combine Christian practices with some natural "enhancements". But it wasn't any kind of standard practice, and it's not related to the institution of sacraments or the Mass in the first place.

Wasn’t there a controversial theorist a couple of decades ago who claimed the apostles and their followers sat in smoky, incense-perfumed rooms consuming mmmushrooms for visions and ‘insight’? I have forgotten salient details. 

joanne said:

Wasn’t there a controversial theorist a couple of decades ago who claimed the apostles and their followers sat in smoky, incense-perfumed rooms consuming mmmushrooms for visions and ‘insight’? I have forgotten salient details. 

they were all hippies…woke folks 

joanne said:

Could have been.  We could probably find a theorist for any possible theory that anyone could think up.

nohero said:

That wasn't actually a "thing".  Not that there couldn't have been some people throughout history who decided to combine Christian practices with some natural "enhancements". But it wasn't any kind of standard practice, and it's not related to the institution of sacraments or the Mass in the first place.

What Rome says and what people do have often varied quite a bit. We get little glimpses of the wide variety of how people actually practiced Christianity at various times and places mainly via the condemnations of them, but one starts to get the sense that medieval Christendom was a much stranger and more interesting place than we've been led to believe.

joanne said:

The Moses reply was for PVW or GoSlugs, I think, who made their observation about him.
cheese

Wasn't in that convo, but I appreciate your correctly pegging me as the sort likely to be interested!

As today marks the 10th anniversary of Pope Francis’ papacy, this recap is worth reading. His ten years encompass the three Covid pandemic years.  One statistic was of particular interest to me — and I am far away from being a statistician! 

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/253837/by-the-numbers-how-the-catholic-church-has-changed-during-pope-francis-pontificate

Francis seems to be a “woke” liberal… who’s actually calling for the termination of celibacy for priests. What about the nuns? 

Added the reading since it concerns Moses

Jaytee said:

Francis seems to be a “woke” liberal… who’s actually calling for the termination of celibacy for priests. What about the nuns? 

There aren't a lot of million dollar legal settlements involving "celibate" nuns gone wrong.

GoSlugs said:

Jaytee said:

There aren't a lot of million dollar legal settlements involving "celibate" nuns gone wrong.

The celibacy requirement isn't the cause of the abuse.

Nuns are members of religious communities (the same with men in religious orders who aren't priests). They're celibate because they're in those communities.  There are married people who become members of religious orders, too, but they don't live in community the way nuns and brothers do.

nohero said:

Obviously. However, that has been put forward as a possible cause by some of the less enlightened Church fathers.

Rape is about power but we have seen right here suggestions that the priests involved were "seduced" by their "wicked victims".  

Ugly stuff to be sure but sadly it prevails in some of the nastier corners of the Church.

GoSlugs said:

nohero said:

Obviously. However, that has been put forward as a possible cause by some of the less enlightened Church fathers.

No, you're conflating two different "explanations". Non-catholics blame the celibacy requirement. "Less enlightened Church fathers" blame homosexuality.

GoSlugs said:

I was wondering if the nuns wouldn’t have to be celibate also. I think it’s fair if priests aren’t required to be, that nuns should have the same rights. It’s interesting to see how far Franchis can go with this. I like him.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.