Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

mtierney said:

Welcoming war refugees, a town in Western PA fills a local need with a helping hand….

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/254849/western-pennsylvania-diocese-invites-ukrainian-refugees-to-visit-and-permanently-stay

Meanwhile -

"On Capitol Hill, a handful of Republican lawmakers are threatening to reduce or eliminate funding for Catholic Charities and other faith-based groups who offer aid to immigrants at the Southern border.

"The members of Congress, who are echoing the campaigns of deeply conservative Catholic groups that vow to “#defund the bishops,” have already succeeded in inserting their agenda into legislation passed by the House earlier this year. Another attempt to zero-out appropriations for a key Department of Homeland Security program supporting faith-based border efforts is awaiting a vote in Congress."

In targeting Catholic Charities, Republicans amplify right-wing Catholic fringe (religionnews.com)

The barb wire in the river is not enough? They have been persecuting Catholics for a couple hundred years now, sadly some Catholics still carry water for these people.

It seems important to memorialize Sinead O'Connor's brave stance in the defense of children here.  She was truly years ahead of everyone else and she was persecuted for her truth telling.

And in other news from Rome, archaeologists have found Nero’s theatre, buried under a plaza around the corner from the Vatican:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/ruins-of-ancient-neros-theater-discovered-near-vatican/
(I chose this article because of the pics of the dig and finds.  Please excuse the ads etc)

mtierney said:

85,000 unaccounted for migrant children!

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/254925/sound-of-freedom-screening-on-capitol-hill-sparks-call-to-track-missing-children-in-us

I find the assertion that mtierney suddenly gives a fig about children absurd. This is, after all, the same person who suggested that Pervy Pell be made a saint. 

GoSlugs said:

mtierney said:

85,000 unaccounted for migrant children!

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/254925/sound-of-freedom-screening-on-capitol-hill-sparks-call-to-track-missing-children-in-us

I find the assertion that mtierney suddenly gives a fig about children absurd. This is, after all, the same person who suggested that Pervy Pell be made a saint. 

This paragraph isn't true.

Verástegui pointed out that nearly 85,000 Latin American children and adolescents, unaccompanied by adults, were admitted into the U.S. in 2022 alone. (According to government sources, some 130,000 migrant minors entered the country in 2021 and 2022, of which 85,000 are as yet unaccounted for.) The federal government has admitted that it doesn’t know their condition or whereabouts, having neglected to properly identify and care for them.

The 85,000 "missing" children, are a subset of minors who were processed and released to parents, guardians, or relatives as sponsors by the Office of Refugee Resettlement. Once released, they are the responsibility of the sponsor, but ORR carries out wellness check-ups around 30 days after placement (up to 3 attempts to call both the child and sponsor) and if no one answers, that's it. ORR (a division of DHHS, not DHS) are not obligated to send anyone to physically follow up, so they close out the case from their end as it's now in the hands of USCIS, who process the asylum seeker's petition.

On the road again. By way of background, the 2020 encyclical "Fratelli Tutti", referred to below, is one that right-wing Americans have never been happy with.

"The encyclical, addressed to the entire community of Catholic faithful and people of good will around the world, doesn’t name any nation, but many will read Francis’ thoughts on political and social division, rampant nationalism and instances of xenophobic and racist violence as a warning to the United States, which has been embroiled in many of these issues of late." Fratelli Tutti enshrines familiar criticisms of racism and borders (religionnews.com)

It's always a good idea for the CEO to get out of the office and see how things are going with the regular customers. 

As parents who believed in taking our four kids on multiple trips all across America and into Canada, in our spacious Lincoln Mercury town and country wagon, I cannot begin to fathom how in the world a family of ten planned and prepared for a trip to WYD!

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/255004/maryland-family-of-10-making-the-most-of-their-first-world-youth-day-in-lisbon

God bless!

mtierney said:

As parents who believed in taking our four kids on multiple trips all across America and into Canada, in our spacious Lincoln Mercury town and country wagon, I cannot begin to fathom how in the world a family of ten planned and prepared for a trip to WYD!

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/255004/maryland-family-of-10-making-the-most-of-their-first-world-youth-day-in-lisbon

God bless!

Hopefully, at least some of those kids are adopted.

GoSlugs said:

mtierney said:

God bless!

Hopefully, at least some of those kids are adopted.

Some people have larger families. "Anthony, 18; Rosemary, 16; Thomas, 14; Cecilia, 13; Catherine, 10; Gloria, 9; Josie, 3; and Edmund, 1"

Excessively large families pose an ethical problem for me in our modern world with its rising seas and dwindling resources.  I understand that other people feel differently but that's how I feel.

What I should say is that excessively large biological families pose an ethical problem for me in our modern world with its rising seas and dwindling resources. There's nothing wrong with wanting to have large families and there are plenty of great kids out there waiting to be adopted.

As the mother of three adopted children (one deceased) and one biological child, I recognize that  being parents and raising children is a challenging and rewarding lifelong learning experience.

Large families with multiple children, out of wedlock, with disconnected Dads, not so much. 

When living in Vailsburg in the early ‘60s, my husband and I would be allowed to take boys from St Mary’s Orphanage, that was on South Orange Avenue, for outings on weekends — a movie, baseball game, etc. What they enjoyed most, I recall, was coming back to our apartment for dinner!

These kids, for the most part, were not available for adoption, but had parents who were not just not able to offer a secure home for them. Many remained until they were eligible for working papers.

I think the loss of places of refuge for many children created an unfortunate outcome and a setback  for homeless or neglected kids. Public assistance checks are  not a substitute for a parent in the home. It was a classic example of how evildoers destroyed what should have been a protected environment for needy kids.

All of this because a family of ten went to Portugal for their first world youth day… they might be planning on staying. Children are your blessings.

Aug 9, 1945  — I was 13 years old when Americans celebrated this event. I remember feeling so happy that the War’s end would bring my brother and other relatives back home! Grainy newsreels watched in movie theatres did not fully define the price of victory. The horrible war was over!

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/255054/atomic-bomb-dropped-on-nagasaki-killed-two-thirds-of-the-city-s-catholics-78-years-ago

My Brooklyn apartment house in the Fort Hamilton section, celebrating the end of. the War….

mtierney said:

fair ruling for religious schools….

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/255094/new-jersey-court-rules-catholic-school-can-require-teachers-to-follow-catholic-teaching

So, if I am running a rationalist  school, can I fire a teacher because they are Catholic?  Worshipping some made up All Father in the sky might violate my schools code of conduct. I mean, they are only doing it in their free time but…..

mtierney said:

fair ruling for religious schools….

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/255094/new-jersey-court-rules-catholic-school-can-require-teachers-to-follow-catholic-teaching

Poor choice by the school, and there's no Catholic teaching that demands that they fire the teacher.

A day late, but this Assumption Day tribute from The Tablet is too good a read…

“As I left Mass for the Feast of the Assumption at the exquisite London church of St Francis, Pottery Lane this morning, I was struck by a sudden thought: Our Lady was never stressed.

“Just before I lost my post-Communion peace in a panic over the quickest route to The Tablet offices, I spared a thought for Mary’s response to the Angel’s request she bear Jesus. I’m not sure how I would have reacted in her place, but I know myself enough to be sure that resentment – “I have to say yes” – and panic – “Can I handle this?” – would have been part of my response. Definitely not the Magnificat.

“Yet Mary sang of God’s favour, rather than fretting over practicalities. Her deep joy, however, is rarely depicted in art, observes Margaret Hebblethwaite in a considered article in the magazine, re-evaluating the Assumption of Mary.

“The Magnificat also reveals, to my eyes at least, the incredible trust Mary had in God long before the Annunciation. He was her strength and stay. She was open to trusting God’s help rather than striving, as I so often do, to control outcomes. I wonder too if Our Lady was totally free of expectation about how life or other people ought to be.

“Mary being “full of grace” consoles me on days like today when I’m on the verge of snapping at Google Maps and can’t find my way to the Tube. Some women find Our Lady problematic, an image of holy perfection impossible to emulate. But is this a by-product of capitalism? Of our ultra-competitive age? Social media fosters a spirit of “compare and despair”, rather than celebrating each person as unique and equal, of vital importance for society.

“I can’t emulate Mary’s serenity. I do rejoice in her reliable mercy. My journey to adult faith in Christ began at the age of 17 on a visit to Lourdes. Apart from the glow-in-the-dark plastic water bottles shaped like Our Lady of Lourdes, one memory stands out: the tangible peace in the grotto, no matter how busy the crowds.

“I was subsequently helped by hearing the theologian Scott Hahn unpack Mary in the Scriptures. When he was a zealous Presbyterian, he would urge newly “saved” Christians of Catholic origin to rip apart their rosary beads. As a pastor, he began to study the Church Fathers – who viewed Mary as the new Eve – and study “typology”, the relationship of the old and new Testament. Eventually, Hahn converted to Catholicism. His Marian theology is rich. One aspect is his teaching on Mary as Queen Mother. In the Old Testament or Davidic Kingdom, monarchs were prone to numerous wives. Only the Queen Mother held a role with her son, the King as advocate and intercessor. A thought-provoking concept for today’s solemnity.”

nohero said:

Poor choice by the school, and there's no Catholic teaching that demands that they fire the teacher.

The lesson being taught by the school here is crystal clear. If the teacher had just quietly had an abortion, she’d still have a job.

That ruling is for Catholics, yet other old Christian faiths that take direction from an Apostle (Jeses’ brother, I think) aren’t good enough?. What about the Greek and Russian Orthodox? The Coptics from mHoly Lands??  

i understand the case but am  infused.   Fortunate to be blessed by myOrthodox friends from medical decisions made with Mary watching over me.(the op on arm &shoulder seems to have gone v well. Home today)

We know united positive thoughts in any form  can powerful 

mtierney said:

“As I left Mass for the Feast of the Assumption at the exquisite London church of St Francis, Pottery Lane this morning, I was struck by a sudden thought: Our Lady was never stressed.

“Just before I lost my post-Communion peace in a panic over the quickest route to The Tablet offices, I spared a thought for Mary’s response to the Angel’s request she bear Jesus. I’m not sure how I would have reacted in her place, but I know myself enough to be sure that resentment – “I have to say yes” – and panic – “Can I handle this?” – would have been part of my response. Definitely not the Magnificat.

“Yet Mary sang of God’s favour, rather than fretting over practicalities. Her deep joy, however, is rarely depicted in art, observes Margaret Hebblethwaite in a considered article in the magazine, re-evaluating the Assumption of Mary.

“The Magnificat also reveals, to my eyes at least, the incredible trust Mary had in God long before the Annunciation. He was her strength and stay. She was open to trusting God’s help rather than striving, as I so often do, to control outcomes. I wonder too if Our Lady was totally free of expectation about how life or other people ought to be.

“Mary being “full of grace” consoles me on days like today when I’m on the verge of snapping at Google Maps and can’t find my way to the Tube. Some women find Our Lady problematic, an image of holy perfection impossible to emulate. But is this a by-product of capitalism? Of our ultra-competitive age? Social media fosters a spirit of “compare and despair”, rather than celebrating each person as unique and equal, of vital importance for society.

“I can’t emulate Mary’s serenity. I do rejoice in her reliable mercy. My journey to adult faith in Christ began at the age of 17 on a visit to Lourdes. Apart from the glow-in-the-dark plastic water bottles shaped like Our Lady of Lourdes, one memory stands out: the tangible peace in the grotto, no matter how busy the crowds.

“I was subsequently helped by hearing the theologian Scott Hahn unpack Mary in the Scriptures. When he was a zealous Presbyterian, he would urge newly “saved” Christians of Catholic origin to rip apart their rosary beads. As a pastor, he began to study the Church Fathers – who viewed Mary as the new Eve – and study “typology”, the relationship of the old and new Testament. Eventually, Hahn converted to Catholicism. His Marian theology is rich. One aspect is his teaching on Mary as Queen Mother. In the Old Testament or Davidic Kingdom, monarchs were prone to numerous wives. Only the Queen Mother held a role with her son, the King as advocate and intercessor. A thought-provoking concept for today’s solemnity.”

mtierney said:

“As I left Mass for the Feast of the Assumption at the exquisite London church of St Francis, Pottery Lane this morning, I was struck by a sudden thought: Our Lady was never stressed. ...

"Each year his parents went to Jerusalem for the feast of Passover, and when he was twelve years old, they went up according to festival custom. After they had completed its days, as they were returning, the boy Jesus remained behind in Jerusalem, but his parents did not know it. Thinking that he was in the caravan, they journeyed for a day and looked for him among their relatives and acquaintances, but not finding him, they returned to Jerusalem to look for him.

"After three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions, and all who heard him were astounded at his understanding and his answers.

"When his parents saw him, they were astonished, and his mother said to him, 'Son, why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been looking for you with great anxiety'."

Luke 2:41-48.

nohero said:

mtierney said:

“As I left Mass for the Feast of the Assumption at the exquisite London church of St Francis, Pottery Lane this morning, I was struck by a sudden thought: Our Lady was never stressed. ...

"Each year his parents went to Jerusalem for the feast of Passover, and when he was twelve years old, they went up according to festival custom. After they had completed its days, as they were returning, the boy Jesus remained behind in Jerusalem, but his parents did not know it. Thinking that he was in the caravan, they journeyed for a day and looked for him among their relatives and acquaintances, but not finding him, they returned to Jerusalem to look for him.

"After three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions, and all who heard him were astounded at his understanding and his answers.

"When his parents saw him, they were astonished, and his mother said to him, 'Son, why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been looking for you with great anxiety'."

Luke 2:41-48.

What's that you're quoting from? It looks like the sort of thing that would be banned from a Florida school library.

PVW said:

What's that you're quoting from? It looks like the sort of thing that would be banned from a Florida school library.

There’s a reason why the Church spent so much energy making sure people couldn’t read the bible in their own languages. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.