The Kavanaugh Hearing

LOST said:
With all due respect if I went to a website where most of the participants were Right Wingers I would see many complaints that the Republicans were not fighting hard enough to get Kavanaugh confirmed and that McConnell should have already held the vote.

From Newt, prominent right-wing hasbeen:
On Tuesday's edition of 'Hannity' Fox News contributor, Newt Gingrich says the Democratic Party is desperate to stop the Supreme Court from being conservative.

"We're watching a period where what we have to understand is this is about raw power," Gingrich declared. "And if the left can stop Kavanaugh we will not get another conservative Justice in our lifetime on the Supreme Court."

"I think what the American people should think is that you have a Democratic party so desperate to stop the Supreme Court from becoming conservative that they are prepared to lie, to smear, to be hysterical, to break Senate rules to do whatever they have to do," Gingrich said.

From someone like us on Reddit r/Conservative

GOP...find your balls! This ***** and her family are chin-deep in their history of anti-Trump activities. Kavanaugh's mom, a judge, presided over her parent's home foreclosure. These last-minute "guests" at the feeding-frenzy amount to JACK-SQUAT. Trump forecasted Kavanaugh as a possible justice BEFORE he even won the presidency...

mjc said:
"From Newt, prominent right-wing hasbeen"
LOST, this makes my morning. : )

Newt, probably the second most odious GOPer of all time. 

I think the GOP is really stuck at this point. Dump him and they have to get another name from the Federalist Society. Ram him through and they've got two awful predators on the Court. OTOH, I don't think they can sink any lower in thinking women's minds. 

Only hope for dems is a Hail Mary - stalling until November and winning the Senate.

While I'm not usually stunned by GOP hypocrisy, the line they're pushing - dem stalling - is still a head shaker, given the Garland disgrace.

Democrats aren't running the hearing, aren't scheduling the hearing, aren't doling out time for the hearing.  Yes, if the GOP was running a hearing on a Dem nominee, they would be all over any issues like gambling, debts, perjury, etc.

But the Dems are working within the constraints imposed by the GOP majority.  It's not an excuse, it's an explanation. 

I think the wild card for the hearing on Thursday are the questions Sen. Harris is going to ask Kavanaugh.  I'm guessing he's not comfortable considering that.  

At minimum, some Dem has to ask him to state, while under oath, some of his "I was just a choir boy" claims from his Fox interview.  There are already people coming out of the woodwork contradicting him on that.

ridski said:

LOST said:
With all due respect if I went to a website where most of the participants were Right Wingers I would see many complaints that the Republicans were not fighting hard enough to get Kavanaugh confirmed and that McConnell should have already held the vote.

From Newt, prominent right-wing hasbeen:
On Tuesday's edition of 'Hannity' Fox News contributor, Newt Gingrich says the Democratic Party is desperate to stop the Supreme Court from being conservative.

"We're watching a period where what we have to understand is this is about raw power," Gingrich declared. "And if the left can stop Kavanaugh we will not get another conservative Justice in our lifetime on the Supreme Court."

"I think what the American people should think is that you have a Democratic party so desperate to stop the Supreme Court from becoming conservative that they are prepared to lie, to smear, to be hysterical, to break Senate rules to do whatever they have to do," Gingrich said.

GOP...find your balls! This ***** and her family are chin-deep in their history of anti-Trump activities. Kavanaugh's mom, a judge, presided over her parent's home foreclosure. These last-minute "guests" at the feeding-frenzy amount to JACK-SQUAT. Trump forecasted Kavanaugh as a possible justice BEFORE he even won the presidency...

and of course the home foreclosure story is false.  The judge ruled in favor of Ford's parents, and they in fact KEPT their house.  I'm not saying Democrats need to lie the way the right wingers do.  But the frustrating thing is that even when the FACTS are on their side the Democrats give up and give in.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/brett-kavanaugh-foreclosure-accuser-parents/

ridski said:

Thanks for sharing.  Normally, we have to go to "Russia Related" to see commentary coming from that line of thinking from the internet on MOL.

nohero said:
Democrats aren't running the hearing, aren't scheduling the hearing, aren't doling out time for the hearing.  Yes, if the GOP was running a hearing on a Dem nominee, they would be all over any issues like gambling, debts, perjury, etc.
But the Dems are working within the constraints imposed by the GOP majority.  It's not an excuse, it's an explanation. 
I think the wild card for the hearing on Thursday are the questions Sen. Harris is going to ask Kavanaugh.  I'm guessing he's not comfortable considering that.  
At minimum, some Dem has to ask him to state, while under oath, some of his "I was just a choir boy" claims from his Fox interview.  There are already people coming out of the woodwork contradicting him on that.

Outside of the hearings, the Democrats should be everywhere talking about Kavanaugh's scandals.  They should be disciplined, saying the same exact things.  They should be calling for FBI investigations, they should be on fire over this.  They shouldn't be doing things like apologizing for protesters and telling Michael Avenatti to put a sock in it.

ml1 said:

and of course the home foreclosure story is false.  The judge ruled in favor of Ford's parents, and they in fact KEPT their house.  I'm not saying Democrats need to lie the way the right wingers do.  But the frustrating thing is that even when the FACTS are on their side the Democrats give up and give in.

Haven't you been reading MOL lately?  Several posters are quite adamant that Snopes can't be trusted.

Should the Dems ask him the same questions he wanted Ken Starr &Co. to ask Clinton?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/20/us/politics/brett-kavanaugh-clinton-starr.html

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthelper/178-kavanaugh-clinton-monica-lewin/9b9a46ab055ee2458fd5/optimized/full.pdf#page=1

Did you tell Monica Lewinsky that she should deny the nature of the relationship that you
and she had?
If Monica Lewinsky says that you agreed to lie about your relationship with her, would
she be lying?
Would Monica Lewinsky be lying if she said that you told her after her name appeared on
the witness list: "You could always say you were coming to see Betty or that you were bringing
me letters"?
If Monica Lewinsky says that you inserted a cigar into her vagina while you were in the
Oval Ofiice area, would she be lying?
If Monica Lewinsky says that you had phone sex with her on approximately 15 occasions,
would she be lying?

If Monica Lewinsky says that on several occasions in the Oval Office area, you used your fingers to stimulate her vagina and bring her to orgasm, would she be lying?
If Monica Lewinsky says that she gave you oral sex on nine occasions in the Oval Office area, would she be lying?

If Monica Lewinsky says that you ejaculated into her mouth on two occasions in the Oval Office area, would she be lying?

If Monica Lewinsky says that on several occasions you had her give her oral sex, made her stop, and then ejaculated into the sink in the bathroom ofi”the Oval Office, would she be lying?

If Monica Lewinsky says that you masturbated into a trashcan in your secretary's office,would she by lying

nohero said:

ml1 said: and of course the home foreclosure story is false.  The judge ruled in favor of Ford's parents, and they in fact KEPT their house.  I'm not saying Democrats need to lie the way the right wingers do.  But the frustrating thing is that even when the FACTS are on their side the Democrats give up and give in.

Haven't you been reading MOL lately?  Several posters are quite adamant that Snopes can't be trusted.

Reality has a well-known liberal bias.

I went to the Snopes link and what was even stranger and funnier was that some Right-wing sources posted pictures of Harvey Weinstein and Bill Clinton with a woman they claimed was Dr. Ford. The woman was actually Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand!!!

ml1 said:

Outside of the hearings, the Democrats should be everywhere talking about Kavanaugh's scandals.  They should be disciplined, saying the same exact things.  They should be calling for FBI investigations, they should be on fire over this.  They shouldn't be doing things like apologizing for protesters and telling Michael Avenatti to put a sock in it.

What do you think of this tactic?

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/26/merkley-injunction-stop-kavanaugh-vote-843080

Avenatti has released the name of the third accuser. If true, the allegations are the most serious yet.  

"In a sworn affidavit, Swetnick — a Washington, D.C. resident — said she was a “victim of one of these ‘gang’ or ‘train’ rapes where Mark Judge and Brett Kavanaugh were present” at a party in Washington D.C., in approximately 1982.

“During the incident, I was incapacitated without my consent and unable to fight off the boys raping me,” she wrote, noting that she shared what happened with “at least two other people” shortly after the incident. “I believe I was drugged using Quaaludes or something similar placed in what I was drinking.”

She said she attended “well over ten house parties” from 1981-1983. Between 1981-1982, she said at these parties she began to notice Judge, Kavanaugh and others would attempt to “‘spike’ the ‘punch’ at house parties I attended with drugs and/or grain alcohol so as to cause girls to lose their inhibitions and their ability to say ‘No.’” 

Kavanaugh and Judge, she said, would “‘target’ particular girls … it was usually a girl that was especially vulnerable because she was alone at the party or shy.” She said she has a “firm recollection” of seeing boys ― including Judge and Kavanaugh ― “lined up outside rooms at many of these parties waiting for their ‘turn’ with a girl inside the room.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/michael-avenatti-third-kavanaugh-accuser_us_5ba8838ce4b069d5f9d43c72

LOST said:

ml1 said:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/26/merkley-injunction-stop-kavanaugh-vote-843080

that's exactly the kind of thing they should be doing.  And Merkley has the added advantage of being completely right.  The White House has indeed obstructed the Senate by withholding information.  

cramer said:
Avenatti has released the name of the third accuser. If true, the allegations are the most serious yet.  
"In a sworn affidavit, Swetnick — a Washington, D.C. resident — said she was a “victim of one of these ‘gang’ or ‘train’ rapes where Mark Judge and Brett Kavanaugh were present” at a party in Washington D.C., in approximately 1982.
“During the incident, I was incapacitated without my consent and unable to fight off the boys raping me,” she wrote, noting that she shared what happened with “at least two other people” shortly after the incident. “I believe I was drugged using Quaaludes or something similar placed in what I was drinking.”
She said she attended “well over ten house parties” from 1981-1983. Between 1981-1982, she said at these parties she began to notice Judge, Kavanaugh and others would attempt to “‘spike’ the ‘punch’ at house parties I attended with drugs and/or grain alcohol so as to cause girls to lose their inhibitions and their ability to say ‘No.’” 
Kavanaugh and Judge, she said, would “‘target’ particular girls … it was usually a girl that was especially vulnerable because she was alone at the party or shy.” She said she has a “firm recollection” of seeing boys ― including Judge and Kavanaugh ― “lined up outside rooms at many of these parties waiting for their ‘turn’ with a girl inside the room.”
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/michael-avenatti-third-kavanaugh-accuser_us_5ba8838ce4b069d5f9d43c72

Recently I told my friend that perhaps the reason Kavanaugh was not behind the idea of an FBI investigation was my hunch that there were some drugs in the story. It was the 80s and I suggested that there might be a little more going on then beer. Quaaludes were one of the first drugs I suspected and here we are.

But with all of this, I just saw a mom with 2 daughters interviewed, not sure if it was Montana, and she blew off the big deal about groping and her daughters nodded, and then came to what I believe is at the heart of the GOP voter. She said if he was pro abortion the Dems would be fine with him.

For many voters, that is at the center of their choice. What they perceive as the evil they are fighting. Nothing else matters to them.

Morganna said:

But with all of this, I just saw a mom with 2 daughters interviewed, not sure if it was Montana, and she blew off the big deal about groping and her daughters nodded, and then came to what I believe is at the heart of the GOP voter. She said if he was pro abortion the Dems would be fine with him.

When a person says that why isn't the next question:

If he were pro abortion how would you feel about the allegations against him?

I don't know LOST, this whole thing is getting disheartening. I watched an episode of The Circus on Showtime and the people at the Trump rally in Florida I believe, were in a rage. Women screaming at Steve Schmidt because he left the GOP and is so eloquently outspoken against Trump. Actually eloquence was not on display. The faces appeared contorted with anger, as if I was looking through a fish eye lens.

I kept wishing that we could have Town Halls were voters from both sides could meet and debate issues.

These rallies are disturbing and Trump just keeps pouring gasoline.

The kind of people who go to such rallies are the kind of people to be in a rage.

I'm old enough to remember crowds spitting at little children just trying to go to school.

And that ridiculous wall calendar that Kavanaugh plans to present as evidence, is he serious?

apple44 said:
And that ridiculous wall calendar that Kavanaugh plans to present as evidence, is he serious?

A few things come to mind.

1.  These sexual assault allegations are not some Democratic delaying tactic.  These are real women who have had enough and can't stomach the prospect of yet another pig of a man being appointed to the SC.  

2.  Brett Kavanaugh is one of the more profoundly selfish men I have seen in some time.  I'm not sure how he will explain all of this to his daughters.  He needs to show some consideration to his family and withdraw from this process.

3.  The rules have changed.  And for all of the people (men mostly) who ask why any man would want to be appointed to the Supreme Court or some other highly scrutinized position, I would say that if they have some sexual misconduct buried in their closet, they shouldn't.  I would also note that there are plenty of good men left.  I noticed that the Republicans never found any personal scandals to hang on BHO.

4.  It is just possible that Democrats really care about sexual misconduct and aren't just playing politics.  After all, Al Franken was shown the door for actions that are on the lower end of the range of things that constitute sexual misconduct.

apple44 said:

I wonder what he got busted for those three Fridays. Not mowing the lawn? Rape? Hard to know.

As someone already observed, it's a pretty good, elite gig being a federal circuit court judge.  Nothing wrong with sticking that out.  Mr. K must be thinking "what the hell did I do to myself?".

ml1 said:

LOST said:

ml1 said:

that's exactly the kind of thing they should be doing.  And Merkley has the added advantage of being completely right.  The White House has indeed obstructed the Senate by withholding information.  

Sorry, but this is just a ridiculous lawsuit.  No court will find that it has the authority to act.  It is a separation of powers issue.  A court might get involved if the Senate were to have subpoenaed the documents and the White House refused to turn them over, but given where we are, it's a sideshow.

Welcome back Eleanor Clift. Missing her since the McLaughlin Group. (On Ari Melber)

What are Kavanaugh's chances now?

Morganna said:
I don't know LOST, this whole thing is getting disheartening. I watched an episode of The Circus on Showtime and the people at the Trump rally in Florida I believe, were in a rage. Women screaming at Steve Schmidt because he left the GOP and is so eloquently outspoken against Trump. Actually eloquence was not on display. The faces appeared contorted with anger, as if I was looking through a fish eye lens.
I kept wishing that we could have Town Halls were voters from both sides could meet and debate issues.
These rallies are disturbing and Trump just keeps pouring gasoline.

This isn't talked about enough.

One day they'll revolt.

Saw part of Trump's rambling and at times incoherent press conference today. On the one hand, he couldn't have praised K more, and called this whole situation a "con job" but he also stated that withdrawing the nomination was a possibility. Also stated he might move the Rod meeting so it doesn't interfere with the focus on the hearings, that was a surprise.

apple44 said:
Also stated he might move the Rod meeting so it doesn't interfere with the focus on the hearings, that was a surprise.

Even a meeting with his enemy won't interfere with his TV-watching-time.

There have been several references to Judge Kavanaugh's perjury in prior testimony. Would somebody please enlighten me as to the subject of the purported perjury, as well as when it occurred.

Thanks for any help in better understanding this matter.

---------------

Are Thursday's to be televised; if so, on which network(s)?

Again, thanks for any help.

TomR

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!