The Kavanaugh Hearing

Tom_R said:
There have been several references to Judge Kavanaugh's perjury in prior testimony. Would somebody please enlighten me as to the subject of the purported perjury, as well as when it occurred.
Thanks for any help in better understanding this matter.
---------------
Are Thursday's to be televised; if so, on which network(s)?
Again, thanks for any help.
TomR

Could be this -

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/09/brett-kavanaugh-lies-senate-testimony-supreme-court.html

I think all your cable news outlets will have Thursday's event live.  I think WNYC is broadcasting it live on the radio.

Coverage of the hearing starts at 10 am and will be all over the place - cable news, maybe broadcast, as well as online sites for the larger newspapers

Thank you both and good night.

TomR

Tom_R said:
There have been several references to Judge Kavanaugh's perjury in prior testimony. Would somebody please enlighten me as to the subject of the purported perjury, as well as when it occurred.
Thanks for any help in better understanding this matter.
---------------
Are Thursday's to be televised; if so, on which network(s)?
Again, thanks for any help.
TomR

-- On CNN, Wolf Blitzer and Jake Tapper will anchor starting at 8:30... CNN's cable coverage will be live streamed on CNN.com, no login needed...
 -- On Fox News, Bret Baier and Martha MacCallum will anchor starting at 9...
 -- NBC's special coverage will start at 9:30, with Lester Holt, Savannah Guthrie, Chuck Todd, Megyn Kelly and Andrea Mitchell...
 -- ABC's special will start at 10... George Stephanopoulos in NYC, David Muir in DC...
 -- CBS's morning and evening shows will both be live from DC. Norah O'Donnell will be on Capitol Hill. At 10, O'Donnell, Gayle King, John Dickerson and Jeff Glor will co-anchor the special...

Fox coverage begins at 7pm with O.J. Simpson, Matt Lauer, Bill O’Reilly and Brian Kilmeade, who has nothing to hide. Nothing.

#nothingtohidekilmeade

Thanks for the morning giggle ridski.

Let's have a fair hearing that focuses on the accused, the accuser and the allegation. No Spartacus moments please Cory.  

Wow.  This is already looking like Anita Hill revisited.  Grassley has already made up his mind, of course.

Grassley is going on and on that an FBI investigation wouldn't be worth anything.  I have no words to describe how low that is when the complaining witness is sitting in front of him.  She deserves the dignity of having her claim investigated, and that's what the FBI does.  The GOP position is loathsome.

I hope Grassley's attitude results in a great video clip that can be used to energize woman before the midterms. 

Who wants to hear Grassley or Feinstein bloviate. Blah blah blah. Come on let's get to it.

Barring some major stumble, Kavanaugh is toast. Accuser is very credible. 

Smedley said:
Who wants to hear Grassley or Feinstein bloviate. Blah blah blah. Come on let's get to it.

Both were setting the scene.  Feinstein was properly pointing out the need for an investigation, a proper investigation, as opposed to the hearing about to take place.

Grassley was claiming there was no need to give Dr. Blasey Ford the courtesy and dignity of a legitimate investigation.

I don't equate the two.

Both preached to their respective choirs. 

Anyone asking for a proper investigation of such serious allegations is speaking to the reasonable fair people in the audience.  I guess one could consider that group to be Feinstein's "choir."

Grassley, on the other hand, is addressing the partisan hacks.

So far, Dr. Ford seems very credible. Have to say the prosecutor seems to be a smart choice on the part of the Republicans, very polite, seems like a "nice" Midwestern woman who could be a mom or minister or both.

Wow, Leahy coming forward and basically saying Grassley is wrong and there should be an FBI investigation. 

Ford needs to stop saying "hippocampus" referring to memory functions. I believe her, but am sure many others watching will see what they want to see - an elitist intellectual professor who attended East Coast schools, etc.

apple44 said:
So far, Dr. Ford seems very credible. Have to say the prosecutor seems to be a smart choice on the part of the Republicans, very polite, seems like a "nice" Midwestern woman who could be a mom or minister or both.
Wow, Leahy coming forward and basically saying Grassley is wrong and there should be an FBI investigation. 
Ford needs to stop saying "hippocampus" referring to memory functions. I believe her, but am sure many others watching see what they want to see - an elitist intellectual professor who attended East Coast schools, etc.

Agreed.   No one is going to be swayed by neuroscience.  Otherwise, she's been great.

Round 1 to Dr. Ford.

jeffl said:
Round 1 to Dr. Ford.

Agreed.

And what a dumb process. When I first heard about the prosecutor, I didn't realize she would be held to 5 minutes. How is she supposed to do anything in depth.

And Grassley seems angry.

GOP Senators don't have any good questions really. Lindsey Graham was asking her to identify her house on a map or something? Not sure where that was going. 

As I've been saying I think Kavanaugh is toast and GOP will have to cut bait. The cost of "plowing right through" will be too high. 

I would love to see McConnell eat his words.

Ford has been credible from the start because she has nothing to gain from coming forward and a lot to lose.  The people defending Kavanaugh have only a few really implausible possibilities on their side:

• The attack didn't happen at all.  This would mean Ford is either delusional or lying.  And if she's lying, she's nothing short of an evil person.  Who else would knowingly make up such a story?
  • The attack did happen, but Kavanaugh wasn't the attacker.  Pretty implausible that Ford would recall a true event but get it wrong about the central fact of who the guys were that engaged in the attack.  

The other reasons Ford is credible are related to the fact that Mark Judge himself, and Kavanaugh himself in their recollections of the time tell stories of heavy drinking.  The extemporaneous accounts in their yearbook allude to heavy drinking as well as a culture of mistreating girls.

All of it adds up to a very convincing story.  And Kavanaugh has not helped his own credibility by obviously lying about his behavior during his youth.  If he had at least owned up to participating in a hard-drinking party culture, he could have retained some credibility in denying the attack.  But by pretending he was a choirboy in high school, he's undermined himself.

Smedley said:
GOP Senators don't have any good questions really. Lindsey Graham was asking her to identify her house on a map or something? Not sure where that was going. 
As I've been saying I think Kavanaugh is toast and GOP will have to cut bait. The cost of "plowing right through" will be too high. 
I would love to see McConnell eat his words.

At this point, I won't bet against anybody supported by Trump until I see them dead with a wooden stake through their heart.  Remember, we are talking about a group of people who are very good at denying all manner of scientific (global warming) and economic realities (global economy).  Believing this is a Democratic con-job seems like no great leap to me.

Sheldon Whitehouse! 

apple44 said:
Ford needs to stop saying "hippocampus" referring to memory functions. I believe her, but am sure many others watching will see what they want to see - an elitist intellectual professor who attended East Coast schools, etc.

Why is an "Eastern professor" either less credible or invalid in any way?

peaceinourtime said:

apple44 said:

google "coastal elite"

ml1 said:

peaceinourtime said:

apple44 said:

google "coastal elite"

Baloney. Coastal shmoastal. Rape is rape. Assault is assault. Overpowering is overpowering. Credible is credible. You will discover that being "coastal" will be a non-issue. 

cramer said:
Sheldon Whitehouse! 

Shelly's the best. Biggest hole in this affair is the guy (Judge) hiding out at the beach. Agree that Graham isn't very impressive. Enjoyed the quote from his book, however. Grassley seems more interested in defending his process than dealing with charge.

peaceinourtime said:

ml1 said:

peaceinourtime said:

apple44 said:

google "coastal elite"
 Baloney. Coastal shmoastal. Rape is rape. Assault is assault. Overpowering is overpowering. Credible is credible. You will discover that being "coastal" will be a non-issue. 

I wasn't the one who made that assumption, just pointing you to info on why someone might make that statement.

With regard to credibility -- plenty of people have already decided Dr. Ford isn't credible before she even gave her public testimony.  As to why, I can only speculate.  But I'd put partisanship right up there as a reason.

ml1 said:

peaceinourtime said:

ml1 said:

peaceinourtime said:

apple44 said:

google "coastal elite"
 I wasn't the one who made that assumption, just pointing you to info on why someone might make that statement.
With regard to credibility -- plenty of people have already decided Dr. Ford isn't credible before she even gave her public testimony.  As to why, I can only speculate.  But I'd put partisanship right up there as a reason.

Yup, well those partisans can Google "hippocampus." Maybe learn something.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!