The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

jimmurphy said:

Glad others are still doing this.

I try to play just about every day.  Except for, maybe, weekends when I try to avoid turning on the computer if I can.  A 'break from screen' time, if you will.

marksierra said:

jimmurphy said:

Glad others are still doing this.

I try to play just about every day.  Except for, maybe, weekends when I try to avoid turning on the computer if I can.  A 'break from screen' time, if you will.

I play almost every day.  I get "genius" level maybe half the time or more.  There are certain groups of letters that stump me much more than others.  

yahooyahoo said:

I play almost every day.  I get "genius" level maybe half the time or more.  There are certain groups of letters that stump me much more than others.  

I'm at about that level, maybe a little lower. It really frustrates me when I see the words I missed, too.

I play every day, but sometimes I can invest more time in it and usually that means a higher score, but not always.

Today, i think i'm setting a record for "Not in word list."

mjc said:

Today, i think i'm setting a record for "Not in word list."

Very tough.  This is normally one that I'd try for QB on, but no way.

jimmurphy said:

Very tough.  This is normally one that I'd try for QB on, but no way.

very tough, indeed, but I just kept plugging away at it and managed to make it to QB earlier. Now I'm at 20/85 and am probably done for the day. I play every day and set my goal at QB, a goal which is usually realistic and attainable for me.

alha said:

very tough, indeed, but I just kept plugging away at it and managed to make it to QB earlier. Now I'm at 20/85 and am probably done for the day. I play every day and set my goal at QB, a goal which is usually realistic and attainable for me.

Do you mean Genius? If you are at 20/85 you are not at Queen Bee (QB).

jimmurphy said:

Do you mean Genius? If you are at 20/85 you are not at Queen Bee (QB).

ooh, major oops on my part....I certainly meant Genius. QB is such a rarity for me that I'd never set that as my goal. I'm happy when I make it to Genius, which thankfully is most days. I've made QB less than a handful of times and don't expect that to change any time soon or any time ever.

Very frustrating today.  Got pangram as the first word, but after that never got beyond Nice. confused

Did anyone get mollycoddle yesterday?  grin

jamie said:

Did anyone get mollycoddle yesterday? 
grin

nope

jamie said:

grin

I remembered it from a previous time, when I missed it grin

I've started to use the community/hints page, but my self-made rules are that I have to hit genius before I'm allowed to.

yep...but even with it, I missed QB yesterday by one word, doomy.

alha said:

yep...but even with it, I missed QB yesterday by one word, doomy.

That's a stupid word.

“Doomy” is exactly the sort of word I would think I was making up as I furiously typed random letter combinations at the Amazing level in a desperate attempt to get to Genius. (Except I didn’t.)

oots said:

jamie said:

grin

nope

Nope.  But I still managed to squeak by and reach "genius."

jamie said:

grin

Yep!

i have been struggling bigly the past few days

Me as well. Got to genius today for the first time in days.

KarenMarlowe said:

Queen Bee yesterday.
grin

congrats! question I came so close to joining you but missed amyl

Congrats! Still working on it!

alha said:

congrats!
question
I came so close to joining you but missed amyl

Yeah, what the hell. Amyl is merely a modifier or prefix for a longer chemical name. Amyl nitrate? How come all kinds of other partial chemical names get rejected? I am just plain steamed. Dang it!

PeterWick said:

alha said:

congrats!
question
I came so close to joining you but missed amyl

Yeah, what the hell. Amyl is merely a modifier or prefix for a longer chemical name. Amyl nitrate? How come all kinds of other partial chemical names get rejected? I am just plain steamed. Dang it!

I have to admit, I had to use NYT Spelling Bee hints, which said there was one word I was missing starting with AM. I tried so many combinations; I would have never gotten it without that hint.

Amyl was my last word yesterday. Had to get to Queen because my son already had. Same thing happened today. I never would have pushed for the last two words if he hadn’t already gotten there. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!