The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

alha said:

yahooyahoo said:

I got Queen Bee today.  I went for it after reading Heynj's post.

The hints helped me find the last 4 or 5.

Congrats for yesterday's QB. I missed it by three...two which I should have gotten, tofu and tuffet, and one which I've never heard of, etouffee, a word totally unknown to me...no doubt due to my very skimpy knowledge of Cajun cuisine.

I missed it by two: tofu and tuffet. I knew etouffee, but it took me about four tries to spell it correctly. 

jimmurphy said:

ml1 said:

The weird thing for me this past week or so has been that I got the pangram with my first word about 5 times. The word has just been jumping out at me when I look at the puzzle. 

but not today…

nope.  I got it but I was about 20 words in before I did

KarenMarlowe said:

alha said:

yahooyahoo said:

Congrats for yesterday's QB. I missed it by three...two which I should have gotten, tofu and tuffet, and one which I've never heard of, etouffee, a word totally unknown to me...no doubt due to my very skimpy knowledge of Cajun cuisine.

I missed it by two: tofu and tuffet. I knew etouffee, but it took me about four tries to spell it correctly. 

tuffet was my last word grin

ml1 said:

KarenMarlowe said:

alha said:

yahooyahoo said:

tuffet was my last word
grin

It took me about 6 or 7 tries to spell etouffee.

yahooyahoo said:

ml1 said:

KarenMarlowe said:

alha said:

yahooyahoo said:

tuffet was my last word
grin

It took me about 6 or 7 tries to spell etouffee.

I think I needed two tries.  I think my first version only had one f.

I was etouffee away from Queen. Sigh.

apologies if this was already asked, but -- I thought a "bingo" pangram meant using all seven letters without repeating any to start a word.  Today's pangram was labeled as a bingo, but a letter was repeated before the seventh letter was used.  So what does bingo mean if not that?

ml1 said:

apologies if this was already asked, but -- I thought a "bingo" pangram meant using all seven letters without repeating any to start a word.  Today's pangram was labeled as a bingo, but a letter was repeated before the seventh letter was used.  So what does bingo mean if not that?

Bingo and pangram are two separate things as I found out by reading the Glossary of Spelling Bee Terms here: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/26/crosswords/spelling-bee-forum-introduction.html?action=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article

a bingo is a subset of pangrams.  And from the glossary it says:

BINGO — All seven letters in the puzzle are used to start at least one word in the word list.

I take that to mean all seven letters are the first seven letters of a word.  But today's puzzle says there's a bingo, but the only pangram (without giving it away) repeats one letter before you use the seventh.

ml1 said:

I take that to mean all seven letters are the first seven letters of a word.  But today's puzzle says there's a bingo, but the only pangram (without giving it away) repeats one letter before you use the seventh.

I have a different take on the definition...I take it to mean that all 7 letters are the first letter of at least one word in the puzzle. In other words, each of the 7 letters starts at least one word.

alha said:

I have a different take on the definition...I take it to mean that all 7 letters are the first letter of at least one word in the puzzle. In other words, each of the 7 letters starts at least one word.

Ah!

grin

Meanwhile I’m at 49/156 and can’t find the Pangram. Grr…

Jinxed myself by mentioning that I saw them right away over the last week.

Betting it’s a compound word…

Don't let it weigh you down.

jimmurphy said:

Meanwhile I’m at 49/156 and can’t find the Pangram. Grr…

Jinxed myself by mentioning that I saw them right away over the last week.

Betting it’s a compound word…

indeed it was a compound word.  Late rock & roll star.

I got all 60 yesterday, but was stuck at 58 for the longest time.  The next-to-last word I got had me shaking my head that it took me that long.  It's a common word, it was in a puzzle not too long ago, but most of all it's my friend's last name. 

vampire

First time in quite a while. Snuck up on me.

I’m stuck at 77 points today 

jimmurphy said:

congrats  question I'm still waiting for my first QB of the year. 

alha said:

jimmurphy said:

congrats 
question
I'm still waiting for my first QB of the year. 

Congratulations! I was one word shy! I've gotten QB once this year so far.

I am absolutely stumped with one word left today.  I can't even find it in a Scrabble dictionary.  I'm sure when I see the answer tomorrow I'll be kicking myself for not getting it.

just got the QB -- the last word was an alternative spelling of a word I already had.  It was like a light bulb went on for me grin

ml1 said:

just got the QB -- the last word was an alternative spelling of a word I already had.  It was like a light bulb went on for me
grin

Gah! I am nine words short!

maybe it was discussed already, but does everyone else use the hints?  I try to get about half the words without, but then I go to the hints because I don't want to be going down blind alleys. If I didn't use the hints I think it would be impossible to get much past halfway.

ml1 said:

maybe it was discussed already, but does everyone else use the hints?  I try to get about half the words without, but then I go to the hints because I don't want to be going down blind alleys. If I didn't use the hints I think it would be impossible to get much past halfway.

No hints for me. I tried a few times, got QB once and it didn’t feel right.  But I get it, saves precious time.

Edited to add that I am certain that ml1 could get well-past halfway with more time invested.  That's the big wild card, since there's no clock.

Upside of Hints is that i've hit QB a few times (with zero guilt).  Downside is that i spend even more time than before with Spelling Bee (that's where the guilt, or anyhow head-shaking, comes in).

So I decided not to use hints today (I did check the number of possible words).  So far I'm at Genius, two words short of QB.  Think I picked the right day to go without hints grin

mjc said:

Upside of Hints is that i've hit QB a few times (with zero guilt).  Downside is that i spend even more time than before with Spelling Bee (that's where the guilt, or anyhow head-shaking, comes in).

If I use the hints, in a typical week I get Genius about 5 days, and at least one QB, sometimes a couple.  The hints are incredibly helpful.

ml1 said:

So I decided not to use hints today (I did check the number of possible words).  So far I'm at Genius, two words short of QB.  Think I picked the right day to go without hints
grin

How do you know that you are 2 words short?  2 or 3 points away from double-amazing?

jimmurphy said:

How do you know that you are 2 words short?  2 or 3 points away from double-amazing?

Click on Today's Hints and scroll down a bit to see the total words and total points for QB.

ml1 said:

If I use the hints, in a typical week I get Genius about 5 days, and at least one QB, sometimes a couple.  The hints are incredibly helpful.

I make it to Genius just about every day. I might miss it once a month, if that often. I seldom use the hints, only when I'm beyond double Great and stand a chance of getting to QB...and only to see how many more words I need. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.