The Vestibular Monologues: Pottery and Pilates

Peggy, that is wonderful news, I knew something good was going to happen!:cheer::clap::swingin:

I still have to see if the pay would be better than collecting unemployment, assuming they offer it to me. I've got my fingers crossed. And my toes.

Come to think of it, if the pay ISN'T as good as collecting unemployment, would NJ department of labor be willing to supplement, since this is freelance work, not full-time?

Wow, PeggyC! But is it an AUTHORIZED F2F?

Hauscat, please note I did not use "MOL" in conjunction with the "F2F" reference, thereby rendering it harmless and without stain.

Thank you.

Peggy,

I think you can still get unemployment (discounted for the $ you make at the freelance job) Talk to them.
My friend's husband is a writer who has been unemployed for a while---he has been taking some (believe it or not) copywriting freelance work, yet he is still collecting because the $ is intermittent.

That's what I was thinking, Calli, although it would be a bureaucratic nightmare and a horror at tax time; I guess as long as I keep it well documented and talk to the unemployment people along the way (shudder) it should be OK.

You can keep getting unemployment as long as you don't take a full time job. You put your hours in bi-weekly. If you work during one of those weeks you put down how many hours you worked and how much you got paid. They also ask you the name of the company you worked for. They give you the difference between what you earned and your weekly rate.

That's what I thought. Thanks for the info, Calli and Nan.

Sorry to have been out of the loop! Peggy, best of luck with the freelance gig interview. I would take it if they offer it because you never know where it will lead and you can still collect until you go staff again, as others have said. I regret not doing that last time I was unemployed.

I have every intention of taking it if they make the offer. The last woman who worked this "freelance" gig for this company was there fore more than 20 years. Evidently it's a pretty good place to work. And even if it's very seasonal, which is how it sounds, I can try to fill in with other things along the way, maybe some of the entrepreneurial stuff we've been considering, maybe get the education courses under my belt and substitute teach before doing that full-time.

Yippee!! Good luck at the F2F Peggy. It sounds like it could be a fun job! (or at least interesting)

Oh PeggyC this sounds so perfect for you at this time. You go girl! Best wishes from me!

I second all of the congrats. I, too, would take it and supplement -- a gig on the resume and all that. Good deal, Peggy!

No congratulations yet, you'll jinx it! I have to get through an interview tomorrow and past the other finalists. Just keep your fingers crossed for me. :flowers:

Fingers crossed, also toes on the unbooted foot.

Positive thoughts all day for ya!

Excellent developments... I spoke today with a friend who was a source for many stories on my last job, and she is a VP with one of the top research firms in the country. She's putting me in touch with the department that handles the writing of their reports, and they are most likely going to give me some freelance assignments. Also, am in touch with someone at a major teaching and research hospital that is reorganizing a department and might add a team of grant writers.

Many irons in the fire, and some seem to be heating up a bit. Yay. Cause for optimism that all will not be abject poverty and state-provided charity. Phew.

Posted By: PeggyCMany irons in the fire, and some seem to be heating up a bit. Yay. Cause for optimism that all will not be abject poverty and state-provided charity. Phew.

Sheesh.
Here I was going to give you my speech about tempering expectations while remaining optimistic etc. but you've already lapped me several times in a short week.
crap I hate my stoopid industry!!

Lars, don't blame yourself, it's not easy keeping up with my mood loops. :wink:

But yes, this industry sucks in all caps. SUCKS. That's why I'm looking outside it as much as I can.

Posted By: PeggyCLars, don't blame yourself, it's not easy keeping up with my mood loops.

But yes, this industry sucks in all caps. SUCKS. That's why I'm looking outside it as much as I can.

maybe we ALL hate our stoopid industries (TM) and should just swap jobs.
anyone want to be a marginalized childrenswear designer?

I suspect maybe a lot of us just hate this stoopid economy. (tm)

Um, what's in the water this week? I just got TWO email messages.

One was from the woman in charge of report writing at the big research firm I mentioned that might need freelance help. She definitely wants to talk to me.

The other message was from a former boss of mine, who supervised me on the last job I held before the one that just laid me off. Another editor has left, and she wants to know if I'm interested.

Holy freakin' cow. I can't believe all the stuff I've got in play now.

:shocked:

now you're just showin' off!!!

Yeah, well, we'll see if anything comes of any of this. But I have to say, I'm absolutely stunned. Particularly to hear from my former boss. That one just about knocked me out of my chair.

It's really encouraging to have so much buzz going on with this search. I was desperately afraid there'd be nothing but crickets for awhile and that I'd be floundering for leads.

and, um, I've got an interview with, uh, Screaming Baby Corp. tonight.
They make giant piles of wet diapers...
Apparently it's a two-year gig.
wish me luck!!

PeggyC, i'm not sure how much you believe in fate, and that when one door slams you in the face another opens, but one ugly arsed door shut on you and a whole load of nicely painted doors seem to be opening up for you just asking you to walk through them.

Seems to me that someone, somewhere or something, it looking out for you right now, and it's lovely to see that someone like you gets a little something good come their way.

Regards
Mystic Mamma

Aw, shucks, Mystic Mamma. :flowers:

Lars, I would offer to help, but that's a freelance gig I don't think I can manage... :rolling:

yeah, the pay sucks, also.

Long-term dividends are hard to beat, though. :wink:

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!