Things it took me too long to learn. Please add to the list.

Shakespeare: Heat not a furnace so hot that it doth singe thee. Or something like that. Translation, getting mad generally hurts you more than anyone else. Also, road courtesy > road rage. I said that.

newstead77 said:

You can always bring less stuff on a vacation - and buy it there if needed.

Except for a bathing suit (unless you have a flawless figure). Never forget that.

Almost all of these pearls of wisdom need to be learned the it-took-me-too-long-to-learn way. No amount of advising, preaching, cajoling, and pleading is likely to help your kids learn them any sooner than the years-later recognition that mom/dad was right after all.

tom said:

Travel.

Yes. A thousand times, yes.

Most of the things I have worried about never happened.

Never save things for special occasions.

Act as if you only have this moment, because that is all you've got.

Books are the greatest things ever invented by man; everything comes from books.

We control no one.

Church's Kitchen on SA!

jeffl said:

Church's Kitchen on SA!

It really doesn't take long to learn this. One meal, tops.

DottyParker said:

Never save things for special occasions.

^^^ yup wink

Hahaha said:

Math is important in all aspects of life.

And no matter how much you hated word problems in school, in real life ALL math problems are word problems.

Don't spend a lot of time looking for something. They usually turn up!

It's amazing how much my father learned between MY late teens and early twenties...Who'd a thunk it?

Women always tell me I'm wrong but guys do not care about or notice women's shoes.

I guess that's thread drift. Sorry.

I'll turn that around for you, jeffl:

Don't wear shoes that kill/ruin your feet just to attract men. Guys that find that attractive care more about their own arousal than your comfort and ability to walk.

Kennedy did not have a secretary named Lincoln.

Take what is offered -- eat what you take -- never have a second helping.

No matter how horrible a work project is going, it will eventually finish and you will move on.

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me

never let go of anything too close to an edge
the power of gravity is too strong

dont chew an Alka-Seltzer!!

Don't wear white when you are cooking Indian food.

The grass is not greener.

My mom's advise. Priceless, and extremely handy in what seems like the the most dire of circumstances. " Uch. pay no attention."

When you drop a stitch in knitting, don't panic, and make no sudden moves. While remaining motionless, slowly examine the situation and see what must be done to resolve it without creating a real disaster. Carefully take steps to rectify the problems and recover the stitch.

This applies to a LOT more areas of life than you might think.

kat said:

Don't wear white when you are cooking Indian food.

I just today got a curry stain on my white shirt!! Why didn't I read this sooner!

jasper said:

Almost all of these pearls of wisdom need to be learned the it-took-me-too-long-to-learn way. No amount of advising, preaching, cajoling, and pleading is likely to help your kids learn them any sooner than the years-later recognition that mom/dad was right after all.

So true! I offer advice to my children and they are, like, "meh!"

My Mom would be rolling over in her grave if she knew how much I pay attention now. LOL

the love of a good dog makes life better

marylago said:

jasper said:

So true! I offer advice to my children and they are, like, "meh!"

My kids always say, "I know, I know, I know." To which I have always replied, "Knowing and doing are two different things." How much do you want to bet they end up saying that to their kids? ;-)

This morning, as I was leaving for work, I suggested to my son that he try to do something that actually results in a discernible difference between the beginning of the day and the end. Well, he folded his laundry, so I guess that's something. But I get plenty of "I know, I know, I know", too, so you're not alone.

I had to laugh. The other day while walking in Maplewood Village, I overheard a harried mom saying "Calm down" to her tearful toddler, and I thought, just wait. In a few more years, as you're harassing your teenager about something you want them to do or not do, they'll be saying to you, "Mom, calm down!" in an exasperated, you're-so-annoying tone that will almost make you wistful for those whiny, wailing days.

Lots of times, more isn't better. It's just more.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!