Things it took me too long to learn. Please add to the list.

Some nachos are neater than others.

Not all chalk is delible.

jasper said:

This morning, as I was leaving for work, I suggested to my son that he try to do something that actually results in a discernible difference between the beginning of the day and the end. Well, he folded his laundry, so I guess that's something. But I get plenty of "I know, I know, I know", too, so you're not alone.

I had to laugh. The other day while walking in Maplewood Village, I overheard a harried mom saying "Calm down" to her tearful toddler, and I thought, just wait. In a few more years, as you're harassing your teenager about something you want them to do or not do, they'll be saying to you, "Mom, calm down!" in an exasperated, you're-so-annoying tone that will almost make you wistful for those whiny, wailing days.

Hahahaha! So true...and my daughter is 30 and still says that to me! Sigh... ;-)

Cava, Prosecco, Champagne

I don't know how to put this, but I came late to the understanding of the concept of "institutions," in the broadest sense of the word, and how they mutate over time. Irrationally, I always find myself assuming that they exist, have existed, and will continue to exist in exactly the state they're in when I first discover them.

The town where I grew up is not the same town as it is today. The college I attended is different now than the one I remember. The trees in the park have either grown or died. The committee I was on has all new members and a new direction.

The town, the college, the park, and the committee all still exist -- they're institutions -- but as others have noted, things change.

The effort to make a fire (in the fireplace) is always worth it.

Last one for the year: Why did it take me so long to figure out that aprons are an essential kitchen aid, for men and women. Why ever cook without one?

The apron question is a very good one. I don't know why I usually don't think to get one out, and often end up with stained shirts as a result. LOL

I feel I would wear an apron more often if I had a place to hang it, but our kitchen is so chock-a-block with stuff that there really isn't a spot for it, so I have to get it out of the cupboard just outside the kitchen, and then fold it back in there, which is a pain.

Remember the old "housecoats" your mother and grandmother wore? Well, at least mine did. The kind with the snaps down the front. Most modern aprons don't really provide coverage of the upper chest and arms. One good sauce splatter, and it's all over.

I have a few nice aprons but I only wear them when I am cooking for company-- i.e., when I am having a party. Otherwise, I don't really care if I spill on my "play clothes." I will wear one if I am canning tomatoes or cranberries though...

doulamomma said:

the love of a good dog makes life better

+ 1

marksierra said:

doulamomma said:

the love of a good dog makes life better

+ 1

+2 And loving a good dog ain't so bad either...

Never go to bed angry with your spouse.

Bite your tongue before telling an adult child, "I told you what you were doing/planning was wrong" as reality proves that you were indeed right!

If you need a brunch scrambled egg recipe ASAP, just go on MOL!

Two times in the last month I spouted off to a niece and a nephew instead of holding my tongue and thinking things out. I was right both times but did things the wrong way and now have two beloved relatives pissed at me. So, I am writing to both (snail mail/handwritten) to try and make amends and will not mention I told you so, but rather, how wrong I was to mind their business.

Resentment, umbrage, bitterness, invective, etc., are exhausting. Wish I had learned sooner to take all the breathers I can get.

jeffl said:

Play catch with your child for as many years as they'll allow. There are few things that are as much fun as that.

Amen.

Maintaining good relationships with those you love is far more important than "being right."

Keep a wooden spoon in the pasta water to keep it from boiling over the top.

dave-you can also keep the wooden spoon balanced on the edge of the pot and it will not boil over and the handle will not get so hot that you cannot use it....

Rice cookers. Am I right, Dave?

You are better off without the toxic people in your life.

If you see a piece of artwork you really like, buy it. You won't regret it.

dave said:

No rice cookers.

Wow! I'm shocked. What's the reasoning?

Every year Yogi Berra makes more and more sense to me:

1. "When you see a fork in the road, -take it".

2. "It's really hard to make predictions, especially about the future".

You can hear a lot just by listening.

jeffl said:

dave said:

No rice cookers.

Wow! I'm shocked. What's the reasoning?

Because if you are used to making rice you don't need another device.

Amen Dave!!!! When I took Chinese cooking classes at CHS 33 years ago the teacher taught us to make perfect rice and I have never wavered from her instructions. No fail!

hauscat said:

+1 twice! (I could have written both if those!)

kmk said:

hauscat said:

+1 twice! (I could have written both if those!)

Me too. And I think the second one also applies to jewelry.

Why did it take me so long to learn the PrintScreen function on my PC?

jeffl said:

Why did it take me so long to learn the PrintScreen function on my PC?

The snipping tool is awesome!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!