Things it took me too long to learn. Please add to the list.

If you are serious about learning baseball nuances, Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling are great at that when they do Mets games. Tim McCarver, who many can't stand, is also someone interesting to listen to. But I'm not sure where you can do that. He's going to broadcast 30 St. Louis Cardinal games this year. Does anyone know if he still does national broadcasts?

I can't help you with basketball. Marv Alpert? Is he still around?

2 words re: baseball: Vin Scully

lanky said:

Touché.

Gonna keep flogging this thread:

Huntley Tavern has the best burger around. $13. After going there 300 times, I found this out. My search is over. It's on the bar menu along with fantastic bar pies!

It has taken me 2.5 years to realize that I really, really miss owning a house. The two apts that we have lived in are fine but I want my own house damn it-where I can do what I want to it. The end.

lanky said:

My son met him last weekend out in L.A. He spoke to the whole team - memory as sharp as a tack with fantastic stories.

To say I was jealous is a huge understatement.

Thanks BGS and Jim! I was feeling so lonesome.

"If you start a fight, be prepared to get your ass kicked"

Threading is better than waxing.

Learning to love yourself is the greatest love of all.

drift:

jimmurphy said: "My son met him last weekend out in L.A."

Most intense envy here!! I hope your son enjoyed it. Vin Scully is absolutely the sound of summer and the sound of baseball to me, going back farther in time and farther away than I want to think about.

end drift

locowolfy said:

"If you start a fight, be prepared to get your ass kicked"

On fighting a bully:

"You don't have to win. You just have to fight hard enough that he doesn't ever want to fight you again."

I wish I had known about this option between "winning" and "losing" a fight. It would have been very liberating. (And I would have probably fought better/harder, when I did fight.)

Don't frown because it's over...smile because it happened.

bgs said:

It has taken me 2.5 years to realize that I really, really miss owning a house. The two apts that we have lived in are fine but I want my own house damn it-where I can do what I want to it. The end.

That's not very long for a big realization! But will you act on it? oh oh

Think forward,. For example, when your child selects a spouse. Give the new spouse some room to adjust to the new family dynamics, they selected your child so they have some great qualities. One day, this spouse may becomes the parents of your adored grandchildren.

PeggyC said:

bgs said:

That's not very long for a big realization! But will you act on it? oh oh

That's just long enough to forget what a nightmare it can be to own a house. grin

Don't waste your money on an expensive convertible roadster if it is your only car and you live somewhere that has cold snowy winters. Premium gasoline, low profile tires that were prone to getting flats, lightweight rear wheel drive that left me stranded in the snow, no back seat for passengers or purchases, expensive repairs and few opportunities to put the top down, led me to trade in the car after three years. When I purchased it, I thought I would own it forever. A convertible was always my dream car, but not so in reality.

Practice doesn't make perfect. Practice makes permanent.

You will embarrass your teenager no matter what you do so you may as well do what matters to you.

sitting on the beach with a bonfire, a guitar, and my in-laws and nieces is one of the most perfect things ever.

Learn to play golf. It is a sport you can play your entire life.

Live music is good for the soul. Not so much the ears.

If you move to New England, NEVER buy another car that doesn't have four-wheel drive or all-wheel drive. And invest in real snow tires BEFORE the first snowfall.

jersey_boy said:

On fighting a bully:

"You don't have to win. You just have to fight hard enough that he doesn't ever want to fight you again."

I wish I had known about this option between "winning" and "losing" a fight. It would have been very liberating. (And I would have probably fought better/harder, when I did fight.)

You bring back a memory from 11th grade. I hit a bully, which surprised even me. He hit me back, and then a student and our teacher separated us. The guy was super respectful to me from then on. It wasn't that I hurt him, just that I was man enough to make a statement. It was downright weird, and I didn't understand his new attitude towards me until many years later.

I learned that no matter the bad things people say about me...I am pretty much a good person.

Through Special Olympics, I learned that even in losing, is to have fun.

I have started to learn that it's better to walk away from a fight than stand there yelling and screaming(it's a work in progress with me on this one).

I have learned that I can have an absolutely different opinion and not care what others say about it.

In my abstract art, I have learned to think outside the box, and hopefully it has taught others to do the same.

PetuniaBird said:

Don't waste your money on an expensive convertible roadster if it is your only car and you live somewhere that has cold snowy winters. Premium gasoline, low profile tires that were prone to getting flats, lightweight rear wheel drive that left me stranded in the snow, no back seat for passengers or purchases, expensive repairs and few opportunities to put the top down, led me to trade in the car after three years. When I purchased it, I thought I would own it forever. A convertible was always my dream car, but not so in reality.

Funny. I leased a 2 seater convertible when I was 29 and when the lease expired I bought one. Until the wife came along with her sensible car, this was my only car. Even though I agree with most of your points if I could do things over again, I would have bought the car even earlier, and a sailboat too.

For what it's worth, the car is now sitting in the garage. Last year it went out 4 times. And I was just running a trickle charger over the weekend to keep the battery charged.

I have learned that I can relax and go with the flow. My eldest son has just gone through a bone marrow transplant and after only two weeks is at home with his wife and 4 children, resting. The world is at peace for me, no matter what comes.

I have learned that when I email or text my sons I ALWAYS include their spouses in the "To:" address.

@oneofthe girls - sending good wishes for your son's continued recovery and the ability to spend time with his family.

soresident said:

@oneofthe girls - sending good wishes for your son's continued recovery and the ability to spend time with his family.

And as above so am I, sending prayers and good vibes for your son and his family, and you too!

Oh my goodness. Thank you ladies. He told me it takes 100 days for the destruction of his immune system., the adding of the stem cells and then the long recovery of his immune system. The prayers and good vibes are working for all of us. Thank you. He is resting now so the journey continues.

Oh, my. I didn't know about the bone marrow transplant, OOTG. I hope he makes a speed recovery and is trouble-free going forward.

As to things I learned a bit late in the game: Give up on defending indefensible positions. It just makes you look silly. smile

Thanks Peggyc and your lesson learned fits right in with our lives going forward.

If you are taking care of a parent or elderly relative, stay organized,familiarize yourself with whats involved with spending down assets and record keeping. Know where birth cert. and SS card is as well as 5 years of docs on any bank accts. And thats just the tip of the iceberg.Get organized and stay organized.Its hard to do as the years roll by and the paperwork builds up. Remember to cull from time to time. And do your kids a favor and stay organized yourself.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.