Tropical Storm Warning ENDED for the Jersey Shore and Eastern Essex County: Tropical Storm Hermine

I rode my bike to work, up along the Hudson from lower Manhattan to the Bronx today. The headwinds were brutal. This storm is hundreds of miles away, whipping its edge southward on the coast. It is diminished from its previous state, and it is still packing a heck of a lot of energy. It hasn't done any damage, and it won't do any. We missed a storm that could have been a tragic disaster. I'm still shaken up by Sandy, four years ago. Another of that magnitude will come before long. Are we ready?

Tom_Reingold said:

I rode my bike to work, up along the Hudson from lower Manhattan to the Bronx today. The headwinds were brutal. This storm is hundreds of miles away, whipping its edge southward on the coast. It is diminished from its previous state, and it is still packing a heck of a lot of energy. It hasn't done any damage, and it won't do any. We missed a storm that could have been a tragic disaster. I'm still shaken up by Sandy, four years ago. Another of that magnitude will come before long. Are we ready?

Not even close. Just think what a direct hit up the Narrows or on the south shore of Long Island will do. How do you evacuate Long Island?

max_weisenfeld said:

Not even close. Just think what a direct hit up the Narrows or on the south shore of Long Island will do. How do you evacuate Long Island?

Evacuation plans would have to be made days in advance using LIRR and all available ferries/boats/ships. The existing roadways on Long Island simply couldn't handle the load of evacuees safely in the time given to mount an evacuation. Even then, where would all of the evacuees go assuming they could all leave the Island safely? Safe shelters on the Island would have to be identified, developed, and stocked with needed supplies in advance of the storm; but, there is just not enough high ground in Nassau and Suffolk County to make this practical. Parts of Brooklyn such as Brooklyn Heights, Crown Heights, and Prospect Heights might be workable if evacuees from the eastern end of the Island could get there safely. Brooklyn Heights could be accessible to boats and Crown Heights and Prospect Heights are pretty close to the Atlantic Avenue Station on the LIRR. Agree this could easily be a major disaster with much loss of life.

ctrzaska said:

(Sorry for the drift. I need to go back now.)

It's OK. I look at the photos and feel my blood pressure go down and my body relax. Very nice! (I've been there, but not for a while now)

max_weisenfeld said:

Tom_Reingold said:

{{{shudder}}}

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!