Twitter is a Private Company

paulsurovell said:

sprout said:

I didn't realize how strong the cult of Musk really was until now. I guess even a progressive can believe the wealthiest venture capitalist's green money looks like the greenest environmentalism around. 

There are other green pastures out there. Environmentalism doesn't have just one god. Musk is just the most gold and shiny.

I don't endorse your view that Musk is a "god," but I appreciate the snark.

Well, it's good to know you haven't gone that far.

paulsurovell said:

Musk haters (yes they are Dave)

They hate Musk as much as you hate America.

This seems important.

Tesla’s Recall of Full Self-Driving Targets a 'Fundamental' Flaw | WIRED

At least with new features on the Twitter that get rolled out, nobody is going to be physically injured.

Well, not directly.  With all of the inciting hate speech that is being allowed (and promoted), I'm sure people will be killed.

So much for "free speech absolutism"

Some Mother’s Son is my definition of sensitive content.

ml1 said:

I think Elon found a use for all those defective self-driving bots, they're monitoring the Twitter now.

ml1 said:

Yeah I laughed out loud when he said got rid of censorship, like no one is flagged or banned anymore. What nonsense. It's a private company, it can do what it wants, no matter who's in charge.

ml1 said:

“Musk? Well, he’ll bully.”

GoSlugs said:

paulsurovell said:

Yes, a while back, during a conversation about Bill Clinton, I stipulated that Elon has flaws, and his hostility toward unions is one of them. Hopefully, the NLRB will expedite the complaint and the organizers will prevail.

Well, my post wasn't so much about Musk being a terrible person, everyone knows that.  It was more about your scabby consumption habits. 

No it wasn't.

DaveSchmidt said:

paulsurovell said:

^n imperialism.
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/syria/2020-08-17/pointless-cruelty-trumps-new-syria-sanctions

(to be read with recent earthquake in mind)

And only American imperialism. Everyone else's imperialism you're completely fine with.

Deliberately missing the point is Mr. Surovell's not-so-secret weapon. 

paulsurovell said:

DaveSchmidt said:

paulsurovell said:

^n imperialism.
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/syria/2020-08-17/pointless-cruelty-trumps-new-syria-sanctions

(to be read with recent earthquake in mind)

ridski said:

And only American imperialism. Everyone else's imperialism you're completely fine with.

You're not looking at this the correct way.

Reclaiming territory that's rightfully yours is not "imperialism". 

So Russia [China] has every right to move troops into Ukraine [Taiwan].

ridski said:

Someone's afraid to talk about Syria.

No! Fight thread collapse!

nohero said:

ridski said:

Someone else is afraid to talk about Syria.

ridski said:

paulsurovell said:

nohero said:

ridski said:

I'm reading a thread right now on Twitter about how so many people realized they were no longer cisgender when they saw Denzel Washington and Keanu Reeves in Branagh's version of Much Ado About Nothing.

Elon's working on eliminating chatter like that. 

(1) Where do you get "eliminating" from?

(2) I just learned today a NY Times reporter Michael Powell is accused by some of promoting -  what appears to me to be a -- similar "counter-narrative". I thought this article from June made sense:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/08/us/women-gender-aclu-abortion.html

Why is my post about Much Ado About Nothing included in this post?

Now the NY Times is accused of antisemitism -- by the ADL no less, which does so by citing a Fox News report. Who's the woke adult here?

PVW said:

No! Fight thread collapse!

Catch me now, I’m falling!

paulsurovell said:

nohero said:

ridski said:

That's an entry for the Whatabout Hall of Fame.

paulsurovell said:

ridski said:

Now the NY Times is accused of antisemitism -- by the ADL no less, which does so by citing a Fox News report. Who's the woke adult here?

Oh no, let's not go for the Non Sequitur Hall of Fame as well.

But, Tesla firing employees who are trying to Unionize -- not a problem! Ya know, Musk's gotta do what he's gotta do.... for the good of the environment...

Tesla fires Buffalo factory employees a day after they announced a union drive (msn.com)

ridski said:

ml1 said:

Yeah I laughed out loud when he said got rid of censorship, like no one is flagged or banned anymore. What nonsense. It's a private company, it can do what it wants, no matter who's in charge.

And, he does exactly that. 

nohero said:

paulsurovell said:

ridski said:

Mr. Defense of Woke (on this thread) runs to the exit.

sprout said:

But, Tesla firing employees who are trying to Unionize -- not a problem! Ya know, Musk's gotta do what he's gotta do.... for the good of the environment...

Tesla fires Buffalo factory employees a day after they announced a union drive (msn.com)

Who said it's not a problem?

sprout said:

But, Tesla firing employees who are trying to Unionize -- not a problem! Ya know, Musk's gotta do what he's gotta do.... for the good of the environment...

Paul has stipulated to his objection to Musk on this subject but, unlike others, without hatred.

nohero said:

paulsurovell said:

nohero said:

ridski said:

That's an entry for the Whatabout Hall of Fame.

You must mean @ridski, because that's the only whatabout in your post.

paulsurovell said:

And straight to a thread about antisemitism or Syria, presumably.

paulsurovell said:

nohero said:

paulsurovell said:

ridski said:

That's a double non sequitur.

And regarding the use of "woke" as a pejorative, from the person who brought you "Godwin's Law" - 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.