Twitter is a Private Company

DaveSchmidt said:

paulsurovell said:

Mr. Defense of Woke (on this thread) runs to the exit.

And straight to a thread about antisemitism or Syria, presumably.

On the other hand, there has been a fairly extensive discussion on this thread, of wokeism, including references to NY Times writers and columnists, but admittedly, this is the first reference to the newspaper itself.

DaveSchmidt said:

Paul has stipulated to his objection to Musk on this subject but, unlike others, without hatred.

So if we were to just prefix "Elon Musk has done a tremendous amount on climate change" before pointing out his failures at Twitter, Paul would no longer have any objections?

paulsurovell said:

ridski said:

paulsurovell said:

nohero said:

ridski said:

I'm reading a thread right now on Twitter about how so many people realized they were no longer cisgender when they saw Denzel Washington and Keanu Reeves in Branagh's version of Much Ado About Nothing.

Elon's working on eliminating chatter like that. 

(1) Where do you get "eliminating" from?

(2) I just learned today a NY Times reporter Michael Powell is accused by some of promoting -  what appears to me to be a -- similar "counter-narrative". I thought this article from June made sense:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/08/us/women-gender-aclu-abortion.html

Why is my post about Much Ado About Nothing included in this post?

Now the NY Times is accused of antisemitism -- by the ADL no less, which does so by citing a Fox News report. Who's the woke adult here?

Why is my post about Much Ado About Nothing also a part of this post?

paulsurovell said:

nohero said:

paulsurovell said:

ridski said:

Why is my post about Much Ado About Nothing included in this post?

Now the NY Times is accused of antisemitism -- by the ADL no less, which does so by citing a Fox News report. Who's the woke adult here?

Oh no, let's not go for the Non Sequitur Hall of Fame as well.

Mr. Defense of Woke (on this thread) runs to the exit.

Why is my post included in this post?

PVW said:

DaveSchmidt said:

Paul has stipulated to his objection to Musk on this subject but, unlike others, without hatred.

So if we were to just prefix "Elon Musk has done a tremendous amount on climate change" before pointing out his failures at Twitter, Paul would no longer have any objections?

Perhaps acknowledgement unencumbered with the obligatory negativity would disassociate one from the hating/demonization narrative. Interestingly, Biden did that, but his sincerity was questioned by some of the haters here.

By the way are there any "successes" by Musk at Twitter?

paulsurovell said:

PVW said:

Perhaps acknowledgement unencumbered with the obligatory negativity would disassociate one from the hating/demonization narrative. Interestingly, Biden did that, but his sincerity was questioned by some of the haters here.

You would have a point if this was a thread about climate change, and efforts to address it, and people were talking about what Elon Musk has contributed to that.  Then, if someone brought up "what about Twitter", that would be unnecessary negativity as well as irrelevant.

But this isn't a thread about climate change, or, to put it simply, "Sir, this is a Twitter thread".

paulsurovell said:

He successfully bought it.

paulsurovell said:

You and your love of "narrative."

Hate or love Musk, it doesn't change the actual facts of his actions. And, as I noted, those actions have been failures looked at from business and technology perspectives.

Whether one views them as successes or failures from a cultural perspective will depend on one's views of course. You clearly seem happy with them. As for myself, as I noted, I don't see the replacement of an earnest attempt to balance speech and safety (however flawed it was in practice) with the caprice of a billionaire sympathetic to the far right as an improvement.

ridski said:

Why is my post about Much Ado About Nothing also a part of this post?

Well, have you ever once acknowledge Christopher Marlowe's enormous contributions to English dramaturgy?

nohero said:

That's a double non sequitur.

And regarding the use of "woke" as a pejorative, from the person who brought you "Godwin's Law" - 

"useful idiot" also works. 

Phew. Over 55 lists to read to catch up, and so much circular ‘talking’! How many weeks have been spent going over and over the same (deepening) ruts?? 
I mean no disrespect. Yet it’s not just news media reporting on the dwindling numbers of active Twitter accounts and advertisers; media publications (what publishers used to call the Blue Sheet, for instance) are also noting surprising lapses, unaddressed issues etc. Many posters here have tried to mention some but keep being dragged back to ‘oh the climate crisis!’ and ‘over at Tesla…’.

Can we pls keep to the topic, which is not Elon Musk but Twitter, or rename the thread?

TIA

Just an FYI

If you’re not paulsurovell, or someone else prepared to spend $8 a month to tweet (lol), you’ll need to disable text 2 factor authentication for twitter going forward, because Musk can’t afford to send you texts if you log out for some reason. So go into your settings and switch that off, then go get a 3rd party authentication app and continue to tweet for free.

Looking forward to paul's explanation why this is an improvement.

Steve said:

Looking forward to paul's explanation why this is an improvement.

Jamie’s obviously not charging paulsurovell enough to use this site.

And he's raising the price to $11 for Android users, too.

Steve said:

And he's raising the price to $11 for Android users, too.

Apparently there's a 30% fee added to in-app purchases from Apple, so I think it was always $11 for Apple users, so I think he raised it to the same price for everyone across the board. 

I can't help but laugh at "50% fewer ads" though. People are paying Twitter and they're still the product.

Twitter has conditioned me to use the site less over time. I realized if I wanted to stop getting served tweets from right wing trolls I should ignore them.  

Admittedly this preceded Musk, but to my knowledge it's not something that will improve under his leadership. 

Over the past six months or so I've virtually cut Twitter out of my media consumption, with the only exception is that I'll watch cool sports highlights once in a while. I decided there are plenty of other places to find out what idiocy is coming out of right wing without Twitter multiplying it in my feed. 

I think I've said this before - Musk thinks the Twitter is only what he used the Twitter for and thought it was useful for.  That means that, in order to take care of whatever was bothering him, he screwed it up for everyone who has a broader understanding of the purpose and value of the site.

The latest fun Twitter experience. Replies to tweets either don't load (when I click "Show Replies") or when I click Show Thread it spins for a while then just says...

ridski said:

The latest fun Twitter experience. Replies to tweets either don't load (when I click "Show Replies") or when I click Show Thread it spins for a while then just says...

Musk read this thread.

ridski said:

Just an FYI

If you’re not paulsurovell, or someone else prepared to spend $8 a month to tweet (lol), you’ll need to disable text 2 factor authentication for twitter going forward, because Musk can’t afford to send you texts if you log out for some reason. So go into your settings and switch that off, then go get a 3rd party authentication app and continue to tweet for free.

I feel you.

Now that made me laugh  smile

paulsurovell said:

Musk read this thread.

paulsurovell said:

Musk read this thread.

Is he has a problem with me calling him a muskrat, he can take it up with the admins of MOL. Maybe he’ll offer you a job over at Twitter or Tesla or put you on the next rocket to mars.

Jaytee said:

paulsurovell said:

Musk read this thread.

Is he has a problem with me calling him a muskrat, he can take it up with the admins of MOL. Maybe he’ll offer you a job over at Twitter or Tesla or put you on the next rocket to mars.

I love that, but he'll never do it, because he knows I'd organize a union at Tesla or among the mars crew.

ridski said:

Apparently there's a 30% fee added to in-app purchases from Apple, so I think it was always $11 for Apple users, so I think he raised it to the same price for everyone across the board. 

I can't help but laugh at "50% fewer ads" though. People are paying Twitter and they're still the product.

LOL 

paulsurovell said:

ridski said:

Musk read this thread.

Sorry, should have just written this

Twitter critics are lining up to demand Australian-born right-wing media mogul Rupert Murdoch be stripped of his U.S. citizenship and deported after undermining American democracy with a cascade of recently revealed Fox News lies about the 2020 presidential election.
maybe he should be deported.

Biggest problem: neither Australia nor the UK want him back.  oh oh

Jaytee said:

Twitter critics are lining up to demand Australian-born right-wing media mogul Rupert Murdoch be stripped of his U.S. citizenship and deported after undermining American democracy with a cascade of recently revealed Fox News lies about the 2020 presidential election.
maybe he should be deported.

ridski said:

Sorry, should have just written this

This is really disturbing.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2023/feb/20/australia-news-live-wage-theft-education-economy-voice-robodebt-interest-rates-housing-health
unfortunately the link references the Live News page; I’m referring to the item: Twitter Australia doesn’t have a current local mechanism for reporting child exploitation (hasn’t had for months). 

‘Twitter has no Australian staff regulator can contact for child exploitation materials, parliamentary committee hears.

‘The parliamentary joint committee on law enforcement is today examining the law’s capabilities when it comes to child exploitation, with the Greens senator David Shoebridge questioning the Attorney General’s Department, Home Affairs and the Office of the eSafety Commissioner.’

And just in case we’re dragged back into Tesla-is-wonderful comparisons, we’ve had huge outcrys here over the past few days that very very few charging bays are built to accessibility codes despite proudly announcing how accessible they are. More often than not, a second vehicle will block the wheelchair/mobility scooter ramp OR there will be a stepped gutter with no scoop/ramp before you reach the outlets etc. Lovely planning, eh?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!