Twitter is a Private Company

ridski said:

Just an FYI

If you’re not paulsurovell, or someone else prepared to spend $8 a month to tweet (lol), you’ll need to disable text 2 factor authentication for twitter going forward, because Musk can’t afford to send you texts if you log out for some reason. So go into your settings and switch that off, then go get a 3rd party authentication app and continue to tweet for free.

Follow up on this: I was able to set up the security key function as an alternate for when SMS 2FA goes Pro. I did try the Authentication App route, as I already have one installed for work, but when they generated a 6 digit key for me to add to the app, I wasn't able to copy it, clicked forward and then I wasn't able to generate a new one or remove the original one so if you choose that method, make sure to write your generated key down, in case it doesn't copy to your clipboard. 

As an aside, SMS 2FA is convenient, but not necessarily the most secure. Apart from the security key function, Twitter lists a bunch of 3rd party Authentication Apps you can use, and this article here has some good info on how to set one up: 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/twitter-security-account-1.6753576

ETA: If you have multiple accounts (such as a personal and business account) you'll need to set up 2FA in some form for each of your accounts.

There is one thing I am appreciating about new Twitter. Since they condensed the # section to just For You and Trending (used to have News, Sports, and Entertainment in there also) I'm seeing fewer Crypto nonsense hashtags appearing in those feeds. There's still way too much sport stuff I'm not interested in (like basketball, hockey, and baseball) but the feeds in general are much cleaner.

ridski said:

ridski said:

Just an FYI

If you’re not paulsurovell, or someone else prepared to spend $8 a month to tweet (lol), you’ll need to disable text 2 factor authentication for twitter going forward, because Musk can’t afford to send you texts if you log out for some reason. So go into your settings and switch that off, then go get a 3rd party authentication app and continue to tweet for free.

Follow up on this: I was able to set up the security key function as an alternate for when SMS 2FA goes Pro. I did try the Authentication App route, as I already have one installed for work, but when they generated a 6 digit key for me to add to the app, I wasn't able to copy it, clicked forward and then I wasn't able to generate a new one or remove the original one so if you choose that method, make sure to write your generated key down, in case it doesn't copy to your clipboard. 

As an aside, SMS 2FA is convenient, but not necessarily the most secure. Apart from the security key function, Twitter lists a bunch of 3rd party Authentication Apps you can use, and this article here has some good info on how to set one up: 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/twitter-security-account-1.6753576

ETA: If you have multiple accounts (such as a personal and business account) you'll need to set up 2FA in some form for each of your accounts.

Musk says the apps are much more secure than SMS:

paulsurovell said:

Musk says the apps are much more secure than SMS:

Yeah, that's what I said when i said:

"As an aside, SMS 2FA is convenient, but not necessarily the most secure. Apart from the security key function, Twitter lists a bunch of 3rd party Authentication Apps you can use, and this article here has some good info on how to set one up:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/twitter-security-account-1.6753576"

So you're now going to be paying for the privilege of an authentication method option that's not as good as the free ones.

Authy is a great 3rd party authentication app.

https://authy.com/

Is twitter actively guiding people toward using an authenticator app, or just saying "we're dropping SMS, here's an alternative, good luck"?

While it's true that an authenticator app is a more secure 2FA than SMS, SMS is more secure than no 2FA at all. What percentage of people losing SMS are going to actually successfully migrate to an alternative, I wonder?

Twitter here doesn't look like a company that cares about user security. It looks like a company whose where mismanagement has driven it to such financial straits its trying to balance the books by switching to single ply TP.

PVW said:

… trying to balance the books by switching to single ply TP.

The earlier TP strategy we heard about was cheaper.

PVW said:

Is twitter actively guiding people toward using an authenticator app, or just saying "we're dropping SMS, here's an alternative, good luck"?

While it's true that an authenticator app is a more secure 2FA than SMS, SMS is more secure than no 2FA at all. What percentage of people losing SMS are going to actually successfully migrate to an alternative, I wonder?

Twitter here doesn't look like a company that cares about user security. It looks like a company whose where mismanagement has driven it to such financial straits its trying to balance the books by switching to single ply TP.

Instead of providing it as part of the service, people have to go through a multi-step process.  Some will do it, many (my guess is most) will not. 

nohero said:

Instead of providing it as part of the service, people have to go through a multi-step process.  Some will do it, many (my guess is most) will not. 

of course the more complicated you make it the fewer people will use it. great solution.

(here's where I put in my plea for getting rid of passwords and just use fingerprints, which we should have been doing twenty years ago.)

anyway, maybe someone can explain the importance of 2FA for twitter. to prevent someone from impersonating someone else? with a decent password, this seems like a pretty low risk environment.

drummerboy said:

of course the more complicated you make it the fewer people will use it. great solution.

(here's where I put in my plea for getting rid of passwords and just use fingerprints, which we should have been doing twenty years ago.)

anyway, maybe someone can explain the importance of 2FA for twitter. to prevent someone from impersonating someone else? with a decent password, this seems like a pretty low risk environment.

If you’re a brand, it’s pretty big. Even if you’re a small brand.

PVW said:

Like I said, it took me a couple of days to figure out how to do it, and then I had to do it multiple times. It’s not really actively guiding you toward a 3rd party authentication app at all. It doesn’t want to, it wants you to pay $11+ per month to continue what you have.

dave said:

Authy is a great 3rd party authentication app.

https://authy.com/

I use Duo Mobile for work, so I already had something, but I don't think it's really for basic users of something like Twitter, it seems more like the kind of "Enterprise level solution" you hear advertised on NPR. Authy is probably better. If you have a gmail or microsoft email account, you can just use that.

ridski said:

drummerboy said:

I suppose if it's a brand, they'll pay the $8 a month extortion fee.

ml1 said:

ridski said:

drummerboy said:

I suppose if it's a brand, they'll pay the $8 a month extortion fee.

Depends. I'm in a theatrical production company of 2 people which hasn't put on a show since January 2020. It has a Twitter presence, and if someone were to hack our account and start shitposting local figures and other companies in our name, our brand rep would go down the toilet. Obviously I've taken the steps to use both a 3rd party and 2FA key to mitigate that, but before that I only had SMS 2FA, because why would you need anything else? As a company with no income, we can't afford to put on a show right now, so there's no way we're paying Twitter $11/month (which is what it is now) for the privilege.

How about we all pay Jamie an $8 monthly fee? I’m sure he knows we’re not all robots… 

ridski said:

Depends. I'm in a theatrical production company of 2 people which hasn't put on a show since January 2020. It has a Twitter presence, and if someone were to hack our account and start shitposting local figures and other companies in our name, our brand rep would go down the toilet. Obviously I've taken the steps to use both a 3rd party and 2FA key to mitigate that, but before that I only had SMS 2FA, because why would you need anything else? As a company with no income, we can't afford to put on a show right now, so there's no way we're paying Twitter $11/month (which is what it is now) for the privilege.

I went to a performance last month at Burgdorff last month and my son still was bringing up the panto from 2020. I selfishly hope that you're working on another one. 

jfinnegan said:

I went to a performance last month at Burgdorff last month and my son still was bringing up the panto from 2020. I selfishly hope that you're working on another one. 

It warms my heart that we had an impact! So, the story is...

We had one all set up for Jan 2021 when the cast started going down with Omicron and we had to cancel 2 days before Christmas. It cost us a whole bunch of money and with no sales to make it back we realized we couldn't afford to get back into gear to try again this year. 

TL;DR we're exploring other avenues of entertainment right now. But if you want to get into the weeds a bit...

There were actually 2 factors that changed since the pandemic. 1. Something changed about entertainment liability insurance during that time - before, we were able to buy liability insurance that covered us annually for any event we produced for a fairly low amount, so all our rehearsals, performances, and even side events like the 3 Jersey 'Prov events we co-produced were all insured on the same policy. That's no longer the case, and every event insurance company I've contacted gave me quotes for (at best) 2 months of coverage for the same price we had annual coverage. So we couldn't afford to insure ourselves for the rehearsal space and the show.

2. The price for rehearsal space rental doubled. 

So while we have no plans for a full production at this time, we are looking at ways to continue to have fun and make the neighborhood laugh at the same time.

But I digress, so back to my larger point. Individual people brand themselves all on the time on social media, too, so charging monthly for one of the most basic - if less secure - ways to authenticate your own brand's posts against malicious hackers seems somewhat egregious. It won't affect me, because I know what I'm doing, but it could affect plenty of others.

@ridski - Oh no! Now I know why I didn't see a Panto posted this year. Very sorry the financials have gotten outrageous. My kids enjoyed going to see the show each year growing up (my personal favorite was the Arthur legend one), and my youngest had a blast getting to be in En Garde! If I remember correctly, last year was going to be a big anniversary of your Pantos?

All the puns are very much missed...

Jaytee said:

How about we all pay Jamie an $8 monthly fee?

Here’s the link:

https://worldwebs.com/supportus/

ridski said:

PVW said:

Like I said, it took me a couple of days to figure out how to do it, and then I had to do it multiple times. It’s not really actively guiding you toward a 3rd party authentication app at all. It doesn’t want to, it wants you to pay $11+ per month to continue what you have.

$8 on web.

Another new feature:

paulsurovell said:

Another new feature:

This is basically a Twitter Wiki, and the real question is who supervises and what are the controls for "false contexts".

paulsurovell said:

$8 on web.

Another new feature:

Why is it more expensive to use your phone app to sign up for the exact same service? It doesn't make any sense.

ridski said:

It warms my heart that we had an impact! So, the story is...

We had one all set up for Jan 2021 when the cast started going down with Omicron and we had to cancel 2 days before Christmas. It cost us a whole bunch of money and with no sales to make it back we realized we couldn't afford to get back into gear to try again this year. 

TL;DR we're exploring other avenues of entertainment right now. But if you want to get into the weeds a bit...

There were actually 2 factors that changed since the pandemic. 1. Something changed about entertainment liability insurance during that time - before, we were able to buy liability insurance that covered us annually for any event we produced for a fairly low amount, so all our rehearsals, performances, and even side events like the 3 Jersey 'Prov events we co-produced were all insured on the same policy. That's no longer the case, and every event insurance company I've contacted gave me quotes for (at best) 2 months of coverage for the same price we had annual coverage. So we couldn't afford to insure ourselves for the rehearsal space and the show.

2. The price for rehearsal space rental doubled. 

So while we have no plans for a full production at this time, we are looking at ways to continue to have fun and make the neighborhood laugh at the same time.

Sorry to hear. Good luck finding a spot. I'll enjoy your comedy on MOL for the time being. 

paulsurovell said:

ridski said:

PVW said:

$8 on web.

Another new feature:

hilarious. .Not a new idea, even at twitter. keep up the grift Elon

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/nina-jankowicz-assures-everyone-i-never-wanted-to-edit-your-tweets/

drummerboy said:

paulsurovell said:

ridski said:

PVW said:

$8 on web.

Another new feature:

hilarious. .Not a new idea, even at twitter. keep up the grift Elon

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/nina-jankowicz-assures-everyone-i-never-wanted-to-edit-your-tweets/

I had a feeling that this was basically a retooled Birdwatch. I'm pretty sure it'll be great for people like paulsurovell until they're Notifications fill up with Notes from every tweet they touch. Can you turn it off, or will we have to pay for that feature, too?

nohero said:

This is basically a Twitter Wiki, and the real question is who supervises and what are the controls for "false contexts".

so does this mean they basically just replaced the warning messages placed on tweets in the past by Twitter's content moderation team with crowd sourced warning messages?

yay

ml1 said:

so does this mean they basically just replaced the warning messages placed on tweets in the past by Twitter's content moderation team with crowd sourced warning messages?

yay

If right wing posts get too many notes*, will this be evidence that there's a conspiracy to silence free speech?

*defined as any number large enough to hurt their feelings. Could be as little as one.

Elon Musk’s Twitter Goes Dark on Government Data Grabs (Rolling Stone)

For a decade, Twitter published rundowns twice a year of all of those government requests. But under Musk, that appears to have ended.

Despite Musk’s rhetoric about government bullying of social media, his company hasn’t published one of the formerly regular transparency reports detailing what governments are demanding from Twitter — and whether the company is bending to them.

PVW said:

ml1 said:

yay

If right wing posts get too many notes*, will this be evidence that there's a conspiracy to silence free speech?

*defined as any number large enough to hurt their feelings. Could be as little as one.

I was thinking more of coordinated right wing efforts to get labels slapped on tweets that tell truths that are uncomfortable to them like climate change, systemic racism, etc. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!