Twitter is a Private Company

paulsurovell said:

ridski said:

paulsurovell said:

Your pinned tweet has been there since Feb 20 2020. My pinned tweet went up on Dec 27 2022.  My latest pinned tweet was changed because the Youtube interview between @mzjacobson and Letterman is no longer available so I had to re-do it with the Vimeo version. I don't recall how many "likes" the old one had.

Another way to compare your Feb 20 2020 pinned Tweet and my Dec 27 2022 pinned Tweet is that yours has zero "views" while mine has 3,049.

Exactly. And I couldn't give less of a **** about it, which is why I don't rent Elon's emoji or give him my phone number.

If you really want to have some fun, though, scroll back through my timeline a few years to the night I drunk tweeted while hate-watching Prometheus. I'm sure that was a couple of thousand characters for that thread, and I don't think anyone read that one.

You don't give a **** about it so much that you took the time to post about it here.

Yep.  And you and replied to it. Funny how forums work, isn’t it?

ridski said:

paulsurovell said:

ridski said:

paulsurovell said:

Your pinned tweet has been there since Feb 20 2020. My pinned tweet went up on Dec 27 2022.  My latest pinned tweet was changed because the Youtube interview between @mzjacobson and Letterman is no longer available so I had to re-do it with the Vimeo version. I don't recall how many "likes" the old one had.

Another way to compare your Feb 20 2020 pinned Tweet and my Dec 27 2022 pinned Tweet is that yours has zero "views" while mine has 3,049.

Exactly. And I couldn't give less of a **** about it, which is why I don't rent Elon's emoji or give him my phone number.

If you really want to have some fun, though, scroll back through my timeline a few years to the night I drunk tweeted while hate-watching Prometheus. I'm sure that was a couple of thousand characters for that thread, and I don't think anyone read that one.

You don't give a **** about it so much that you took the time to post about it here.

Yep.  And you and replied to it. Funny how forums work, isn’t it?

I didn't say I couldn't give less of a **** about it, so why shouldn't I reply.

Remember, you took the initiative on this, making it about me.

paulsurovell said:

Paul, since this isn't the Twitter you can't block people and keep them from seeing your posts. So, everyone can see what you wrote that Mr. Ridski was responding to. You had already "made it about you".

And it looks like you're using those extra characters to still repeat the claim (just last night) that Zelensky could have had peace from Putin, but Boris Johnson told him to reject the deal. That's the argument that you don't make on MOL any more because it was debunked here.

https://twitter.com/paulsurovell/status/1653317537965260808

[Edited to add] I cited the above tweet for the purpose of discussing the "supersizing" of tweets that's possible if you pay Elon. If you want to talk the substance of the claims in it, it can go on the "What Does Putin Want" thread, where you had already tried with that.

paulsurovell said:

ridski said:

paulsurovell said:

But PVW needs Twitter Blue to reach the larger audience.

I just replied to this 2,900-character post. @nohero also needs Twitter Blue.

My pinned tweet has 2 likes. Your pinned tweet has 4. You have basically twice as many followers as I do, and I don’t even really do politics on twitter. So what larger audience are you reaching there?

there are hundreds of millions of Twitter users. Three thousand views is a speck. 

I got almost 10,000 views in a week on LinkedIn for one post last week. And it wasn't pinned. And I'm not paying for LinkedIn. 

And yes 10,000 is also a speck in the grand scheme of things. 

I'm mostly struck by the fact that, despite having zero "views," the tweet has likes. What, exactly, do "views" represent?

PVW said:

I'm mostly struck by the fact that, despite having zero "views," the tweet has likes. What, exactly, do "views" represent?

Maybe a group of blind people?

{I’m just wondering why supposedly grown men are wasting so much time arguing whose [anything] is bigger? Ah well, after 2am so probably time for me to sleep…} 

joanne said:

{I’m just wondering why supposedly grown men are wasting so much time arguing whose [anything] is bigger? Ah well, after 2am so probably time for me to sleep…} 

oh oh

point taken

ml1 said:

paulsurovell said:

ridski said:

paulsurovell said:

My pinned tweet has 2 likes. Your pinned tweet has 4. You have basically twice as many followers as I do, and I don’t even really do politics on twitter. So what larger audience are you reaching there?

there are hundreds of millions of Twitter users. Three thousand views is a speck. 

I got almost 10,000 views in a week on LinkedIn for one post last week. And it wasn't pinned. And I'm not paying for LinkedIn. 

I wonder why you didn't jump into this conversation after @ridski made a point about "2 likes" vs "4 likes" . . . Especially when you're making a point about "specks".  

nohero said:

paulsurovell said:

Paul, since this isn't the Twitter you can't block people and keep them from seeing your posts. So, everyone can see what you wrote that Mr. Ridski was responding to. You had already "made it about you".

And it looks like you're using those extra characters to still repeat the claim (just last night) that Zelensky could have had peace from Putin, but Boris Johnson told him to reject the deal. That's the argument that you don't make on MOL any more because it was debunked here.

https://twitter.com/paulsurovell/status/1653317537965260808

[Edited to add] I cited the above tweet for the purpose of discussing the "supersizing" of tweets that's possible if you pay Elon. If you want to talk the substance of the claims in it, it can go on the "What Does Putin Want" thread, where you had already tried with that.

Thanks for the link, but you really need to break the habit of saying that something is "debunked" because you don't like it.

paulsurovell said:

ml1 said:

paulsurovell said:

ridski said:

paulsurovell said:

I wonder why you didn't jump into this conversation after @ridski made a point about "2 likes" vs "4 likes" . . . Especially when you're making a point about "specks".  

because I mostly ignore this inane argument you're having and just commented on thr most recent post I saw. 

Speaking of Specks: Ridski will enjoy this

**** and Specks, Aussie trivia at its best. ( Yes there’s a great Twitter connection)

Edited to add: I’m very surprised that an old Bee Gees’ song title is blanked by the MOL net-nanny. 

paulsurovell said:

Thanks for the link, but you really need to break the habit of saying that something is "debunked" because you don't like it.

I said it was "debunked" because it was "debunked".  For further details, please refer to the "What Does Putin Want" thread and the posts there, that you skipped over before.

Jaytee said:

PVW said:

Maybe a group of blind people?

Javascript (a native coding language to all browsers) has a trigger for noting when a user scrolls past a certain point on the page.  Zero views might simply be that the global network of servers Twitter uses hasn't caught up with the server you're on.  I think Twitter uses this as a "view" counter.  Similarly, many sites have triggers to show pop-up ads when your mouse moves up to the top of the screen when attempting to navigate away.  CNN does it, for example.

Thanks for that explanation, Dave *curtseying*

joanne said:

**** and Specks, Aussie trivia at its best. ( Yes there’s a great Twitter connection)

Edited to add: I’m very surprised that an old Bee Gees’ song title is blanked by the MOL net-nanny. 

"Has no part of my body got any moisture!" Fricking laughed out loud at that! Thank you, joanne, for the late (early) laugh!

Now the writers’ strike is on, you can catch up on Adam, Myf, Allan and guests. There are several seasons.  big surprise

grin

joanne said:

specks are fine for MOL…but if you change the letter E to an I… then the local constabulary gets a warning signal from headquarters that you are offending a particular group of people. 

Sigh - even if you’re referring to a small blob of dust under your sofa??  I always thought the people-variety wasn’t spelt without the ‘k’. It’s also not a term that Aussies use (we have our own weird mostly old-fashioned racist terms)

I truly appreciate everyone explaining stuff for me  question  rolleyes

PVW said:

Petty, petulant Musk still mad at NPR:

Elon Musk threatens to re-assign @NPR on Twitter to 'another company' (NPR)

Elon Musk continues the rapid unscheduled disassembly of the Twitter.

nohero said:

whatever will Pablo do when Twitter becomes disassembled? Maybe he’ll get a free tee shirt with a big blue tick on the front…

Jaytee said:

nohero said:

whatever will Pablo do when Twitter becomes disassembled? Maybe he’ll get a free tee shirt with a big blue tick on the front…

paulsurovell said:

yahooyahoo said:

I may regret this but please explain the phrase "significant contributions to humanity."

The only reason why you would regret it would be if you didn't believe that climate change is a a major if not an existential threat to humanity. Similar for artificial intelligence and there are potential contributions for neurological disorders. Bill Marr gave a partial summary in the interview posted above.

I'll post details later.

I answered your question in a Tweet to respect those who worry about this thread being diverted from Twitter topics (despite doing a lot of diversion themselves):

paulsurovell said:

I answered your question in a Tweet to respect those who worry about this thread being diverted from Twitter topics (despite doing a lot of diversion themselves):

Gonna reply to this here to see which "larger audience" wins.

Here you go Ridski, have a check!

paulsurovell said:

Yes, people started discussing Elon Musk's businesses that aren't the Twitter. We're all trying to find the guy who did this. 

This thread, November 21, 2022:

paulsurovell said:

yahooyahoo said:

Musk is a total clown.

He's got a clownish side,but he's got another side:

: Top EV company in world (including 35,000 super-charging stations in US). Launching semi-trucks Dec 1)
: Leading solar panel/solar battery storage company for both industrial scale and private homes
: Top space exploration company in world (does launches for NASA)
: Satellite company (Starlink -- essential for Ukraine military)
: Top underground high-speed rail company (Boring Company)
: Neural-link company to address disabilities

ridski said:

paulsurovell said:

Gonna reply to this here to see which "larger audience" wins.

You're still in Paul's club? Lucky.

Hard to argue with this - 

nohero said:

You're still in Paul's club? Lucky.

Yep. I don't follow him, but he hasn't blocked me yet. 

And if he does, I'll just check with another free twitter handle, might as well make up as many as I want - doesn't cost me anything.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!