Was there trouble at the Reservation?

Jackson_Fusion said:
Send the pictures to the NJCU and Montclair student papers. If administrators conclude this was no big deal they shouldn't mind if the photos get wider attention. Ledger too.

I'm really not in this to bring negative attention to Iota Phi Theta. I haven't accused them of destroying property or causing lasting damage to the reservation.

I'm staying involved because laws were broken and rules weren't followed, and many people were put in a position where they could have been physically hurt, and public property could have been damaged. Pictures of laws/rules being broken have already appeared publicly on other websites.

The application for a "special event" requires a $275 "Cleaning fee". They may have paid that, before or after the event, and that's how the trash -- which I didn't see but many other people did -- got removed afterward. If so, they just need to demonstrate what actions were taken -- and at whose expense -- to clean up from the event.

They knew the party would be huge. If they procured a permit for a smaller affair that didn't require other security steps and provisions necessary for the crowd they attracted, lots of people need to make sure they are required to plan and carry through on that in the future.

They need to secure proper services for traffic control and crowd management to keep the site safe, and clean up services to leave it clean, or they shouldn't be allowed to use it.

This was the "2nd Annual". I'm not condemning a "3rd Annual", but just want to make sure someone is watching carefully to ensure that all rules are followed, necessary services provided, and police don't have to be called in because things get out of control.

And Independence Day, 2016 is still a long way off....

Red_Barchetta said:

"I think eventually letters will be distributed by the universities and fraternity expressing embarrassment that an event like this was associated with them. They will explain that disciplinary measures have been taken including the expulsion of key members."

If there was a prize to be given, I think Red_Barchetta would win ... though his prediction goes a bit further than, and in some ways, not as far as, the report I’ve received from Iota Phi Theta. Others of you who contacted the fraternity may have also gotten a letter back from the current Regional Polaris, as I did yesterday.

What follows has been paraphrased from that letter, except for anything in italics/parentheses, which are my own comments.

First: Apologies for any misunderstandings/inconvenience caused to local residents….

Second: Many groups have hosted events in the Reservation in the past. The frat should not be held accountable for any prior events. (???)

Third: After meeting with both universities, it is agreed there will be no expulsions. Everyone will continue their educational endeavors while being held responsible for any wrongdoings officials are certain were committed.

From the actual investigation results:

Several unaffiliated groups were also holding events that day in the Reservation, which increased crowd size. The ECSD was called to “investigate events at the Reservation”.

(Plausible)

It was the DJ, not a member of the fraternity, who secured the (deceptive and less expensive) permit for the event. Iota Phi Theta has instructed him to rectify his wrongdoing with County offices.

(…probably why the Parks Dept. was not immediately aware of the fraternity when I asked about permits. If the multiple groups had each obtained permits for 100 attendees, crowd size would certainly have been far under-estimated. Why send a non-member? IMHO, to distance themselves from the frat and the event at the time the permit was secured.)

When the ECSD arrived, they shut down the party for alcohol and more people than their permit allowed.

(When I spoke to the ECSD, the first reason mentioned for shutdown was "amplified music". The frat had secured a DJ – perhaps so that a non-member could purchase the permit.)

The guests complied and the park was emptied by 7 PM. (Report doesn’t mention if or how many people may have entered the park after that time.

ECSD also told me they recommended to Parks Dept that this group never be granted a permit to use the Reservation again. Sounds like they might not have been granted one this time, either.)

Some Iota members stayed to clean up their designated area, and left with ECSD personnel.

(Trash left may have been from other parties in other areas.)

No evidence of trash was observed by members or residents who visited later.

That's it! Done! Glad to have received a response.

This is officially all I have to say on this. Now we wait for next year.......

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Rentals

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!