Welcome to Kitten Season 2016

Everyone's eyes are pretty much open, finally.  A few have had them open for several days and one is just peeping through. If you didn't know, female cats can be impregnated by multiple males during the same heat cycle; that's why you sometimes find one kitten (or two) who's very different from the other littermates. Difference can be size, or physical attributes (bigger head, longer legs, coarser or softer fur), or speed of development (like, how long it takes before the eyes open).   

Magic is a fierce defender of her family.  Yesterday two of my cats were having a growling match with each other outside the room where Magic stays with her kittens. Hearing the commotion, Magic charged out and chased off one of my cats and stood her ground with the other who's about twice her size.

And beautiful to boot. She is like Wonder Woman or Xena Warrior Princess!

They're on the move. Three weeks old today.

too much cuteness !!!  rolleyes 

They look like baby bats!!!!!!! ❤️

Such a sweet picture to wake up to this morning!

@bigben_again 

That's it I'm visiting them .. I need some kitty snuggle love  rolleyes 

Here we are 10 days later. The kittens are becoming more adventurous and social. This is one of the brothers; he's all black and is slightly larger than his littermates.

Here are the two brothers.  They weren't sure about being on the cat tree but have since found their way to the lower level all by themselves.

This is one of the sisters, gazing at a feather toy.  They haven't figured out the toy thing yet but are happy to wrestle with and hop around after each other.  

This is the last little sister. She is the most social and friendly and enjoys hanging out with the crowd of young people who might make up my household on any given day.

Any reader who'd like to meet them or know of anyone who'd like to meet them, please let me know.

It has not been a good season. Fortunately, at the moment all of Magic's kittens are alive but Magic passed away this morning after a swift, brief, unknown illness.   that means we need to closely monitor her kittens to see if they develop troubling symptoms. They are with the rescue now, who's taking them to be evaluated by their vet.

In addition to this family, I've taken six other kittens (mostly singles, but one pair), an adult single, and gave safe haven for a night to a mother with six.  Of the single sixes, three of them died: one because the person didn't ask for help soon enough and by the time I got her it was too late, the other two due to unknown causes.  A fourth of the singles required a visit to the emergency vet for what we finally decided was hyperglycemia. She's dong fine and is back with her original rescue group.   

So that's 16 kittens and three adults who've passed through my gate since I started this thread and it's been a very bumpy ride. 

Oh, how awful.  Those with vast knowledge of caring for these tiny lives and their moms still can't prevent the unknown.  I'm so sorry for the losses you've had to experience.

So sorry about this, you did your best for them. tongue laugh 

Such sad news.  I guess the consolation is that without you more would have died.

The four kittens are back with me. Two have a fever and the other two are fine. On an antibiotic just in case.

Good vibes coming for the kittens!

Lighting a candle for Magic.  Fading kitten syndrome is heart breaking and inexplicable.  You know how much I admire what you do. Please try to focus on all those you have helped, and pause (or paws) for a good thought for the ones you gave safe haven to, although their time was short.

LOL  I am so sorry... The losses must take a terrible toll on you. But you do everything humanly possible for them, and with your knowledge and experience, that has to be far more than most other people could do.  >smile

I foster for some really experienced rescuers and my knowledge pales in comparison to theirs. However there are two things I do well: first, I learn the personalities and habits my fosters so I know very early when something is off. The other is if something is wrong, I'm not shy about calling for help.

Those are some very important things to know! You don't need to be a vet--you need to know when to call one, and you have that in spades.  grin 

bigben_again said:

I foster for some really experienced rescuers and my knowledge pales in comparison to theirs. However there are two things I do well: first, I learn the personalities and habits my fosters so I know very early when something is off. The other is if something is wrong, I'm not shy about calling for help.

You're to humble. I think you are one of the most experienced person when it comes to cats. 

I call you the "Cat Whisperer" wink 

No joke. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.