The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

ml1 said:

dave23 said:

Only you would take a comment about Carl Icahn's apparent insider trading and respond with 6 posts slicing a side comment into particles for no apparent purpose other than to aggravate.

I don't generally like to play the "what if" game. But in this case I'm letting my imagination go and consider what would be said, and how the pundits would be treating this if a Hillary Clinton associate had a chat with her and then immediately dumped a bunch of stock right before it tanked based on her policy announcement. 

Remember the days when that stuff used to rile people up? Now when that kind of thing comes out, it's just another Friday. Good times!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillary_Clinton_cattle_futures_controversy

Pinch me, DB, something we both agree on!   tongue rolleye 

drummerboy said:

that's our BCC!

dave23 said:

Only you would take a comment about Carl Icahn's apparent insider trading and respond with 6 posts slicing a side comment into particles for no apparent purpose other than to aggravate.

mtierney said:

Pinch me, DB, something we both agree on!   tongue rolleye 
drummerboy said:

that's our BCC!

dave23 said:

So, what are your thoughts on the insider trading this report suggests?

on this windy, nasty day, I had the opportunity to “attend” the funeral service for Billy Graham. Some 2000 guests sat in the biggest tent I have ever seen. Can one have a great funeral, with both laughter and tears? It was also nice to see sunshine, flowering trees, and green lawns — specially ordered?

https://youtu.be/m9WnvUNZ1h8

mtierney said: 

What is being said in the Rose Garden? What's happening in Washington?

mtierney said:

on this windy, nasty day, I had the opportunity to “attend” the funeral service for Billy Graham. Some 2000 guests sat in the biggest tent I have ever seen. Can one have a great funeral, with both laughter and tears? It was also nice to see sunshine, flowering trees, and green lawns — specially ordered?

They buried him in the Rose Garden?

Thanks mtierney for the YouTube connection. So many people from all over the world. I always admired Billy Graham.

Trump, what a guy !!!

Trump Pushes Republicans in Congress to Oppose Funding Hudson Rail Tunnel

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — President Trump is pressing congressional Republicans to oppose funding for a new rail tunnel between New York and New Jersey, using the power of his office to block a key priority for the region and his Democratic rivals, according to several people with knowledge of his actions.

Mr. Trump urged Speaker Paul D. Ryan this week not to support funding for the $30 billion project, two people familiar with the conversation said.

The president’s decision to weigh in forcefully against the so-called Gateway infrastructure project, which has been one of the United States’ top transportation priorities for years, adds a significant obstacle to getting the project underway in the near future.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/02/nyregion/trump-schumer-hudson-rail-tunnel.html

Lets not support mass transit. Lets not support a city that has less  then 3% of the US population yet contributes to 8% of the nations GDP. Lets keep the commuters on a mass transit system that is obsolete, overloaded and falling apart.

Lets kill local tax breaks for high density urban jewels.

Lets instead work to convert NYC and its suburbs into a red state mirror, a Trump sh*t hole.

Billy Graham? Meh. Frankly, we'd have been better off without him. He was a net negative.

But he can never be forgiven for spawning that horror-show of a son, Franklin. Franklin ain't making it to heaven.

dave23 said:

It was you who brought up the “dastardly Canadians”.I responded to it and it was you who willingly entered  a discussion about our trade policies (on this and the previous page). Cahn was never mentioned again until you ran out of argument and had to change the subject. If anyone doubts that go back and read the comments.

I apologize for aggravating you.

ETA to correct spelling

BCC said:

dave23 said:

It was you who brought up the “dastardly Canadians”.I responded to it and it was you who willingly entered  a discussion about our trade policies (on this and the previous page). Cahn was never mentioned again until you ran out of argument and had to change the subject. If anyone doubts that go back and read the comments.

I apologize for aggregating you.

Yes, I am The Singularity.

dave23 said:

BCC said:

dave23 said:

What is the best definition of Singularity?

1. (physics) a point or region in spacetime in which gravitational forces cause matter to have an infinite density;

If you are proud of being infinitely dense I won't argue with you,

Cannot remove 1, should be 5

Removed part of definition. Sounded racist.

BCC said:

dave23 said:

BCC said:

dave23 said:

1. (physics) a point or region in spacetime in which gravitational forces cause matter to have an infinite density;

You gave only one definition, the technological one.

http://www.singularitysymposium.com/definition-of-singularity.html

Non-tech:

1. the state of being singular, distinct, peculiar, uncommon or unusual

Seems like a synonym for "unique".

te·di·ous
ˈtēdēəs/
adjective
adjective: tedious

1. too long, slow, or dull: tiresome or monotonous. "a tedious journey"
    synonyms:boring, dullmonotonousrepetitiveunrelievedunvarieduneventfulMore
    antonyms:exciting

Why aren’t we discussing Roy Moore’s crowdfunding campaign?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/mar/03/roy-moore-donations-lawsuit-alabama

Or the obvious ‘descent into chaos’ in the White House?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/mar/03/donald-trump-jared-kushner-hope-hicks-tarriffs-nra (I’m staggered that apparently no-one on MOL has mentioned the about-face on gun sales restrictions)

Or even the incident earlier today, where someone apparently killed himself outside the White House?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43273830

mtierney said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/02/us/billy-graham-funeral.html?rref=collection%2Fissuecollection%2Ftodays-new-york-times

Not so “meh” for millions.

The list of folks who were adored by millions is long and inglorious. Popularity certainly is not a good measure for moral worth.

There was the time Billy Graham presided at a gathering to oppose the election of a Catholic president.

www.nytimes.com/1992/10/31/us/beliefs-627392.html#h[]

On Aug. 18, 1960, according to a new book, about 25 leaders of American Protestantism met privately in Montreux, Switzerland, and discussed how they could block the election of John F. Kennedy. The host was the Rev. Billy Graham; the most prominent guest was the Rev. Dr. Norman Vincent Peale.The meeting has never been divulged. It is not mentioned in any of the major Graham biographies, and it has never been publicly discussed by any of the participants. It was unearthed only recently by a historian writing a biography of the 94-year old Dr. Peale.
She also tells, for the first time, about the meeting in Switzerland, quoting this letter from Dr. Peale's wife, Ruth Stafford Peale, to a friend in Connecticutt on Aug. 19, 1960: "Norman had a conference yesterday at Montreux, Switzerland, with Billy Graham and about 25 church leaders from the United States. They were unanimous in feeling that the Protestants in America must be aroused in some way, or the solid block Catholic voting, plus money, will take this election."

Today neither the proponent of positive thinking nor the Baptist preacher was available for comment on this episode despite efforts to contact them. Dr. Peale is retired; Mr. Graham is traveling in Russia after preaching one of his many "crusades" in Moscow. But, from the correspondence that followed, it is clear that the Montreux gathering set in motion plans for a one-day conference in Washington to rally concern about the possibility of a Roman Catholic in the White House. Before August was over, Dr. Peale agreed to preside.

On Sept. 7 the meeting took place as planned, and it was a disaster for opponents of a Catholic as President, for Richard M. Nixon in his campaign against Kennedy, and especially for Dr. Peale.

At a news conference after the meeting Dr. Peale said the participants had held a "philosophical" discussion of "the nature and character of the Roman Catholic Church." He was immediately asked questions like these:

Why were there no Catholics on the program? Why had no Jews been invited? Why were the leading liberal Protestant theologians missing? Was Mr. Nixon's Quakerism also a subject of Dr. Peale's concern? What reason did he have to disbelieve Senator Kennedy's pledge to exercise his office free of Catholic influence?

Floundering in the face of such queries, Dr. Peale found himself attacked the next day for "blind prejudice" by the Protestant theologians Reinhold Niebuhr and John C. Bennett. He was challenged to debate "the religious test" on national television by Rabbi Maurice N. Eisendrath, president of Reform Judaism's Union of American Hebrew Congregations.He was condemned in a published statement by a hundred religious leaders, excoriated in both the religious and secular press and dropped as a syndicated columnist from a dozen newspapers. ...

For months after the September meeting in Washington Dr. Peale's associates carried on a reproachful correspondence with Mr. Graham, who had taken no public part in the events that followed the Montreux meeting. In this later correspondence Mr. Graham pleaded hazy recollections of the meeting. It also appeared that he had been kept uninvolved in the Washington meeting by advisers who did not want him to endanger his crusades in Catholic countries.

joanne,

There's way too much sh!t hitting the fan for us to open a thread on every damn fool thing that happens in Trumpland.

You don't know what it's like over here. It's a freaking horror show.  cheese 

The thing I most feared about a Trump presidency is that he would just suck up the news cycle everyday with his bullsh!t, preventing us from talking about the important things.

I think I nailed that one.

joanne said:

Why aren’t we discussing Roy Moore’s crowdfunding campaign?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/mar/03/roy-moore-donations-lawsuit-alabama

Or the obvious ‘descent into chaos’ in the White House?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/mar/03/donald-trump-jared-kushner-hope-hicks-tarriffs-nra (I’m staggered that apparently no-one on MOL has mentioned the about-face on gun sales restrictions)

Or even the incident earlier today, where someone apparently killed himself outside the White House?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43273830

joanne said:

(I’m staggered that apparently no-one on MOL has mentioned the about-face on gun sales restrictions)

When Trump seems to say something reasonable, the fact that he walks it back later isn't news anymore.

It's staggering that some people still defend him.

I get both points - after all, that's normal for politics over here - but the thread is meant to be about politics not relatively petty bias-finding, or name-calling. As is so often mentioned, we can refuse to play the distraction game...

I returned here to check for any sign of discussion on those topics (vain to hope for it this week, I know) precisely because they weren't showing up elsewhere, and new threads are too  tedious and enervating. 

Another distraction to throw in for free: the alarming bright red/orange of Cher's hair, in Sydney yesterday. Wow that's eye-catching!

nohero said:

joanne said:

(I’m staggered that apparently no-one on MOL has mentioned the about-face on gun sales restrictions)

When Trump seems to say something reasonable, the fact that he walks it back later isn't news anymore.

It's staggering that some people still defend him.

Agree.

I noticed his usual about face. Its not news because its expected. The surprise will be when he keeps to his word.

And yes. Many still defend him. Why would deplorables not defend him?

And his barefaced advanced notice of impending life-emperorship, as if we are unaware of his tendency towards megalomania. 

If this were a film script, you'd send it back for re-writing.  

hard to believe there were Irish Catholics paying tribute to him this week. I'm dismayed by what our people have become in this country, and what kind of people and policies they support. 

nohero said:

There was the time Billy Graham presided at a gathering to oppose the election of a Catholic president.

www.nytimes.com/1992/10/31/us/beliefs-627392.html#h[]

LOST said:

BCC said:

dave23 said:

BCC said:

dave23 said:

You gave only one definition, the technological one.

http://www.singularitysymposium.com/definition-of-singularity.html

Non-tech:

1. the state of being singular, distinct, peculiar, uncommon or unusual

Seems like a synonym for "unique".

Which of course is precisely why I gave you the note explaining that , for some reason, I coudn't remove the 1 and the definition was for 5.

Meanwhile, I have 2 attempts to change subject of my discussion with dave23. I am waiting for a response to what I wrote about the trade deal and not a response to a spelling error.

This. Every.single.day. He's a master of it and as much as he disses the media, they are his enablers.

drummerboy said:

joanne,

There's way too much sh!t hitting the fan for us to open a thread on every damn fool thing that happens in Trumpland.

You don't know what it's like over here. It's a freaking horror show.  cheese 

The thing I most feared about a Trump presidency is that he would just suck up the news cycle everyday with his bullsh!t, preventing us from talking about the important things.

I think I nailed that one.

Joanne, perhaps you missed the link on Hope Hicks I posted a day or so ago. It generated no response, because she, at 29, has broken a few glass ceilings as well managing to be respected and liked! How about that crazy mix and she is also beautiful and stylish. If what I read is true, she fell for a very good-looking, two time wife abuser. She says she had always tried to keep her name out of the scandal sheets, and that is why she resigned.

As far as trade news, there is this today: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/03/business/economy/tariff-blue-collar.html?rref=collection%2Fissuecollection%2Ftodays-new-york-times

This thread attracts squirrels, stalkers, and assorted cranks, I will admit. But they are exercising  the same right to free speech as we all are. Terribly misguided and, at times, and hateful, but it is what it is. To assume it would be possible to sift out these folks and talk about what perhaps you, or I, believe is more pertinent, it pretty impossible I believe. Public social media is just that — public!

I shall soldier on...

Hope Hicks is a not a person worthy of respect.  She admitted to investigators that she often lied for Donald Trump.  People who knowingly take jobs that require them to lie are not people of integrity.

If Hope Hicks worked for Hillary Clinton and admitted lying for her, you would be slamming her left and right.  But she works for a guy with an R after his name, so you love her.

If anyone in this thread has been consistently terribly misguided it is you. 

mtierney said:

Joanne, perhaps you missed the link on Hope Hicks I posted a day or so ago. It generated no response, because she, at 29, has broken a few glass ceilings as well managing to be respected and liked! How about that crazy mix and she is also beautiful and stylish. If what I read is true, she fell for a very good-looking, two time wife abuser. She says she had always tried to keep her name out of the scandal sheets, and that is why she resigned.

As far as trade news, there is this today: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/03/business/economy/tariff-blue-collar.html?rref=collection%2Fissuecollection%2Ftodays-new-york-times

This thread attracts squirrels, stalkers, and assorted cranks, I will admit. But they are exercising  the same right to free speech as we all are. Terribly misguided and, at times, and hateful, but it is what it is. To assume it would be possible to sift out these folks and talk about what perhaps you, or I, believe is more pertinent, it pretty impossible I believe. Public social media is just that — public!

I shall soldier on...

mtierney said:

Give or take a few details, this was also what you said about Huma Abedin. Or am I misremembering?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.