The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

If World War II had been fought during World War I, the Nazis May have won.  Assuming the Nazis took a time machine back to World War I.

Robert_Casotto said:
If World War II had been fought during World War I, the Nazis May have won.  Assuming the Nazis took a time machine back to World War I.

If red were bananas, then horse.

drummerboy said:

Robert_Casotto said:
 If red were bananas, then horse.

Am I the only one who has been getting the feeling that Robert lives in an area where Marijuana has been legalized?

A lot of his comments strike me as the sort of thing that a person might think funny to say if they were really REALLY baked.

I have a theory he writes jokes for Ted Cruz and tests them out on us.

klinker, if you are right, God forbid, what does our future portend when weed is legal here?

ridski said:
I have a theory he writes jokes for Ted Cruz and tests them out on us.

oh oh 

Househusband Rule#4.  Never discuss Houseband Rule #3.

So this is a real thing - "National Emergency" from our foremost patriotic painter, Jon McNaughton.

http://jonmcnaughton.com/patriotic/national-emergency/

conservatives are so-o-o-o weird

I'm surprised he didn't paint Trump humping the flag.

mtierney said:
how to we define national emergency?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/03/05/us/border-crossing-increase.amp.html

These are families who cross the border, then turn themselves in for asylum.  They cross where they can.  If a wall was built, they'd just go around it and the problem would continue.

That being said - Declaring an "emergency" for which the solution will take years is pretty cynical.

mtierney said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/03/05/us/border-crossing-increase.amp.html

Emergency means that something unexpected and severely dangerous has just happened and requires immediate attention.

If I'm having a Heart Attack someone has to dial 911 and get an Ambulance to take me to the hospital immediately. That's an "Emergency".

If my Dr says my cholestoral  level is much too high and I must cut out certain food and/or take certain medicine that is not an emergency. It's a problem.

and it's a problem that the current administration is making worse.  From the NYT article above:

The main problem is not one of uncontrolled masses scaling the fences, but a humanitarian challenge created as thousands of migrant families surge into remote areas where the administration has so far failed to devote sufficient resources to care for them, as is required under the law.

mtierney said:

You are right, it is subtle, and words matter. Gun violence, for example, is a national emergency, because we are the only country stupid enough to believe that somehow God gave us the right to have guns. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States

Climate change is an emergency, but I would argue it is an international emergency. But that by definition also means it is a national emergency for every country on earth, including us. https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/climate-change-is-a-public-health-emergency/

So when the next Democratic President declares a national emergency on gun violence there should not be too much of an issue with the GOP anymore, but for climate change it feels different. Will they take the position that he/she has to declare an international emergency on climate change, or will they be ok with a national one? Food for thought.

I believe that these past two years of government self-destructive in-fighting has weaken our country. We have to be able to work together to accomplish anything. America needs to address its deteriorating infrastructure, health care, education, climate change, etc. 

A bipartisan gun control bill was passed recently, but hardly anyone acknowledged it. Too busy hurling insults and squabbling with each other. Two years trying to pull DJT down! What a waste of time and American resources.

We are already in pre 2020 election mode. More months of self-destruction for our political process and our politicians lie ahead.

There is no real time for governance.

Into the mix, at least 76,000 very needy human beings intend to enter this country by force of will. Many more will follow. Are we ready as a nation to take them in and provides health care, homes, and jobs for them? I think not.

We should get our own house in order first. Then perhaps attention can be directed at helping nations to help themselves to provide a better life for their own citizens at home. 

Corruption and greed by these governments are the impetus for the exodus in Cental and South America. Right now, our house is not in order.

mtierney said:

Into the mix, at least 76,000 very needy human beings intend to enter this country by force of will. Many more will follow. Are we ready as a nation to take them in and provides health care, homes, and jobs for them? I think not.

Force of will?  These are poor starving people.  You know this and yet you post these hateful lies.  

You are right in saying that we are not ready to provide health care, homes, and jobs for them.  We will process them according to the law.  American law. The same laws which govern your actions.  But again, you know this and continue to post these hateful lies.  

Destructive in fighting indeed.  I've said this to you before and I'll say it again.  I will take the time to have a civil discussion and explain all of this to you when I see you in hell.  

mtierney said:
I believe that these past two years of government self-destructive in-fighting has weaken our country. We have to be able to work together to accomplish anything. America needs to address its deteriorating infrastructure, health care, education, climate change, etc. 
A bipartisan gun control bill was passed recently, but hardly anyone acknowledged it. Too busy hurling insults and squabbling with each other. Two years trying to pull DJT down! What a waste of time and American resources.

The Democrats stand ready to address infrastructure, health care and climate change.

Your president defeated both the Democrats and Republicans in 2016 yet lacked the vision to do anything meaningful with his win.  For your president, this is just reality t.v. and that is the problem.

mtierney said:

Jesus disagrees with you. Luke 10:30-37

Red_Barchetta said:
 Force of will?  These are poor starving people.  You know this and yet you post these hateful lies.  

You are right in saying that we are not ready to provide health care, homes, and jobs for them.  We will process them according to the law.  American law. The same laws which govern your actions.  But again, you know this and continue to post these hateful lies.  

Destructive in fighting indeed.  I've said this to you before and I'll say it again.  I will take the time to have a civil discussion and explain all of this to you when I see you in hell.  

How in the world could you ever understand or conduct a  civil discussion? Spewing hate comes so easily.

mtierney said:

Are you unaware that legally we are required to take the people who are showing up and at least give them a hearing to determine if they are entitled to asylum status?  It's your party that refuses to provide the resources at the border to process these cases in a more timely fashion.  Trying to make the process more torturous for them is not going to deter them when the alternative is risking death in their home countries.

We can all repeat this to you ad infinitum and hope that we may one day get through to you -- but -- the problems that worry and concern you most are not the fault of "both sides."  They are either created or exacerbated by one side -- YOUR REPUBLICAN PARTY.

mtierney said:
We are already in pre 2020 election mode. More months of self-destruction for our political process and our politicians lie ahead.
There is no real time for governance.
We should get our own house in order first. Then perhaps attention can be directed at helping nations to help themselves to provide a better life for their own citizens at home. 
Corruption and greed by these governments are the impetus for the exodus in Cental and South America. Right now, our house is not in order.

You probably won't even read this, since I wrote it, but here goes.

This sentence, right here, is what makes you so infuriating

America needs to address its deteriorating infrastructure, health care, education, climate change, etc.

Don't you realize that the man and the party you voted for are the ones obstructing us on all of these issues?

mtierney said:
 How in the world could you ever understand or conduct a  civil discussion? Spewing hate comes so easily.

What you do not understand or acknowledge is that your statement would appropriately be addressed to Mr. Trump. From his announcement of his candidacy he has been spewing hate and sowing divisiveness.

mtierney said:
I believe that these past two years of government self-destructive in-fighting has weaken our country. 

The two years in which the GOP controlled all three branches of government?

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

Are you unaware that legally we are required to take the people who are showing up and at least give them a hearing to determine if they are entitled to asylum status?  It's your party that refuses to provide the resources at the border to process these cases in a more timely fashion.  Trying to make the process more torturous for them is not going to deter them when the alternative is risking death in their home countries.
We can all repeat this to you ad infinitum and hope that we may one day get through to you -- but -- the problems that worry and concern you most are not the fault of "both sides."  They are either created or exacerbated by one side -- YOUR REPUBLICAN PARTY.

That's right. Its our law. It allows asylum seekers entry and a process to determine their status. There is no force of will.

The problem are republicans subverting our laws with delay, inhumane separations and denying the resources to process asylum requests in a timely manner. We do not have not enough immigration courts and judges, now being seriously overworked and behind.

If this administration really cared they would provide the resources to adjudicate the cases quickly. Instead a mockery is made of our immigration law by their de facto blocking of the asylum request process.

By the way, Trump signing bibles is like the Pope signing condoms.

basil said:

or Michael Vick signing dog collars.

Or Hannibal Lechter signing cookbooks

basil said:

If it was anyone other than Trump signing Bibles the evangelicals / republicans would be calling it blasphemy.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.