The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

mtierney said:

mjc said:
BG9, really?  How about looking at Klinker's post that you quoted, to get an idea how to strongly disagree with another human being/member of the "community" here?  IMO mtierney's response was perfectly in keeping with Klinker's backhanded "welcome," and not an instance of gratuitous complaining.
 appreciate your insight!
 Klinker and I have a looong and cantankerous online connection.His comments offend me consistently, but  I soldier on. It did not surprise me at all that Klinker understood me.
BG9,  OTOH, forgetaboutit!

I don't like kiddie diddlers, sexual predators, racists, misogynists and those that excuse them. They can be your cup of tea but they are certainly not mine.

Those that excuse and therefore enable them do not deserve respect.

BG9 said:

I don't like kiddie diddlers, sexual predators, racists, misogynists and those that excuse them.  

And this really is the problem.  Mtierney has spent years here defending the most vile actors (and their acts) based solely on the fact of their political or religious affiliations.  Her posts reflect an ugly, distasteful side of humanity which many of us would prefer to pretend does not exist. 

I fear that, as happens these days, many of us have become insensitive to these open displays of evil because they have been repeated so many times. 

I don't take joy in anyone's suffering and so I wished mtierney a speedy recovery.  If only that recovery could extend beyond her body to her soul.

and speaking of religion, the faux outrage machine geared up again last night to go after AOC for this tweet:

The fake outrage is over her allegedly "mocking" prayer.  How obtuse does one have to be to understand she wasn't mocking religion or prayer.  She was pointing out the emptiness of the clichéd "sending thoughts and prayers" response from politicians who refuse to do anything of substance regarding violence against worshippers (and students, and workers, and anyone else who happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time).

sorry, meant to NOT understand.

(why can't we edit posts any more?)

ml1 said:
The fake outrage is over her allegedly "mocking" prayer.  How obtuse does one have to be to understand she wasn't mocking religion or prayer.  She was pointing out the emptiness of the clichéd "sending thoughts and prayers" response from politicians who refuse to do anything of substance regarding violence against worshippers (and students, and workers, and anyone else who happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time). 

AOC understands better than her critics.  Prayer doesn't mean that you don't also take action to help prevent these tragedies.  "What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?  If a brother or sister has nothing to wear and has no food for the day, and one of you says to them, 'Go in peace, keep warm, and eat well,' but you do not give them the necessities of the body, what good is it?  So also faith of itself, if it does not have works, is dead." James 2:14-17.

ml1 said:
sorry, meant to NOT understand.

(why can't we edit posts any more?)

And can't delete, either.  

Did someone abuse the privilege and then try to hide the evidence?

Waiting for Trump to start talking about how their were "good people" on both sides of the Christchurch Massacre.  Apparently, the gunmen had great things to say about our man Twitler.

Bad enough we have the 10,000 SALT limit, now we have gotten another FU from the Trump admin:

Replacing the deteriorating train tunnels that link Penn Station and New Jersey isn’t important to the Trump administration, according to a pair of government reports made public Friday.

Building two new tunnels and an replacing an accompanying railway bridge in New Jersey are a “medium-low” priority, said the studies by the Federal Transit Administration, which evaluates local public transit projects.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-metro-politics-trump-admin-zero-funding-gateway-20190315-story.html

Sad. We're the primary enrichers of the nation and the Fed government and in return we're treated like undesirable orphans.

BG9 said:
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-metro-politics-trump-admin-zero-funding-gateway-20190315-story.html
Sad. We're the primary enrichers of the nation and the Fed government and in return we're treated like undesirable orphans.

By making it so personal and petty, he has only made sure that people are going after him and his family personally now too, which will end up costing him plenty of money. 

Yep its all Trumps fault.  Gov. Christie didn't vote for the Tunnel Project.  And what is Murphy doing about it? blaming Christie. 

lord_pabulum said:
Yep its all Trumps fault.  Gov. Christie didn't vote for the Tunnel Project.  And what is Murphy doing about it? blaming Christie. 

Yes, Christie started this. But Trump could end it now that Christie is gone. At this point it is all Trump's fault.

The rewards of voting Republican. How many of you here voted for Christie? Your reward is a big FU.

lord_pabulum said:

because that project is dead. The Gateway project on the table can't be moved forward by Murphy. The feds need to approve the funding for it to move forward. 

ml1 said:

lord_pabulum said:
 because that project is dead. The Gateway project on the table can't be moved forward by Murphy. The feds need to approve the funding for it to move forward. 

Exactly.  

if POTUS tweeted today that he wants the tunnel project to go forward, and has so notified the feds, would anyone here vote for him in 2020?

mtierney said:
if POTUS tweeted today that he wants the tunnel project to go forward, and has so notified the feds, would anyone here vote for him in 2020?

Just that one change wouldn’t change any minds, but that’s no reason for him to be petty about funding infrastructure that’s critical for the economy. 

David Brooks’ take on Booker...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/18/opinion/cory-booker-2020.html

South_Mountaineer
said:
Just that one change wouldn’t change any minds, but that’s no reason for him to be petty about funding infrastructure that’s critical for the economy. 

I spilled my coffee over that comment.   tongue rolleye 

“being “petty” is the default setting on MOL re all things GOP.  Could NJ politicians make nice with the President to get him to see the long term benefits to Republican and Democratic residents and businesses from this project moving forward?

No. I don’t think so.

mtierney said:
“being “petty” is the default setting on MOL re all things GOP.  Could NJ politicians make nice with the President to get him to see the long term benefits to Republican and Democratic residents and businesses from this project moving forward?
No. I don’t think so.

Congratulations,  you have recovered to your fully despicable horrible self.  And just in time for Spring!  

mtierney said:
No. I don’t think so.

Trump lives in Midtown Manhattan, and has a golf club in NJ. Of course he knows the long term benefits. 

You’re saying we should give him a pass on all his other faults so he’ll stop being petty about infrastructure necessary for our long-term economic well-being.  Lucky for me I wasn’t drinking coffee when I read your response. 

mtierney said:
No. I don’t think so.

Unfortunately bi-partisanship is not the flavour of the day at the moment 

lord_pabulum said:

You can't have "bi-partisanship" when one side is evil and crazy and has Mitch McConnell.

Read the papers.

drummerboy said:

lord_pabulum said:
 You can't have "bi-partisanship" when one side is evil and crazy and has Mitch McConnell.
Read the papers.

Wrong again.  You can't have bi-partisanship when both sides are adversarial for the sake of political goals only.

lord_pabulum said:
 Wrong again.  You can't have bi-partisanship when both sides are adversarial for the sake of political goals only.

How are the Dems "adversarial for the sake of political goals only."?

Donald Trump is a bad man.

All the rest is commentary.

drummerboy said:

I really have to stop drinking coffee!  oh oh 

drummerboy said:

lord_pabulum said:

If the only goal of a politician is beating an opponent and winning elections, there is no time to govern and no appetite for constructive compromise.  

ETA:  An academic view

i usually avoid commenting in this thread but 

It’s redundant to say R’s or D’s do things for political or partisan reasons.  

Republicans do things to support the wealthy and their businesses at the expense of the common person. Republicans ally themselves with racists and religious zealots to carry their messages of division and they play this divide and conquer game to the detriment of us all. 

Democrats play in the same pool as the republicans and for the past 40 years have been carried on the current more towards the right. Occasionally a great progressive idea would take hold in a democratic administration and relief would be eased our daily lives, whether from a law like the ACA or from the creation of an oversight organization like the CFPB.  

Now we have a new wave coming of younger Democrat’s with bigger ideas and i hope they succeed in making change as fast as possible. 

Anyone who supports republican ideals also by association supports racism, voter suppression, inequality, and the give away of our tax dollars and social safety net to the wealthiest

South_Mountaineer said:

You’re saying we should give him a pass on all his other faults so he’ll stop being petty about infrastructure necessary for our long-term economic well-being. 

If there is one thing we should have learned by now it is that you can't negotiate with terrorists.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.