The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

A whole lotta lies in Florida, in front of a cheering, fairly uninformed crowd.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/09/us/politics/fact-checking-trump-florida-rally.html

mtierney said:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/08/us/politics/donald-trump-jr-subpoena.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/08/us/politics/trump-executive-privilege-mueller-report.html

Ever wonder what might be happening in Washington if Congress actually did what the members were paid to do? 
Investigating the investigators, negating a $30M two year long report, all to bring down the President. All it is doing is to amp up his base. The over-crowded Democratic field will soon start attacking each other (2016 comes to mind) and nothing important to our national and international security gets accomplished.

The rest of the world has a ring-side seat as America self-destructs.

1. Congress is paid to perform oversight of the Executive Branch.  The 9 investigations into Benghazi is an example of this.    

2.  Investigating the investigators (Strok, Steele, FISA warrant) isn't that what's being pursued by GOP Congresspeople?

3.  The investigation into Russian interference which you cite as having cost $30M resulted in several guilty pleas and collection of some $50M from Manafort alone.  

4.  Yes, the D field will be attacking each other.  So what?  Seems to me The R field did the same thing in 2016.  

You know, it's really hard to have any sympathy for you or your struggles when all you seem to post is half-truths.  

mtierney said:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/08/us/politics/donald-trump-jr-subpoena.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/08/us/politics/trump-executive-privilege-mueller-report.html

Ever wonder what might be happening in Washington if Congress actually did what the members were paid to do? 
Investigating the investigators, negating a $30M two year long report, all to bring down the President. All it is doing is to amp up his base. The over-crowded Democratic field will soon start attacking each other (2016 comes to mind) and nothing important to our national and international security gets accomplished.

hey, what do you think of trump violating his oath of office to defend the constitution? Instead, he's taking a big orange dump on it.

Red_Barchetta said:

4.  Yes, the D field will be attacking each other.  So what?  Seems to me The R field did the same thing in 2016.  

I referred to that 2016 GOP parade of candidates in my post. 2016 got us DJT, after Republican challengers shot each other down. Hillary thought she had it in the bag and thought Trump was a joke — wrong on both counts. 

So, I am interested in who you believe might be the “trumpian” winner in the DNC crowd, who might be left standing?

The least likely - or likeable - candidate who just might pull it off in my thinking would be Cory Booker. He is young, strong, and hungry. No scandals, I have heard about. 

nohero said:
A whole lotta lies in Florida, in front of a cheering, fairly uninformed crowd.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/09/us/politics/fact-checking-trump-florida-rally.html

Why was last night different from all other nights?

mtierney said:
 I referred to that 2016 GOP parade of candidates in my post. 2016 got us DJT, after Republican challengers shot each other down. Hillary thought she had it in the bag and thought Trump was a joke — wrong on both counts. 

Nope. Wrong on the first. right on the second. But the joke's on us.

mtierney said:

The least likely - or likeable - candidate who just might pull it off in my thinking would be Cory Booker. He is young, strong, and hungry. No scandals, I have heard about. 

Keep listening.

I heard former Governor Brendan Byrne tell a story about when he was asked to run for Governor. He said that he consulted former Governor Richard Hughes.

Hughes told him "Don't do it Brendan. You don't realize what you are in for. Your opponents will call a liar. They will say you are a crook. They will say your are a drunkard and a womanizer. Any you know what's even worse? They will lie about you"!

joanne said:
Re the president's announcement that the 'country is full', does that mean after the current batch of pregnancies are delivered there will be a moratorium on births until sufficient 'room' is created for more citizens? (How will you know where this space has been allocated?)

Ever travel to the gigantic middle and middle west? Lots of room for folks.

But today the president is honoring the world champion Red "Socks." Yup. "Socks."

Among its many many offenses is this WH's assault on syntax, spelling, etc. 

Back in the day anyone who wore red socks was presumed to be a Commie.

Red Sox fans are commies?  Rude perhaps, but commies?

mtierney said:
So, I am interested in who you believe might be the “trumpian” winner in the DNC crowd, who might be left standing?

I'm not sure how to answer the question, I think you and I have different ideas of what it means to be 'Trumpian'.

STANV said:

Not sure they're commies. Boston's a crazy mix of lefties and reactionary racists. It's tough here (in RI, 1/2 hour from Gillette) being a Yankees/Giants fan when they worship the NE Cheaters (Patriots) and their patron saint, Tom Brady.

Only satisfaction is that the Giants beat them twice in the Super Bowl.

drummerboy said:

hey, what do you think of trump violating his oath of office to defend the constitution? Instead, he's taking a big orange dump on it.

Gotta cut  back on the carrots.

STANV said:

Commie Mack wore a suit.

GL2 said:
But today the president is honoring the world champion Red "Socks." Yup. "Socks."

You want a different thread: 

What Is Being Said in the Rose Garters?

mtierney said:

That's a surprisingly accurate description of what has been happening the last 2 1/2 years 

DaveSchmidt said:
You want a different thread: 
What Is Being Said in the Rose Garters?

Audible groan on my part.  But, still, nice one.  snake 

nohero said:

Audible groans are the best groans.

hmmm, I gave up garters in the ‘50s. Never looked back!

ridski said:

nohero said:
 Audible groans are the best groans.

Sometimes I keep my groans to myself, to avoid alarming people around me.   cheese 

nohero said:
Sometimes I keep my groans to myself, to avoid alarming people around me.   cheese 

There's a Georgia Satellites song in here somewhere.

ridski said:

nohero said:
 There's a Georgia Satellites song in here somewhere.

Don't hand me no lines.

So this happened at Mar-a-Lago-del-Boca-Vista:

While Trump was meeting with Kim [Jong Un] in Singapore, a club championship was held at Trump International, a course Trump built near Mar-a-Lago in Florida for his rich people friends to join. So anyway, a month later, Trump’s there at his golf course, with the Secret Service and the SWAT team guys and all that stuff. And he sees Ted Virtue, one of the financiers behind the movie Green Book.

Virtue — who wouldn’t speak to me directly, but the story was reported by Golf.com and I confirmed it through two other members of the club — was playing with his kid, who I think is 10 or 11 years old. He [Trump] sees Ted on the 12th hole and decides to drive his cart over there. He tells Ted: Congrats on winning the club championship, but you didn’t really win it because I was out of town.

Ted tries to laugh it off, but Trump is dead serious. Trump says, “We’re going to play these last six holes for the championship.” And Ted’s like, “I’m playing with my son, but thanks anyway.” But Trump says, “No, your son can play too.” So they end up playing.

They get to a hole with a big pond on it. Both Ted and his son hit the ball on the green, and Trump hits his in the water. By the time they get to the hole, Trump is lining up the kid’s ball. Only now it’s his ball and the caddie has switched it. The kid’s like, “Daddy, that’s my ball.”

But Trump’s caddie goes, “No, this is the president’s ball; your ball went in the water.” Ted and his son look at each other confused, not sure if this is really happening. And Trump’s caddie says, “This is the president’s ball. I don’t know what to tell you.”

Trump makes that putt, wins one up, and declares himself the club champion.

For the record, the Golf article, by Michael Bamberger, doesn’t report it the way Rick Reilly relates it.

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/03/10/president-trump-club-championship-did-not-enter/

I think that the most interesting point about that golfing story is that there probably isn't anyone who reads it and thinks "There's NO WAY that story could be true."

Its one thing to lie but the pettiness of the lies is what continues to shock.

Klinker said:
Its one thing to lie but the pettiness of the lies is what continues to shock.

Agree. He's no Mitch McConnell with a political reason for all lies and evasions. This aberration of a POTUS is all about his giant ego. Much more dangerous than yer average radical pol.

ml1 said:
I think that the most interesting point about that golfing story is that there probably isn't anyone who reads it and thinks "There's NO WAY that story could be true."

Amazingly true. What wouldn't we believe about this guy...maybe a legit charity?

But the troops remain faithful, even as DJT forces Walmart et. al. to raise prices as China "pays" tariffs.

The dude in the red shirt looks like he's about to have a coronary.  If only America was more like Star Trek.....

Klinker said:
The dude in the red shirt looks like he's about to have a coronary.  If only America was more like Star Trek.....

Most of the folks in that picture are probably sponsored by our tax dollars

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.