The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

drummerboy said:

Wait. If the judge was in on it, he should have said that the video WAS responsible, right?

These conspiracy stories are so confusing.

That would have been too transparent and undeniable. This way the conspirators can have it both ways.

Note to mtierney: You lost the election. Time to move on.

As Rachel Maddow points out, Benghazi was an attack on us, not a conspiracy cooked up by us.

From Ambassor Rice multiple times, Jay Carney multiple times speaking for the White House, NYT, The President more than once (I'm channeling Joy Behar on that one)' etc? Oh, and Hillary Clinton.

tom said:

Where does it say anywhere it was the cause?

Other than in wingnuts' imaginations.

Unless you can pull full quotations for us, you're wrong.

Perhaps we should let these people have Benghazi-gate. After all, they've been stripped of all other conspiracy theories, delusions about Romney's easy win, etc. Hey Conspira-cons, BHO's covering up something. Let's get to the bottom of this!

"Calling Darryl Issa! Calling Darryl Issa!"

mtierney said:

From Ambassor Rice multiple times, Jay Carney multiple times speaking for the White House, NYT, The President more than once (I'm channeling Joy Behar on that one)' etc? Oh, and Hillary Clinton.

tom said:

Where does it say anywhere it was the cause?

Other than in wingnuts' imaginations.

Sigh. You keep on repeating the same ol' tired and lying talking points. Your one attempt at "proving" that someone actually said what you claim they said sank like a stone.

Impeach BHO! Now!

It's like Republicans learned NOTHING about bad information from Tuesday.

rastro said:

Matthew said:

Tom said:

Matthew said:

Just [1 day] before election day CBS News decided to release additional footage from their September 12 2012 interview with President Obama. The interview occurred just hours after Obama gave his Rose Garden speech on the Libyan embassy attack:

KROFT: Mr. President, this morning you went out of your way to avoid the use of the word terrorism in connection with the Libya Attack, do you believe that this was a terrorist attack?

OBAMA: Well it's too early to tell exactly how this came about, what group was involved, but obviously it was an attack on Americans. And we are going to be working with the Libyan government to make sure that we bring these folks to justice, one way or the other.

http://cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50134495n&tag=mg;60minutes

Shame on CBS News. Our nation no longer has a functioning free press.

Do you disagree that one day after the attack was too early to know?

Obviously the matter at hand is that CBS News should have released the above footage after the 2nd debate (35 days after the attack) when the whole world was talking about what Obama said, and didn't say, about the Libya attack.

Shame on CBS News.

I'm confused. are you saying that Obama should have said, the day after the attack, that it was clearly a terrorist attack? or do you think the CBS interview vindicated him?

The interview should have been released right after it took place. why should they have waited five weeks, as you say, to release it?

The issue is the actions of CBS News, not what Obama should have said. Interviews are edited all the time for time constraints, so CBS can be forgiven that the above segment was not aired during the initial "60 Minutes" broadcast.

But after the 2nd debate, CBS News should have released the above footage when the whole world was talking about what Obama said, and didn't say, about the Libya attack.

The key line from Kroft at CBS News: "Mr. President, this morning you went out of your way to avoid the use of the word terrorism in connection with the Libya Attack."

Candy Crowley and Steve Kroft need to have a chat; and the issues at CBS News did not end when they booted Dan Rather.

mtierney said:

The "revelations" concerning Benghazi will be mind blowing now that the elections are behind us.

Romney lost. Deal with it. His campaign did a good job keeping this "story" alive, but ultimately failed. Woodward went on Hannity and told the story of Romney-ites promising a top-notch source. As with the election, they failed to deliver.

mtierney said:

tom said:

Sitcoms are a shocking new development, aren't they.

Election night one cable news hour clocked in 7 million viewers!

tom said:

@ridski take a look at the quote. The audience number was mtierney's words, not mine. I think Firefly is awesome.

Thanks. Edited again to correct the attribution.

The Benghazi story should serve as a cautionary tale for Republicans. Fox News tried desperately to gin up a scandal, and their untruths and misinformation about it leaked into the mainstream presidential campaign and made Romney look like a jackass. He never brought it up again.

Matthew, so your issue is that CBS should have released the piece to rebut what Crowley said?

Honestly, who cares what he said on the day of the attack? Do people really believe there was enough proof on the day of (or day after) the attack to claim definitively that terrorists were responsible?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=ambassador%20rice%20benghazi%20statemenys&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CFQQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhotair.com%2Farchives%2F2012%2F09%2F16%2Frice-benghazi-attack-was-spontaneous-libya-no-it-wasnt%2F&ei=we2bUMOEFsbm0gG79oCwDQ&usg=AFQjCNGcedy372_YZdNf0tHFMLpxj-ykXg

For instance

I posted this before, maybe even in this thread, but what the heck. once more.

what people on the right don't seem to get is that they are focusing on irrelevant minutiae in this case. who cares if the president said "acts of terror" or "terrorism" or "terrorist attack?" who cares about the timeline? the real issue in this case is much bigger. why did we invade Libya in the first place? why did we need to topple its government? how does Libya fit in the bigger Middle East picture? are any of our military adventures around the world actually making us safer? or LESS safe? our policy around the world pretty much invites insurgent attacks on our facilities. the notion that each and every American stationed in these countries can be guaranteed safety is absurd. These attacks are going to happen, and people are going to die. But the discussion should be about why we pursue the policies we do, and whether or not we're prepared for the inevitable American deaths, and most importantly, are we actually accomplishing anything of strategic value for our citizens.

but we're not having that discussion. we're taking sentences out of context, and parsing words.

mtierney said:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=ambassador%20rice%20benghazi%20statemenys&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CFQQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhotair.com%2Farchives%2F2012%2F09%2F16%2Frice-benghazi-attack-was-spontaneous-libya-no-it-wasnt%2F&ei=we2bUMOEFsbm0gG79oCwDQ&usg=AFQjCNGcedy372_YZdNf0tHFMLpxj-ykXg

For instance

dude - can you read? I mean, at all?

The first part of the article is talking about all of the protests across the Arab world, not specifically about Benghazi. Are you going to argue that the video was not responsible for those protests?

And in the later section of the article, when she is talking about Benghazi, she clearly says she's basing it on the current best information, and furthermore says that the demonstration got hijacked by extremists- clearly implying that the attack itself had nothing to do with the video. She goes on to say (though it's conveniently omitted in the hotair article) that the attack was still under investigation.

jeebus

Just got back from Stop 'n Shop. Enquirer's reporting that BHO has a secret divorce proceeding he's hushing up. Don't know the details beyond the front page. Stay tuned, cons. This could be bigger than Benghazi-gate.

Wasn't that the original guess when Trump said he had a big announcement and the tried to extort the President?

BTW, all of this was first hashed out in a South Park episode in 2008, when McCain, Palin, Barry and big M were supposedly only in it to steal a diamond.

rastro said:

BTW, all of this was first hashed out in a South Park episode in 2008, when McCain, Palin, Barry and big M were supposedly only in it to steal a diamond.

Ah, a reliable source!

:-D

GL2 said:

Just got back from Stop 'n Shop. Enquirer's reporting that BHO has a secret divorce proceeding he's hushing up. Don't know the details beyond the front page. Stay tuned, cons. This could be bigger than Benghazi-gate.

Old news. Where you been?

GL2 said:

grin)

My job on Sunday is to stock up at Shop Rite, and I also peruse the tabloids (or, as Tommy Lee Jones calls them in "Men in Black", "the hot sheets").

I know I'm getting older since I don't recognize half of the names of the people being "exposed".

GL2 said:

Impeach BHO! Now!

I'm sure that is in the works already.

Republicans truly don't care about America. They waste so much frickin' time, it's astounding.

drummerboy said:

mtierney said:

For instance

dude - can you read? I mean, at all?

The first part of the article is talking about all of the protests across the Arab world, not specifically about Benghazi. Are you going to argue that the video was not responsible for those protests?

And in the later section of the article, when she is talking about Benghazi, she clearly says she's basing it on the current best information, and furthermore says that the demonstration got hijacked by extremists- clearly implying that the attack itself had nothing to do with the video. She goes on to say (though it's conveniently omitted in the hotair article) that the attack was still under investigation.

jeebus

Also, conveniently his link from "Hot Air" leaves out the beginning and most important part of her answers:

RICE: Well, first of all, it's important to know that there's an FBI investigation that has begun and will take some time to be completed. That will tell us with certainty what transpired. But our current best assessment, based on the information that we have at present, is that, in fact, what this began as, it was a spontaneous -- not a premeditated -- response to what had transpired in Cairo.

drummerboy said:

GL2 said:

Old news. Where you been?

Ok, ok, I'll admit that I was more focused on Kirsty Alley's weight and other stuff.

"Some people close to Romney, a couple of weeks ago, just showed up at my house and said that they had somebody in a very sensitive position in the U.S. government who was willing to meet with me and give me information about Benghazi," Woodward told Hannity.

The funny folks with the razor sharp quips have arrived to derail this thread! You really need better material.

mtierney said:

The funny folks with the razor sharp quips have arrived to derail this thread! You really need better material.

Not for nothing, but maybe you need better material. Just sayin' ... ;-)

(I count the "not for nothing", and the "just sayin'" and the "winky" as three overused tropes.)

And, another winky for my parenthetical above. ;-)

That damned Woodward is some wise guy.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.