The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

and I'm still bummed I lost my streak...

ml1 said:

and I'm still bummed I lost my streak...

Wicked GOOD humor is alway OK by me; nasty, no. 

Ageism still smarts a tad, even though I am blessed to turn 91 in a couple of weeks, God willing!

See, you try to answer someone’s question and the woke mob accuses you of ageism. 

ridski said:

See, you try to answer someone’s question and the woke mob accuses you of ageism. 

I did learn something today though. I never knew that not reading an entire comment on a message board was a sign of aging. 

Picking up on the thick callus of insensitivity (I might call it a "callous callus") I've developed over the past few years for the self-destructive nature of the MAGA folks, I ask: WhoTF in East Palestine OH would stand in the rain to greet DJT as he blames Biden for a mess made more probable by Trump's de-regulation policies? Who, in the unhealthiest region of the country, would celebrate their governors' refusing free Medicaid money from the gubmint? Or invest in any of the Bannon scams, crypto or wall building, and watch their hard-earned money slip away into rich folks' hands? 

I know "ya can't fix stupid" but there must be some sort of learning curve, even among these life forms.

I'm currently reading the Philip Bump book about Boomers and while our/my passing might make some things better, the average age of the Jan. 6 idiots is in the low 40s and 95% white male. So while much can be laid at Boomers' feet, ain't a lot of good news on the horizon after we shuffle off the old mortal coil. 

This reflection is prompted by seeing news of DJT's "life-saving" Trump Water pallet save the poor folks in East Palestine. I thought about my attempt to try understanding the plight of these folks by reading books like Hillbilly Elegy among others. There, standing next to DJT at the event, was author and newly-minted senator - J.D. Vance. 

OK, I'm done whining as I sit comfortably here in the Northeast complaining about folks trying to eke out a living elsewhere.

GL2 said:

Picking up on the thick callus of insensitivity (I might call it a "callous callus") I've developed over the past few years for the self-destructive nature of the MAGA folks, I ask: WhoTF in East Palestine OH would stand in the rain to greet DJT as he blames Biden for a mess made more probable by Trump's de-regulation policies? Who, in the unhealthiest region of the country, would celebrate their governors' refusing free Medicaid money from the gubmint? Or invest in any of the Bannon scams, crypto or wall building, and watch their hard-earned money slip away into rich folks' hands? 

I know "ya can't fix stupid" but there must be some sort of learning curve, even among these life forms.

I'm currently reading the Philip Bump book about Boomers and while our/my passing might make some things better, the average age of the Jan. 6 idiots is in the low 40s and 95% white male. So while much can be laid at Boomers' feet, ain't a lot of good news on the horizon after we shuffle off the old mortal coil. 

This reflection is prompted by seeing news of DJT's "life-saving" Trump Water pallet save the poor folks in East Palestine. I thought about my attempt to try understanding the plight of these folks by reading books like Hillbilly Elegy among others. There, standing next to DJT at the event, was author and newly-minted senator - J.D. Vance. 

OK, I'm done whining as I sit comfortably here in the Northeast complaining about folks trying to eke out a living elsewhere.

IMHO, using the phrase "even among these life forms" to describe a group of people victimized by the train-derailment-chemical-spill is at best insensitive.  But more likely, a powerful insight into your lack of empathy.   I would expect the above phrase to be used to describe a non-human primate (not your fellow countrymen/women/children with different POVs , values and worldview)  Pax vobiscum.

As a woman, who has been misunderstood by the Boys Club — historically —not just today — my defense might include  misogyny — but I don’t think that  allegation would be uppermost.

Primarily, my “sins” here  — in no specific order — are: Expressing opposing political opinions, or defending my faith,  my conservative POVs, or my right to maintain this thread since the Benghazi debacle 20 years ago.

That being said, that derisive tone expressed in a response earlier very likely explains why Trump was successful back in 2016. 

The ageism issue was introduced here by me when I was accused of misunderstanding the confusion over Politico exposing the Supreme Court abortion decision leak. Period. Nohero, I believe, pointed out that most likely a conservative judge, or wife, was the source of the leak. However, it was Politico which took the story and ran with it. Politico is frequently derided here as — God forbid — seeing both sides of an issue!

What followed was condemnation of me and this news source!!

I would suggest that this tempest in a teapot happens often here. 

ml1 said:

nohero said:

mtierney said:

I believe the president’s trip to Ukraine for a F2F with Zelenskyy was courageous and surely sent the Ukrainians hope.

Back in the day, some of you might recall Maplewood celebrated Ukrainian Independence Day at  an annual special meeting in the Municipal Building — there were a large number of Ukrainians living in town. The Ukraine flag was flown, along with ours.

Paul Surovell says that some of them support Russia's invasion, but of course he would say that.

I should know better than to click on a link without thinking. The page didn't even load, but it still caused me to break my 11,000 post streak of not opening the "whatabout" thread.

LOL

I hope I'm not being ageist or misogynistic when I reiterate for the umpteenth time to you that ml1 was referring to the link in nohero's post, and not your politico link. 

So, after your "who's on first?" post here: https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/forums/discussion/subforum/what-is-being-said-in-the-rose-garden-what-s-happening-in-washington/politics-plus?page=next&limit=36000#discussion-replies-3612185 

the "Boy's Club" has been trying to help you by simply answering your question and nothing more. 

Anyway, enough of this nonsense. I'd love to hear your opinions instead about Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene's latest set of proposals for "Red America" and "Blue America" to "divorce."

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

Better to go out a “winner” than a loser — and it solves the question of what to do with Kamala…

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/02/22/bidenworld-joe-may-not-run-2024-00083905

Before you summarily reject this source, may I remind you that the supreme court leak (still unsolved) came from Politico.

I don't reject the source. I reject the notion that the column is newsworthy. Of course Biden may not run. OTOH he may.

Until then... Here's ml1's reply to your post about the Politico article. It's the only reply to your post about the Politico article. No one else has mentioned it since this response.

You align yourself and your “conservative values” with the people who are like minded, that’s fine. But when you come on here to provoke the “boy’s club” as you like to call it, I don’t think you’re looking for honest discussion. You’re just trying to prove that liberalism is some sort of mental illness, just like the TV and print media you consume. What strikes me as ridiculous is your blind loyalty to republicans, and in the same breath claiming you’re objectively debating with liberals. 

mtierney said:

As a woman, who has been misunderstood by the Boys Club — historically —not just today — my defense might include  misogyny — but I don’t think that  allegation would be uppermost.

Primarily, my “sins” here  — in no specific order — are: Expressing opposing political opinions, or defending my faith,  my conservative POVs, or my right to maintain this thread since the Benghazi debacle 20 years ago.

That being said, that derisive tone expressed in a response earlier very likely explains why Trump was successful back in 2016. 

The ageism issue was introduced here by me when I was accused of misunderstanding the confusion over Politico exposing the Supreme Court abortion decision leak. Period. Nohero, I believe, pointed out that most likely a conservative judge, or wife, was the source of the leak. However, it was Politico which took the story and ran with it. Politico is frequently derided here as — God forbid — seeing both sides of an issue!

What followed was condemnation of me and this news source!!

I would suggest that this tempest in a teapot happens often here. 

that summary is so false. 

Wow. 

RealityForAll said:

IMHO, using the phrase "even among these life forms" to describe a group of people victimized by the train-derailment-chemical-spill is at best insensitive.  But more likely, a powerful insight into your lack of empathy.   I would expect the above phrase to be used to describe a non-human primate (not your fellow countrymen/women/children with different POVs , values and worldview)  Pax vobiscum.

As I said at the outset of the post, I’ve gotten really insensitive about these things, especially about the Trumpiest of places, like EP. Explain to them that dems fought to have brakes ON EVERY CAR but Trump fought the regulation. Then ask them who they prefer in ‘24. Wanna bet it’s DJT?

malapropism — or just an empty vessel?

Haven’t turned to the NYT as yet, so I am not sure if it is the quote of the day, but yesterday, Buttigieg actually journeyed to East Palestine. During an interview at the site, Mayor Pete, paused, seemed confused, and then, apologetically said: “I lost my train of thought.”

MT Greene is a textbook definition….

GL2 said:

RealityForAll said:

As I said at the outset of the post, I’ve gotten really insensitive about these things, especially about the Trumpiest of places, like EP. Explain to them that dems fought to have brakes ON EVERY CAR but Trump fought the regulation. Then ask them who they prefer in ‘24. Wanna bet it’s DJT?

I try to empathize with the MAGA folks. I think I have a decent understanding of their concerns and what motivates them. But at some point, if a person is going to keep hitting themself on the head with a hammer, it's hard to feel sympathy when they get a fractured skull.

mtierney said:

Haven’t turned to the NYT as yet, so I am not sure if it is the quote of the day, but yesterday, Buttigieg actually journeyed to East Palestine. During an interview at the site, Mayor Pete, paused, seemed confused, and then, apologetically said: “I lost my train of thought.”

definitely not a malapropism

GL2 said:

Explain to them that dems fought to have brakes ON EVERY CAR but Trump fought the regulation.

It wouldn’t be helpful to explain it to them, but maybe it’s helpful here.

“However, even if this safety rule had still been in effect, it would not have applied to the Norfolk Southern train that derailed in East Palestine, because it was not categorized as a high-hazard cargo train.”

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2023/feb/17/occupy-democrats/obama-era-safety-rule-high-hazard-trains-was-repea/

“I can tell you right now, because I’m very familiar with that rule, that the rule would have had no impact on this train,” Ms. Homendy [head of the NTSB] said. “Those brakes wouldn’t have been on this one.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/17/business/energy-environment/norfolk-southern-derailment-safety.html

(perhaps obnoxiously quoting my post from 2/17)

Maybe they also need to consider re-defining high-hazard cargo, or requiring modern brakes on all trains?  iirc from the linked article, even the railroad companies were in favor of some of these proposals at one time.

mjc said:

Regarding the actual train wreck, there's a good article in NYT today outlining what could be done, and hasn't been, to prevent or mitigate train/hazmat events. ("gift" link, should open for everyone)

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/17/opinion/ohio-train-derailment-safety-regulation.html?unlocked_article_code=SwfDO4EQSoFr59tAqrPAIAlhW2xiNQt7rf4ZNSLiHSb2bR3nBwoL_084bhOJJYpVXNIR8h2ArQq40ezaKYEgbp_ymEcw6SSalKav5mBSqRJ1wRCYxXAKFXUERQq4yaKV_UaZoNmF308dFt9ApnL3FWl7if0DHPwmTLV-nws4V8JsFZB9TG74sKRqgTk0vxYwVyb2h4oeNvWvKZRn3v7XtOCjHj0nDIVTn0fQkx0_8bSi8g53kwvcWT_3k8sz8RcBlGPFbDJ3Uo9SwZcWunUg5RighKLrhzvB95u9iLVxNbKN7fYhINnG61mUeLTWRoordmaTPp6HDsnPeTMRLL-6X0CPFAXpAG9mRAR9TJeZz-pL&smid=url-share

Reality for all: Given the recent drama during which a pathetic McCarthy ceded complete power to the lunatic fringe in exchange for a little wooden hammer, and his subsequent gift to Tucker, all but insuring a video wingnut version of the 1/6 coup attempt, I have no respect for any of these traitors, from their leaders to their most trailer-trashy troglodytes. Ooh, I like the sound of that alliteration! It’s a keeper.

but, we all should have learned how to control, not escalate hot topic issues and incidents.

How much outrage did you notice from liberals when our cities were burning and businesses were looted and destroyed  during our summers of violence 2020-21?

Somehow this violence was viewed by liberals  as righteous vengeance!

Explain to  me how Chicago, Portland, LA, and NYC  permit city streets to  become homeless shelter?

mtierney said:

but, we all should have learned how to control, not escalate hot topic issues and incidents.

How much outrage did you notice from liberals when our cities were burning and businesses were looted and destroyed  during our summers of violence 2020-21?

Somehow this violence was viewed by liberals  as righteous vengeance!

Explain to  me how Chicago, Portland, LA, and NYC  permit city streets to  become homeless shelter?

I'll skip over your gravely dishonest characterization of what actually happened during in 2020 and 21, and instead focus on a potential point of agreement in your second point -- the question of homelessness.

One big part of the problem is that, while many of our cities have recovered from their lows of the late 20th C, when white flight and de-investment ravaged them, and are now highly attractive places to live and work, the housing supply has not kept pace. And for that we can blame the property owners in our cities and suburbs including -- yes -- plenty of people who vote for Democrats.

While it's not the full solution, a substantial part of the solution is overcoming these NIMBYs. Too many liberals become downright conservative when the issue of housing comes up, and throw all kinds of phony excuses, such as manipulating environmental regulations, to fight housing and preserve what they'll euphemistically call the "neighborhood character."

We're finally seeing real progress against this though. See for instance https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/14/nyregion/housing-ny-hochul-massachusetts-california.html

If conservatives such as yourself are finally getting on board with measures like this, that's great news.

These yahoos tried to overthrow the government. Granted, they are pawns but so are Russian troops sent into battle with little or no prep against a righteous cause. You can't re-educate them. You can only shoot them [Russian troops].

When child molester Gaetz, anti-semite Qanon proponent MTG, Gym "I saw nothing") Jordan, Scott Perry (let's replace the AG to keep DJT in power) are using idiot Kevin McCarthy as if he were Charley McCarthy, we're way beyond reasoning with folks.

And please, the false equivalence is astoundingly disgusting. When victims of everyday racism march against the continuing execution of young black men and there's a small group of troublemakers among them who create damage to property, it's the desperation of the masses - including lots of millennial white kids (to their credit). Also note the alliance of cops and the punk who shot 3 white youths with impunity. Any comparison of the insurrection to BLM is insulting to centuries of dead minorities (including Greeks and Italians in the early 1900s) murdered by white mobs and cops. 

The homeless? Really? These blue cities certainly have their share and they're certainly not helped by Meatball Ron spending taxpayer money to bus other states' immigrants up north just for yuks. 

Compare any blue state or city, such as the ones you name, and you'll find major efforts to solve these problems. You'll also find thriving metropolises which are productive and largely healthy. 

Still glad to see me back on MOL?

I want to say I haven't heard this comparison used before so I'd like to claim "using idiot Kevin McCarthy as if he were Charley McCarthy..." 

As you were.

GL2 said:

I want to say I haven't heard this comparison used before so I'd like to claim "using idiot Kevin McCarthy as if he were Charley McCarthy..." 

As you were.

because very few people still alive get this reference 

ml1 said:

GL2 said:

As you were.

Balls. I'm not even from here and I got it.

*crawl back into pretend Millennial hole*

j/k I'm so stupidly gen x it's like Charlie McCarthy raised me*.

*The reason why I am so weird is because I was raised by Charlie McCarthy.

GL2 said:

These yahoos tried to overthrow the government. Granted, they are pawns but so are Russian troops sent into battle with little or no prep against a righteous cause. You can't re-educate them. You can only shoot them [Russian troops].

When child molester Gaetz, anti-semite Qanon proponent MTG, Gym "I saw nothing") Jordan, Scott Perry (let's replace the AG to keep DJT in power) are using idiot Kevin McCarthy as if he were Charley McCarthy, we're way beyond reasoning with folks.

And please, the false equivalence is astoundingly disgusting. When victims of everyday racism march against the continuing execution of young black men and there's a small group of troublemakers among them who create damage to property, it's the desperation of the masses - including lots of millennial white kids (to their credit). Also note the alliance of cops and the punk who shot 3 white youths with impunity. Any comparison of the insurrection to BLM is insulting to centuries of dead minorities (including Greeks and Italians in the early 1900s) murdered by white mobs and cops. 

The homeless? Really? These blue cities certainly have their share and they're certainly not helped by Meatball Ron spending taxpayer money to bus other states' immigrants up north just for yuks. 

Compare any blue state or city, such as the ones you name, and you'll find major efforts to solve these problems. You'll also find thriving metropolises which are productive and largely healthy. 

Still glad to see me back on MOL?

Absolutely! we can discuss, consider, and comment and still behave civilly , I hope.

I do not condone mob violence, burning and destroying small business, and  civic and law enforcement buildings as an expression of righteous “compensation” for “centuries” of past wrongdoing. Justifying one evil with more evil doesn’t work! 

mtierney said:

Absolutely! we can discuss, consider, and comment and still behave civilly , I hope.

I do not condone mob violence, burning and destroying small business, and  civic and law enforcement buildings as an expression of righteous “compensation” for “centuries” of past wrongdoing. Justifying one evil with more evil doesn’t work! 

Seeing as that’s your only opinion expressed here, we must presume that you condone mob violence, burning and destroying small business, and civic and law enforcement buildings for all the other reasons.

ml1 said:

I recently had to explain “Plunk your magic twanger, Froggy!” to my spouse while comparing John Kennedy (GOP senator) to Andy Devine. Now that’s old!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Rentals

Advertise here!